• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Persistent railway myths, misunderstandings etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndrewE

Established Member
I think it's just a reflection of the south-east's population density, and the very high proportion of commuters who travel by rail in the area.
It's still disappointing that 80% of UK are to or from a London station though. I wonder if
80% of UK rail journeys begin and/or end in London.
includes the hundreds of thousands of children who are lucky enough to have railway lines to use twice every schoolday? In the light of the Overground's Metro-like service (with a network unmatched in the UK, even if there are some other almost-heavy rail metros) maybe it's not so surprising.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Journeyman

Established Member
In the light of the Overground's Metro-like service (with a network unmatched in the UK, even if there are some other almost-heavy rail metros) maybe it's not so surprising.

On top of that, the Underground carries more people each day than the entire national rail network.

MotCO

Established Member
Why do they run empty trains against the peak flows when everyone wants a train to go with the peak flows?

Esker-pades

Established Member
Why do they run empty trains against the peak flows when everyone wants a train to go with the peak flows?
Because trains don't cease to exist once they get to their terminus.

If trains just stopped once they had unloaded all their passengers, one would quickly run out of space at a station.

A slightly more detailed explanation:
They have to leave either to the depot, as an ECS (empty coaching stock) move to somewhere else to form another peak-time service, or as another passenger service. (Some people travel against the peak flow. Shock horror.) Or, there are multiple peak flows.

MotCO

Established Member
Because trains don't cease to exist once they get to their terminus.

If trains just stopped once they had unloaded all their passengers, one would quickly run out of space at a station.

A slightly more detailed explanation:
They have to leave either to the depot, as an ECS (empty coaching stock) move to somewhere else to form another peak-time service, or as another passenger service. (Some people travel against the peak flow. Shock horror.) Or, there are multiple peak flows.

I appreciate that - I was just quoting a myth :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

dcbwhaley

That the atmospheric installation on the South Devon railway failed because of rats eating the leather flap. (No doubt the odd rat did have a cheeky nibble, but the main problem with the flap was that it couldn't handle the weather, changes in temperature, repeated sousings in salt water, etc, and cracked and tore along the flex line where it was bolted to the pipe. The development of vulcanised rubber as a practically usable material came just too late for that scheme.)

That the gradients of the South Devon banks are a consequence of the line having been planned for atmospheric traction which "makes light of gradients". (It's the other way round. The proposal for atmospheric traction was made a few months after the route had been decided on, as a suggestion for how to cope with the gradients.)

That atmospheric traction does "make light of gradients". (It may be immune to wheel slip, but there is a hard limit on maximum tractive force and you can't get over that by adding more piston carriages in the way that you can add more locomotives. If they had persisted with the system and got as far as installing it on the banks, within a few years its inability to cope with gradients would have become an insuperable bottleneck on the route, as train weights increased to the point where they could only be got over the banks by splitting them and then waiting for the pipe to be re-evacuated between each portion.)

You could use multiple pipes.

Whistler40145

Established Member
During the times when services are replaced by buses, I’ve had non railway friends wondering why they still have to pay the price of a train ticket and not a bus ticket.

Railwaysceptic

Established Member
It's still disappointing that 80% of UK are to or from a London station though. I wonder if
includes the hundreds of thousands of children who are lucky enough to have railway lines to use twice every schoolday? In the light of the Overground's Metro-like service (with a network unmatched in the UK, even if there are some other almost-heavy rail metros) maybe it's not so surprising.
If you want the train frequency London has, then persuade your local M.P.s to stop supporting HS2 and to begin insisting on money being spent on unglamorous, unfashionable items like longer platforms and longer trains. This would bring an increase in patronage which in turn would lead to more trains being required.

dcbwhaley

A persistent myth on this forum is that pressing the door button before it is illuminated is pointless. Certainly on the 150s on the Buxton line if the button is pressed early, even before the train stops, the door opens when the guard operates his switch.

Journeyman

Established Member
If you want the train frequency London has, then persuade your local M.P.s to stop supporting HS2 and to begin insisting on money being spent on unglamorous, unfashionable items like longer platforms and longer trains. This would bring an increase in patronage which in turn would lead to more trains being required.

If you want the train frequency London has, you'll probably need to persuade a lot more people and businesses to move into your area. Longer platforms and longer trains don't create extra demand.

Journeyman

Established Member
Everything British Rail did was amazing and brilliant, and they never, ever got anything wrong. Their trains were always cheap, always on time, and the staff were all fantastic. They never went on strike, and you could travel from Land's End to John O'Groats for tuppence ha'penny. In a Pullman car.

tbtc

Veteran Member
I am sure the stats DO bear this out as you say - however, many people may well be completely put off travelling longer distance as large parts of the network are shut or severely affected by engineering works, so they simply give up and don't travel. Whilst it is clearly true that their are less commuters at such times (and on a Sunday), the concentration of engineering works on Sunday also leads to reduced passenger numbers which is self-perpetuating. Also, how can they be sure there is no demand on days when the whole railway system is shut completely?

If one just looked at the statistics for Northern on Saturday strike days, then one would conclude that fewer people travel on Saturdays and there was no need to offer a service after 19.00. Happily, looking at non-strike Saturday statistics it is perfectly clear there is demand. However, if you don't have statistics because you don't offer a service now, then its down to random surveys and they are far from accurate look at the projected demand and actual demand for the partially reopened Waverley route.

It's a tricky balance - there's no "ideal" time to do it - but if you regularly disrupt a line during the weekday daytime then that means people can't get to work, that means that they can't do their jobs, that means that they'll have to either switch jobs or switch modes of transport - it may only be a delay for a week but it'll be enough to lose a lot of regular "customers".

If you disrupt a line late in the evenings or at weekends then you'll dissuade people from travelling on those days, but a lot of the time it'll only be those days that they choose not to travel - if I can't use the train to get to where I want at a Bank Holiday the I'll have a different leisure journey or stay at home or drive. But if I can't get to work for a week then I'll have to seriously consider whether I should keep using the train long term (because I can't afford to use up my limited annual leave to suit the railway).

Essentially (since we have to close lines from time to time), it's much better to disrupt people making occasional leisure journeys than disrupt people who use the train daily (since they might not return to the train once the disruption is over, meaning a lot of regular income is lost).

Is this really a "persistent myth"? Where is it perpetuated?

A lot of the things on this thread aren't myths, they are people clutching at strawman arguments. But I think that there is one "myth" that I've seen a number of people suggest on the Forum... "if HS2 is cancelled then the money will become available for lots of nice little local projects" (spoiler - it won't - the HS2 money isn't coming out of the regular rail budget and cancelling it won't see the money diverted to rebuilding some old branchlines)

Also "it's a bad thing to refer to Customers rather than Passengers". I don't mind "customers" - it suggests Customer Service, it suggests rights, it suggests being treated as a valued person. Passengers was the old word for it, but I'm happy with "Customers" in the twenty first century.

That it made sense to close the Woodhead line

It did make sense.

Agreed - it made a lot of sense to close the Woodhead line, once the freight dwindled (and I say this as someone living in Sheffield)

RLBH

During the times when services are replaced by buses, I’ve had non railway friends wondering why they still have to pay the price of a train ticket and not a bus ticket.
I don't know that this is an unreasonable question to ask - if you knew your journey would take longer and be in less comfortable accommodation, you wouldn't pay as much. So when the coach shows up, many people are going to be annoyed about having paid a rail fare.
If you want the train frequency London has, you'll probably need to persuade a lot more people and businesses to move into your area. Longer platforms and longer trains don't create extra demand.
Sometimes they do, though more frequent trains are a more reliable way of doing it. See Operation Princess for that one. Though the fact that everything important is done in London because otherwise it wouldn't be convenient for everything else in London does limit the potential gains.

edwin_m

Veteran Member

nuneatonmark

By far the biggest 'myth' and perpetuated on this very thread is that the railways are privatised. They are absolutely 100% not privatised. The government specifies pretty much everything and runs all the infrastructure too. The National Rail Service is run by private companies under franchise agreements. If they were truly privatised they would work much more like the airlines and airports, which they don't or like the previous set up before nationalisation.

Railwaysceptic

Established Member
No, but they also don't suppress demand!

There are several threads in this forum where posters reiterate constantly that two or three coach trains are full to bursting and are unpleasant to travel in. This suggests that longer trains would be far more pleasant which in turn might lead to more custom. If there is consistently more patronage, a greater frequency is more likely.

Railwaysceptic

Established Member
A lot of the things on this thread aren't myths, they are people clutching at strawman arguments. But I think that there is one "myth" that I've seen a number of people suggest on the Forum... "if HS2 is cancelled then the money will become available for lots of nice little local projects" (spoiler - it won't - the HS2 money isn't coming out of the regular rail budget and cancelling it won't see the money diverted to rebuilding some old branchlines)
I would like the money set aside for HS2 to be spent elsewhere on the railway but certainly not for re-opening branch lines which should never have been built in the first place. The reason I keep arguing that northern M. P.s should nag and harass the Government for funds to build longer platforms and better trains is that I know it won't come about automatically.

TRAX

Established Member
Odd that in Europe they have exactly the same problem, but that seems to be ignored by Passengers and the Media !

Not at all. Leaves on the lines is also considered a made-up excuse / a lie in Europe (at least here in France).

yorksrob

Veteran Member

Although away from London, even if the demand is already there, that's no guarantee that the longer trains and platforms will turn up.

BigCj34

Stripping Northern of their franchise will fix the problems it has faced, often peddled by Tim Farron. Northern IS the franchise, run by Arriva. Also a lot of the problems were by unrealistic demands set by the DfT.

Nationalising will solve all when the DfT have more say over railways than BR did, notably franchise requirements and fares. Also Network Rail.

Trains in 'Europe' run on rainbows and fairy dust. In France the TGV network is good but the rest of the network has a poor level of service in comparison, with some lines having 3 services a day. Customer service is actually quite good here in the event of delays (my experience with DB has been quite poor).

Driving is cheaper: if the choice is £60 petrol or £90 ticket, it works out the same if you factor in taking the car servicing. They don't break down at annoying times, they require servicing if you drive them long distances.

Ken H

On Moderation
Stripping Northern of their franchise will fix the problems it has faced, often peddled by Tim Farron. Northern IS the franchise, run by Arriva. Also a lot of the problems were by unrealistic demands set by the DfT.

Nationalising will solve all when the DfT have more say over railways than BR did, notably franchise requirements and fares. Also Network Rail.

Trains in 'Europe' run on rainbows and fairy dust. In France the TGV network is good but the rest of the network has a poor level of service in comparison, with some lines having 3 services a day. Customer service is actually quite good here in the event of delays (my experience with DB has been quite poor).

Driving is cheaper: if the choice is £60 petrol or £90 ticket, it works out the same if you factor in taking the car servicing. They don't break down at annoying times, they require servicing if you drive them long distances.

car is far far cheaper over any distance if there are more than the driver in it. What makes it expensive is silly parking charges at your destination.

Status
Not open for further replies.