• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Pendolino Refurbishment/Modernisation

Status
Not open for further replies.

richardio123

Alstom has been awarded a contract worth over 12 million euros by Virgin to modernize its entire Pendolino fleet (56 trains). The contract includes the refurbishment of the interiors, bar, kitchen facilities and toilets. The work is being undertaken at two Alstom Traincare Centres, Oxley (Wolverhampton) and Longsight (Manchester) in the United Kingdom, and will be performed over a period of eight months.

http://www.alstom.com/press-centre/2013/10/alstom-to-modernize-virgins-pendolino-in-the-uk/

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

387star

On Moderation
Blimey tight time frame glad virgin are still investing I hear toilets will be improved will we see new moquette
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Toilet smell to be treated.

Voyagers will also be worked on.
Exciting changes ahead. Change in livery? The difference between virgin and cross country will become even more acute
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
http://www.rail.co.uk/rail-news/2013/west-coast-main-line-gets-busier-as-trains-get-a-makeover/

Last edited:

D365

Veteran Member
According to the article posted directly above, it seems the 'Pretendolino' is getting a makeover too:

Virgin also uses a loco hauled set of Mark 3 carriages which carry the same livery as a Pendolino and these will be fitted with refurbished vestibules, toilets, First Class saloons and The Shop.

I'm guessing that means its immediate future is secure. [Article digresses towards the end without warning...]

Last edited:

387star

On Moderation
When is the first unit due out?

Toilets getting the most work and improved first class armrests

CJ

Is the 'Fly Virgin Trains' logo going to be used throughout the fleet? I've noticed a few Pendolinos have that new logo now.

Class83

Any info on whether they're putting sockets at airline seats in standard? Wasn't really a big thing when they were built, fairly major omission for long distance trains now.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
At first sight this looks like only a subset of what VT were going to do if they won the 15-year franchise.
There's no mention of a new wi-fi system, or seating changes.
It's probably all the DfT would authorise in the short term.

MCR247

Established Member
I'm not expecting too much if it is expected to be done in 8 months

hstmatt

I was on 390127 today and it looks like it has had some improvement work done on it. Blue lights have now been fitted above the luggage racks and the lighting has been replaced overall. There is also a new carpet in the vestibules but apart from this not much has changed, I hope they plan to do more in terms of a refurbishment.

Attachments

• refurb pendo.jpg
    refurb pendo.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 392
  • refurb pendo1.jpg
    refurb pendo1.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 364
  • refurb pendo2.jpg
    refurb pendo2.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 367

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I was on 390127 today and it looks like it has had some improvement work done on it. Blue lights have now been fitted above the luggage racks and the lighting has been replaced overall. There is also a new carpet in the vestibules but apart from this not much has changed, I hope they plan to do more in terms of a refurbishment.

If that vestibule picture is anything to go by, we're going to need to wear sunglasses on board!

shaun

Not going to do anything about the awful legroom and seats then as First were planning?

Peter Sarf

Established Member
I am hoping the rather loud air conditioning in the Pendolinos can be tamed. It was always rather tedious putting up with that continuous high pitched sound. I always thought in summer they could let the temp rise a bit more as it was rather unnecessarily cool when you stepped in wearing your summer clothes.

I have not travelled on a Pendolino for a while and the last time I did not notice the noise. Trying to think whether the outside temperature and/or weather meant the air conditioning did not have to work so hard. Perhaps they have calmed the aircon down already ?.

I have long legs but I don't recall the legroom on a Pendolino being a problem btw. So hopefully they wont mess that up !.

rebmcr

Established Member
I am hoping the rather loud air conditioning in the Pendolinos can be tamed. It was always rather tedious putting up with that continuous high pitched sound.

Yeah, it's particularly noticeable when you get 10 seconds of quiet bliss when passing neutral sections.

Bob Ames

Yeah, it's particularly noticeable when you get 10 seconds of quiet bliss when passing neutral sections.

I once had 11 minutes of quiet bliss when the air-con failed in my coach and all other passengers had left (I have circulation issues, so I didn't mind the heat), only to have the TM turf me out! :cry:

Peter Sarf

Established Member

Oh yes. I remember going London to Glasgow and the neutral sections were oh so short !. Each time was like having a weight lifted off your shoulders !. You ended up ignoring the sound but it was still there tensing you up - like some sort of mind destroying interrogation technique !.

That is why despite the offers we have driven a car. We flew one time as, although noisy, its over with a lot quicker. Never flown domestic before but would do it again as the noise and claustrophobia is over with quicker. The faff at the airports I can bear. Thats despite being pro rail.

Last edited:

ThirdBrad

Hi, i'm fairly new to all of this. By 'neutral' section, do you mean when all of a sudden you hear the heating/air con turn off for a few seconds randomly?
If so, could you briefly explain what this is please?

Nym

Established Member
Hi, i'm fairly new to all of this. By 'neutral' section, do you mean when all of a sudden you hear the heating/air con turn off for a few seconds randomly?
If so, could you briefly explain what this is please?

Neautral Sections are where the OHLE is 'not live' so there is no traction voltage to the train, hence all the power hungry auxillaries knock off and you're on batteries for that short distance till they come back in again when the OHLE lives up.

On another note, I think Virgin / Alstom would have been better marketing these changes as a 'refresh' rather than 'refurbishment' as the latter seems to imply a lot more work than is needed (as is evident in this thread).

Kristofferson

I've always thought the Pendolino air con was a bit quiet/ineffective compared to the Desiros, which are like stepping into a fridge/wind tunnel.

CalderRail

I'm surprised they are doing up the pretendolino. Aren't they doing away with that when the new set of Pendolinos are built?

I'm sure I read something to that effect.

Eagle

Established Member
I'm surprised they are doing up the pretendolino. Aren't they doing away with that when the new set of Pendolinos are built?

The new lot of Pendolinos (390154 to 157) arrived over a year ago. As a result the Pretendolino is no longer used on booked services, only on charters and occasionally as a substitute.

RichW1

I have to say I was on the Pendolino back from northwest England the other day and both the trip there and return showed me how bad the Pendolino's are! There were grinding sounds from the bogie area (which I always remember) and yet they are so smooth and fast pulling out of stations! The ride was a little bumpy (poor track conditions I'm guessing). The trains were dirty and seat backs marked, the plastic from various places was rattling which is so annoying!!! Intercity used to mean the feeling of runnin on rails smoothly and a better interior than a commuter to Guildford but my experience of the Pendolino's with there bump n grinds, dirt and rattles has not left me with a good impression. I would rather a MarkIV anyday.

This is so very sad because I think they look great from the outside and look like inside they should be a smooth sleek passenger experience but this is just not the case.

Rhydgaled

Established Member
No more pendolinios are planned to be built
No more Pendolinos have been ordered. However, I believe Virgin's franchise bid included ordering a fleet of 6-car Pendolinos to replace the ICWC 221s, while First had more Pendolinos as one of the options of their bid. Since Virgin is now running the show until they try and let a propper franchise again we may see the 6-car Pendolino order at some point.

I have to say I was on the Pendolino back from northwest England the other day and both the trip there and return showed me how bad the Pendolino's are! There were grinding sounds from the bogie area (which I always remember) and yet they are so smooth and fast pulling out of stations! The ride was a little bumpy (poor track conditions I'm guessing). The trains were dirty and seat backs marked, the plastic from various places was rattling which is so annoying!!! Intercity used to mean the feeling of runnin on rails smoothly and a better interior than a commuter to Guildford but my experience of the Pendolino's with there bump n grinds, dirt and rattles has not left me with a good impression. I would rather a MarkIV anyday.
Not a mrk4, but I had a bumpy ride on an IC125 earlier this year. If I remember rightly it was the XC one between Taunton and Bristol (my mini-holiday also included Cheltenham - Swindon and Westbury - Taunton on FirstGW IC125 sets).

Status
Not open for further replies.