• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Pains on Trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

GNER 373

As well as many previously mentioned its the 'stuff on seats' that annoy me the most followed closely by THOSE people who are ready to leap on the train as soon as the doors unlock ignoring the 1-20 other passengers trying to get off first....

If only the knew the were actually breaking the law by doing this!

And by stuff on seats I include feet! People just happily sharing the bottoms of thier shoes with the seats!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jopsuk

Veteran Member
I do occasionally have a go at people trying to push onto the train before I can get off.

trainophile

Established Member
I get cross when, having waited until the flow of people getting off the train has cleared, I step onboard only to be be blocked by someone still messing around at the luggage rack or in the aisle, and giving boarding passengers filthy looks or verbals for not waiting another five minutes while they finally get themselves off the train.

Do try to keep up when leaving the train folks - those waiting outside cannot see that you're still there, so when no-one else is coming through the door it seems safe to assume we can get on.

Wyvern

Established Member
I'd get Network Rail to sort it out at Euston, nearly broke my foot on New Year's eve there after my lace got caught in the end. I'll show it everyone at RailFest!
Seriously though, I believe action is being taken with adding combs and stuff.
A chap got his foot caught at the top of an escalator last week. He was trapped for about half an hour before he could be freed. Tore his big toe off

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-17402519

D1009

Established Member
Pushchairs and their extremely noisy occupants in the wheelchair space in the Quiet coach of Voyagers. For some reason noisy children aren't specifically banned in Quiet coaches, I've never understood why. And when a wheelchair bound person arrives at the next station there is a delay while the pushchair and its occupant have to be dealt with before the wheelchair can be loaded.

Pushchairs and their extremely noisy occupants in the wheelchair space in the Quiet coach of Voyagers. For some reason noisy children aren't specifically banned in Quiet coaches, I've never understood why. And when a wheelchair bound person arrives at the next station there is a delay while the pushchair and its occupant have to be dealt with before the wheelchair can be loaded.

In most cases on 220's the quite coach is noisier than the rest of the train. Especcially one occasion when a spanish lady was shouting at the trolley guy about the reservations not downloading and having to travel to Edinburgh in non-reserved seats. (*"Get a grip love"!)

GNER 373

I get cross when, having waited until the flow of people getting off the train has cleared, I step onboard only to be be blocked by someone still messing around at the luggage rack or in the aisle, and giving boarding passengers filthy looks or verbals for not waiting another five minutes while they finally get themselves off the train.

Do try to keep up when leaving the train folks - those waiting outside cannot see that you're still there, so when no-one else is coming through the door it seems safe to assume we can get on.

And then there is the other side to it as seen above which is just as annoying! :)

trainophile

Established Member
And then there is the other side to it as seen above which is just as annoying! :)

Oh undoubtedly - that's why I mentioned the converse situation, to balance the argument! :lol:

Perhaps train doors should be equipped with traffic lights, run on sensors that detect when there is no-one still approaching the door to exit. (Just a joke, totally impractical I know.)

Seriously though, how ARE people on the outside supposed to know when they are clear to board? The windows are not visible from the doorways, and anyway they tend to reflect the light so appear opaque.

I don't understand why people can't be ready to disembark in an orderly manner, given that presumably they are aware that they are approaching their stop. Some of them act like they have all the time in the world. Must be frustrating for the despatch staff too, as obviously it holds up a timely departure having to wait extra minutes for the stragglers to get off before the joiners can get on.

martin2345uk

Established Member

LE Greys

Established Member
Oh undoubtedly - that's why I mentioned the converse situation, to balance the argument! :lol:

Perhaps train doors should be equipped with traffic lights, run on sensors that detect when there is no-one still approaching the door to exit. (Just a joke, totally impractical I know.)

Seriously though, how ARE people on the outside supposed to know when they are clear to board? The windows are not visible from the doorways, and anyway they tend to reflect the light so appear opaque.

I don't understand why people can't be ready to disembark in an orderly manner, given that presumably they are aware that they are approaching their stop. Some of them act like they have all the time in the world. Must be frustrating for the despatch staff too, as obviously it holds up a timely departure having to wait extra minutes for the stragglers to get off before the joiners can get on.

If I tell my famous "how I had to bail out of the sleeper at Aviemore" story once again, what will you do? That particular train caught up twenty minutes since Stirling, so you can be caught by surprise (almost literally with my pants down on that occasion).

transmanche

Established Member
THOSE people who are ready to leap on the train as soon as the doors unlock ignoring the 1-20 other passengers trying to get off first....!
I seem to get this on the T&W Metro more than anywhere else. Still, being quite large I tend to just stand still... if I'm not getting off, you're not getting on. They soon get the message!

GNER 373

Totally with you on that but I'm not sure about the traffic signals ;)

I was getting at those who don't even bother to give the alighting passengers a chance those who will squeeze past people still alighting! And then of course the dawdling passengers that are still getting their stuff together to get off when the train is almost ready for departure....GRRRR! There's also the ones that refuse to acknowledge that most trains in the 21st century have more than one door! :)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I seem to get this on the T&W Metro more than anywhere else. Still, being quite large I tend to just stand still... if I'm not getting off, you're not getting on. They soon get the message!

There is no other worse place I know for this than the Tyne & Wear Metro, they literally press up against the doors at the platform to get on, giving the alighting passengers about 2cm each side of them to get off and it's not like they cant see you as there's windows in the doors!!

Maybe a regular LU user can beat this but honestly it is the most annoying part of using the Metro.

I applaud you sir and like your style! Keep up the good work ;)

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Anyone who tries to board whilst I'm alighting tend to get hit with a rucksack, totally accidently of course! ;)

Nym

Established Member
Ah the joys of carrying a big bag, even more fun when you 'accidentaly' leave wires hanging out of it and have it on the table infront of you, no-one sits next to you, it's fab!

Yew

Established Member
Ah the joys of carrying a big bag, even more fun when you 'accidentaly' leave wires hanging out of it and have it on the table infront of you, no-one sits next to you, it's fab!

Especially if you are transporting a clock with a particularly loud click?

SS4

Established Member
People who stop for no reason causing a huge backlog behind them. If I were a driver I'd have been banned multiple times for tailgating :lol:

Anyone who tries to board whilst I'm alighting tend to get hit with a rucksack, totally accidently of course! ;)

You too? What a coincidence ;). Thanks to conservation of momentum I usually come off better <D

Statto

Established Member
I travel at weekends with family. Regularly there is not a single table for four vacant anywhere on a lightly loaded train. Most are occupied by a single passenger and hardly ever one using a laptop PC which I would understand. We end up unable to sit together.

I do not feel able to ask somebody to move as they are not doing anything wrong but I would like to see a sign on these tables something like "Priority seating for groups of 3 or 4 people travelling together".

Tough s***t, if theres table seats available which are unreserved for my journey, then i'm going to sit there regardless how you feel. If you want table seats then reserve them.

Statto

Established Member
Only saying it how it is, i've no probs with people sitting next to me, but if a table seat is available on the journey i'm making, especially if it's more than 1 hr, then i'll sit there, regardless how anyone else feels, & i'll say it again, if anyone wants to guarantee a table seat then reserve the seat when buying the tickets.

SS4

Established Member
I think that excerpt, sadly, sums up the culture of today: me, me, me.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

The flip side is the us, us, us that somehow thinks because there is more than one person in the party they have a divine right to whichever seat they like, regardless how anyone else feels

A sole occupant could offer up their seat and sit at a different table. I've done it albeit in 1st on Virgin so no shortage of seats but they shouldn't be mandated to (apologies if I've misunderstood your post)

gswindale

So,

I reserve a seat which happens to be a table seat. I am travelling on my own, however have a fair bit of work to get done which ideally needs a table to spread out on.

A family of four gets on the train. There are 3 seats on my table plus an airline seat elsewhere in the coach.

Should I move? Politeness suggests that maybe I should, however I have booked that seat. Therefore I am within my right to stay where I am. It's not my problem that the other passengers weren't organised to reserve a table for four.

What happens next would depend on the attitude of the family getting on the train. If they're polite, then I'll offer to move. If not, then I won't.

Sent by Androids

CC 72100

Established Member
So,

I reserve a seat which happens to be a table seat. I am travelling on my own, however have a fair bit of work to get done which ideally needs a table to spread out on.

Sent by Androids

That's if no-ones taken a fancy to your table seat before you get on - as has happened the past couple of times when my reserved seat happened to be at a table :(

Reservations seem to mean nothing to some people, if there's a table seat 'free' they'll take it, regardless of it's been reserved or not!

jon0844

Veteran Member
I try and be nice, or at least courteous, to people. I'll try and move if it allows people to sit together, and I'll move my bag before being asked, as I don't see why people should have to try and build up the courage to ask if they can sit down on a seat. I do sometimes put my rucksack on the seat next to me, as on a fairly empty train it's easier than putting it on the luggage rack.

However, I can only be so nice when people decide to use their bag or coat to reserve an empty seat next to them. If there are other seats around, maybe I won't bother them - but sometimes it's a principle thing. Why should I have to struggle to find a place to sit, or sit somewhere I'd rather not (e.g. by the toilet) when there's a seat available?

I wouldn't start by being rude, but if someone refused to move their bag then there comes a point where it's a case of 'no more mister nice guy'. They disrespected me by effectively telling me to f**k off and find somewhere else to go, so should I lose sleep about not being nice to them in return?

Most people are probably like me and only put something next to them for convenience and move it all without any more than a simple bit of eye-to-eye contact (and the fact they're looking shows they're aware) but there are some who are clearly doing everything they can to deter people. As said above, buy a ticket and reserve the seat if you wish to do that!

Last edited:

Statto

Established Member
So,

A family of four gets on the train. There are 3 seats on my table plus an airline seat elsewhere in the coach.

Should I move? Politeness suggests that maybe I should, however I have booked that seat. Therefore I am within my right to stay where I am. It's not my problem that the other passengers weren't organised to reserve a table for four.

What happens next would depend on the attitude of the family getting on the train. If they're polite, then I'll offer to move. If not, then I won't.

Sent by Androids

That i've no problem with, if the seat's reserved for the journey i'm taking, i will not sit in a seat that's reserved which i haven't reserved, if a seat is available elsewhere, that's an unreserved seat, regardless if it's a table seat or not, passengers[including myself] have no right to a seat even if they are traveling in a group unless they reserve the seat first.

Just too add. if im in an unreserved table seat, & all the seats are unreserved, i've no problems with other passengers sitting by me.

Optimo

Passengers on busy commuters services (e.g. FCC into Moorgate) when everyone is standing in the vestibules, and trying to get off. The number of people seemingly incapable of understanding that a button needs to be pressed to open the doors is astronomical. Two people this morning at both Old Street and Moorgate just looking blankly waiting for the door to open. Took the same other passenger twice to reach pass them to push the button. I think the look on his face said "ffs!"

Also, those people who, when standing at the doors, do not move to let people disembark - is it so hard to step down onto the platform, allowing quick egress, then to come back onto the train?

tubenutter

I saw a 'pain on a train' when I was travelling on Friday. He was sat in a window seat eating an orange, but when he finished the orange he placed the orange peel on the aisle seat next to him. The train was quite busy and at one station a lot of people got on. Despite the fact that many people were standing, noone sat in that seat (presumably because of the orange peel). Eventually at a later station, someone asked him to move the orange peel so they could sit in the seat and rather than dispose of it 'normally' he shoved it down the side of his seat!

SS4

Established Member
I try and be nice, or at least courteous, to people. I'll try and move if it allows people to sit together, and I'll move my bag before being asked, as I don't see why people should have to try and build up the courage to ask if they can sit down on a seat. I do sometimes put my rucksack on the seat next to me, as on a fairly empty train it's easier than putting it on the luggage rack.

However, I can only be so nice when people decide to use their bag or coat to reserve an empty seat next to them. If there are other seats around, maybe I won't bother them - but sometimes it's a principle thing. Why should I have to struggle to find a place to sit, or sit somewhere I'd rather not (e.g. by the toilet) when there's a seat available?

I wouldn't start by being rude, but if someone refused to move their bag then there comes a point where it's a case of 'no more mister nice guy'. They disrespected me by effectively telling me to f**k off and find somewhere else to go, so should I lose sleep about not being nice to them in return?

Most people are probably like me and only put something next to them for convenience and move it all without any more than a simple bit of eye-to-eye contact (and the fact they're looking shows they're aware) but there are some who are clearly doing everything they can to deter people. As said above, buy a ticket and reserve the seat if you wish to do that!

I'd agree that most people are like that too. What this whole thread seems to show is that said pains come from people thinking that a privilege is a right.

More often than not when I've offered a four seat table to a couple or a group they've declined.

As for the orange peel I'd have liked to put it on his head <D

Status
Not open for further replies.