• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Possible 313 fire at Shoreham - 25/01

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichardKing

Reports coming in of smoke filling the carriages of 313 201. A rescue train has just left Brighton.

One person has mentioned that the train was 'wobbling and making a horrible gurning sound' on the approach to Shoreham.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

trainmania100

Established Member
I think one of my mates said it had new traction motors fitted recently
Perhaps some wiring wasn't secure or something.

Looks like this was the path. Think it worked 5S31 back to lovers walk on the maps
This link here takes you to the 1S31 working, which is what 313201 was working when it failed at shoreham. This link does not expire, and should be available for some time. If it does, then all this link shows you is that it was on time until Shoreham when it suddenly became 84 late arriving. www.rail-record.co.uk/rail/liverail/train/265573/25/01/19
If you cant access the link , cancellation reason in trust says it was vigilance device problem.

The below link is a VSTP working from Shoreham to lovers walk, where the faulty unit was taken out of service. It went to lovers walk via Hove.
This link won't expire any time soon.
https://www.rail-record.co.uk/rail/liverail/train/1191784/25/01/19

Last edited:

Bishopstone

Established Member
No doubt an unnerving experience for all concerned, and I trust all are well.

But this has to be karma. The West Coastway mob have hogged 313 201 for months, and see what happens? The unit will find better luck when it returns to it’s rightful home, allocated to the Seafords.

trainmania100

Established Member
No doubt an unnerving experience for all concerned, and I trust all are well.

But this has to be karma. The West Coastway mob have hogged 313 201 for months, and see what happens? The unit will find better luck when it returns to it’s rightful home, allocated to the Seafords.
I couldn't agree more. Love seeing it pass my house

zn1

ahh the dear old G310BZ traction motor .normally a very reliable piece of kit....Lovers walk boys should be able to do a motor(s) swap in one shift....

sarahj

Established Member
Does anybody have any footage or images showing the extent of the fire?
I've seen the pics of the damage, but been asked not to share. Not great, but could be worse. Not a TM fault. Problem is Big Blue is showing her age, her insides are not in great shape. We lost two units to fire that night (or smoke), then yesterday at Shoreham the drop window in the cab shattered, resulting in a BTN-PMH canx , so that was 3 out in two days.

Surreytraveller

On Moderation
I've seen the pics of the damage, but been asked not to share. Not great, but could be worse. Not a TM fault. Problem is Big Blue is showing her age, her insides are not in great shape. We lost two units to fire that night (or smoke), then yesterday at Shoreham the drop window in the cab shattered, resulting in a BTN-PMH canx , so that was 3 out in two days.
Two fires? When and where was the other one

Robsignals

Poor to have no toilets on a long distance service. How come Southern 377s have gone to SE while 313s are limping on?

BRblue

There were reports of a unit having issues at Bognor. I did delete most of the messages from that day day in bulk, but posts talked of two fires.
Apart from 313201 at Shoreham... your right about the 2nd failure at Bognor earlier in the day.
But while the Shoreham incident was being dealt with a further 313 failed entering West Worthing middle road!

Metal_gee_man

Poor to have no toilets on a long distance service. How come Southern 377s have gone to SE while 313s are limping on?
I think you'll find a vast majority of those 377s were liveried up as Thameslink, as Southern handed them off to TL and then as the 700s came in the 377s got cascaded to SE

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Because there has never been either a requirement by the DfT or any voluntary commitment by the TOC to replace the 313s during the current franchise? It’s been regularly suggested in these forums that their life extension was with a view to replacement during the next franchise.

On the other hand transferring 25 x 377s to Southeastern was in the GTR franchise spec.

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
I expect there'll be some 377s on 313 diagrams tomorrow, with resultant shortages on the mainline?

Or cancel the Brighton - Portsmouth circuits - this would free up 3 x 313 diagrams I think

Coastway pax could use the Southampton services that start/end at Brighton or change at Littlehampton for the local Portsmouth stoppers perhaps?

Surreytraveller

On Moderation
Or cancel the Brighton - Portsmouth circuits - this would free up 3 x 313 diagrams I think

Coastway pax could use the Southampton services that start/end at Brighton or change at Littlehampton for the local Portsmouth stoppers perhaps?
Probably better off changing at Barnham and / or Havant if the through Brighton to Portsmouths are cancelled

Surreytraveller

On Moderation

Probably better off changing at Barnham and / or Havant if the through Brighton to Portsmouths are cancelled

sarahj

Established Member
Apart from 313201 at Shoreham... your right about the 2nd failure at Bognor earlier in the day.
But while the Shoreham incident was being dealt with a further 313 failed entering West Worthing middle road!
I was never quite sure if the WWO middle road was Big Blue or another unit. I know my Hove shuttles on Sat am were 377. Taking out the PMH-BTN service is a non starter. It's a busy train. During the strike when the Southampton service was taken out, it meant massive gaps from places like Chi and Barnham, quite a few folks are going long distance, Cardiff to Btn or further with a change at Fratton. Going via Lit, with a further change at Hove, it was faster to send folks up to Three Bridges via Horsham than Faff. Plus coastway from Brighton to Worthing almost needs the 10 min frequency. (2x Vic to Lit (with 2x Btn-Hov for connect),2x Btn to WWO/Lit, 1 x Btn to PMH, 1 x Btn to Sou). The 313's have their issues, but with some TLC they can run ok. Perhaps the added wiring for the Wi-fi might be too much.

Robsignals

I think you'll find a vast majority of those 377s were liveried up as Thameslink, as Southern handed them off to TL and then as the 700s came in the 377s got cascaded to SE

Why do SE need them when they've increased Javelin mileage? Are they planning higher frequencies, aren't most peak services already 12 car?

Metal_gee_man

Why do SE need them when they've increased Javelin mileage? Are they planning higher frequencies, aren't most peak services already 12 car?
SE need them to allow services to run as 8 or 12 carriage services, it seems as if most of the 377s are running Canterbury West/Ashford Int to Victoria diagrams, and many of the 375s have been displaced out to make regular 8 carriage services from Ramsgate to Charing Cross via Canterbury West or Via Dover Priory, as well as the Ramsgate/Dover Priory to Victoria services! That in addition the Medway Valley line now uses 375s rather than networkers so all in all it wasn't about new services but improving seats per train

pompeyfan

Established Member
I wonder if 707s will be offered cheap to Southern, and toilets added. That way you could also possibly move a lot of the Southampton - Brighton work over to 707s and then strengthen other SN services with the displaced 377s. The units are fitted with ASDO so short platforms wouldn’t be an issue. It would however likely lead to the loss of the traditional conductor role on many routes which would be disappointing.

Robsignals

SE need them to allow services to run as 8 or 12 carriage services, it seems as if most of the 377s are running Canterbury West/Ashford Int to Victoria diagrams, and many of the 375s have been displaced out to make regular 8 carriage services from Ramsgate to Charing Cross via Canterbury West or Via Dover Priory, as well as the Ramsgate/Dover Priory to Victoria services! That in addition the Medway Valley line now uses 375s rather than networkers so all in all it wasn't about new services but improving seats per train

No 377s run Ramsgate to Dover off-peak all Javelins, must have enough to cover all off -peak needs so I don't know what they're doing with our 377s!

Robsignals

I wonder if 707s will be offered cheap to Southern, and toilets added. That way you could also possibly move a lot of the Southampton - Brighton work over to 707s and then strengthen other SN services with the displaced 377s. The units are fitted with ASDO so short platforms wouldn’t be an issue. It would however likely lead to the loss of the traditional conductor role on many routes which would be disappointing.

Any service from Brighton going further than Seaford or Littlehampton should be mainline stock. The promise with DOO is all services have an OBS spending all their time on customer service which removes any financial incentive to replace 313s.

Running with a Driver and Guard makes no odds on the Coastway anyway, they are well diagrammed and it's very rare a Guard gets displaced due to service disruption for example and they tend to have a reasonable number of spares, of course they have the odd cancellation here and there, but trains have also been cancelled because of no OBS. They do seem to have a thing now about running everything DOO for the sake of it, probably because they want to make it worthwhile them paying the drivers all that money but surely cameras or no cameras is not the be all and end all. Ideally I'd imagine they are hoping Southeastern order a new fleet and they get the 377s back and they can try and have an all Electrostar/Turbostar fleet for flexibility however if not is it really worth spending top bucks on all singing all dancing DOO trains when cheaper existing trains will no doubt be available or they could even replace the 455s on Metro and move them to the coast as they seem to be in much better condition compared to the 313 stock and they will gain the extra carriage.

Status
Not open for further replies.