• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Problematic passengers

What annoys you most?

• Listening to loud music

Votes: 12 28.6%
  • Eating smelly food / drink

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • window etching / graffiti

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • Being generally noisy

Votes: 6 14.3%
  • Feet on seats

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Drinking alcohol irresponsibly

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Random verbal abuse to passengers / staff

Votes: 17 40.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

P156KWJ

Established Member
'Tis a shame when fellow passengers on-board your train decide to make your journey less pleasureable or comfortable, and there seems to be many ways to do this. Whether it's etching in to the windows, listening to music loudly (with or without headphones, doesn't seem to matter these days), feet on seats, and so forth. So what annoys you the most?

I've put the most common ones, it'll be interesting to hear people's views on anti-social behaviour too :)

has to be loud music for me. Don't care if I like the music or not, I don't want to listen to it whilst travelling! However, if I and others can't hear it, I have no problems at all.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gizmogle

Established Member
I went with the abuse, as this can quite easily turn nasty.

But all of them annoy me, so, so much. Another one is bags on seats!

Pumbaa

Established Member
Another one is bags on seats!

Especially during Peak rush time, many people down here need to be frequently reminded that my arse along with many other peoples arses are in far greater need of a seat than their laptop or fake Gucci... :|

For me, loud music in particularly, or just general loudness. For me, quiet coaches have been a godsend :grin:

P156KWJ

Established Member
Gizmogle said:
I went with the abuse, as this can quite easily turn nasty.

But all of them annoy me, so, so much. Another one is bags on seats!
aah yes, forgot that one, I don't feel a prat asking people to move them to sit down, I sort of feel pleased that I've made a difference and they're less likely to do it again!

Gizmogle

Established Member
For me, loud music in particularly, or just general loudness. For me, quiet coaches have been a godsend :grin:

Oh, no no no. Quiet coaches drive me INSANE! They're never quiet. So I just get more and more wound up by the screaming children and loud music.

Gizmogle

Established Member
Screaming children in quiet zones that are taking up valuable seats when the train is crowded and they could be sat on their parents' knees!

djw1981

Established Member
If a ticket was purchased for them then they are entitled to a seat as much as you are.....

Gizmogle

Established Member
I think it's VWC that mention unecessary noise.

Either way, it's implied in the word "quiet"!!!

Bayum

Established Member
Hahaha, nothing really annoys me on a train. That's what I love so much - the different types of people you see, different problems that can be encountered - im not always interested in stock etc, just the people!!

Saturday for instance - Travelling on the New Street - Piccadilly service, drunken football fans got on the train. As well as being fit, drunk and rowdy - they were also entertaining - many of them falling up the voyager steps and singing on the train and talking to all the other passengers. Another was an old woman who couldn't get it in her head that there was enough room on her lap, under her table and above her head to fit her luggage, and sat for twenty minutes arguing with the train manager, before realising she should have been off the train 5 minutes ago at Wolverhampton!!
Another was a smoker onboard a XC HST service. His argument was that the train wasn't in a station, he was leaning outside the window, so he could smoke. When a passing HST blew the cigarette out of his hand, and nearly took his hand off he soon changed his mind!!

Go with the flow people!!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Abuse, Damage (including etching etc), and Smoking.

Other stuff can be irritating but the idea of bags on seats comparing with that lot just doesn't make sense to me.

I can detect people smoking at windows quite easily (my throat gets irritated if I smell cigarette smoke) and will challenge anyone seen doing that. 6 on Saturday.

P156KWJ

Established Member
I think it's VWC that mention unecessary noise.

Either way, it's implied in the word "quiet"!!!

EMT have them "please refrain from using mobile phones, or making any unnecessary noise" and this is re-enforced in each PA after leaving stations

Mintona

Established Member
"Please do not use mobile phones, personal CD equipment or karaoke machines whilst using the quiet coach"

me123

Established Member
Bags on the seat is a big annoyance for me as well; especially on the 156s where there are luggage racks <(. When there's not luggage racks, though, I have put my bag on the seat once :oops: although to be fair it was a near empty Coatbridge-Motherwell train.

Also, I can't stand those people who deliberately sit on the outside seat so that no-one can/will be able to use 'tother seat, and then causing people to stand when there is in fact plenty of room...

Aside from that, it's gotta be the loud music. I was on a KMK-GLC train on Saturday and a bunch of girls started listening to dance music. And yes, they were using an iPod dock or something :shock: By Kilmaurs, I had migrated to the next carriage.

Gizmogle

Established Member
Yeah, you get that alot on VWC. I always go sit in the quiet coach, and at first sight, it appears to be full. Then you look closer and everyone is sat with their bags on the other seats. So it's only half full, but it still causes alot of people to have to stand.

People that do this on full trains should be made to pay for their bag's seat.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Provided nobody else can hear your music, what is wrong with "personal stereo equipment?" In my opinion, unless you've got people to talk to (regular commuters or friends/family), when travelling on public transport a pair of headphones & some music are a must to drown out gobby passengers; music played from mobile phones or too loud headphones; irritating announcements and bleeping noises; and rattling panels on modern trains.

Beaker

Established Member
Yeah, you get that alot on VWC. I always go sit in the quiet coach, and at first sight, it appears to be full. Then you look closer and everyone is sat with their bags on the other seats. So it's only half full, but it still causes alot of people to have to stand.

People that do this on full trains should be made to pay for their bag's seat.

Just ask them if their bag has a ticket then move the bag.

P156KWJ

Established Member
Provided nobody else can hear your music, what is wrong with "personal stereo equipment?" In my opinion, unless you've got people to talk to (regular commuters or friends/family), when travelling on public transport a pair of headphones & some music are a must to drown out gobby passengers; music played from mobile phones or too loud headphones; irritating announcements and bleeping noises; and rattling panels on modern trains.

I have no problems as long as I can't hear it

Coradia

Oh, no no no. Quiet coaches drive me INSANE! They're never quiet.

Experienced the same, some old woman who was on a mobile phone i the quiet coach, and even said in her conversaton "Im in the quiet zone (looking at the stickers), so I shouldn't be using my phone" but the fact is you are so hang up! :x

Gizmogle

Established Member
I'm always too shy to tell people to move their s**t. :( When you walk through the coach, they all look away hoping that you aren't going to tell them to move. I hate it.
I just sit in the vestibule.

I'm sure a farepayers luggage has priority over a priv holder anyway.

I always listen to music in the quiet zone, but no one else can hear it. I always have it turned down very low. Infact, the volume on my iPod doesn't go quiet enough for my liking.

Status
Not open for further replies.