• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ordsall Chord

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Chrisyd

A couple of update shots, firstly the wires over the chord:

by Chris Davis, on Flickr

Can confirm that these do not yet go through Salford Central where only the side wire is up.

Updated picture of the bridge:

The signals at the start of the chord have been turned on and both are Red (unsurprisingly!) unfortunately could not get the angle (or seat on the correct side) to get a picture.

Finally there is a new panorama picture in the album: https://flic.kr/s/aHskvAnDBv

Last edited:

Jamesrob637

Established Member
A couple of update shots, firstly the wires over the chord:

Can confirm that these do not yet go through Salford Central where only the side wire is up.

Updated picture of the bridge:

The signals at the start of the chord have been turned on and both are Red (unsurprisingly!) unfortunately could not get the angle (or seat on the correct side) to get a picture.

Finally there is a new panorama picture in the album: https://flic.kr/s/aHskvAnDBv

Fantastic!! Would be a laugh if someone turned the signals to green though :D

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Same sort of laugh that happened at Waterloo one morning during the blockade.

Ha ha. Override a key safety system for a laugh and possibly kill people.

Words fail me.

Over which there could possibly be prosecutions and termination of employment. Hilarious.

Hang on... is the track on the chord even connected yet? Nothing would happen regardless. I understand the reactions above (safety is a serious matter) but a bit of an OVER-reaction if you ask me. A proceed aspect showing on a signal on a short, disconnected length of track WOULD be quite funny and WOULDN'T actually endanger anyone or anything. That poster was in no way advocating tampering with signals on a live railway, and it's quite a leap to suggest they were.

I get it, but calm down for Pete's sake! :roll:

Last edited:

Joseph_Locke

Established Member
Within earshot of trains passing the one and half
Hang on... is the track on the chord even connected yet? Nothing would happen regardless. I understand the reactions above (safety is a serious matter) but a bit of an OVER-reaction if you ask me. A proceed aspect showing on a signal on a short, disconnected length of track WOULD be quite funny and WOULDN'T actually endanger anyone or anything. That poster was in no way advocating tampering with signals on a live railway, and it's quite a leap to suggest they were.

I get it, but calm down for Pete's sake! :roll:

It's all connected up and part commissioned - that's why the signals are lit.

TBSchenker

Railhead has silver on points From Water St Jn towards the new bridge. Not sure if it’s RRVs in a possession or some sort of test train has been overnight. Not like that yesterday.

driver9000

Established Member
According to the Weekly Notices the chord is now a real railway open to traffic. However I notice possession boards are still in place so don't expect to travel over it soon.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
I drove along Trinity Way Saturday late evening so was able to view the structure close up albeit brief glimpses as I was driving !! Certainly looks like masts and wires are up, and I saw the aforementioned signals, thankfully both on red for now! Does anybody know when trains will start operating on it on test runs?

absolutelymilk

Established Member
I went to MOSI today and took a few pictures (will upload later) and I think I saw a Northern DMU running over it (this was about 14.50) if anyone can check if something ran? Might have been on a neighbouring line though as I was quite far away at the time and I'm not familiar with the area.

Geeves

Established Member
Had a look on real time trains and there is nothing showing but the few trains running to Liverpool, Blackpool and Southport. All went via the Chat Moss today as there was a block on through Salford Crescent to Vic. No reason to doubt it might have been a test inside the posession. What unit was it? There was a Blackpool train running by about that time.

leananger

Its probably way back in the thread, but which services will use the chord when it opens for traffic?

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Its probably way back in the thread, but which services will use the chord when it opens for traffic?

Looks like it will be the Northern Leeds-Bradford-Rochdale-Victoria service extended in some hours to Oxford Road.
There may be a few early/late TPE Leeds-Airport services.
ECS services working to/from Newton Heath will also use the chord to save reversal at Salford Crescent.
Otherwise, nothing until the major timetable change next May.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Looks like it will be the Northern Leeds-Bradford-Rochdale-Victoria service extended in some hours to Oxford Road.
There may be a few early/late TPE Leeds-Airport services.
ECS services working to/from Newton Heath will also use the chord to save reversal at Salford Crescent.
Otherwise, nothing until the major timetable change next May.

So, all diesel under the new wires then? Oh dear

Nean

To my knowledge the only place electric only trains can go at the moment at one end is Victoria... Unless they decide to extend the Picc-Airport shuttle to Victoria I doubt much will use the wires until either Stalybridge is juiced up or Bimodes come into play.

notlob.divad

Established Member

Yes, but surely a hell of a lot easier to wire it up now, rather than come back at an unspecified point in the future to add wires as a seperate project, before the TPE bi-modes start running.

lejog

Established Member

As has been said many times before, if you turn Victoria into a through station and electrify 3 of the 4 lines running to the west, but neither of the lines to the east, this is what happens.

Geeves

Established Member
At some point soon there will be no electric trains to Vic what so ever. Thankyou to Grayling and his cost cutting.

Dunc108

The Victoria - Preston service will be electric when they finish wiring the Bolton route. You could extend the Piccadilly - Airport shuttle or even just a few of them to Victoria - I don't see why it couldn't be an hourly service on Sundays when alot less trains are running.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
At some point soon there will be no electric trains to Vic what so ever. Thankyou to Grayling and his cost cutting.

Only from Liverpool, when the stopper gets diverted to the Airport.
By then there will be EMUs to Preston and beyond.
TPE's bi-modes will start in 2019.
Blame Network Rail for emptying the electrification pot, not Grayling.

lejog

Established Member
Only from Liverpool, when the stopper gets diverted to the Airport.
By then there will be EMUs to Preston and beyond.
TPE's bi-modes will start in 2019.
Blame Network Rail for emptying the electrification pot, not Grayling.

Well one EMU (from Blackpool) from May 2018. And likely a 769 bi-mode from Wigan. I almost feel sorry for Grayling, as you say there's little he could about Network Rail's overspends, nor was he responsible for their flawed electrification strategy - earlier governments signed that off.

The Victoria - Preston service will be electric when they finish wiring the Bolton route. You could extend the Piccadilly - Airport shuttle or even just a few of them to Victoria - I don't see why it couldn't be an hourly service on Sundays when alot less trains are running.

The Piccadilly to Airport shuttles are disappearing in May 2018, aren't they? No extra services through Castlefield before the signalling upgrade due by then.

snowball

Established Member
The Piccadilly to Airport shuttles are disappearing in May 2018, aren't they? No extra services through Castlefield before the signalling upgrade due by then.
How will stations on the Styal line be served?

Status
Not open for further replies.