• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Progress on Avanti West Coast's 805/807s Hitachi AT300 sets

AJDesiro

https://twitter.com/TrainsHb/status/1724445329724985455 found this tweet, it gives a very good insight into the interiors, and finer details such as labeling, reservation displays, and... most importantly... legroom. Interestingly, first class has a different design of table to the Pendolino's, omitting the plugs and USBs in favor of them being on the seats themselves, though still retaining wireless charging.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Skie

Same standard class seats in the refurbished pendilinos with hard backs and pencil thin arm rests that are too low down for anyone tall to actually rest their arms on comfortably. Yay.

Window alignment looks good though!

Last edited:

Established Member
Same standard seats with hard backs and pencil thin arm rests that are too low down for anyone tall to actually rest their arms on comfortably. Yay.

They are supposedly a different standard seat to the normal 80X family.

Arm rest wise, I’m 6ft 4 and find the arm rest perfectly fine for height, yes hard, but height ok.

Skie

They are supposedly a different standard seat to the normal 80X family.

Arm rest wise, I’m 6ft 4 and find the arm rest perfectly fine for height, yes hard, but height ok.
Sorry, should have said same standard class seats as the refurbished pendolinos.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Compared to the Pendolinos (both unrefurbished and refurbished) they just look so plain inside.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Same standard class seats in the refurbished pendilinos with hard backs and pencil thin arm rests that are too low down for anyone tall to actually rest their arms on comfortably. Yay.

I love those seats, best on the railway at the moment.

Compared to the Pendolinos (both unrefurbished and refurbished) they just look so plain inside.

Does look odd without a colour band over the reservation screens, unlike all other 80x. The LEDs look different too?

Energy

Established Member
I love those seats, best on the railway at the moment.
Indeed, standard class same as Pendolinos which are great. The first class looks like FISA Leans, will be interesting to compare to the class 745 first class which is generally regarded as fairly unimpressive though this will be a fitting product for post-HS2 standard premium to Birmingham.
Does look odd without a colour band over the reservation screens, unlike all other 80x. The LEDs look different too?
Agreed, the navy side panels should be wood effect with a navy band on the reservation screens instead to make it look a little less clinical.
https://twitter.com/TrainsHb/status/1724445329724985455 found this tweet, it gives a very good insight into the interiors, and finer details such as labeling, reservation displays, and... most importantly... legroom. Interestingly, first class has a different design of table to the Pendolino's, omitting the plugs and USBs in favor of them being on the seats themselves, though still retaining wireless charging.
Its ok, doors haven't been changed to opening the other way like on the 810s so seats 1&2 lack a window. PIS displays look LCD now.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Its ok, doors haven't been changed to opening the other way like on the 810s so seats 1&2 lack a window.

You can't open the doors the other way on 26m units as the ends are too tapered - the shorter EMR vehicles have flatter ends more like a CAF unit.

PIS displays look LCD now.

The display looks very similar to the other 80x but a bit updated. The thing that looks odd (almost missing?) is the red/yellow/green LED.

MCR247

Established Member
The display looks very similar to the other 80x but a bit updated. The thing that looks odd (almost missing?) is the red/yellow/green LED.
It looks like they may have gone for a single light that will show all three colours

superalbs

Established Member
It looks like they may have gone for a single light that will show all three colours
Same as on the others.

What are the buttons on the reservation screen panels?

I can't help but notice how incredibly dull and colourless these things look. Especially First Class, which looks particularly underwhelming and sad.

Established Member
I don’t think they are buttons. I think it’s the colour lights to indicate if part/fully reserved or available.

Established Member
Which are a different shape to other 80x, on other 80x they are rectangular and clear with a curve in one plane, these appear to be round and semi-opaque.
Correct, bare mind we are 7-8 years down the line from the originals 80X models, things have been spec’ed differently eg the external PIS displays are white text not orange, nothing to stop Avanti choosing a different light for the reservations (if that is what it is).

RailWonderer

Established Member
First class seats are the same the GA 745s have in first, but with a different moquette, softer it seems with a cloth rather than a leather headrest. Those refurb seats are rock hard, 2 and a half hours to the Lake District on one was not nice. I am definitely driving next time I go that distance if I have a long way to go from the station. The best standard class seat made today would have to be a bedded in FISA lean. The Pendolino still feels more quality given the better panelling. You can see the bolts and screwholes on the IETs.

dereksingh291

On Moderation
any idea when the avanti 805s and 807s will be entering service but also what company will the avanti 221s be going to when there replaced?

Established Member
According to another member, though we're yet to see that confirmed with source anywhere.
The source came from insider sources, however since that date given, it’s gone extremely quite on the whole subject.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
According to another member, though we're yet to see that confirmed with source anywhere.
Well, the reputedly was more due to delivery/training timescales, but we'll see.

The source came from insider sources, however since that date given, it’s gone extremely quite on the whole subject.
I think much as we'd all like to see one by then, I think we are all being realistic in expectations - given what has occurred with other fleets.

OscarH

Would it enter service with a single 805? I thought they would primarily run in pairs like the Voyagers

AJDesiro

Would it enter service with a single 805? I thought they would primarily run in pairs like the Voyagers
It'd be very foolish, and generally, units that are intended to run in pairs, enter service in pairs, just look at various introductions in the past, most recently the 730s.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Things are a bit different with the reduced Chester/North Wales service, but the full service was mostly single 221s.
There was doubling up in the peaks east of Chester/Crewe, and on one main daytime London-Holyhead service.
Single units stable at Holyhead overnight, and the Birmingham starter/ender is a single unit.

Established Member
Don't know. How many of LNER's five car units run singly ?
99% of the Lincoln, many of the Harrogate, the Skipton and Middlesbroughs.
Also on a Sunday a fair few Leeds services and the occasional Newcastle terminator.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
This is for the first service though, it doesn't look good in the eyes of the public if only one unit is available for service, causing overcrowding.

Some of the weekday daytime Euston-Birmingham services are very quiet (and indeed already operate as 5.221, 5.807 is considerably more capacious than that - 10m longer and much more efficiently laid out). Easy to slot it in on one of those.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
This is for the first service though, it doesn't look good in the eyes of the public if only one unit is available for service, causing overcrowding.

The diagram the first 805 is purported to be on is usally 2 x 221. It is only ever busy if the previous train is cancelled, and even then everyone gets a seat, easily.

A single 805 has 301 seats vs 492 for 2 x 221, and I think it would comfortably accommodate the number of punters that use the services on that diagram.

Nevertheless, for reliability reasons you would want them in pairs initially.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
The diagram the first 805 is purported to be on is usally 2 x 221. It is only ever busy if the previous train is cancelled, and even then everyone gets a seat, easily.

A single 805 has 301 seats vs 492 for 2 x 221, and I think it would comfortably accommodate the number of punters that use the services on that diagram.

Nevertheless, for reliability reasons you would want them in pairs initially.
Standard Hitachi offering ought to be bullet proof by now and given it has distributed traction even less reason.