• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Passed train driver assessment :)))

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello! Passed stage one!! Hurrrayyyy! And now onto stage 2- the computer tests. I have a few questions that I am hoping you can all help with

1) 2 hand co-ordination test: how sensitive is the controls? I’ve heard of the screen freezing etc, does this actually happen? Also I know you have to do the same shape 10 times but I assume this is timed? If so, how long do you have? What’s the best way to practice ? I’ve just bought the metal wire game, did you find that it actually helped?

2) the WAFV Vigilance Test: I don’t even know where to start with this one! How on earth do you prepare for the change in colour?

3) interview: I am assuming this is competency based or is there technical questions thrown in? Who normally takes this interview? DTM’s? HR?

4) written communications test: is this similar to the practice materials (in the form of a comic strip?) and when your writing the report, are the pictures taken away and you need to remember the key facts?

Any help is as always so appreciated!!

Well I did mine a couple of weeks ago so here's my take on them!

1. They are quite sensitive and although I didn't really get the screen freezing there was a bit of judder once or twice.I didn't practice at all as I thought my gaming skills using a joystick would help. However I was wrong and it might even have been a hindrance as game controller joysticks move in multiple axis, but the ones in the test move in two each - up and down and left and right, so moving diagonally is harder.
I can't comment on the wire game I'm afraid and the test isn't timed, but obviously you want to do it as quickly and accurately as possible.

2. Just stare at the screen and hit the green button as quickly as you can when the square goes black - it will be very obvious. I don't think you can practice for this (I didn't) unless you have some software that replicates it. I had a coffee just before mine and I'm not sure if it helped my concentration or just made me twitchy!

3. Not done this yet

4. Yes you keep the pictures in front of you during the test, so there is no need to try and remember anything

Hope that helps a little and good luck!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

andys495

3 - Two interviews DMI and MMI. Driver Managers Interview and Multi Modial Interview. Depending on which TOC you’ve applied for will depend on which order you will do these.
DMI is like the old style interview and conducted by two managers at the depot. Learn the role, company etc inside out. Normal ‘Why do you want to be a driver?’ type questions.
MMI will be compentency based and forms part of the assessment. Done by HR. Normally 6 examples. Things like ‘An example of when you’ve taken control of an emergency situation?’ Etc. Have at least two examples for each and use STARR to structure them. Ie Situation, Task, Action, Result and Reflection. At some point before this you will be given the compentencies required.

3 - Two interviews DMI and MMI. Driver Managers Interview and Multi Modial Interview. Depending on which TOC you’ve applied for will depend on which order you will do these.
DMI is like the old style interview and conducted by two managers at the depot. Learn the role, company etc inside out. Normal ‘Why do you want to be a driver?’ type questions.
MMI will be compentency based and forms part of the assessment. Done by HR. Normally 6 examples. Things like ‘An example of when you’ve taken control of an emergency situation?’ Etc. Have at least two examples for each and use STARR to structure them. Ie Situation, Task, Action, Result and Reflection. At some point before this you will be given the compentencies required.

Thats interesting as I was under the impression that the DMI involved the competency based questions (give me an example of...) and the MMI was based around the situational judgement exercise questions?

fastfall

In your examples one of the same ie. the situational judgement questions are effectivily compentency based questions

MMI would be 6 questions along the lines of say give me an example of when you found yourself in an emergency situation. Depending on how you answer this might be followed up with further questioning such as how did you deal with it? how did your actions make you feel?

DMI would be any number of questions along the lines of why do you want to be a train driver, what do you think it involves, what qualities do you possess that would make you suitable for the role etc etc.

In your examples one of the same ie. the situational judgement questions are effectivily compentency based questions

MMI would be 6 questions along the lines of say give me an example of when you found yourself in an emergency situation. Depending on how you answer this might be followed up with further questioning such as how did you deal with it? how did your actions make you feel?

DMI would be any number of questions along the lines of why do you want to be a train driver, what do you think it involves, what qualities do you possess that would make you suitable for the role etc etc.

Yep that makes sense - I think I was getting myself a bit confused!

Edit - Just found this in the practice test material we were sent

"For the Situational Judgement Exercise (SJE) you will answer the questions on a computer and you will be shown how to do this during a practice session before you start the real test. Your results from the SJE will feed into your Multi-Modal Interview (MMI)"

I think we get to do the SJE on the day of the MMI as we haven't done it yet

Last edited:

DEvans

Good morning.

I'm interested to know what DMI and MMI stand for? What is involved with these tests and what stages are they held within a recruitment process?

fastfall

Yep that makes sense - I think I was getting myself a bit confused!

Edit - Just found this in the practice test material we were sent

"For the Situational Judgement Exercise (SJE) you will answer the questions on a computer and you will be shown how to do this during a practice session before you start the real test. Your results from the SJE will feed into your Multi-Modal Interview (MMI)"

I think we get to do the SJE on the day of the MMI as we haven't done it yet

Yes the SJE is computer based, can't say I felt that my anwsers got reflected in the questions for the MMI though.

The MMI is 6 questions. You will be given the questions before hand and asked to write a brief answer to each. This WILL form the basis of the questioning at the MMI (probably at the end of the day) . If you want to change your answers when you come to the MMI don't be afraid to do so rather than get in a twist with your orginal. Best advice is keep it real and relevant as these interviewers are trained to smell a rat :)

Yes the SJE is computer based, can't say I felt that my anwsers got reflected in the questions for the MMI though.

The MMI is 6 questions. You will be given the questions before hand and asked to write a brief answer to each. This WILL form the basis of the questioning at the MMI (probably at the end of the day) . If you want to change your answers when you come to the MMI don't be afraid to do so rather than get in a twist with your orginal. Best advice is keep it real and relevant as these interviewers are trained to smell a rat :)

Ha! Well fortunately I think I'm able to provide genuine answers to most of the competency based questions that I've seen - one of the plus sides of being an old git!

baz962

Established Member

The mmi is usually done at opc now, not hr. I have had two dmi's and both also had competency question's, in fact more question's than in the mmi.

Dynamonic

Yep, the MMI (Multi-Modal Interview) is an OPC assessment conducted by trained psychologists, who basically travel the country conducting the interviews on behalf of the TOCs.
It is the final part of the Stage 2 OPC Assessments and thus the two-life rule applies here.

The MMI has six set competency-based questions (They’re the same for everybody), plus a number of additional questions based on the initial six, which bring your Situational Judgement Exercise (SJE) answers into play.

As baz962 mentioned, the DMI (Driver Manager Interview) which is conducted by your TOC will typically also have competency-based questions. These are sometimes similar to the MMI questions but the interview itself is different from TOC to TOC.
(Think of it as a more traditional job interview mixed in with the MMI)

Last edited:

Rhia

Hi guys Reading this forum has been so much help thank you everyone I would like to know if the interviews are carried out on the same day as the test I have my assessment day next week for south-eastern? Any help Is appreciated thanks again

andys495

Hi Rhia, I think most of the previous posts were regarding Southern, so SE may do things different. However they are all part of Govia so I’d imagine they’d be similar. Normally the interviews aren’t on same day. The Assessment day would be a series of psychometric testing and is full on so they wouldn’t have time to interview any successful candidates even if they wanted to. A friend of mine has gone for the SE Hastings job. Be interested if things have started to move for him. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.