• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Odd/Funny named Villages

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
My personal favourites locally are Mavis Enderby and Belchford.

Douglas Adams used a lot of good ones in The Deeper Meaning of Liff to define things that don't have a word.

John Webb

Established Member
"Christmas Common" in Oxfordshire and "Cold Blow" in Pembrokeshire might be topical at the moment?
When living in SE London, one of the many 'Bottoms' I found amusing in the Kentish countryside not far away was "Pratt's Bottom" as my geography master's name was Pratt!

bishdunster

Piddlehinton and Piddletrentide near Dorchester (Dorset), and not forgetting about 10 miles up the road near Bere Regis Sh**terton :oops: !!!

W-on-Sea

Established Member
Oddington and Thrupp both spring to mind in the greater Oxfordshire area. Matching Tye in Essex, too.

Bushy

There are a few in Kent:
Pluck's Gutter - Thanet
Thong - Gravesham
Pett Bottom - Canterbury

Possibly one of the oddest spelling/pronunctiations is
Trottiscliffe ("Trozli") - Tonbridge & Malling

Regards

Bushy

Last edited:

David

Established Member
The best combination of hames I came across while working in the mortgages department of a national bank, involved the name of a village that's already been mentioned, with the last word in the house name being "Krusty"

For some strange reason, the combination caused more than the odd giggle in the office :lol:

(Let's see who the first person is to work it out ;) )

ThePannier

The best combination of hames I came across while working in the mortgages department of a national bank, involved the name of a village that's already been mentioned, with the last word in the house name being "Krusty"

For some strange reason, the combination caused more than the odd giggle in the office :lol:

(Let's see who the first person is to work it out ;) )

Krusty Krab from Spongebob? [emoji3]

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

High Dyke

Established Member
Ashby Puerorum, Claxby Pluckacre, Drinsey Nook, Bicker Gauntlet, Bag Enderby and finally Carlton Scroop (where the Mem originates from). All are in Lincolnshire.

Bevan Price

Established Member
In Lancashire, Crank (near St. Helens), Crooke (near Wigan), Grimeford (south of Chorley).

Plus, although it is a road, not a village, there is Slag Lane (Haydock, near St. Helens) - to the best of my knowledge, the lane is not renowned for ladies with "liberal" morals.

deltic1989

Established Member
2 Pages and Cockermouth hasn't come up yet? Or am I the only one here with my mind that far in the gutter :lol: .
If towns outside the UK are allowed there is the rather amusingly named Dildo, in Canada. Allegedly they have an annual event called "Dildo Day", where competitions are held to win "Dildo Dollars" which are accepted on that day in local stores.
I suppose on the same subject it would be rude not to mention F*cking in Austria, or W*nkendorf.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
If towns outside the UK are allowed there is the rather amusingly named Dildo, in Canada. Allegedly they have an annual event called "Dildo Day", where competitions are held to win "Dildo Dollars" which are accepted on that day in local stores.
I suppose on the same subject it would be rude not to mention F*cking in Austria, or W*nkendorf.

I see all your suggestions and raise you Kn*blick, Missouri.

Rick1984

Six Mile Bottom in Suffolk makes me think of a huge posterior.

Little and Greater Snoring in Norfolk
Snodland I think in Essex or Suffolk

Strathclyder

Established Member
A few of my favourites from around Scotland:

• Furnace, Argyll
  • Dollar, Clackmannanshire
  • Moscow, East Ayrshire
  • Spott, East Lothian
  • California, Falkirk
  • Dull, Perth and Kinross (twined with Boring, Oregon)
  • Bowling, West Dunbartonshire

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.