• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Pizza delivered to train.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Looks like Newport (S Wales) to me

Not the 1st time. I believe this happened at York towards the end of Valenta-powered HST's on Grand Central one night.

O L Leigh

Established Member
+1. Looks very much like platform 4 at Newport, although it might be a couple of days before I can confirm that.

There is a little café at Beeston that has a board on the platform, at the top of which used to be a message to train drivers giving instructions how to place an order in advance and a telephone number. I believe that the owner has changed the board now so that the message no longer appears and am not sure how many drivers took advantage of the service being advertised, but I was always a little nervous about how it would look having a bacon roll and tea delivered through the cab door.

O L Leigh

BestWestern

Established Member
Romsey has a very nice little cafe on the down platform and crews regularly phone ahead to order their breakfast. On the early services with the usual squadron of staff travelling passenger it can be quite an order! I really don't think the punters mind!

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
Pizza Hut in Newport won't even deliver to my house less than 2 miles away, must be lucky lol

wensley

Established Member
I am informed that the Station Cafe at Brighouse have always been very good at delivering on request to traincrew! I certainly know they do a cracking bacon buttie :D

AlexS

Established Member
+1. Looks very much like platform 4 at Newport, although it might be a couple of days before I can confirm that.

There is a little café at Beeston that has a board on the platform, at the top of which used to be a message to train drivers giving instructions how to place an order in advance and a telephone number. I believe that the owner has changed the board now so that the message no longer appears and am not sure how many drivers took advantage of the service being advertised, but I was always a little nervous about how it would look having a bacon roll and tea delivered through the cab door.

O L Leigh

I wouldn't worry, the drivers on most Intercity TOCS operating HSTs seem to do it all the time with provisions from the catering vehicle. The guard regularly delivers tea to your lot anyway when there's a crew change!

I once popped up to the driver of a 170 on getting off a train Central days and she had a full Chinese takeaway in various containers arranged around the controls very carefully :)

Pacerpilot

We used to ring the Pizza place at Trowbridge station from the messroom at Westbury. Gave them our order, arrival time and what denomination of notes we had, and they'd meet the train with pizza/kebab and the correct change. Not tried since I moved over to the freight.....yet.

Andrewlong

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
I am informed that the Station Cafe at Brighouse have always been very good at delivering on request to traincrew! I certainly know they do a cracking bacon buttie :D

Aye I've seen a member of staff leg it down to the platform with the traincrews grub. Decent cafe, excellent staff. Considering that roughtly nine years back a mate of mine use to run it.

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I once offered to redeem a free coffee for a colleague at Pumpkin - the service was slow, and the train slightly late, cue me walking out to see the train departing. I did at least manage to salute the guard with his free coffee while he was leaning out the window observing the departure. Fortunately, I wasn't aiming to rejoin the same train :lol:

As for the Pizza, could have done with that on Friday night - when I got horribly delayed returning from Manchester via a rather circuitous route (due to a delay that would have missed a connection!).

tony6499

It was a regular thing for crew working the Victoria to Bournemouth services to ring the Curry house on the platform at Swanwick and have their dinners delivered to the train there.

Antman

Established Member
There is an Indian restuarant in the old station building at Snodland (on the Medway Valley Line) and I've seen a takeaway delivered to a passenger on a train there before.

welshpax

I have done this a few times in the past, last time I did it was on the Highland sleeper last year, had a pizza delivered to Crewe so I could take it back to my cabin :o)

Galvanize

I know a group of lads who got pizza delivered while they were on a railtour, ordered it half an hour before they arrived at one of the leg stretching/photo stops, and sure enough, when the train arrived, the pizza delivery was waiting outside the station!

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Are you allowed to eat meals in the cab at work?

Surely no different to eating lunch at your desk? ;)

Also just to avoid the impression that all rail staff eat unhealthily I did once see a Northern Rail driver munching their way through a fruit salad during a run along the Darlington - Saltburn line.

Tomonthetrain

Established Member
As a passenger I've had a full English delivered to my train. I arrived the same time as it and boarded the train consuming it...three minutes later I had to get off and finish it at Stourbridge Junction waiting for the chiltern silver set

causton

Established Member
Surely no different to eating lunch at your desk? ;)

Also just to avoid the impression that all rail staff eat unhealthily I did once see a Northern Rail driver munching their way through a fruit salad during a run along the Darlington - Saltburn line.

I can barely walk while eating, let alone run while eating! And running along train tracks too! :lol: ... :roll:

I have ordered a takeaway to a pub before because their kitchen was closed, but they let me have cutlery! And I'm pretty sure I've seen people do it on the late night trains back home from King's Cross... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.