• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Potential Shrewsbury to Wolverhampton upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shrop

On Moderation
If you go down that route, the WCML and ECML should be 140mph and every piece of the XC and GW network should be 125mph or higher.
It's very different. Those routes weren't 140mph 50 years ago.

I don't agree with the bit in bold. Oakengates and Telford are about a mile apart. Cosford and Albrighton around a mile and a half. Codsall and Bilbrook about ¾ mile. The closest pairs of stations on the Shrewsbury - Crewe line are Yorton/Wem/Prees (around 3 miles-ish between each), followed by Wrenbury and Nantwich (circa 4½ miles). That will definitely make a big difference in the speeds a stopper will be able to attain between them. There's also a ten mile signal section between Prees and Wrenbury, which limits how close trains can travel and means 90mph running isn't going to be compromised by a slower train ahead (although I suppose it's not unheard of - albeit unusual - for one train to need to wait for another to clear that section). Apples and oranges for me, although I don't have any dog in this fight.
This is tangential, it's not rocket science to recognise that stopping trains won't be reaching 90mph in short distances. But Wolves to Telford is perfectly capable of accommodating 90mph running for the many trains that run non stop along here. And on the Wellington to Shrewsbury section, ALL trains including stoppers could benefit from 90mph running.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

craigybagel

Established Member
The arguments can be presented in various ways, you've chosen one way. The stations on the Shrewsbury-Crewe line are very similarly spaced, but trains run on that line at 90mph. And both routes have all stations stoppers as well as faster trains.
The stoppers rarely reach 90mph though. Whitchurch - Wrenbury, in that direction only.

My point was that for a large amount of the trains a large amount of the time, speeds above 70 aren't attainable. And for those for which it is, it's completely pointless.
Look at this another way. I'm not particularly advocating 90mph in order to save just a couple of minutes along the route, that's a matter for those who are presently advocating the linespeed upgrade. My point is that today's trains are far more capable of reaching 90mph than the loco hauled trains of the 1970s were, so why not permit trains to do it just because they can easily do so, which not least addresses the appalling advert for slow trains where the A5 runs parallel and almost all cars over take them, seeing as rail speed limits are rigidly enforced whereas road speed limits on the A5 here never are?
Because it would cost a lot of money, and other than making you feel good about going faster than cars on the A5 it would achieve next to nothing.
This is a very negative perception. You could equally say that if the train had arrived just a minute or two earlier due to the upgrade, it would be in time to be pathed ahead of conflicting movements.
Just because it's negative in your view doesn't stop it being true.

NI 271

It's very different. Those routes weren't 140mph 50 years ago.

This is tangential, it's not rocket science to recognise that stopping trains won't be reaching 90mph in short distances. But Wolves to Telford is perfectly capable of accommodating 90mph running for the many trains that run non stop along here. And on the Wellington to Shrewsbury section, ALL trains including stoppers could benefit from 90mph running.
Your assertion that the stations along the two lines were "very similarly spaced", isn't accurate. There was nothing tangential about pointing that out, although to be fair I should have left it at that.

the sniper

Established Member
Anyone else getting major déjà vu with the way this thread has gone...?

Undiscovered

This is a very negative perception. You could equally say that if the train had arrived just a minute or two earlier due to the upgrade, it would be in time to be pathed ahead of conflicting movements.
No, it's reality. Arriving to Wolves, you need to fit in with Northbound departures too.
Just because you arrive at the junction early, doesn't mean the signaller has time to allow the interlock to time out, from the Northbound, slip you across the junction into the station and then reset it for the Southbound from Crewe without putting them on restrictive aspects.
Even if the platform was available, without an alteration and displacing passengers, you'll probably still be held at Wolves to allow the late service to pick up its path to Birmingham.

Wolves is too tight a station to change any timings. The new units will simply leave Shrewsbury later, as that's where the flexibility is.

Shrop

On Moderation
Anyone else getting major déjà vu with the way this thread has gone...?
Indeed it has been said before. My only reason for raising it again is because both the rail press and the local press did. I see nothing has changed among the views on this forum though :rolleyes::lol:

However, it remains interesting that those on this forum are so unsympathetic about this route, which matches the long standing position of the rail authorities. From a non rail perspective, looking at the previous fares, the way the Wrexham and Shropshire service was hounded out of existence, the line speeds, the way the London service has been treated etc etc, it does appear very discriminatory. But perhaps those with rail backgrounds can't see both sides of the situation :s

Last edited:

The Planner

Veteran Member
Indeed it has been said before. My only reason for raising it again is because both the rail press and the local press did. I see nothing has changed among the views on this forum though :rolleyes::lol:

However, it remains interesting that those on this forum are so unsympathetic about this route, which matches the long standing position of the rail authorities. From a non rail perspective, looking at the previous fares, the way the Wrexham and Shropshire service was hounded out of existence, the line speeds, the way the London service has been treated etc etc, it does appear very discriminatory. But perhaps those with rail backgrounds can't see both sides of the situation :s
WSMR weren't hounded out. They knew the issues and still thought they could make a success of it. Moderation of competition wasn't Virgins fault either. As I said above, the linespeed has been the same for 50 years.

Shrop

On Moderation
WSMR weren't hounded out. They knew the issues and still thought they could make a success of it.
They may have taken the service on in the knowledge that they would be prohibited from using the fast route to London. They may also have known that they would be disallowed from picking up passengers at the most lucrative stations along the route, despite running through them. This doesn't appear to be in the true spirit of competition, but they took it on anyway, and achieved the highest customer satisfaction rating of any TOC in the UK. This should have made Government sit up and take notice, as it was a superb advert for the stated Government objective to encourage people out of their cars. It should have led to a review in those competition rules which railway people cling to so dearly.

Instead, Virgin weren't satisfied with the stranglehold they already had, they saw that WSMR had a useful service from Wrexham, so they targeted that too, and introduced a new competing service from there, which used the much faster route via Crewe. In a fair situation WSMR should at least have been given protection on Wrexham, since Virgin had their own protections as above.

However, Government never really are very serious about transport, sadly. What a shame that so many rail people focus on things like squashing WSMR, rather than seeing them as an ally to attract more people on to the railways, and banging on Government doors about it instead.

tomuk

Established Member
They may have taken the service on in the knowledge that they would be prohibited from using the fast route to London. They may also have known that they would be disallowed from picking up passengers at the most lucrative stations along the route, despite running through them. This doesn't appear to be in the true spirit of competition, but they took it on anyway, and achieved the highest customer satisfaction rating of any TOC in the UK. This should have made Government sit up and take notice, as it was a superb advert for the stated Government objective to encourage people out of their cars. It should have led to a review in those competition rules which railway people cling to so dearly.
I travelled on it myself on a number of occasions, it had great customer service, but the actual passenger numbers weren't great particularly when compared to the other Virgin + Connections options. To say it was a superb advert is stretching it somewhat.
Instead, Virgin weren't satisfied with the stranglehold they already had, they saw that WSMR had a useful service from Wrexham, so they targeted that too, and introduced a new competing service from there, which used the much faster route via Crewe. In a fair situation WSMR should at least have been given protection on Wrexham, since Virgin had their own protections as above.
It wasn't Virgin who weren't satisfied it was the Government, the Government authorised the extra service to Wrexham and the Government insisted that Virgin object to WMSR requests to vary stopping patterns\routing. This all to protect the income to Government from the premiums they were receiving from Virgin.

Shrop

On Moderation
I travelled on it myself on a number of occasions, it had great customer service, but the actual passenger numbers weren't great particularly when compared to the other Virgin + Connections options. To say it was a superb advert is stretching it somewhat.situation
It was the passenger satisfaction i was thinking of as a pro rail advert, the numbers never were likely to be that high with the constraints they had.
It wasn't Virgin who weren't satisfied it was the Government, the Government authorised the extra service to Wrexham and the Government insisted that Virgin object to WMSR requests to vary stopping patterns\routing. This all to protect the income to Government from the premiums they were receiving from Virgin.
You may well be correct in what you say. But what an appalling situation where Government is more concerned about protecting a bit of income, than they are about the much bigger objective of actually attracting people on to public transport. It underlines just how hypocritical and clueless that ministers really are.

Undiscovered

I'll state this again: I would be very, very surprised if any line improvements requiring any major earthworks or heavy equipment ever take place on the line.

Anyone undertaking such activities would need extremely deep pockets. Despite what the rail press, local rag and MPs say, it isn't going to happen.

tomuk

Established Member
I'll state this again: I would be very, very surprised if any line improvements requiring any major earthworks or heavy equipment ever take place on the line.

Anyone undertaking such activities would need extremely deep pockets. Despite what the rail press, local rag and MPs say, it isn't going to happen.
It isn't just the rail press, local rag and MPs these proposals are being put forward by Midlands Connect the Sub National Transport Body.

I do find it odd that everybody is so dismissive of improvements on a line serving the fifth largest settlement in the West Midlands which is also the third fastest growing too.

The passengers number aren't bad either for a journey taking an hour and served by a 2tph bunched Fast\Slow service.

craigybagel

Established Member
It isn't just the rail press, local rag and MPs these proposals are being put forward by Midlands Connect the Sub National Transport Body.

I do find it odd that everybody is so dismissive of improvements on a line serving the fifth largest settlement in the West Midlands which is also the third fastest growing too.

The passengers number aren't bad either for a journey taking an hour and served by a 2tph bunched Fast\Slow service.
I don't think people are dismissive about the improvements or how worthy the line is - it's just that unless you're prepared to spend a lot more money than the figures being bandied about by Midlands Connect, it's really hard to see any noticeable improvements take place.

The proponents haven't discussed how they're going to get around the issues that myself and others have flagged here.

Ok, the line is busy and on that basis it could justify investment to increase the rather low speeds, I can accept that. But how do you fix the fact it's got a flat crossing on to one of the most congested sections of track in the country at one end, and at the other links in to a very long and very busy single track route with limited passing places?

I'm not sure this framing whereby WSMR "took on" the service is accurate. To me it implies a DfT-specified franchise with certain service obligations. As I understood it, they were an Open Access Operator and therefore proposed services to the DfT themselves. Yes, the DfT (or should that be ORR, I'm not sure?) could reject proposals on the grounds of abstraction but it would still then be incumbent on WSMR to offer a refined proposal which was still acceptable to them. Or have I understood this wrong? Corrections welcome! :)

Shrop

On Moderation
Ok, the line is busy and on that basis it could justify investment to increase the rather low speeds, I can accept that. But how do you fix the fact it's got a flat crossing on to one of the most congested sections of track in the country at one end, and at the other links in to a very long and very busy single track route with limited passing places?
The fact that the route has an awkward flat access to the Wolverhampton-Stafford line isn't in dispute, however that's just bringing in an almost irrelevant factor as this has nothing to do with the linespeed towards Shrewsbury. The Shrewsbury to Crewe line has flat access at Crewe but that's NOT an argument to reduce train speeds on that route to 70mph. As I've indicated upthread, if the linespeed was 90mph and trains arrived at the junction from Shrewsbury a couple of minutes earlier, that's simply a pathing matter, and what route planner wouldn't welcome an extra couple of minutes to play with when pathing trains at a busy junction?

As for the other end, whilst you're commenting on the linespeed of the 70mph Shrewsbury to Wolverhampton section, I do wonder what single track route you're talking about? Do you mean the Aberystwyth line which has several 80mph and 90mph sections? Or perhaps you mean the Chester line which is up to 90mph, and where the single track section is 30 miles further along the route? How can you use these factors to mitigate against speeding up the line in question, which carries a lot more passengers than do the single track sections?

zwk500

Veteran Member
The fact that the route has an awkward flat access to the Wolverhampton-Stafford line isn't in dispute, however that's just bringing in an almost irrelevant factor as this has nothing to do with the linespeed towards Shrewsbury. The Shrewsbury to Crewe line has flat access at Crewe but that's NOT an argument to reduce train speeds on that route to 70mph. As I've indicated upthread, if the linespeed was 90mph and trains arrived at the junction from Shrewsbury a couple of minutes earlier, that's simply a pathing matter, and what route planner wouldn't welcome an extra couple of minutes to play with when pathing trains at a busy junction?
But you can get an extra couple of minutes for a lot less money by leaving Shrewsbury a bit earlier. The point of increasing linespeeds would be to lower journey times. If the overall journey time is still achievable with 70mph, why pay to upgrade the track other than for prestige?

The Planner

Veteran Member
The Cambrian speeds and infrastructure are what they are to deliver the fabled hourly service, and even that had to be tweaked as it was found you couldnt originally do it.

tomuk

Established Member
But you can get an extra couple of minutes for a lot less money by leaving Shrewsbury a bit earlier.
How would departing Shrewsbury a bit earlier effect timings of the incoming Aberystwyth and Holyhead services?
The point of increasing linespeeds would be to lower journey times. If the overall journey time is still achievable with 70mph, why pay to upgrade the track other than for prestige?
That is the whole point reducing journey times and increasing frequencies. The £15m is a first stage in a longer term plan.

Our study examined the economic case for speeding up Shrewsbury-Birmingham services from 56 minutes to around 45 minutes, a reduction that can be achieved via track upgrades and possible electrification.
This scheme would deliver up to £500 million of economic benefits along the route and has a value for money ratio of 3.6 with an estimated funding requirement of £140m for the full scheme

The long term plan appears to be extending an hourly post HS2 West Coast Euston to Wolverhampton service to Shrewsbury and increasing the local WMR service towards 4tph by combing the existing WMR Shrewsbury to Birmingham service with the electric WMR locals operating on the Stour Valley.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
increasing the local WMR service towards 4tph by combing the existing WMR Shrewsbury to Birmingham service with the electric WMR locals operating on the Stour Valley.
While I appreciate that there are a finite number of paths on the Stour Valley, matching up a train stopping on the Stour Valley with one calling all stations to Wellington would create a significant barrier to faster services between Birmingham and Shrewsbury unless there was an overtaking move at Wolverhampton. Is there much call for a cross Wolverhampton stopper of this kind from passengers?

Birmingham to Wolverhampton is 27 minutes on a stopper. Wolverhampton to Wellington is 40 minutes on a stopper. Birmingham to Wellington is 47 minutes on the TfW service.

There would be no point speeding up the TfW service if there were an all stations stopper because, even if it left just in front of the stopper from Birmingham, it would be right up behind the stopper at Wellington.

Last edited:

mmh

Established Member
Other routes out of Shrewsbury serve Chester and North Wales, ie nowhere with any population over 100,000;
The population of North Wales is far greater than 100,000.

craigybagel

Established Member
Yes, I suppose you could call it "simply a pathing matter" - I'm glad that after so many attempts you're starting to understand the issue here. It's a gross oversimplification but at least we're going in the right direction.

The pathing means you can't change the times the services pass through Wolverhampton or Shrewsbury - so you can spend (many) millions upgrading the speed of the line, but it won't do any good for journey times because the times at either end are fixed. Whilst I'm sure the pathing planners would indeed enjoy a couple of more minutes to play with, it's a lot of money for that kind of luxury.
As for the other end, whilst you're commenting on the linespeed of the 70mph Shrewsbury to Wolverhampton section, I do wonder what single track route you're talking about? Do you mean the Aberystwyth line which has several 80mph and 90mph sections? Or perhaps you mean the Chester line which is up to 90mph, and where the single track section is 30 miles further along the route? How can you use these factors to mitigate against speeding up the line in question, which carries a lot more passengers than do the single track sections?
Because as you say it's a single track line. The speeds are pretty irrelevant, the big issue is that the timetable is fixed around the limited passing places available. If you want a Birmingham - Aberystwyth service to leave Shrewsbury a few minutes earlier, using the time it's saved by running at 90 rather than 70 from Wolverhampton, it's either going to have to wait at Sutton Bridge Junction those few minutes waiting for the service coming the other way or you're going to end up with a spectacular and expensive bang in the Shrewsbury suburbs.

Let go of the inferiority complex over other lines because they have higher speeds and try looking at the bigger picture. Speeding up Wolves to Shrewsbury is almost completely pointless - and this is why every time you post here you get shot down.

The Planner

Veteran Member
How would departing Shrewsbury a bit earlier effect timings of the incoming Aberystwyth and Holyhead services?

That is the whole point reducing journey times and increasing frequencies. The £15m is a first stage in a longer term plan.

The long term plan appears to be extending an hourly post HS2 West Coast Euston to Wolverhampton service to Shrewsbury and increasing the local WMR service towards 4tph by combing the existing WMR Shrewsbury to Birmingham service with the electric WMR locals operating on the Stour Valley.
11 minutes saving? :lol: :lol: Post HS2, if you want London from Shrewsbury, even further afield, you get a train to Crewe and catch a HS2 service.
Also, as @JonathanH has noted, without more infrastructure/signaling, I don't see how you can get 4tph locals. Its 33 minutes for a local to do Wolves Wellington on a 6 minute headway. 24 minutes for a fast Telford Wellington. Stopper leaves Wolves xx.00, gets to Wellington at xx.33. 6 minute headway so you can't arrive at Wellington until xx.39, take 24 off that and you are leaving Wolves at xx.15, presumably when the next local needs to on a 4tph frequency. You then end up with bunched trains at Shrewsbury.

tomuk

Established Member
11 minutes saving? :lol: :lol: Post HS2, if you want London from Shrewsbury, even further afield, you get a train to Crewe and catch a HS2 service.
Yes its only 30 mins to Crewe. It could be a good destination for the extra hourly Aberystwyth. Or at least increasing the frequency of the stopper to reduce stops on the 'fast' Marches services
Also, as @JonathanH has noted, without more infrastructure/signaling, I don't see how you can get 4tph locals. Its 33 minutes for a local to do Wolves Wellington on a 6 minute headway. 24 minutes for a fast Telford Wellington. Stopper leaves Wolves xx.00, gets to Wellington at xx.33. 6 minute headway so you can't arrive at Wellington until xx.39, take 24 off that and you are leaving Wolves at xx.15, presumably when the next local needs to on a 4tph frequency. You then end up with bunched trains at Shrewsbury.
But if the line speed was increased even a 196 could surely beat 33 mins to Wellington they'll accelerate faster then a 170. However the full increased tph is reliant on electrification.

The Midlands Connect document is talking about £140m overall and a BCR of 3.6 sounds like a good return and not a massive outlay in the whole scheme of things.

The Planner

Veteran Member
Yes its only 30 mins to Crewe. It could be a good destination for the extra hourly Aberystwyth. Or at least increasing the frequency of the stopper to reduce stops on the 'fast' Marches services

But if the line speed was increased even a 196 could surely beat 33 mins to Wellington they'll accelerate faster then a 170. However the full increased tph is reliant on electrification.

The Midlands Connect document is talking about £140m overall and a BCR of 3.6 sounds like a good return and not a massive outlay in the whole scheme of things.
Previous work done on it shows negligible saving to Wellington on a stopper. Its all on the other side. A 196 might get you a minute, 90 seconds at a real push. Electrification and 90mph still isnt going to do it in my opinion.

Shrop

On Moderation
Let go of the inferiority complex over other lines because they have higher speeds and try looking at the bigger picture. Speeding up Wolves to Shrewsbury is almost completely pointless - and this is why every time you post here you get shot down.
I reiterate that the only reason I've raised this issue is because it's being promoted by others.

In respect of your description "inferiority complex" as I said upthread there are actually numerous reasons why people might think the Shrewsbury route has had a raw deal over the years, as explained in an article in the national rail press some years ago. Perhaps you should read that article, from memory it was in Today's Railways in the summer of 2011.

Also as upthread, I'm looking at this from the perspective of non rail person considering the journey towards Birmingham. I recognise that people with a rail background are not seeing this as I do, but I'm looking at this as a wider transport issue, which can be different even though it might appear to conflict with current rail principles.

It could be a good idea running some of the Aberystwyth trains to Crewe. It wouldn't need any reversing at Shrewsbury, whereas the Birmingham trains do have to reverse, and it would relieve congestion on the Birmingham route. It would provide a quicker route to London although connections at Crewe are purely by chance, but it wouldn't help Telford. It would also have the advantage that trains could terminate in the bay platforms at Crewe, which is a whole lot easier than the operational nightmare of having to cross right over to the Manchester line, which all trains from Shrewsbury - other than the two hourly all stations stoppers - do at present. Could be worth development.

Last edited:

craigybagel

Established Member
I reiterate that the only reason I've raised this issue is because it's being promoted by others.

In respect of your description "inferiority complex" as I said upthread there are actually numerous reasons why people might think the Shrewsbury route has had a raw deal over the years, as explained in an article in the national rail press some years ago. Perhaps you should read that article, from memory it was in Today's Railways in the summer of 2011.
Funnily enough I can actually recall reading that article. I found it to come across as some bitter nonsense not really befitting what was usually a decent magazine that I bought every month, but each to their own.

And that was before I started working on the route and gained a greater knowledge of the challenges it poses.
Also as upthread, I'm looking at this from the perspective of non rail person considering the journey towards Birmingham. I recognise that people with a rail background are not seeing this as I do, but I'm looking at this as a wider transport issue, which can be different even though it might appear to conflict with current rail principles.
By all means look at it from a different point of view - it is of course your right and often it can make for an interesting debate. But it won't change the basic facts that it's extremely difficult to speed up journeys on the Wolverhampton to Shrewsbury line without also impacting on the lines that feed it - and that without speeding up journeys any line speed improvements are pointless.

tomuk

Established Member
Previous work done on it shows negligible saving to Wellington on a stopper. Its all on the other side. A 196 might get you a minute, 90 seconds at a real push. Electrification and 90mph still isnt going to do it in my opinion.
So if doing the proposed work, i.e. electrification and line speed increases doesn't allow you to change the services on the route why are Midland Connect coming up with a BCR of 3.6 and submitting a SOBC to DfT for the initial £15m tranche?

As regards Wellington would it be appropriate to remove the stops on the Fasts?

Or would some infrastructure works at Wellington sort it, the platform loops are ridiculously slow. Do you need the bay? Abolish the through lines? What about the Donnington Branch? The various run rounds getting in there seem to cause issues with trains being held at Alscott?

craigybagel

Established Member
So if doing the proposed work, i.e. electrification and line speed increases doesn't allow you to change the services on the route why are Midland Connect coming up with a BCR of 3.6 and submitting a SOBC to DfT for the initial £15m tranche?
It appears to be their figures are based on it only costing £140 million to get £500 million of benefits. I can't speak for the latter as I don't know how to quantify time savings to passengers and benefits to the environment - but electrifying the line, and getting speeds up to a sustained 90mph (which is apparently enough to knock 11 minutes off the journey time) for £140 million seems very optimistic.
As regards Wellington would it be appropriate to remove the stops on the Fasts?

Or would some infrastructure works at Wellington sort it, the platform loops are ridiculously slow. Do you need the bay? Abolish the through lines? What about the Donnington Branch? The various run rounds getting in there seem to cause issues with trains being held at Alscott?
Wellington is a very busy station - not quite as busy as Telford but it seems hard to justify skipping. I have often wondered about the through lines though - at the moment the speeds are 15mph on the up and 25mph on the down, but the real killer is the approach control signalling that these speeds require. I reckon you might gain a whole minute if they were dropped - but if it was that simple it begs the question as to why it hasn't been done.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.