• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Predictions for how new timetable will cope on May 20th and 21st

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Well, in an entirely predictable manner, my morning commute today from Piccadilly via Bolton has been completely shat on, with all but a couple of trains cancelled.

Then again, what’s new :lol:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Andyh82

Established Member
What’s funny is that the new GTR timetable is all over the National news, top story both yesterday and today on the BBC News.

The fact there are new timetables and major changes to Northern and TPE as well isn’t mentioned at all.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
What’s funny is that the new GTR timetable is all over the National news, top story both yesterday and today on the BBC News.

The fact there are new timetables and major changes to Northern and TPE as well isn’t mentioned at all.
If it doesn’t affect London, it doesn’t matter ;)

Agent_Squash

Established Member

Probably because Northern/TPE didn't make a complete mess of it - cancelling their brand new services...

stu99

Not doing well on the Tyne Valley line this morning. First train from Hexham to Newcastle is cancelled and the second one will be at least 10 minutes late.
1N53 0618 Saltburn to Carlisle was cancelled at Newcastle apparently due to a shortage of crew and so is the 1N58 0946 Carlisle to Newcastle

RichJF

Posted on another stub too, but it's a complete disaster on the Oxted line for TL this morning. Only about 3 services actually ran! Two early morning & the 0815 .The 0716 was started from Hurst Green as it was 34 minutes late going southbound.

Victoria services largely ok but very busy as a result!

Attachments

• tl 1.JPG
    tl 1.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 45

dk1

Veteran Member
Having a quick look at Farringdon this morning it doesn't look too bad & far from the doom & gloom the press & certain fb sites would have you believe. Ok there are a few cancellations & one train is delayed by 9mins but that is hardly a melt down. All in all it's a far better morning on Thameslink than I had expected.

skifans

Few problems between Chorley and Manchester Pic this morning:
Dds0YjeVwAAivsU.jpg

Sourced from: https://twitter.com/MartinThomasHar/status/998449353885876225

Failed Unit

Established Member
Having a quick look at Farringdon this morning it doesn't look too bad & far from the doom & gloom the press & certain fb sites would have you believe. Ok there are a few cancellations & one train is delayed by 9mins but that is hardly a melt down. All in all it's a far better morning on Thameslink than I had expected.
Great northern is a bigger disaster than normal this morning. Not many have made it to the core.

Kanrakuq

Err ... what. So far at 10:00 since the beginning of service a grand total of three Peterborough-Horsham trains have managed to make it into the core. Judging by how many Horsham-Peterboroughs are cancelled where I am, it might be even less going the other way.

And these cancelled trains aren't including the ones that were "cancelled in advance" i.e. not here for two weeks.

Warwick

Looks like one possible mistake at Redhill - 0828 arrival from Reading is booked into platform 1 to sit until 0842 when it goes to Gatwick.

Platform 0 is needed 0835 to 0845 for Gatwick / Reigate to London Victoria

Platform 2 is needed 0838 to 0839 for Horsham to Bedford.

Tonbridge arrival is due at 0831 and leaves at 0855.

Next Reading arrival needs platform 1 from 0846 to 0851.

Platform 0 needed southbound 0849 to 0859.

Upshot of this must be that the Reading to Redhill train (0828 arrival) needs to be held at signal T492 until the Tonbridge train (0831 arrival) has arrived so it is going to be at least five minutes late arriving every day, maybe more waiting for the Gatwick arrival (0834 arrival) as well.

Why not hold the 08.28 arrival from Reading at Reigate for four minutes? It's less frustrating for passengers to be held at a station than outside a station.

bramling

Veteran Member

You must have had even lower expectations than most of us!

I’d say massive numbers of cancellations, massive late running, and other recovery measures like starting/turning short - on a morning where not much else went wrong - a pretty major disaster. The passengers have a right to expect business as usual no matter how radical a timetable change, especially when there have been many years to plan for this and all the factors are firmly within the control of the railway industry.

Unacceptable, but then the arrogance exhibited by some people connected with GTR and the Thameslink Programme sums up the whole thing quite well really. We’ll see how long the chaos lasts, but given how vital a commuter route GN is, as well as carrying many key workers from the Home Counties into London, it won’t be politically acceptable to continue this mess for long.

So much for all the planning and modelling we were told about. No wonder certain people have been so defensive about it all...

Idon'tKnow

0720 from LTV towards Birmingham was actually 3 carriages as per the new timetable :frown: (People left on the platform after Chester Rd)

Warwick

Looks like one possible mistake at Redhill - 0828 arrival from Reading is booked into platform 1 to sit until 0842 when it goes to Gatwick.

Platform 0 is needed 0835 to 0845 for Gatwick / Reigate to London Victoria

Platform 2 is needed 0838 to 0839 for Horsham to Bedford.

Tonbridge arrival is due at 0831 and leaves at 0855.

Next Reading arrival needs platform 1 from 0846 to 0851.

Platform 0 needed southbound 0849 to 0859.

Upshot of this must be that the Reading to Redhill train (0828 arrival) needs to be held at signal T492 until the Tonbridge train (0831 arrival) has arrived so it is going to be at least five minutes late arriving every day, maybe more waiting for the Gatwick arrival (0834 arrival) as well.

Really excellent idea to make platform 2 into a bay. This might be a catalyst for someone to see sense and reconnect the London end to the rest of the world to at least let a standing train be shunted north out of the way- although given the lunacy that affects Network Rail the siding has probably been removed.

dk1

Veteran Member
Teething troubles then today. Well it will probably take a while longer to sort itself out. Such a huge logistical challenge not helped by the weekend chaos. Let's hope for daily improvements.

ag51ruk

Unlike many, today was bathed in glory for Virgin Trains.

Virgin also introduced a new 0710 from Crewe to Manchester today, which was very well used for its first day and should take some pressure off the following ATW service (which can be extremely busy).

dk1

Veteran Member
Virgin also introduced a new 0710 from Crewe to Manchester today, which was very well used for its first day and should take some pressure off the following ATW service (which can be extremely busy).

Excellent stuff & good to see them getting far more involved in the local commute too. Not all the doom & gloom some would have the nation believe today :D

Thebaz

Posted on another stub too, but it's a complete disaster on the Oxted line for TL this morning. Only about 3 services actually ran! Two early morning & the 0815 .The 0716 was started from Hurst Green as it was 34 minutes late going southbound.

Victoria services largely ok but very busy as a result!

Looks like I chose a good 3 weeks to "work from home" with my ankle in a cast!

LowLevel

Established Member
Looks like the clowns at NR/TPE/whoever are still playing silly buggers and terminating late running trains at Man Picc platform 13 vice the Airport rather than Oxford Road/Victoria/anywhere else.

If you cause a single minute overtime on the central Manchester stretch you get hauled over the coals but it seems to be acceptable to complete empty stock station duties at random 'to protect the service' on a long distance train full of luggage, a trolley etc while stopping the job for nearly 10 minutes for anyone else.

I've lost count of the number of times I've been held at Castlefield to let a late running 1Mxx in front which has then been cancelled into Piccadilly putting 15 minutes into my on time train which can easily translate into 30 minutes to an hour depending on other traffic elsewhere later in its 5.5 hour journey.

Now we have the other sets coming from the Ordsall Chord it's even worse. There needs to be a ban on late running TPEs being spun in the through platforms at Picc and messing everyone else's trains up.

bramling

Veteran Member
Was it greeted by a very welcoming team of platform staff?! Did they let it stop?

I have visions of Branson turning up for a photo shoot and being marched off the station by the door brigade. That is the sort of thing which would happen at Blackpool North, unless they’ve used the closure time for some people-skills training?!

Established Member
Looks like the clowns at NR/TPE/whoever are still playing silly buggers and terminating late running trains at Man Picc platform 13 vice the Airport rather than Oxford Road/Victoria/anywhere else.

If you cause a single minute overtime on the central Manchester stretch you get hauled over the coals but it seems to be acceptable to complete empty stock station duties at random 'to protect the service' on a long distance train full of luggage, a trolley etc while stopping the job for nearly 10 minutes for anyone else.

I've lost count of the number of times I've been held at Castlefield to let a late running 1Mxx in front which has then been cancelled into Piccadilly putting 15 minutes into my on time train which can easily translate into 30 minutes to an hour depending on other traffic elsewhere later in its 5.5 hour journey.

Now we have the other sets coming from the Ordsall Chord it's even worse. There needs to be a ban on late running TPEs being spun in the through platforms at Picc and messing everyone else's trains up.
I strongly agree. Nothing should be being spun on 13/14 at Piccadilly at all, ever. It's just too congested.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Tell I've had two days of using the new timetable.

Yesterday I and the usual minor delays.

Today I boarded the 7:17 from Haywards Heath. Was it a mistake on my part? In hindsight yes. I should have got the 7:26

A Gatwick Express had a door fault at Gatwick Airport and as it was the train in front we got stuck behind it.

Eventually after 14 minutes we were routed into platform 5. Not sure why we had to wait 14 minutes to be able to use platform 5. Nothing on real time trains suggests it was in use. That doesn't mean it wasn't in use of course. I assume it's bi-dircetional.

We got so far into it and then stopped. After a minute or so the driver pulled forward. We had been informed of that in advance. I imagine it's not a move done too often by them. That's fair enough. Less acceptable might be why it took so long to be allowed to use platform 5.

By now other trains had been able to overtake us. Noteably the 7:26 from Haywards Heath, which used platform 3 at Gatwick and even the 7:31, which goes to Cambridge and used platform 1.

Obviously the crossover to platforms 1-3 occurs much ealier. Interesting that the crossover to platform 5 doesn't.

Hiwever just because the Cambridge service overtook us into Gatwick Airport and left first, abet 6 minutes down in their timetable, doesn't mean they got to East Croydon first.

The 7:26 Haywards Heath service departed Gatwick Airpot on time got to East Croydon at about 8:02, just 5 minutes late.

The 7:31 however got to East Croydon 27 minutes late, desire leaving 2 minutes before my delayed train. Not sure which route they took or how they went from 6 minutes late to 27 minutes between Gatick Airport and East Croydon. Now I imagine that will stuff up the service north and back. Drivers will be out of place too. In fact stations between Finsbury Park and Cambridge have been cancelled.

At Gatwick itself, suddenly the door fault was fixed so we had to wait for the non stop Gatick Express to depart. We left 20 minutes late, having only been 2 minutes late at Three Bridges.

By the time we reached East Croydon we were now 24 minutes late.

Lots of other delays too although mostly 10 minutes or under so doesn't wouldn't warrant a general mention.

Actually I see there is reports of an issue between Gatwick Airport and Redhill. There was an earlier points failure at Redhill, which is why both have been linked together.

In the usual style National Rail Enquires live depature board for the service I'm on says it's been delayed due to a I'll door fault. No fault is on the train in front and not us.

Update:
Finally I got to Raynes Park where I had a choice of getting a bus or another train. Either required another ticket. Unfortunately when I looked up the bus to see how long it would take, it kept just giving a choice of which destination I wanted and then no timing info. So helpful.

I then tried Google Maps but due to the poor mobile data receiption, I'm with O2 so expect this, it wasn't loading. Of course there isn't any WiFi at Raynes Park.

So I opted for the bus as it is slightly closer to my destination. Abet if the traffic is bad, it would take longer. It has to be significantly longer though for me to do it.

Now stuck at a bus stop whilst we even out the service so not my day. At least it wasntw 10 miniutes with another bus on the same overtaking us. Yes that did happen to be last year, whilst a bus was waiting to regulate the service. Haha.

Last edited:

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member

An odd thing about my Chat Moss TPE train to Liverpool on Tuesday.
Running 20 late it got stuck behind the Crewe-Liverpool stopper at Rainhill.
I wondered if they would be clever and loop the Crewe at Huyton to let us past.
But in fact they looped the TPE on the slow, while the Crewe made its stops on the fast.
Saves a platform alteration I suppose, and the crossovers are quite fast.

I am also surprised how little use is made of Oxford Road P3 to loop/reverse trains.
It normally sees just the up Llandudno each hour.
Maybe it is getting more use this week!

ValleyLines142

Established Member

Used that ATW service a few times and it's usually full and standing from Crewe to Manchester.

Status
Not open for further replies.