• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Prettiest Stations in the UK

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bleeder4

Kyle of Lochalsh is very nice, with a picturesque view across the bay to the Isle of Skye.
Rather overcast when I was there in April unfortunately, but on a sunny Summer's day it must be wonderful.

Attachments

• 20230402_124340.jpg
    20230402_124340.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 87

urbophile

Established Member
Cressington on Merseyrail, surrounded by a private residential park, could be a film set for a Sherlock Holmes dramatisation. The best example of what Pevsner calls the 'cottage ornée' style on the Cheshire Lines route, of which there are several other attractive examples.

McRhu

Has it been restored as a museum or visitor attraction?
As far as I know it's a private house but can't get any really up to date information. Very few pictures of it when in use unfortunately.

RailWonderer

Established Member
All the obvious ones have been mentioned but I always liked the pretty but derelict rural ambience of Hellifield before it was cleaned up. Now it looks just great.

Parallel

Established Member
A few from me:

Llanaber for its views out to sea
Harlech for its castle views
Dovey Junction, again for its dramatic landscape

In terms of stations themselves being pretty, I think I’d nominate Stirling.

Growing up in the Dark Peak I'll give Chapel-en-le-Frith a mention. Still with its original buildings on the up side, semaphores in each direction and on a 1:58 gradient it has fine views of the area, including towards Kinder Scout. Also it has the blue pack remembering Driver John Axon who died in the horrendous crash in 1957.

vic-rijrode

It is a great shame but the trio of coastal stations on the Tyne and Wear Metro (i.e.Monkseaton, Whitley Bay and Tynemouth) would be candidates. But they all need significant investment to renovate them.

HST43257

Established Member
Apart from the weather, the fact you're facing north, the length of day, the food, .....
We’ll take what we can get in Britain! :lol:

As far as I’m concerned, a remote-ish beach location in sunshine = Mediterranean

Rescars

If we are being permitted to drift a little from the OP, Adlestrop may well still be famed for its bird song, but I doubt express trains stop there anymore!

fairysdad

London, Surrey... bit of a blur round here...
Bishopstone for the views, London Bridge at night with the Shard towering over.
I used to work in the building next to the Shard, and some of the winter evening views over the station were great. I thought I had one which had the Shard in it as well, but couldn't find it so you'll have to make do with this photo instead...

Attachments

• 20181204_161000.jpg
    20181204_161000.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 63
I've always thought in recent times Kents Bank and Cark on the Furness line are very well kept with flowerbeds etc. I've heard several foreign visitors on the train comment on how nice they are.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I've always thought in recent times Kents Bank and Cark on the Furness line are very well kept with flowerbeds etc. I've heard several foreign visitors on the train comment on how nice they are.

Grange Over Sands is rather nice as well. The setting adds to that impression.

We’ll take what we can get in Britain! :lol:

As far as I’m concerned, a remote-ish beach location in sunshine = Mediterranean

A bright winters day at Seascale ?

pompeyfan

Established Member
From a staff perspective rather than a passenger perspective, the view from the station control point office at Portsmouth Harbour has to be up there, seeing all the commercial and naval movements, as well as the occasional flypast.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Apart from the weather, the fact you're facing north, the length of day, the food, .....

Summer daylight hours in Cornwall are longer than in the majority of the Med.
Heaton Chapel is a pretty station due to its tiny gardens and sculptures.

matchmaker

Established Member
A few from me:

Llanaber for its views out to sea
Harlech for its castle views
Dovey Junction, again for its dramatic landscape

In terms of stations themselves being pretty, I think I’d nominate Stirling.
Stirling had the same architect as Wemyss Bay and Glasgow Central - James Miller. There as a rather nice book recently published with the history of Stirlings railways.

Book

Kemble is definitely up there, with it's building, footbridge, water tower and garden.

I'd also possibly consider throwing Chathill into the mix, although the scaffolding keeping up one of the buildings is less than scenic currently..

Also Knaresborough is a very nice station, and boasts excellent views of the Viaduct and the River Nidd.

Finally I'd say Entwistle, the station itself is a bit abandoned nothingness, but as soon as you leave the station you get get some beautiful views, especially around the reservoir and viaduct.

Howardh

Established Member
Kyle of Lochalsh- lovely views and a nice little station last time I went there. It was a while ago though as my train was a class 26....
Never been - well, not since my kidhood a long time ago - from what I've seen from photo's the station and immediate area is a bit, well, underwhelming! But, of course, the general area is stunning.

As for my choices, (1) not the station itself although it's interesting/fascinating in it's own right, but for the views across the Solent, Ryde Pierhead and (2) Arnside, although if it were 100m closer to the sea it would be spectacular, but pretty decent as it is!

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Summer daylight hours in Cornwall are longer than in the majority of the Med.
Fun fact, the Mediterranean has a coast on its Southern shore too...

I was surprised by how pleasant Hindley station was a couple of months ago when I changed trains there. Plenty of well tended gardens and features for such an unassuming location, with the disused section also adding some "echoes of the past" as the cherry on top. A bit of a "hidden gem", as they say.

urbophile

Established Member
If we are being permitted to drift a little from the OP, Adlestrop may well still be famed for its bird song, but I doubt express trains stop there anymore!
But hasn't the station sign been re-erected on the bus shelter?