• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Odd/Funny named Villages

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
There's a couple of ****ts in Scotland (one in Shetland, the other in the Orkneys). There's a place called Shags near Wareham (not sure if it's just the name of a road or the name of a village).

Abroad there's a town called F*cking in Austria

IanD

Established Member
There's Fulking and Fulking Hill in the South Downs. Much used as an expletive in Geography lessons.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Not really funny, but there is hamlet in France called "La Mort aux Juifs" - Death to the Jews. Apparently the name is not in reference to what it would suggest, and it is moreso the evolution of Old French which is to blame.

Understandably there have been movements made to try and get the name changed...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Mort_aux_Juifs

(Mods, if inappropriate, feel free to remove.)

During my schooldays, we decided to take our German exchange partners shopping in Manchester. Travelling via Halifax as that's where a fair few of the German class were from, our visitors were horrified when the train pulled into a station called "DeathKill" (Todmorden).

Back into English, fans of Half Man Half Biscuit will of course be familiar with Lord Hereford's Knob!

Last edited:

Bushy

Six Mile Bottom in Suffolk makes me think of a huge posterior.

Little and Greater Snoring in Norfolk
Snodland I think in Essex or Suffolk

Can't find reference to a Snodland in East Anglia but there is one in Kent, it has a station on the Medway Valley Line.

Regards

Bushy

fowler9

Established Member
There is a **** Haus on top of the **** in Germany. The **** rises to about 1780 metres.

The forum kindly automatically *'d out the name of the mountain. Ha ha.

Last edited:

Zamracene749

Always liked Great Fryup in North Yorkshire- Not far from Egton too :)

Shilbottle (as mentioned earlier) generally has the L on the nearby roadsigns crossed with black marker to make a t......similar abuse happens to the n on road signs for Snitterton near Rothbury.

Wideopen and Longbenton in Tyneside...

An odd one I saw was Shilbottle.

On a rail replacement service between Berwick-upon-Tweed and Newcastle several years ago, EVERY signpost I saw showing the direction to Shilbottle had a horizontal line added to the first letter l! In a similar vein, the village of Bothell (on the A595 between Cockermouth and Carlisle) had a letter r inserted. Nearby is the village of Torpenhow, sometimes pronounced Trepenna!

sprinterguy

Established Member
Sheepy Magna (and Sheepy Parva)
These two always amused me when scanning the environs on the map, driving down the M1 or the M42: The one in the vicinity that always had my brother in hysterics was "Barton in the Beans", however. :lol:

Cambus731

I do regret not keeping a photo I took of Cambus' last Leyland National departing Cambridge bus station on the 115 to Six Mile Bottom back in 1996.

I suppose I'm a bit biasd because I lived there for 12 years, but I thought Cherry Hinton was a lovely name for a village. Not only is it a woman's name, but I believe it is unique on the planet for a place name

fowler9

Established Member
I've been to a village called Geraldine in New Zealand. Very nice it was to. I've also been to Runcorn in Australia and Birkenhead and Garston in New Zealand. All 3 were significant improvements on the ones here. Ha ha.

Harbon 1

There's a ****t on Orkney and a ****t on Shetland (villages btw ;))

As for roads, outside Ashbourne there's a Lady Hole Lane

And Bunny in Nottinghamshire always made me giggle

Railsigns

Established Member
I like how there's a pair of adjacent villages near Market Rasen that reference each other: Newton by Toft and Toft next Newton.

Status
Not open for further replies.