• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Petersfield signaller

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this relies on someone knowing where I am on about but you never know.

Does anyone know what Grade signaller works at Petersfield box between Portsmouth and Guildford. I thought I heard someone say Grade 3 once. If this is the case what is the pay rate for Grade 3 signallers??

many thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GB

Established Member
Last time I looked, which was quire a while ago, grade 3 is circa 23k + the usual enhancements

the sniper

Established Member
I've been wanting to ask this for a while; how are the signallers grades worked out? What's the criteria and what's the grading based on, the difficulty of the box(s) worked or experience of the signaller?

GB

Established Member
Based on the box workload. Grades run from grade 1 (lowest) to grade 10 (highest). Grades 11 and 12 are generally for controllers.

All I know is that when you take the signaller assessments, you get a pass grade. the better the grade the higher grade signallers position you can go for. I passed to the level they would allow me to go for grade 9. Sadly, only Wimbledon in my area is Grade 9 and I live to far away for that!!

Matt Taylor

Established Member
Petersfield covers a very simple route, just Buriton tunnel to Haslemere which is a twin track route. I don't know if the passing loop at Haslemere is under their control or not. Maybe Eastleigh would be a better box to work in?

Established Member
Petersfield is a grade 3.

Signal box grades are worked out by combining a set of marks given for the equipment controlled by the box combined with the number of trains dealt with. So if you had two boxes on the same line dealing with the same number of trains, it is possible for one to be a different grade if, for example, it has more levers, or something like a level crossing or two under it's control.

It was possible (probably still is) for the signallers at a box to apply for upgrading. I can remember a box adjacent to one I worked at in the mid 1980s applying for regrading. We often used to run round trains between the two boxes, if the train was short enough to stand behind the starting signal in the station limits then you only offered the light engine, which was crossed over and sent back and was worth two marks. If the train was long and needed to go past the starting signal into the block section to clear the points then it was dealt with as a train requiring to run round in section with all the relevant bell signals, that was work three marks (so guess what we did whilst the marks were being taken ;)). The other box got it's upgrade from the old grade B to a C :D.

Petersfield covers a very simple route, just Buriton tunnel to Haslemere which is a twin track route. I don't know if the passing loop at Haslemere is under their control or not. Maybe Eastleigh would be a better box to work in?

Hello thanks for all your replys. Eastleigh would be brilliant but never seen a vacancy there. Petersfield controls till just shy of haslemere and has 3 level crossings under it's control. Haslemere box controls the whole station area. That box is unusual to me as it s all TCB an colour lights and yet everything in the box is controlled by lever frame!!

daza7789

Hi all

Petersfield indeed as quoted is a grade 3,
Havant is a 6, and eastleigh a 7. You will probably never see a vac for eastleigh on the external vacancys, its dead mans shoes, and when a vacancy comes up its very hard to get in (I know as I tried a few months ago internally, there were alot of aplicants). There are internal vacancies at petersfield and farncombe(grade 3) at the moment, not to sure if advertised externally.

NB petersfield has 6 LCs under it, MCB at petersfield, CCTV at liss, then 4 AHBs at Sheet, Kingsfernden, Liss common and one other, of which the name escapes me at the moment.

Hi all

Petersfield indeed as quoted is a grade 3,
Havant is a 6, and eastleigh a 7. You will probably never see a vac for eastleigh on the external vacancys, its dead mans shoes, and when a vacancy comes up its very hard to get in (I know as I tried a few months ago internally, there were alot of aplicants). There are internal vacancies at petersfield and farncombe(grade 3) at the moment, not to sure if advertised externally.

NB petersfield has 6 LCs under it, MCB at petersfield, CCTV at liss, then 4 AHBs at Sheet, Kingsfernden, Liss common and one other, of which the name escapes me at the moment.

sorry i meant 3 that are controlled as apposed to in the controllers area. Petersfield CCTV, Liss Forrest and Liss Common

Also they are advertising for Petersfield and Farncombe externally as I have applied for Petersfield!!

Established Member
Regarding pay, the basic rate for a Grade 3 up until last December was just shy of £24,000; assuming the box is open continuously I would imagine that £30,000+ should be possible.

GB

Established Member
You can usually add about £5k just for sundays, so its entirely possible to earn that.

I remeber when I was a grade 2 relief, the basic was 19K but with Sundays, Overtime and the 18% felxability allowance I was earning in excess of £33k!

Those were the days!:roll:

well im hoping to get further than last year.

Applied for Haslemere relief signaller, passed all the assessments, contacted the LOM and had a tour of three boxes I would be based at (Petersfield, Haslemere and Farncombe) got on really well only to find a letter at home saying that because of budget reasons they cant continue my application!

Status
Not open for further replies.