• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Police checking travel

Status
Not open for further replies.

VauxhallandI

Established Member
I copied and pasted the following onto my phone when the latest lockdown commenced.
Its on Gov.Uk.........(mods feel free to sort out the quote below)

"You should follow this guidance immediately. This is the law.

Leaving home
You must not leave, or be outside of your home except where necessary. You may leave the home to:

shop for basic necessities, for you or a vulnerable person.

go to work, or provide voluntary or charitable services, if you cannot reasonably do so from home

exercise with your household (or support bubble) or one other person, this should be limited to once per day, and you should not travel outside your local area.

meet your support bubble or childcare bubble where necessary, but only if you are legally permitted to form one

seek medical assistance or avoid injury, illness or risk of harm (including domestic abuse)

attend education or childcare - for those eligible

If you do leave home for a permitted reason, you should always stay local - unless it is necessary to go further, for example to go to work. Stay local means stay in the village, town, or part of the city where you live.

If you are clinically extremely vulnerable you should only go out for medical appointments, exercise or if it is essential. You should not attend work"
Guidance = Law? Seems odd no?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Richard Scott

Established Member
I think a sensible measure to reduce footfall would be to shutdown all the "click and collects" and restrict takeaways to delivery only as well.

It was great going to work back in the early stages of the pandemic walking through empty thoroughfares.
So you work for one of those businesses then and are happy with the consequences of loss of earnings and possibility of closure of the business, laying people off of the owner may be struggling to make ends meet?
Don't forget some of these are small businesses, not all large chains.

Yew

Established Member
Just seen on BBC Wales TV a report of a coloured man dying in custody last Friday in a Cardiff police station and that approx 300 Black Lives Matter demonstrated in a protest today. I saw a police presence but what do you think they were doing ? Standing watching !!!
In addition to the numbers there they must have travelled to get there.
Why do I feel they wouldn't be so patient for an anti-lockdown protest.

trainophile

Established Member
Click & collect is a substitute for delivered grocery orders too, given it's so hard to get a delivery slot. If they stop c&c it just means more people will be crowding into the stores to buy what food they need.

TheSel

Click & Collect groceries are not changing.
Depends where you are. In Scotland they are changing, from Saturday.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-55646778
"Covid restrictions around takeaway and click and collect services in Scotland are to tighten.
Only shops selling essential items - such as clothing, footwear, baby equipment, homeware and books - will be allowed to offer click and collect.
Collections must also be outdoors, with appointments staggered to avoid queuing.
And takeaways can no longer allow customers indoors, and must instead operate from a hatch or doorway."

(my red underlining)

Last edited by a moderator:

island

Veteran Member
My point was that click & collect will still be available for groceries; it is only ceasing for non-essential stores. So there won’t be “more people crowding into stores” to buy food.

birchesgreen

Established Member
"Only shops selling essential items - such as clothing, footwear, baby equipment, homeware and books - will be allowed to offer click and collect."

Seems like most shops will be unaffected.

GodAtum

On Moderation
Do you think bus drivers and station staff will grass people up they suspect of breaking the travel rules?

Funny they don't actually include food in that list of essential items. I can't think what sort of shops will be changing then.

Food retailers (along with a list of "essential" retail) are allowed to be fully open anyway so this change doesn't apply to them.

All "Non-essential" retail was allowed to trade as click and collect only - today's changes stop some of those offering click and collect

Examples off the top of my head. a bookshop will be able to continue to offer C&C whereas a jewellers will have to stop C&C and move to delivery only
others affected probably include florists, greeting card shops, gift shops, possibly furniture shops too
I'm not convinced this will make a significant difference - the thrust just now seems to be aimed at reducing the number of reasons for folk to leave their house and this is seen as a way of doing that

Fortunately Off-licences were quickly classed as essential at the start of the first lockdown (this is Scotland after all!)

route101

Established Member
Do you think bus drivers and station staff will grass people up they suspect of breaking the travel rules?

Doubt it, more interested in driving the bus or train! Possibly a dirty look from a bus driver if its obvious.

Philip

On Moderation

Not from this direction, but even so passengers who are blatantly ignoring travel rules without good reason can't really blame anyone but themselves if they get caught out.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Another demonstration took place outside Cardiff Bay Police station today with the police just standing watching and on BLM Facebook page the protesters said they will be there every day UFN.

www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/protest-cardiff-mohamud-mohammed-hassan-19619790

Protestors took to the streets in Cardiff for a second day on Wednesday following the death of Mohamud Mohammed Hassan hours after he was released from police custody.

More than 150 people attended the protest outside Cardiff Bay Police Station, carrying placards and chanting outside the station.

The road outside the police station leading from Cardiff Bay into Grangetown was blocked for more than an hour.

Messages on the placards read "Justice for Mohamud" and "All Lives Won't Matter Until Black Lives Matter".

Two harmless women can drive to the Peak District in all innocence and have a posse of police descend on them for breaching COVID rules and yet this crowd are allowed to do as they please. It makes my blood boil on two counts:-

(1) One rule for BLM supporting people, another for white people and the police taking no action
(2) Making an unnecessary journey to the location and breaking COVID rules on this and on gathering.

Priti Patel take action on the police, please.

Last edited:

Cdd89

Established Member
On the other hand, if you fancy a day out in Cardiff there’s your ‘reasonable excuse’ as sanctioned by the police.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
On the other hand, if you fancy a day out in Cardiff there’s your ‘reasonable excuse’ as sanctioned by the police.

There seems to be a reluctance to report the event in the Media which I thought would have prominence. Is there "gagging" going on ? Excuse the conspiracy theory.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
There seems to be a reluctance to report the event in the Media which I thought would have prominence. Is there "gagging" going on ? Excuse the conspiracy theory.

A previous Government did have a gentleman's agreement with the press not to report on certain goings on in the run-up to the abdication crisis, so such things have been known.

TheSel

A previous Government did have a gentleman's agreement with the press not to report on certain goings on in the run-up to the abdication crisis, so such things have been known.
Indeed. "Gagging orders" are the instruments of dictatorships. "Gentlemen's agreements" - whilst overtly sexist in name and tone - are instances of the democratic act of not publishing information.

HLE

Established Member

Of course there is, probably pressure from Whitehall.

Ironic that some public figures claim the pandemic is racist.

HLE

Established Member
The main criticism is of the failure to enforce COVID Rules.

As is mine.

Still, limiting exercise and the constant emphasis on Boris' 7 mile bike ride is more important than reporting the police's failure to enforce Covid restrictions in Cardiff, when police arrested those protesting about lockdown restrictions in London. Up to us all to draw conclusions on why.

Erniescooper

https://www.winsfordguardian.co.uk/...-trainspotters-breaking-covid-lockdown-rules/

TWO trainspotters have been sent home from Acton Bridge station having been warned their hobby is not a valid reason to be outside in lockdown.

Under the current Covid lockdown, all residents in England must stay at home unless they have a valid reason to go outside.

This could be shopping for essential food, attending a medical appointment or travelling to work if you cannot do it at home – but not trainspotting.

And that was the message police had to deliver to the pair at Acton Bridge station today, January 14, after a resident contacted officers to report the lockdown breach.

Last edited by a moderator:

bramling

Veteran Member
More concerned residents.....

We should have a list of the collaborators published in the newspaper at the end with the detail of their outrage and concern

Funny isn't it, wasn't Acton Bridge the place where there have been historical issues between local residents and trainspotters?

So highly likely to be another example of Covid being used as a proxy when the real issue is actually something else.

Just like the "cyclists stop panting virus through our village" banners last year, which might have well have read "we don't really like cyclists coming past, we tolerate them in normal times because there's nothing we can do about it, however now's our chance to stamp our feet down and be awkward".

Last edited:

LowLevel

Established Member
Funny isn't it, wasn't Acton Bridge the place where there have been historical issues between local residents and trainspotters?

So highly likely to be another example of Covid being used as a proxy when the real issue is actually something else.

Just like the "cyclists stop panting virus through our village" banners last year, which might have well have read "we don't really like cyclists coming past, we tolerate them in normal times because there's nothing we can do about it, however now's our chance to stamp our feet down and be awkward".

I can absolutely guarantee that the miserable git who lives outside who is constantly amping on at spotters has finally found a way to stick the knife in and will no doubt be loving it.

Cdd89

Established Member
Just like the "cyclists stop panting virus through our village" banners last year, which might have well have read "we don't really like cyclists coming past”

I saw a sign walking along the Thames a few months ago. It was a homemade sign saying “this street is NO LONGER part of the Q14 Cycle route”. People like that relish the chance to get the authorities to act on their otherwise baseless complaints.

nedchester

Established Member
I can absolutely guarantee that the miserable git who lives outside who is constantly amping on at spotters has finally found a way to stick the knife in and will no doubt be loving it.
Yes it’ll be him.

Status
Not open for further replies.