• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Plans for the North Norfolk Railway to link to Cromer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Good on them! Nice to see they just want to start top and tail, hopefully if successful they may be able to get some heritage funding ala Whitby and NYMR.

Congrats to all involved at the NNR.

Tomnick

Established Member
Good news indeed, if it's as positive as it sounds - but is there any news of any alterations to the signalling and level crossing? The former is, if I'm not mistaken, straightforward OTW between Cromer and Sheringham (requiring the axle counters to be reset after a movement to or from the NNR?), and the latter (in its current 'tramway' form) is deemed suitable only on the basis of a handful of movements per year.

oliMw

I believe there is a limit at the moment about how many times a train can cross the crossing every year, I think it's something like 12 but it could be different

davetheguard

Established Member
I believe there is a limit at the moment about how many times a train can cross the crossing every year, I think it's something like 12 but it could be different

If it can be turned in to a "proper" crossing, on a "proper" railway, there might be all sorts of opportunities: not only through working by the NNR to Cromer Beach; but also how about Greater Anglia trains terminating at the NNR station in Sheringham?

There would be much better shelter for passengers (even if the station buildings were only unlocked when the heritage railway was in operation); particularly if the downside platform canopy is restored, and the NNR station would give passengers arriving from Norwich a much better first impression of the town.

The B.R.-built "halt" platform on the other side of the crossing could be closed and demolished, and the money no longer required to be spent on looking after it could be paid to the North Norfolk Railway instead - plus a track access fee.

It would appear to be win-win all round.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
This would be great if it does go ahead.
After reading that article, it appeared that there were more than one station at Cromer. Which is the one that is used now and how many platforms does it have?

davetheguard

Established Member
This would be great if it does go ahead.
After reading that article, it appeared that there were more than one station at Cromer. Which is the one that is used now and how many platforms does it have?

The present station is Cromer Beach as mentioned in my post above.

ianhr

I think Cromer Beach is (at least the site of) the former MGNJR terminal, and trains would have to reverse there to continue to Yarmouth. There was a GER terminus, called I think Cromer High, to the south of the town centre and quite a bit above it, which closed sometime in the 1950s when all trains were re-routed over a chord to the MGNJR.

davetheguard

Established Member
Funny how they named stations, as I think the station is still a fair way from the beach.

Very true, but I suppose if you're the railway company, you want people to book via your line, rather than via the competing railway (Cromer High). The use of the name "Beach" may have induced a few people to do just that over the years.

And it is at least closer to the beach than the other station....

Status
Not open for further replies.