• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Prices For Gala Weekends

Status
Not open for further replies.

NIMBUS

There's some interesting discrepancies in the price of tickets for some of the forthcoming galas - clearly not based on mileage!

For example, the Nene Valley Railway diesel gala this weekend is charging £22 for a day rover, for a line length of six miles.

In contrast, the Severn Valley Railway diesel gala is charging £18:50 for a day rover, for a line length of sixTEEN miles.

So, are the NVR overcharging for the facilities offered - or are the SVR undercharging? Personally, I think that it's a bit of both. I think that £22 is a bit steep for what the NVR offers, equally £18:50 is probably a bit low, given that the SVR was charging £16 for a day rover back in the mid-1990s.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

YorkshireBear

Established Member
i guess for galas it also depends on what they bring in guest wise as to the prices?

NIMBUS

i guess for galas it also depends on what they bring in guest wise as to the prices?

That's a fair comment - the NVR are only fielding a class 14 and a 31 from their own fleet (mind you, they haven't got much else left since Boden's 14s and the class 40 departed), everything else is being brought in from Barrow Hill or Butterley, whilst the SVR have got two 50s, a Western and the DTGs Warship from their resident fleet in traffic alongside four visiting locos (an NVR 14, D306 - formerly based on the NVR, the South Devon Railway's 25 and a Devon & Cornwall Railways 31).

Mvann

The Nene valley fare if £22 is the giftaid fare. The railway can then claim 25p in the pound back from the government and you get a £2 voucher to spend in the shop, bar or cafe as you are giving a donation worth 10% more than addmission price. Giftaid rules for admission by donation and benefits to donors can be a bit difficult to explain easily.

blackfive460

I thought about going to the NYMR, but for £20 entry, £5 parking and probably £25 petrol its too much at the moment.
So drive to Levisham and park for free...
(Can't do anything for you about the price of fuel, sorry!)

gazthomas

Established Member
Given only one diagram and no loco swaps at the Peterborough end.

That said I still went and I will be there today (I actually bought a two day ticket at a more reasonable £30).

I actually thought the price of food and drink at the NVR was a bigger problem. 90p for a can of pop as an example. Also, they would make a bit of cash if they had proper recycling facilities for cans, plastics and glass. My many cans and plastic glasses (it was mighty hot!) just got dumped in the normal refuse bins. Come on NVR!

Last edited:

12CSVT

Established Member
Bo'ness & Kinneil are charging £20 for a day rover this weekend. They are just over 4 miles long and using their home fleet

Tractionman

hi folks,

I was going to take my dad and his companion to the GCR gala this coming weekend, but at £22 for an all-day rover I'm having second thoughts.

Tis alright for me to splash out 22 squids for a few trips for mysel, but for two OAPs who just like a nice little ride behind a steamer and a cup of tea and cake, an extra forty notes is too much for us/them - so we may now not go at all - not least because it seems that even getting onto a platform to watch a few trains go by (and have a cup of tea) will cost us a fiver each - and it seems there are no short-trip tickets on sale, which would have been perfect for us. I am sure at diesel galas at the GCR short-trip tickets have been available, though this could be my memory playing tricks...

Don't get me wrong - I think many heritage lines charge the right amount for their events (£18-22) - I certainly don't mind paying this kind of cash for a full day of traction action, but it seems a shame that lines also don't offer those day-trippers who want a short ride that option too.

cheers,

Keith

E&W Lucas

Established Member
Prices also reflect the trade profile of the railway itself. For lines like the SVR & NYMR, who's cote business is the say in, day out general public market, galas are a way of making some bonus money out of what would otherwise be a quiet weekend. For outfits like the NVR, who have far fewer chances to generate income, but still face many of the same overheads, they are a vital revenue source. They have no choice but to try and make as much money as they can.

I fully support railways that charge for platform or site access at events. They are a magnet for the freeloaders with cameras. of course they should try and generate some revenue out of them.

Mvann

Unfortunately some of the said freeloaders don't go anywhere near the stations. At least those that do at wansford, ferry meadows, etc may buy food, drink, batteries, film, etc from the shop and cafe, which aren't platform side. Also some of the photo brigade will help out with photos for publicity and postcards.

AlexS

Established Member
As it stands unfortunately the cost of galas is such that the only thing you can really cater for is the all day market - with locos costing £8000 or so to transport plus coal etc, you won't make much money out of doing short journeys - therefore it's generally priced for daytrippers (it also makes sale of tickets much easier).

GCR at many galas does have an arrangement for short jouney tickets to become available after 1500 however - don't think that applies in this case though.

4SRKT

Established Member
I fully support railways that charge for platform or site access at events. They are a magnet for the freeloaders with cameras. of course they should try and generate some revenue out of them.

A little harsh. I go to galas when I can, as well as just going to preserved railways at other times. Will I be a 'freeloader' if I go and watch the action at the K&WVR steam gala this weekend, but don't pay anything to do so? I went to their diesel gala this year and have taken my sons on the line 3 times during 2011. The nature of a steam train in terms of size and noise is that it's a hard thing to keep hidden from people, 'freeloaders' or otherwise!

PUFFINGBILLY

I fully support railways that charge for platform or site access at events. They are a magnet for the freeloaders with cameras. of course they should try and generate some revenue out of them.[/QUOTE]

Hear hear.
Another form of freeloader I witnessed only last week-end, is a bleeding heart family with kid in buggy, turning up in the booking hall and begging to be allowed onto the platform so "my little child can JUST watch the trains".
I was delighted to very politely profer the information in a voice loud enough for all to hear, that the railway depends on funds to provide trains to watch, and that platform tickets were a mere £1.50 per adult, the child goes free. Guess what? They turned around and left, too darn mean to cought up £3.
It gets worse. On going off duty once and still in uniform a couple of oiks in the car park asked if I had any free tickets. As I was in uniform I kept my language clean but my remarks communicated the suggestion they depart promptly and henceforth.
Sorry but heritage railways do not need these people, just as we don't want PP's (Parasite Photographers).

E&W Lucas

Established Member
A little harsh. I go to galas when I can, as well as just going to preserved railways at other times. Will I be a 'freeloader' if I go and watch the action at the K&WVR steam gala this weekend, but don't pay anything to do so? I went to their diesel gala this year and have taken my sons on the line 3 times during 2011. The nature of a steam train in terms of size and noise is that it's a hard thing to keep hidden from people, 'freeloaders' or otherwise!

Do Tesco let you off without paying, as you've bought your shopping there the previous week?

Of course you are freeloading. On your previous visit, you've received the product that you have paid for, and which the railway has had to pay out to provide. Why should you get the gala entertainment for free, when it will be costing the KWVR a packet to stage it?

4SRKT

Established Member
Do Tesco let you off without paying, as you've bought your shopping there the previous week?

Of course you are freeloading. On your previous visit, you've received the product that you have paid for, and which the railway has had to pay out to provide. Why should you get the gala entertainment for free, when it will be costing the KWVR a packet to stage it?

A ridiculous analogy if I may say so. Every good bought at Tesco has a value. What is the value of a quick look at the KWVR in monetary terms? What if I am taking a walk in the countryside, and happen to choose to take that walk by Oxenhope station? Should I pay for the privelege? Thankfully the KWVR are more than aware that they are part of a community and goodwill has a value way beyond a monetaryone, and so much the better for that. Hopefully people with your attitude will not become a force there.

mawallace

I actually thought the price of food and drink at the NVR was a bigger problem. 90p for a can of pop as an example. Also, they would make a bit of cash if they had proper recycling facilities for cans, plastics and glass. My many cans and plastic glasses (it was mighty hot!) just got dumped in the normal refuse bins. Come on NVR!

Could not agree more! I went and bought a can of coke as I was hot from the cafe fridge. could not belive it was 90p, plus the mark up on other things as well! (And the coke was not that cool either!)

harz99

You could have been a freeloader travelling all day on the Friday; having bought our day rovers, we then travelled on four separate train and two bus journeys, entered and exited Haworth, Oxenhope and Keighley stations without once having our tickets checked.

Having said that, plenty of enjoyment for us and the photo buffs in hi viz vests that paid for the day. Also plenty of the "parasite" photographers as well.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
My father and i had a great time at the SVR steam gala the other weekend. The cost was very reasonable and we were happy to spend a few extra quid at the Engine Shed and the pub at Bridgnorth. No revenue equals no gala days.

Status
Not open for further replies.