• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Open days 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclops

Any works or depots open days planned for 2010 or have I missed some already?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Crossforth

Established Member
I know there is something happening in Blackpool this year as my uncle works for Northern and my aunt is helping with the catering but I have no idea what :oops:

eos

Its NOT been postponed as far as I am aware... I notice Roark has just one post after joining , and it seems to be a malicious attempt to upset some very worthwhile efforts - I wonder why ? mmmmmmm SUSPICIOUS!!!

theblackwatch

Established Member
Sadly, it seems the posting made last night was actually correct, even though the poster was accused of trolling. Disappointing news for all who worked hard at the event, perhaps there are a few lessons to be learnt though for next year. (Note the event is postponed, not cancelled.)

The Gwili may do better now though as a result?

such a shame, I would have loved to do that, esp since it is so close to me

Sadly, it seems the posting made last night was actually correct, even though the poster was accused of trolling.
successful_troll2.jpg

Crossforth

Established Member
It is with great surprise and considerable disappointment that we have today learned that Railcare Limited, the operators of Wolverton Works, have decided that it will not be possible to proceed with the Open Weekend at Wolverton on 14 and 15 August this year, and they have issued the statement noted below.

We would like to make it clear that all those who have booked tickets for this weekend event will receive FULL refunds.
Internet bookings will be refunded via Worldpay,
and those who paid by cheque will receive FULL refund by cheque.
However, this creates logistical difficulties, and we are anticipating that it will take up to four weeks to make all the refunds.

Trade stand holders will also be receiving FULL refunds within the next 14 days.

As railway enthusiasts, we would also like to express our own disappointment that the event will not go ahead as planned.

Railcare Ltd have issued the following statement:

“it is with regret that we have to announce the postponement of the Wolverton works Open Weekend as scheduled for the 14th and 15th of August 2010. Unfortunately ticket sales have been much lower than anticipated and as such we will be unable to support the event.

The open day is not only arranged so that Railway enthusiast can access our historic site; it is also there to support and contribute to the local community and nominated charities. Without the ticket sales we won’t be able to do this and maximise the huge effort put in by all involved losing much needed return and value from the weekend.

Our choice to postpone and not cancel the event means that the hard work by individuals so far will not be lost and a better understanding of the low tickets sales can be achieved to help support a more successful event in the summer of 2011.

I have no doubt that everyone who has been actively involved and those looking forward to enjoying the weekend will fully understand the decision that has been made and the important reasoning behind it.

We extend our apologies for any disappointment and disruption we might have caused and look forward to your continued support into next years event.

Further details will be posted on our web site”

Please see Railcare Ltd. web site for more details

http://www.transportevent.co.uk/index.html

Established Member
Personally hope the 92 tour doesnt get cancelled, would be nice to still do that

the concrete cow tour looks destined to be caped, shame because they made an effort getting decent traction and different locos in each direction, an idea would be to run the tour to Euston as its pointless going to Wolverton now.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I wonder if there was another reason for the cancellation of the event other than poor advance ticket sales given that there were still a few weeks until the event and many people would either book later on or pay on the door given that individuals booking in advance only stand to save £1.50 (or pay exactly the same price if a child or senior) if booking one ticket once advance fees and postage costs were taken into account.

Bad decision to call it of because of poor ticket sales. I believe alot would have been paying on the day.

Really disappointed, I was booked on the 92 tour from Preston which I expect will now be cancelled. Only reason it would be worth still running would be to offer a day out in london and take the 92 into Euston, something that I think has never happened, but then are 92's passed into Euston?.

Established Member
Really disappointed, I was booked on the 92 tour from Preston which I expect will now be cancelled. Only reason it would be worth still running would be to offer a day out in london and take the 92 into Euston, something that I think has never happened, but then are 92's passed into Euston?.

Certainly are, not uncommon on the sleeper empties and one has worked Euston-Rugby on a tour years back.

Expected really. Both heavly booked aswell by the looks of things.

This going to look like a huge blunder on Railcares part.

AnnaGawan

The Railway Magazine can confirm that, due to circumstances beyond our control, the Wolverton Works Open Weekend of August 14/15 2010 will not be taking place.

This was a decision taken by RailCare, the operator of Wolverton Works. Regrettably, The Railway Magazine was not consulted prior to this decision being taken.

As Britain's top-selling rail publication, The Railway Magazine has facilitated extremely successful public events of this nature in the past. Last year's Eastleigh Weekend was, in fact, one of the most popular rail open events ever staged in the UK with more than 19,000 people attending. We can confirm that ticket sales for Wolverton were entirely within expected levels of demand and comparable with those of the previous events at the same stage.

Our immediate priority is to ensure that readers of The Railway Magazine will receive their entitlements and they are therefore referred to the Transport Event Services Ltd website (www.transportevent.co.uk), which contains details of refunds. TES can also be contacted at Lime Tree Lodge, Thorpe Road, Mattersey, DN10 5ED; Tel: 01777 817798, but owing to the huge number of applications that now have to be processed, please allow at least 21 days for a response.

Alex Robb, publishing director of The Railway Magazine, says: “We naturally feel very disappointed for the thousands of rail enthusiasts who, like us, were looking forward to the Open Weekend. We wish to extend our thanks to the many who had invested a great deal of time and money in helping to promote and arrange this event.”

- Ends -

Notes to Editors: The Railway Magazine will feature a related news story in its next issue, published on August 4.

FOR MORE INFORMATION PLEASE CONTACT:
Anna Gawan, press officer, IPC Media on 020 314 85405 or email [email protected]

Established Member
Tyne and Wear Metro along with DB Regio have recently announced the Gosforth depot will hold an open day on Sunday 8th August, 11am-4pm. Free shuttle bus from Stand A at Regent Centre station to the event.

Crossforth

Established Member
Tyne and Wear Metro along with DB Regio have recently announced the Gosforth depot will hold an open day on Sunday 8th August, 11am-4pm. Free shuttle bus from Stand A at Regent Centre station to the event.

Have you got any more info on this as I wouldn't mind going

Status
Not open for further replies.