• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Progress on Avanti West Coast's 805/807s Hitachi AT300 sets

Established Member
Just seen 4 805s on Oxley. 02 and 04 seen. Can I presume the other 2 (joined) were 01 and 03 on the basis no others are out!
TIA.
Yes, only 001-004 have been delivered to Oxley, the rest remain at Newton Aycliffe.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tasky

Yes, but with a different speed profile to the 390/221 tilters (south of Weaver Jn; 110mph limit north of there).
The details, and the signs to match on the route itself, have yet to appear.
125mph non-tilt will be over a more limited distance than EPS.
Supposedly, the current timetable applies to the new trains and already allows for their new speed profile.
Interesting – thank you, this makes a lot of sense

The Planner

Veteran Member
Yes, but with a different speed profile to the 390/221 tilters (south of Weaver Jn; 110mph limit north of there).
The details, and the signs to match on the route itself, have yet to appear.
125mph non-tilt will be over a more limited distance than EPS.
Supposedly, the current timetable applies to the new trains and already allows for their new speed profile.
Change more to very. Nothing supposed about timetable, it factors 800s in.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Only those within Hitachi, GBRF and Avanti would know that.
Best thing to do keep an eye on RTT for Merchant Park to Oxley moves.
From what was said when the 805/7 order was placed, about half of the bodyshells would come from Kasado, and half from Newton Aycliffe.
It's obviously quite a complex build programme, with Newton Aycliffe extending its local capability.

Welshguy1048

Afternoon

Looks like the 805's are on testing runs along the North Wales Coast from Rhyl to Chester overnight on Monday night.

Probably will be 805 001 anf 805 003 again.

Dave

stan claire

Will 805s or 807s be on north WCML paths to the likes of Scotland? It'll be unsurprising if they can't go north of Carlisle with how many curves it has, but I don't see Carlisle being a problem. 1M20 is a voyager path until December but from then it's pathed as a 390, I'm hoping they still have voyager paths north of Crewe after December as the seats on 221s I definitely prefer over a 390
I also wonder what announcements the Avanti IETs have, I could imagine and definitely pray for it being Justine Harris with the bi-lingual announcements like the voyagers (hopefully they'll eventually do the same for the pendolinos eventually without the Welsh announcements)

Established Member
Will 805s or 807s be on north WCML paths to the likes of Scotland? It'll be unsurprising if they can't go north of Carlisle with how many curves it has, but I don't see Carlisle being a problem. 1M20 is a voyager path until December but from then it's pathed as a 390, I'm hoping they still have voyager paths north of Crewe after December as the seats on 221s I definitely prefer over a 390
I also wonder what announcements the Avanti IETs have, I could imagine and definitely pray for it being Justine Harris with the bi-lingual announcements like the voyagers (hopefully they'll eventually do the same for the pendolinos eventually without the Welsh announcements)
They are not planned to go north of Preston.

AJDesiro

Avanti retweeted something a few months ago about announcements from somebody called Tanya Rich, though it was tweeted prematurely (they ended up deleting them, though there was a sample of some of the new announcements). So it’s highly unlikely that the Justine Harris announcements will appear on the 80X, I’d imagine the plan is to use these new Tanya Rich announcements on the pendolinos and the 80X.

OscarH

I thought the Edinburgh via Birmingham runs, currently operated by Voyagers,, were to be 807 operated?
I think the confusion here might be that (as I understand it) currently the Edinburgh via Brum service is a Euston to New Street semi-fast path, which waits at New Street, then follows the latter part of the Euston to Edinburgh path (the first half of which is currently unused).

When the 807s arrive, an 807 will run the Euston to Brum semifast in that path, and a pendo will run the Edinburgh in its intended path the whole way (non-stop to Coventry if I recall right)

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I thought the Edinburgh via Birmingham runs, currently operated by Voyagers,, were to be 807 operated?
Electrically operated, yes, but by 390s rather than 80x.
80x will operate some services further south to compensate, freeing up 390s for the Brum/Scotland runs.
80x will not normally go north of Preston/Blackpool.

craigybagel

Established Member
The driver route and traction cards thread shows that Edinburgh drivers don't know 221s, but the guard route and traction cards thread shows Edinburgh guards can do 221s.
I updated the drivers list recently after being informed Polmadie & Edinburgh depots had both lost competency on 221s (and the diversionary routes to Carlisle via Kilmarnock and the Edinburgh Suburban line that require diesel traction). The one trip a day North of Preston currently booked for 221s is worked by Preston depot.

I suspect the same may well be true for guards as well but I don't know if that list is being updated at present.

Established Member
805005 is currently in the process of being wrapped in Avanti livery at Hitachi Newton Aycliffe, one side is currently complete, and the unit was briefly shunted outside today into a different road for the other side to be completed.

AJDesiro

805005 is currently in the process of being wrapped in Avanti livery at Hitachi Newton Aycliffe, one side is currently complete, and the unit was briefly shunted outside today into a different road for the other side to be completed.
Exciting, hopefully it'll be heading over to Oxley soon!

Having had a better look of an 805 at Euston, I decided to get some further references to improve upon my seating plan originally posted at https://www.railforums.co.uk/thread...5-807s-hitachi-at300-sets.214752/post-6352825
I've managed to gain reference images for luggage rack locations, more accurate standard-class seating configurations, and first-class configurations. The difference I'm most interested in is the single seats in coach A, which, by the way, has the same capacity as coach A on a 390, it seems coach A still retains a sort of 'quirk,' a bit like the airline-style seats with the proper tables on the 390s in coach A.

Overall standard class seating capacity is around 260, which is 18 more than specified in the franchise documents in 2019, though I can attest that this seating plan is very accurate, with the number of bays being the same as those on 805003, and 95% certainty on the airline seating configuration. Overall first class seating capacity looks to be around 24, which is the same as in the figure specified in the franchise documents in 2019.

Attachments

• 1693955563803.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 160
Last edited:

RealTrains07

Established Member
Hopefully all the doors will be vinyled rather than some being left in virgin grey, looks awful against the avanti livery on the 390s

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
ROCK RAIL WEST COAST PLC have registered a charge against 805002 which is an indicator they've accepted the unit from Hitachi. Also i would surmise that after sister company Rock Rail South Western started charging the the 701's before they were acceptable to SWR they have been smart enough to ensure AWC will accept it so they can start getting the lease income.

Established Member
ROCK RAIL WEST COAST PLC have registered a charge against 805002 which is an indicator they've accepted the unit from Hitachi. Also i would surmise that after sister company Rock Rail South Western started charging the the 701's before they were acceptable to SWR they have been smart enough to ensure AWC will accept it so they can start getting the lease income.
They accepted the unit several weeks ago, 3 maybe 4 weeks ago.