• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Progress of delivery of cascaded/refurbished/PRM modified stock to TFW/Wales and Borders

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SWML9102

While I was waiting for the 10.33pm Penarth train last night (which was late as usual), I'm sure I saw a 6 car pacer arrive at Central on route for Rhymney. But the last two cars appeared to be locked out.
6 car formations not unusual on late night services to Rhymney, but with 2 or 4 cars locked out, will stable there for services early next morning. As far as I'm aware no 6 car services have ever used the extended platforms in Rhymney or Treherbert services with all 6 in use. I stand to be corrected though.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
6 car formations not unusual on late night services to Rhymney, but with 2 or 4 cars locked out, will stable there for services early next morning. As far as I'm aware no 6 car services have ever used the extended platforms in Rhymney or Treherbert services with all 6 in use. I stand to be corrected though.

Just an odd occasion it has happened. Additional vehicles are commonplace on late trains to Rhymney and Treherbert if sets have to be balanced up for next morning.

Just an odd occasion it has happened. Additional vehicles are commonplace on late trains to Rhymney and Treherbert if sets have to be balanced up for next morning.

In the summer of ‘16 or ‘17 (I can’t remember) some ATW staff were on a work to rule order from their union (so no overtime) and some diagrams were cancelled as a result (with staff being off etc) and these were publicised in advance and there was definitely a Friday service that was a six car unit.

Six cars have been used once or twice on Saturday March days too.

But ASFIK never a regular scheduled service. Presumably the WG who spent all that money 10+ years ago forgot about the extra rolling stock needed

Brissle Girl

Established Member
In the summer of ‘16 or ‘17 (I can’t remember) some ATW staff were on a work to rule order from their union (so no overtime) and some diagrams were cancelled as a result (with staff being off etc) and these were publicised in advance and there was definitely a Friday service that was a six car unit.

Six cars have been used once or twice on Saturday March days too.

But ASFIK never a regular scheduled service. Presumably the WG who spent all that money 10+ years ago forgot about the extra rolling stock needed
The passing loop at Tir Phil has been an equally under-utilised investment.

Cardiff123

Established Member
The passing loop at Tir Phil has been an equally under-utilised investment.
Have any of the benefits of the CASR (Cardiff Area Signalling Renewal, completed in January 2017) investment been utilised on the Valleys yet? Platform 8 at Central and the extra platforms at Queen St are the only investments of that project that have been regularly utilised. We haven't seen any of the service frequency enhancements of the project yet.

But this is off topic now

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Have any of the benefits of the CASR (Cardiff Area Signalling Renewal, completed in January 2017) investment been utilised on the Valleys yet? Platform 8 at Central and the extra platforms at Queen St are the only investments of that project that have been regularly utilised. We haven't seen any of the service frequency enhancements of the project yet.

The project has provided more operating flexibility and reduction in delays

Brissle Girl

Established Member
It will find more use when service to Rhymney is increased
So around 8 years after it was installed and when there will probably have to be more infrastructure improvements north of Bargoed to facilitate 4tph.

Sion John

On Moderation
I wonder whether there would actually be sufficient crew to run entirely passenger triple Pacer sets...? I believe that three guards would be required (one for each unit) unless I'm getting that all wrong...?
I think too long f
I wonder whether there would actually be sufficient crew to run entirely passenger triple Pacer sets...? I believe that three guards would be required (one for each unit) unless I'm getting that all wrong...?
nah i think it was for next day and 6 car too long for the platforms thats why it was locked

anamyd

On Moderation
The TfW Rail train accessibility page has now had photos of some of the train types added to it, but only for the red and white/grey liveried unit and locomotive classes (153, 158, 170, 175 and 67). So, if someone wants to know what a 142, 143 or 150 looks like, they can't because TfW Rail don't seem to want to put photos of trains not in their livery (or similar livery to theirs in the case of the 170s). Obviously that's more important... (!)

Nick Ashwell

The TfW Rail train accessibility page has now had photos of some of the train types added to it, but only for the red and white/grey liveried unit and locomotive classes (153, 158, 170, 175 and 67). So, if someone wants to know what a 142, 143 or 150 looks like, they can't because TfW Rail don't seem to want to put photos of trains not in their livery (or similar livery to theirs in the case of the 170s). Obviously that's more important... (!)

Edit. Ignore, misread

tomos dafis

On the same page TFW have also now published a full list/timetable of services due to be regularly diagrammed for operation by non-compliant 142/143 units and mark 2/mark 3 sets. No inclusion of services operated by non-PRM modified 150's or 153's.

hobbm013

On the same page TFW have also now published a full list/timetable of services due to be regularly diagrammed for operation by non-compliant 142/143 units and mark 2/mark 3 sets. No inclusion of services operated by non-PRM modified 150's or 153's.

Because I guess it’s near enough impossible to list which diagrams are going to be operated by non compliant 150s when they end up spread across the whole network unless it gets updated on a daily basis

anamyd

On Moderation
That's something at least :)

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Just a mention re TFW Pacers as part of a farewell, 143601 + 142085 have made a very rare visit to Hereford today on 1007 Hereford to Fishguard Harbour , splitting at Carmarthen and visiting Fishguard and Pembroke Dock.

Both the new Sunday Conwy Valley and Llandudno shuttle are 153s

anamyd

On Moderation
Just a mention re TFW Pacers as part of a farewell, 143601 + 142085 have made a very rare visit to Hereford today on 1007 Hereford to Fishguard Harbour , splitting at Carmarthen and visiting Fishguard and Pembroke Dock.

Both the new Sunday Conwy Valley and Llandudno shuttle are 153s
Any photos of the Pacers in Hereford...?

anamyd

On Moderation
At a guess, there's more room to park them there than in Canton?
Ah yes!

Thanks to @507021 and his source, we now know that the units are 142012, 142079 and 142086.

Shrewsbury pass 1653
Cardiff Central pass 1906

I'd appreciate it if anyone could take photos / and or video as I'm not going to be around!

Last edited:

IamTrainsYT

Here are some pictures aswell

Attachments

• DED0B1C8-25A3-4B2A-BA80-C0EF954CD710.jpeg
    DED0B1C8-25A3-4B2A-BA80-C0EF954CD710.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 79
  • 427F1698-1CEB-4613-BCB4-E81B0B5E11FB.jpeg
    427F1698-1CEB-4613-BCB4-E81B0B5E11FB.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 52
  • CE1AA318-7D31-42BE-98FB-9093FF9FC735.jpeg
    CE1AA318-7D31-42BE-98FB-9093FF9FC735.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 60

IamTrainsYT

It would make sense if they were going to wales for use as I read something saying “The welsh government has denied the need for PRM compliant trains by 2020”

Cardiff123

Established Member
It would make sense if they were going to wales for use as I read something saying “The welsh government has denied the need for PRM compliant trains by 2020”

Explain and I’ll try and word it in a different way then

We know the 3 x 142s from Northern are not moving to TfW for use in passenger service, they are moving to South Wales as spare part donors
"The Welsh Govt has denied the need for PRM compliant trains by 2020?" Really? Why have TfW spent the last 15 months trying to get as much of their fleet PRM compliant as quickly as possible before 1/1/2020

IamTrainsYT

We know the 3 x 142s from Northern are not moving to TfW for use in passenger service, they are moving to South Wales as spare part donors
"The Welsh Govt has denied the need for PRM compliant trains by 2020?" Really? Why have TfW spent the last 15 months trying to get as much of their fleet PRM compliant as quickly as possible before 1/1/2020
How will they be going to TFW on “short term lease to help with the delayed 769 project” as part donors? And I have looked into the PRM and the welsh government have agreed to put it off for now so they can still run pacers while they wait for the delayed 769 project

Status
Not open for further replies.