• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Paignton & Dartmouth Railways Class 25185 - Running Day This Friday!

Status
Not open for further replies.

fgwrich

Established Member
From the Paignton & Dartmouth Railways Facebook page:

Exciting news! On Friday 4th May we will be running our diesel 7535 Mercury! No steam engines will being running. Come along and see us if you love diesels!

Lucky for those who are near to it! I'd love to get this one in, but Basingstoke to Paignton just for the 25s abit of a trek!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

455driver

Veteran Member
Ran well on load 7, looking forward to the gala when it gets another run out, nice to see it listed on the advert (even if it isnt supposed to be on there!

50Fan91

It was very nice to experience what is already a superb line with some (dare I say) quality traction for a change! ;)

455driver

Veteran Member
I reckon you can say that 50fan91, seems a reasonable sentence to me! :lol:

12CSVT

Established Member
If only they thought of running it on a Weekend, and announce it more than three days before.

50Fan91

If only they thought of running it on a Weekend, and announce it more than three days before.

This seems to be their standard operating procedure recently.. Then they complain, like last week, when numbers on the diesel hauled trains are lower than expected. ("But we thought the diesel fans wanted the diesel out?!") They obviously expect working diesel enthusiasts everywhere to just throw a sickie and come along regardless..

fgwrich

Established Member

That's what i and may people tried to tell them on their facebook page...before virtually being 'shot down' by the Kettle brigade with helpful statements such as STEAM IS BETTER THAN DIESEL...It's not the PDR But Dartmouth Steam Railway & Get a life...Very Helpful! :roll:

I would be up for more trips on the Paignton & Dartmouth, but preferably with a more varied choice of locos - and if the 25 was used much more frequently with more further notice - Say a calender with timetabled visable 25 running days on! As opposed to the oh well, were out of locos so Hey Ho, The 25s coming out tommorow - Anyone up for that?!

455driver

Veteran Member
Unfortunately it IS the Paignton & Dartmouth STEAM Railway, the only reason the 25 is there is to haul the engineers trains (the 08 is a bit slow) and be used when no steamer is available (as on Friday).
The 25 was used because 7827 is out for overhaul and the 5239 was (well over)due a boiler washout and they decided that Friday (being the quietest day anyway) would be the least worst day to have the diesel out.
Now to convince them that giving the 08 a run out would be a good idea! :D

The P&DSR is a tourist line using heritage trains and not a preserved line, dont confuse the 2.

That's what i and may people tried to tell them on their facebook page...before virtually being 'shot down' by the Kettle brigade with helpful statements such as STEAM IS BETTER THAN DIESEL...It's not the PDR But Dartmouth Steam Railway & Get a life...Very Helpful! :roll:

I would be up for more trips on the Paignton & Dartmouth, but preferably with a more varied choice of locos - and if the 25 was used much more frequently with more further notice - Say a calender with timetabled visable 25 running days on! As opposed to the oh well, were out of locos so Hey Ho, The 25s coming out tommorow - Anyone up for that?!

Each to their own of course & i guess we are not in charge of their Steam Railway, and in particular Diesel Enthusiasts dont appear to be top of their customer priority. Only when a Deltic is in town perhaps 'ahem Riviera Rat' :)

Sorry to hijack this thread but myself & many others 30-50 years of age grew up with Diesels & thats why they float 'our boats' That said i find Steam Loco's absolutely fantastic to look at, picture, ride behind, smell etc. The moral of this? both can give side by side so the occasional advertised Diesel Gala/Running Day would'nt go amiss on this line :)

Status
Not open for further replies.