• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Possible route reopenings

Status
Not open for further replies.

SS4

Established Member
Hmmm...I'd like to see the South Staffs line reopen, have OHLE (along with the Stourbridge Junction-Worcester bit & The Cotswoulds/Malverns) and operate with possibly 3 car desiros (New build of course!). That then provides a excuse to electrify Walsall - Rugeley TV/Sutton Park - Camp Hill - X City!

What would happen to all the freight? Assuming you wanted it open for passenger use of course. I wouldn't mind having it open for passenger use either especially if there's a station at Park Lane/Forge Lane. Even better if it fell into the WMPTE area along with New St- Water Orton :lol:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

I fully agree that the Plymouth - Okehamton - Exeter line should be reopened.
The extension Bere Alston to Tavistock should where possible be relaid with thought to doubling the line, and extending to Exeter in the future. Meldon Viaduct needs major work, but that is just one structure. An Act of Parliament could be made to enable land to be reacquired where essential.
Why were these important transport corridors not preserved for future road / rail etc? Just stupidity.

Tomonthetrain

Established Member
What would happen to all the freight? Assuming you wanted it open for passenger use of course. I wouldn't mind having it open for passenger use either especially if there's a station at Park Lane/Forge Lane. Even better if it fell into the WMPTE area along with New St- Water Orton :lol:

That's go passenger reopening too but with freight still going through.

The Planner

Veteran Member
Sutton Park is being re-signalled as part of the Water Orton scheme, headway's get halved down there. Stick a turnback in for Aldridge terminators and some wires and Robert is your mothers brother. I can't see a business case getting anywhere to make the whole thing a passenger route.

I fully agree that the Plymouth - Okehamton - Exeter line should be reopened.
The extension Bere Alston to Tavistock should where possible be relaid with thought to doubling the line, and extending to Exeter in the future. Meldon Viaduct needs major work, but that is just one structure. An Act of Parliament could be made to enable land to be reacquired where essential.
Why were these important transport corridors not preserved for future road / rail etc? Just stupidity.

I echo your statements!

EDIT: oh, I see I'm now an established member.

Waverley125

Just a discussion starter really, as in the thread title. Some personal opinions:

Scotland

Fraserburgh/Peterhead-Aberdeen
Ballater-Aberdeen
Dundee-Leuchars via Tayport
Leuchars-Kirkcaldy via St Andrews (Neuk line)
Perth-Montrose via Forfar
Dundee-Kirriemuir via Forfar
Alloa-Dunfermline via Kincardine
Banff-Inverurie
Tweedbank-Carlisle (Waverley Route)
inc. St Boswells-Tweedmouth via Kelso
inc. Selkirk & Jedburgh branches
inc. Dalkeith branch
Newcraighall-Galashiels via Peebles
Gifford/MacMerry-Edinburgh

Northern England

Alnmouth-Alnwick
Seahouses-Chathill
Penrith-Workington via Cockermouth & Keswick
Bishop Auckland-Penrith via Kirkby Stephen
Skipton-Colne
York-Bridlington
Menston-Otley
Harrogate-Northallerton via Ripon
Durham Elvet-Pelaw/Sunderland (as part of TW Metro)
Nunthorpe-Guisborough
Battersby-Picton (plus new southern chord for Northallerton)
Knottingley-Doncaster (Askern line)
Low Moor-Horbury Bridge via Heckmondwike
Leeds-Huddersfield via Birstall & Heckmonwike (Leeds New Line)
Darnall-Stocksbridge via Sheffield Victoria
Sheffield Victoria-Hadfield (Woodhead route)
Matlock-Buxton
Cross Gates-Harrogate via Wetherby
Wakefield-Dearne Valley Parkway via Cudworth
Barnsley-Dearne Valley Parkway

Central England

Boston-Lincoln
Skegness-Lincoln
Lincoln-Retford (avoiding Gainsborough)
Spalding-Boston
Spalding-March
Grantham-Lincoln
Firsby Junction-Louth-Grimsby (East Lincolnshire line)
Woodhall Junction-Horncastle
Leicester-Burton on Trent via Coalville
Melton Mowbray-Nottingham
Newark-Market Harborough via Melton Mowbray
Market Harborough-Northampton
Northampton-Bedford
Nottingham-Derby via Ilkeston
Derby-Nottingham via Castle Donnington
Bedford St Johns-Cambridge via Sandy
Hereford-Gloucester via Ross on Wye
Chepstow-Ross on Wye via Monmouth
Monmouth-Pontypool via Usk

Southern England

Lewes-Uckfield (BML2)
Plymouth-Exeter via Tavistock
Barnstaple-Ilframcombe
Barnstaple-Bideford-Torrington
Okehampton-Bude

Badger

Midlands lines that are being considered:

South Staffordshire Line (Walsall to Wednesbury to Dudley to Stourbridge)
See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Staffordshire_Line

Wolverhampton and Walsall Railway (as light rail) (Wolverhampton, A4124 to Willenhall, Walsall)
See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolverhampton_and_Walsall_Railway

Lines I'd like to see:

Wolverhampton and Oxford Railway (as light rail) - (Priestfield, Princes End, Tipton, Dudley, Stourbridge)
See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxford-Worcester-Wolverhampton_Line

Wolverhampton to Walsall Line (with an added station at Willenhall)
See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolverhampton_to_walsall_line

Great Central Railway (Nottingham to Leicester to Rugby), not really possible without heavy demolition though!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Central_Railway

Nym

Established Member
The York to Beverley line should be taking priority over Driffeild - York IMO...

And if the TPE Network is being wired, chances are it would be of a high level of benifit if York is to have 2tph via this route, covering stops at Haxby, that it should be electified when built...

Eagle

Established Member
Carmarthen to Aberystwyth would more than hold its own if it hadn't been closed. Sadly the cost of reinstalling it would probably be too high, given the poor terrain.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Would the Grantham-Lincoln route have any time benefits over the current route from London-Lincoln via Newark?

Established Member
Leamside Line is probably the biggest missing from the list, unless you are including this as TW Metro from Pelaw? Add on to that the Ashington Blyth and Tyne as well.

Eagle

Established Member
Southern England

Lewes-Uckfield (BML2)
Plymouth-Exeter via Tavistock
Barnstaple-Ilframcombe
Barnstaple-Bideford-Torrington
Okehampton-Bude

Northern-centric much?

Here's some more closed or freight-only southern lines that would be useful:
Totton to Fawley
Brockenhurst to Wimborne (via Ringwood)
Bordon spur
Pewsey to Holt Junction (via Devizes) as an extension of Bedwyn line services
Portishead branch as an extension of Avonmouth services
Henbury loop
Stansted Airport to Braintree
Smallbrook Junction to Newport and/or Cowes
(ambitious) Andover to Swindon (via Marlborough)
Alton to Winchester

twoag

Oxford to Carterton (via Witney) is being surveyed by Oxfordshire CC I believe

Cheltenham - Honeybourne - Stratford on Avon gets mentioned sometimes

High Wycombe to Bourne End also repeatedly gets mentioned...

Personally I am looking forward to East-West Rail Oxford Bletchley as I could use it to commute..

All it needs is the political will (which isn't there when it comes too it most times)

The Severn rail bridge.. seen pictures of it, it must have been quite a sight-- It'll never be done and no logical reason just it must have been impressive

pemma

Veteran Member
Locally to me:
* Sandbach-Middlewich-Northwich - high benefit to cost ratio, stretched council transport budget seems to have hampered progress.
* Stockport-Marple - strong case put forward a few years ago but gone quiet recently.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Darnall-Stocksbridge via Sheffield Victoria
Sheffield Victoria-Hadfield (Woodhead route)

Wouldn't it be more cost-effective and passenger friendly to route them in to Sheffield Midland, opposed to reopening Sheffield Victoria?

After all the Northern Hub includes plans for more capacity through Manchester but there are no plans to reopen Manchester Mayfield, Manchester Central or Manchester Liverpool Street.

tempests1

Northern-centric much?

Here's some more closed or freight-only southern lines that would be useful:
Totton to Fawley
Brockenhurst to Wimborne (via Ringwood)
Bordon spur
Pewsey to Holt Junction (via Devizes) as an extension of Bedwyn line services
Portishead branch as an extension of Avonmouth services
Henbury loop
Stansted Airport to Braintree
Smallbrook Junction to Newport and/or Cowes
(ambitious) Andover to Swindon (via Marlborough)
Alton to Winchester

Guildford to Horsham - Cranleigh is a fairly sizeable place and would generate large passenger numbers and it would be a very useful diversionary route
I will hold back from saying the Chichester to Midhurst Line as it would not be a success, but back in Victorian times there was a there was a proposal to build a line extension from Midhurst to Haslemere but was later dropped, if this had happened then I am sure that the line would have survived.
Tunbridge Wells West Line

Nym

Established Member
Wouldn't it be more cost-effective and passenger friendly to route them in to Sheffield Midland, opposed to reopening Sheffield Victoria?

After all the Northern Hub includes plans for more capacity through Manchester but there are no plans to reopen Manchester Mayfield, Manchester Central or Manchester Liverpool Street.

Personally, I'd say that depends on what HS2 is planning to do in Sheffeild, if we go with the slightly curveyer plan to have an HS2 station at Nunnery Square, than the lines to Stocksbridge and Penistone could be re-opened to run through Sheffeild Victoria (in the style of Deansgate) and terminate or run through Nunnery Square (for links to Sheffeild Midland) where the HS2 platforms would be, and have HS2 roughly follow the line to Stocksbridge, then swing East round Wakefeild to reach Leeds via Sourton on a branch from a delta junction with the main route continuing (via Leeds East Parkway?) to York.

Altrincham

Just a question about the suggestion of re-opening Derby-Nottingham via Castle Donington. Which route would the line take out of Derby to get to Donington?

Bevan Price

Established Member
Carmarthen to Aberystwyth would more than hold its own if it hadn't been closed. .

Sadly I doubt it. Too much empty countryside between them. I did the line a few times in 1964. Three return services per day, trains I travelled on were nearly empty.

Bevan Price

Established Member
We can all dream about what we would like to reopen, or what should never have closed. Unfortunately, few of our dreams will be fulfilled. Some lines that closed were lost causes even when they were built. Others closed because they were given lousy services, too few, or running at times which made them useless for workers, schools or shopping trips. Other lines had services that were painfully slow - for example the GC main line between Sheffield & Nottingham, badly affected by mining subsidence.

I think that any line serving towns /populations of 20,000 or less have a low chance of reopening. Even 50,000 may not be enough . And some trackbeds are probably now sold / obstructed by new buildings. Ignoring that possibility, and with the mythical "unlimited funds", my first choices for reopening would include:
Eccles - Tyldesley - Leigh - Kenyon Junction.
Blackpool South - Blackpool Central
Poulton Le Fylde - Fleetwood.
Ormskirk - Skelmersdale (with new loop to serve "new town" areas)
Harrogate - Ripon - Northallerton.
Cross Gates - Wetherby - Harrogate.
York - Beverley.
Malton - Pickering.
Leamside line.
Bishop Auckland - Durham - Sunderland - South Shields.
Newcastle - Ashington / Blyth / Newbiggin
(the above three maybe as part of an extended Metro system)
Perth - Forfar - Kinnaber Junction (for Aberdeen)
Rugby - Leicester (LMS route)
Wolverhampton / Walsall - Dudley - Stourbridge Junction (as trams)
Grimsby - Louth - Mablethorpe - Firsby - Boston - Spalding
Spalding - March (some passenger services, but mainly as an alternative freight route.)
Dunstable - Luton (new connection to MML at Luton) (sadly likely to be a bus failway)
Uckfield - Lewes
Horsham (Christs Hospital) - Guildford & Shoreham.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Talking of South of the Thames, it has struck me that in my absolute ideal fantasy world, the Cukoo line (between Eridge and Polegate) which used to pass through some decent size settlements such as Heathfield and Hailsham and would probably have a case today not least in terms of commuting. Alas I fear that certain parts have been built on.

Eagle

Established Member
maybe because most lines south of the Thames are still open ?!

If you actually looked at a map you'll see that's not true at all!

There are three distinct regions south of the Thames:

• Devon and Cornwall, whose branch-line structure remained mainly intact, possibly due to the huge tourist market
  • The Home Counties, which have a very London-centric, commuter-driven network, which again survived mainly intact
  • The middle bit, consisting of Dorset, Somerset, Wiltshire, West Berkshire and Hampshire, in which more than 50% of the railway disappeared between 1962 and 1972.

It's this middle bit that seems to be neglected in these terms. Look at Dorset, or Wiltshire, and tell me it has a decent rail network. Or a decent public transport network at all.

South does not equal Home Counties.

Rant over :P

Of the list of ten southern schemes I listed earlier, nine are in this middle bit, and all of them (with the possible exception of the M&SWJR, Swindon to Andover) have a half-decent business case, either commuting to London or improving local/interurban links.

Last edited:

ACE1888

Been hearing this 'stuff' for years, believe it (in England anyway) when i see it, sceptical at best (although I'd love to see it) Read a comment about Devon and Cornwalls network 'remained largely intact' following the Beeching cuts? Try telling the good folk of North Cornwall/North Devon that!:(
Actions speak louder than words...:roll:

Eagle

Established Member
Read a comment about Devon and Cornwalls network 'remained largely intact' following the Beeching cuts? Try telling the good folk of North Cornwall/North Devon that!

Okay true, but mileage-wise (and probably percentage-wise) South Central England lost way more than the peninsula. And it's a larger, more affluent and more populated area.

Last edited:

Jonny

Established Member
The problem is paying for it all. In Scotland, the Airdrie>Bathgate scheme was funded as part of the environmental/business case for a road expansion scheme. The only way a major reopening is going to happen in England is the same.

Edit: apart from the former NSE area - which has such a high population density to make many a scheme worthwhile by relieving the roads (such as East/West and Chiltern Evergreen 3).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.