• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Off lease HST's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

nat67

Established Member
One for the odd category is GBRf's 50007/049 Working a Long Marston to Laira move today with a green TGS and faded blue 43091. Could be for spares I wonder?
It was actually LHC 12161 which was moved from Reading on Sunday.

43 302

Established Member
Today they worked back to Long Marston with 43 086. Anyone know the purpose of these journeys?

fgwrich

Established Member
It was actually LHC 12161 which was moved from Reading on Sunday.
Indeed - One of those vehicles which from a distance looks TGS like. Surprised they've used that, although being a GWR Stock move it does make sense.

So, with 086 being returned to Long Marston today, it would appear that it has been swapped for 091 which I understand has virtually new wheelsets.

Spirit555

3 x MK3's for scrap, ex LNER.

66754 + 42117 42163 42306

5Z45 10:24 Gascoigne Wood to Booths

Established Member
47802 taking 6 ex GWR Mk 3s from Ely to Doncaster Works at minute travelling up ECML out of Peterborough 44004/020/024/035/040 and 42503 been reported

On Moderation
47802 taking 6 ex GWR Mk 3s from Ely to Doncaster Works at minute travelling up ECML out of Peterborough 44004/020/024/035/040 and 42503 been reported
Interesting that a load of TGS vehicles are included. Is that for component recovery - 42503 is not down as a ScotRail conversion - or are ScotRail taking TGSs as the fifth vehicle for their sets.

Speed43125

Interesting that a load of TGS vehicles are included. Is that for component recovery - 42503 is not down as a ScotRail conversion - or are ScotRail taking TGSs as the fifth vehicle for their sets.
It wasn't the original plan, but word is that it is likely the case so they can improve bicycle provisions, no idea if that's a firm thing yet though, so can't really concretely comment on it's affect here.

Phil Scott

Could these be more coaches for GWR rather than ScotRail?

fgwrich

Established Member
From photos I've seen on Flickr, 47813 is the loco, not 47802.

Indeed, it's a ROG Move so would be 813. 802 is a West Coast Loco and has been maroon for a few years now.

Could these be more coaches for GWR rather than ScotRail?

I doubt it - all the GW Conversions went up with their TGS's, and I believe the last rake is being converted at the moment. There's still more than enough at Laira and SPM for any future conversions too. From what I've heard so far these will be for ScotRail - which fully makes sense for the reasons outlined above, as the current cycle design has pretty much been deemed by many as inadequate (both in design and number of cycle spaces).

On Moderation
I doubt it - all the GW Conversions went up with their TGS's, and I believe the last rake is being converted at the moment. There's still more than enough at Laira and SPM for any future conversions too. From what I've heard so far these will be for ScotRail - which fully makes sense for the reasons outlined above, as the current cycle design has pretty much been deemed by many as inadequate (both in design and number of cycle spaces).
At a guess the cost saving from only converting two doors on a TGS to sliding doors will all but offset the extra costs of an extra nine vehicles taken on to give a uniform fleet of 2+5 sets. There's a big operational benefit to be had as well from a common fleet.

fgwrich

Established Member
At a guess the cost saving from only converting two doors on a TGS to sliding doors will all but offset the extra costs of an extra nine vehicles taken on to give a uniform fleet of 2+5 sets. There's a big operational benefit to be had as well from a common fleet.

Indeed so. I've always reckoned the TGS would be ScotRail's best bet. Remove the redundant Guards Office (admittedly an unpopular opinion as the guards seem to prefer them over the new design in the TGFB), increase the saloon space by around 4 or so seats and largely leave the van space as is. Modify the existing slam door (guard operated only) and as you say, convert the two remaining doors.

On Moderation
Indeed so. I've always reckoned the TGS would be ScotRail's best bet. Remove the redundant Guards Office (admittedly an unpopular opinion as the guards seem to prefer them over the new design in the TGFB), increase the saloon space by around 4 or so seats and largely leave the van space as is. Modify the existing slam door (guard operated only) and as you say, convert the two remaining doors.
It's probably not worth the extra 4 seats against the cost of removing the guard's office. It'd be easier just to make the rest of the vehicle slightly higher density seating (but not FGW-style high density!).

CC 72100

Established Member

I did hear that from several Guards during my Scottish trip recently, that whilst on the whole they disliked the classics due to the doors and general run down nature (although I didn't find them too bad), they much preferred the TGS for Guard accommodation.

Dart34518

Seems to have had a stock swap at NH with some coaches from NL06 off to booths.. First EMR coaches for scrap?

Booths must be rather full with all of these recent arrivals..

On Moderation
Seems to have had a stock swap at NH with some coaches from NL06 off to booths.. First EMR coaches for scrap?

Booths must be rather full with all of these recent arrivals..
I assume you mean at Neville Hill not Newton Heath?
:s;)

tricky18jan

Can someone confirm a top n tail scrap move of EMR coaches today?
Seen a video on Facebook but no info other than todays date on it

thanks
Rich

Swimbar

Can someone confirm a top n tail scrap move of EMR coaches today?
Seen a video on Facebook but no info other than todays date on it

thanks
Rich

5Z43 operated Neville Hill to SIMS Newport.
There has also been a movement of ECS from Gascoigne Wood to Neville Hill

Status
Not open for further replies.