• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Platform Pass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam_Harrison

Would anyone be able to tell me how to acquire a Platform pass for Newcastle Central Station and if I would need to pay.

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I dont believe Newcastle offer platform tickets - your best bet is just to ask nicely at the barriers, or failing that just get the cheapest return ticket available :)

Adam_Harrison

I dont believe Newcastle offer platform tickets - your best bet is just to ask nicely at the barriers, or failing that just get the cheapest return ticket available :)

Ah i'll have to try that haha! thats what i did last time but its easier if i can get on for free ahha :P

moonrakerz

I assume from your original query that Newcastle is a Compulsory Ticket Area - at least in name, if not legally ?

Could I draw your attention to the DfT "rules":-

"4.10 At stations with a CTA, operators must make arrangements for people who are not travelling to be allowed into the part of the station covered by the CTA, if they have a good reason. This includes people who are meeting passengers, seeing passengers off or helping them with luggage, people helping passengers with disabilities, and people such as railway enthusiasts. The arrangements might include making platform tickets available at the ticket office or from a machine. People who are helping passengers with disabilities should not be charged to enter a CTA."(My highlighting)

http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/rail/legislation/pf/penaltyfarespolicya?page=5

If the barrier staff won't let you through ask for the Duty Manager and show him/her the rules.

Established Member
Newcastle isn't in a Penalty Fare zone, so there isn't a CTA. The barrier staff should let you through, if not ask to see the station duty supervisor.

If you don't want to go to that hassle, just buy a single to Manors. Even better if you're travelling to Central by Metro and have a Day Rover, this is valid on Northern between Newcastle and Sunderland so will get you past the barriers as well.

Adam_Harrison

Newcastle isn't in a Penalty Fare zone, so there isn't a CTA. The barrier staff should let you through, if not ask to see the station duty supervisor.

If you don't want to go to that hassle, just buy a single to Manors. Even better if you're travelling to Central by Metro and have a Day Rover, this is valid on Northern between Newcastle and Sunderland so will get you past the barriers as well.

I get free metro travel so that wouldn't work :/! i'll try my luck with asking if not i'll get a ticket.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
I get free metro travel so that wouldn't work :/! i'll try my luck with asking if not i'll get a ticket.

Hey, i wouldn't worry if i was you. When i visit my girlfriend shes allowed on platform to meet me off the train and allowed back to see me onto train just explain what your doing and im pretty sure you will be fine. People in newcastle tend to be very friendly :)
And as others have said, if not then point out the rules to them.

David Dunning

Interesting all that because I had a slight problem at Newcastle a few weeks ago . i was working in the city, travelled by car and used the station car park because I was there all day and its central, I went into the station looking for a cash machine and found it was now cut off by barriers . I asked the woman on the barrier if I could use the cash machine was told thati would have to use one in the city ! I said that wasn't on as i had just paid 15 quid to park my car so was a paying east coast customer (a non travelling one ..yes but still a paying one) and got a "oh very well then"
So once again you are always at the mercy of staff on these barriers . The cash machines really need moving there

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Yeah i noticed that too. But i suppose that is a situation where they could say you dont need to be the other side of barrier to do as there is ATM's in the city.

but i definitely see where your coming from and im glad she let you through.

What if you need money for a ticket for example? it's very silly.

Established Member
Interesting all that because I had a slight problem at Newcastle a few weeks ago . i was working in the city, travelled by car and used the station car park because I was there all day and its central, I went into the station looking for a cash machine and found it was now cut off by barriers . I asked the woman on the barrier if I could use the cash machine was told thati would have to use one in the city ! I said that wasn't on as i had just paid 15 quid to park my car so was a paying east coast customer (a non travelling one ..yes but still a paying one) and got a "oh very well then"
So once again you are always at the mercy of staff on these barriers . The cash machines really need moving there

They do that all the time, even though they can and do let people through. Good excuse is to ask for the toilets. If they refuse tell them you'll have a pee on the barriers if they don't let you through.

moonrakerz

Glad you said "should" !

Salisbury isn't a CTA, there was a considerable amount of "aggro" (last year) when SWT staff were refusing to let ANYONE onto the platforms without a ticket.
I had a long discussion with the Duty Manager who eventually let me through, after at first flatly refusing.
I later spoke to the DfT who said that they had previously sent staff to Salisbury to see what was going on and to remind SWT management of the rules. They said they would investigate further ....................on my last visit I was let through on request........perhaps the "Men from The Ministry" had called again :lol::lol:

Established Member
I used to go to Central quite a lot during the evenings when I was living in Newcastle, before the barriers were put in. Unfortunately since they were installed I've never needed to ask to get on the platform as I've always had a ticket coming from somewhere else going back to Newcastle.

Did have to ask to use the cash machine at the end of last year and they refused to let me through, so just used a friend's ticket instead.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
The Station Management Office in Newcastle is at the east end of the main concourse (beyond the steps down to the Metro platforms but not as far as the car park).
There is a permanently staffed information desk slightly to the right as you walk in through the main public entrance - through the portico.
Either of these should be able to assist you.

Established Member
Any idea what the offices above platform 3/4 are used for? Thought this may be for the East Coast customer services but I don't think it is now.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Any idea what the offices above platform 3/4 are used for? Thought this may be for the East Coast customer services but I don't think it is now.
At the west end of P3 & 4, there is an upstairs meeting room as part of the first class lounge.
I'm not aware of the present use of the upstairs rooms to the east of the footbridge (I recall the comms room being up there before it was relocated many years ago).

Established Member
At the west end of P3 & 4, there is an upstairs meeting room as part of the first class lounge.
I'm not aware of the present use of the upstairs rooms to the east of the footbridge (I recall the comms room being up there before it was relocated many years ago).

I'll have to try and find out. Sometimes see staff coming out through a door on the footbridge between 3/4 and 5/6/7/8

David Dunning

I have to say that it's not just the railway stations that have a fixation with barrier gates. Duncan Bannatyne's Heath Clubs installed them too . I often wonder if anyone has a phobia about them lol . They always seem to attempt to slice me in half whenever i use them.

Status
Not open for further replies.