• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

OpenTTD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reddog785

For those who want Transport Tycoon Deluxe to work on Windows 2000,XP and/or Vista should type "OpenTTD" on Google and have a look. Downloading OpenTTD is an open source clone of TTD but compatible with Windows operating systems much too new for TTD.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I've been playing this for a few years now and really enjoy it. The version I have is really good and allows for things to be built under bridges and also has destinations for passengers rather than just assuming passengers want to go to the next station along the line.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
and also has destinations for passengers rather than just assuming passengers want to go to the next station along the line.

Ah good. I've been waiting that feature, might have to try openttd again.

Reddog785

I've been playing this for a few years now and really enjoy it. The version I have is really good and allows for things to be built under bridges and also has destinations for passengers rather than just assuming passengers want to go to the next station along the line.

Huh??? On my version I would get a train 100% full and after 1 stop all passengers would disembark!!!

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Huh??? On my version I would get a train 100% full and after 1 stop all passengers would disembark!!!
Well that's because you don't have the same version I have... :roll:

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Version I have is h3b244a8f.

Go into 'Advanced settings,' and under 'Economy' tab, change the bottom four options to 'chosen destinations.'

Reddog785

The thing I like doing best on that game is using the scenario editor to create real life areas and locations and building their local transport systems.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Come on then, let's see what extravagant designs everyone has done!

This game is based on a core high-speed route (using Eurostars) from London to Glasgow with branches and local networks, including local stations on the main route. As well as the trains, there is a single tram line serving Sheffield and linking to Chesterfield, a tram network in the West Midlands and a bus link from Darlington to Durham. There is also a shuttle bus Sunderland to Gateshead as the former station is closed due to low usage (as indicated by the crossed line on the routemap).

The junction in the screenshot is where my Manchester to London high-speed services join the core route (at the top), and where my Glasgow to Birmingham high-speed services leave the core route (to the left). The other two tracks are the slow lines for the Birmingham to Hull (via Leeds & York) service; the Glasgow to Birmingham services join this line at a junction to the left (not seen). You can also see the remains of the Nottingham to Leicester tramway. The high-speed route passes through Leicester without stopping as I closed the station because nobody was using it. The tramway was supposed to be a replacement but nobody used that either so I just left the tracks there! A few sections were removed whilst building this junction although the rest of it remains!

I've also uploaded a routemap I did in MS Paint; black lines are the high-speed services and local trains are in other colours. A single colour indicates a direct service, although not necessarily by the route shown (eg: Manchester - Birmingham services don't join the core route and then leave again moments later, they take a direct route through (not stopping at) Tamworth but the map shows the services and the stations they call at!

Attachments

• national express East Coast, 4th May 2196.png
    national express East Coast, 4th May 2196.png
    275 KB · Views: 47
  • routemap.gif
    routemap.gif
    7.8 KB · Views: 44

will1337

Oh wow, thank you. I can't believe I missed this game the first time around as I've always loved Sim City. I actually lost about 6 hours earlier and wondered where the day went.

Mojo, is there a way to have the UK map grow in a way similar to the UK in reality? As at the moment I've got random towns very close together around the map. Found it very easy to pick up with a few glances at the manual because it's effectively the same interface as Rollercoaster Tycoon.

will1337

Ah, there are scenarios. Missed that, probably because I just jumped into a game. Still I may rename a few Cornish towns. I will try that in a few days when this fleshes out slightly. Thanks, it'll be a while before I tire of interweaving expresses, DMUs and coal trains.

MCR247

Established Member
I've downloaded openTTD, but it says 'sample.cat' is missing? Any help

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
You need the original Transport Tycoon Deluxe in order to play OpenTTD.

If you can't obtain a legitimate copy then download it here.

Reddog785

I've downloaded openTTD, but it says 'sample.cat' is missing? Any help

"sample.cat" is one of the original graphics from the TTD disc. You still need TTD installed. However, there is a forum post somewhere on the TTD.net forums including a link to download the graphics

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Has anyone installed any patches successfully?

I'd like the Improved Timetable Management patch but I can't get it to work.

I followed the instructions using TortoiseSVN but I just get errors.

Is it because I am trying to use the latest version (0.7.3) and the patch isn't designed for it?

Status
Not open for further replies.