Personal favorite train from the 2010s....

Discussion in 'Traction & Rolling Stock' started by class379, 31 Dec 2019.

1. RealTrains07

RealTrains07 On Moderation

Oh yeah, iam not criticising the overall train. The S stock is a massive improvement for the met, circle and h + c line however I still feel the D stock could have had a couple more years at least?

The only criticisms I have with the S stock would be the odd inaccurate PIS information and the S8 hand rails not matching the met line colour otherwise its just too bland.

Overall its great, I think its actually better than the 710 and the 345 so far

Last edited: 4 Jan 2020
  2. Sweetjesus

Sweetjesus Member

Class 172 holds a special place in my memory and I liked how well it operated on Snow Hill line.

3. AM9

AM9 Established Member

deleted

4. railfan100

railfan100 Member

Easily the Class 700 they provide a good summary to how the UK considers providing the needed comfort to tempt people from their cars. Great units and also great for Siemens account managers that earn much of their remuneration based on financial margins...

Well done to all involved...

5. Ladder23

Ladder23 Member

Class 707 without a shadow of doubt

6. NewClee153

NewClee153 Member

Class 172

7. NewClee153

NewClee153 Member

I’d have one over a 221 or 390

8. samuelmorris

samuelmorris Established Member

I feel the same re: the D78s, but it only made sense to replace all the surface fleet together, especially given the network-wide rollout of ATO was meant to already be finished by now. It's not as if they were young trains despite a relatively recent refurbishment and they did hold out until all the other historic stock had been replaced before withdrawing them. Can't really say fairer than that.

9. RealTrains07

RealTrains07 On Moderation

I agree. Plus having modern uniform fleets isn’t always a good thing either as we have seen recently :lol:

10. Minstral25

Minstral25 Established Member

My vote would go to the S Stock - great improvement and fantastically suited for their purpose. As a regular at the time on the Wimbledon branch the contrast from the C stock to S stock was very apparent, even the upgrade from D78 stock is very good.

On the Mainline though Class 377/6 and 387's have been great. Best interior layout for middle distance stock of recent introductions and show up the poor quality of the 700's interior layout every time you get on one. (700's are probably a good layout for short distance Metro but not the middle distance services I tend to travel on).

You are of course taking the mick!! :lol: Class 700 have got me off the trains and I bought an electric car for my journeys into London. Cannot sit in around 80% of the seats as they are too narrow and no leg room - get muscle pains every time I use them. No comfort whatsoever.

11. 91ntercity_J

91ntercity_J New Member

Class 379 - Their seats aren’t as hard as the ones on a class 387, first class isn’t a ripoff (unlike on other Electrostars) and they personally look better than 350s.

Not bad trains for regional services imo.

12. 91ntercity_J

91ntercity_J New Member

In response to the class 180 rant, they’re great trains for intercity services (as long as they work) and I prefer them over any 220s 221s 222s 800s or 802s but I’d still rather get on a HST (especially on one of the old GC ones with buffers). ;)

13. NoMorePacers

NoMorePacers Member

Class 769s.

Oh wait...

14. coradiafan2000

coradiafan2000 Member

I think anyone would prefer a HST to anything honestly! I'd probably take a 180 over a 220/221, but probably not a 222. They're really nice trains.

15. TT-ONR-NRN

TT-ONR-NRN On Moderation

I personally hate HSTs. You cannot possibly make such a comment on behalf of everyone...

Having said that, I don’t particularly like their replacements (though at least they’re fast and clean), so I’ll be nominating not an 80x but the Nova 3.

16. Bletchleyite

Bletchleyite Veteran Member

Depends what HST. If you're only offering one with IC70 seating, I'll take the Pacer.

17. coradiafan2000

coradiafan2000 Member

Well that's why I used the word "think". Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. You are the first person I've come across who seems to outright hate them though. I'm interested to know why.

18. Chris217

Chris217 Member

68s get my vote for the return of traditional rail haulage lol
    Of DMU's I'd say the WMT 172s.
    Shame about the new livery though.

On EMU's,I quite like the GWR IEP trains
    Probably because I rarely travel on them.

Quite fascinated about the GA FLIRTS.
    Will see what they are like once I travel on some.

LUL. Gotta follow suit with the S Stock.
    As much as I loved the old A,C & D stock
    The S stock is an outstanding train although for seating the S8s have the edge....and the extra carriage lol.

19. IamTrainsYT

IamTrainsYT Member

Has the class 195 even been mentioned :lol:

20. trebor79

trebor79 Established Member

755s get my vote, but 700s are a very close run second.

21. D5645

D5645 Member

Class 68's for me.

When matched up with refurbished / power door fitted Mark 3's they made for an excellent train to travel in.

22. Desiro360

Desiro360 Member

For me definitely the Class 68's with the Class 755 FLIRT's now operating in my local area a close second. :smile:

23. moogal

moogal Member

Another vote for the S Stock - as a regular tube commuter they're streets ahead of the stock they replaced. The air con in particular is a lifesaver in the summer months, the seats are perfectly fine, they've got big doorways and acres of standing space to handle the rush hour and Central London crowds.

24. Anonymous10

Anonymous10 Member

I know it's a refurb of the existing trains and they are old but got to love tfw 153 refurb