• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Passed train driver assessment :)))

Status
Not open for further replies.

mandy13791379

Thanks LouLou, so glad to have passed :) just waiting for an interview date now! Have you got yours yet?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Loulou

Thanks LouLou, so glad to have passed :) just waiting for an interview date now! Have you got yours yet?

No not yet , but after reading many posts on here it seems it is a waiting game, & we just have to sit tight ! Best of luck with everything

andys495

hi loulou

well done for passing the assessment day, i also have been invited for an assessment day for southern on 9th March.

i have a couple of questions about the assessment day if you don't mind me asking?

was the bourdon test on paper or computer? &

did you only have to do the psychometric tests on the day? as i was under the impression they were done in the morning and if you passed those you stay for the mmi after lunch?

sorry to go slightly off the topic of you post

EmGreen92,
Hiya! I was the guy (the only one) there today for my MMI. How did you all do on today's assessment?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EmGreen92

Hi Andys495,
Wow it was pretty intense!
7 out of 9 of us passed, including me :) pleased to be on the train home now!
I hope you are not left waiting too long for the result from the MMI, fingers crossed for you!
Now to start preparing for the next interview!

andys495

That's good news and I'm pleased for you! You can now rest you're brain before getting ready for the next challenge, but Soldier on. DMI wasn't too bad. Just prepare. Learn about the TOC, why you want to be a driver and what it involves. They also asked a few competency questions. Were you one of the Brighton candidates or else where?

EmGreen92

Okay great thanks! How long did you have to wait for your dmi after passing the assessment day?
I came from Eastbourne, would it be the Brighton dept I would go to the dmi for?
Also do they ask you various questions on the toc or do you just share what knowledge you have on the toc?
Hope you don't mind all the questions!

andys495

Okay great thanks! How long did you have to wait for your dmi after passing the assessment day?

I came from Eastbourne, would it be the Brighton dept I would go to the dmi for?

Also do they ask you various questions on the toc or do you just share what knowledge you have on the toc?

Hope you don't mind all the questions!

A couple of days after the assessment I had an email confirming I'd passed and asking me to go onto the GTR careers portal to book the DMI. I had my assessment in December and the earliest I could book my DMI was Feb. There were also dates for march and April. I'd learnt from previous experience to book as soon as possible before they all went. So I opted for the Feb date.
When I applied it was specifically for the Brighton depot. I think now it seems to be a generic advert then I assume they place you appropriate to where you live. I assume it would also be Brighton for you because of where you live but I could be wrong.
They asked me what I knew about Southern and I told them what I had learnt, mostly from their website, up until the point they were satisfied and stopped me. They just want to find out you've researched them as a company.
I know things are slightly different to what they were a few months ago so it may be different for you.

EmGreen92

Okay, hopefully we hear soon, our assessor just said hopefully soon! Like you said though, they are doing things slightly differently to when you applied & by the sounds of i thousands have applied!
Thanks, those few pointers will get me started, I guess the sooner the better with regards to the interview!

andys495

Okay, hopefully we hear soon, our assessor just said hopefully soon! Like you said though, they are doing things slightly differently to when you applied & by the sounds of i thousands have applied!

Thanks, those few pointers will get me started, I guess the sooner the better with regards to the interview!

Good luck!

dazzayid

I was told within an hour of leaving the building and had an email about the medical a few hours later.

andys495

Blimey that's rapid! I'm still waiting. Hopefully hear soon.

KourosLloyd

Hi everyone!

Out of curiosity, how long was each test? As for the GBT, how many pages did you have to do? Did you get any wrong on the memory tests at all?

Really appreciate it in advance!

Last edited:

Loulou

Hi everyone!

Out of curiosity, how long was each test? As for the GBT, how many pages did you have to do? Did you get any wrong on the memory tests at all?

There were 5 pages on GB they won't tell you how long they give you on each page however at a guess I'd say around a minute or 2 , I think each page is timed differently though as it did feel that the assessor said change a bit quicker on some pages than others

EmGreen92

Hi everyone!

Hi kouroslloyd
The gbt is 2 minutes for each page and u have to do 5 in total.
For our group we didn't find out the scores/passrate for the memory test but I can be sure I didn't get them all right!

djsmith200

Hi kouroslloyd
For our group we didn't find out the scores/passrate for the memory test but I can be sure I didn't get them all right!

i get the feeling that most people feel the same about the memory test rather than the GBT!

djsmith200

Yeah you just wanna crack on with it! How did u practise for that? Read articles and get people to ask you questions?

EmGreen92

Yeah you just wanna crack on with it! How did u practise for that? Read articles and get people to ask you questions?

Yes find articles, have them read out to you & then study it for 5 mins (use a piece of paper and write down they key parts of the article, I found I remembered more that way!) and then answer 20 or so questions about them!
If I'm honest the hardest test of the day was the picture test where they show a picture for 1 second and you have to see if there were 5 different things in the picture!

EmGreen92

Yes again I found books with pictures in it, asked somebody else to write 5 things that could be in the picture & they held the picture up for 1 second.

KourosLloyd

Hi kouroslloyd

Thanks EmGreen really appreciate that! Definitely most nervous about the memory and picture tests but hopefully I don't miss too many! Congratulations again and really appreciate the help!

KourosLloyd

There were 5 pages on GB they won't tell you how long they give you on each page however at a guess I'd say around a minute or 2 , I think each page is timed differently though as it did feel that the assessor said change a bit quicker on some pages than others

I've been practicing using a minute for the dot test so 2 minutes would be bloody brilliant! Really appreciate the help thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.