• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Plane Spotters Arrested in India

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ferret

Established Member
Looks like the Indians aren't impressed with the old SBS boxes then:(

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
ouch... ouch... ouch...

Thoughts to the Family's and of cause more to the The Two Detained.

:(

Old Timer

Established Member
Surely there is some sort of advice that can be sought BEFORE going to some Countries and doing such things ?

We constantly here of these occurrences, so you would think that people would check up on what could happen first ?

Other Countries are as paranoid as the UK and are quite happy to put you in jail for considerable periods whilst their long winded, biased, and sometimes corrupt legal systems creak along.

After the fiasco with the Greek plane spotters, I would have thought that this was common sense ?

Bighat

Surely there is some sort of advice that can be sought BEFORE going to some Countries and doing such things ?

We constantly here of these occurrences, so you would think that people would check up on what could happen first ?

Other Countries are as paranoid as the UK and are quite happy to put you in jail for considerable periods whilst their long winded, biased, and sometimes corrupt legal systems creak along.

After the fiasco with the Greek plane spotters, I would have thought that this was common sense ?

To be fair, the Home Office DO issue an information sheet to spotters with passport applications (and it IS on their website too), plane and bird (mainly the kind of visitors who would routinely carry binoculars).

I was involved, along with the Sunday Times, in getting the greek arrestees released at the time.

I gave the Sunday Times a complete 'fleet' (number and squadron) list of the entire Greek Air Force, taken form my published book 'Euromil', which they published the following week.

The arrested spotters were released a few days later.

Having said that, the Greek authorities had warned these guys about their behaviour on a number of previous occaisons, so they were not exactly 'innocents abroad'.

At the moment I would refrain from castigating the Indian authorities until a few more 'facts' are known about these two.

British spotters DO tend to develop a certain 'arrogance' about their hobby, bus, train, aircraft, birds and so on.

I too have 'spotted' worldwide on aircraft, including Russia, Egypt, all over Europe, and of course the USA, both civil and military, and EXTREME caution IS necessary at all times.

Oswyntail

Established Member
And do remember that India is in the middle of a very sensitive security situation at the moment. Paranoia might be justified

Status
Not open for further replies.