• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Progression towards Train Driving as a Career Path

Status
Not open for further replies.

Class2ldn

Was a truck driver before the railway, ambulance technician before that, coach driver for nx and a bus driver before that. Always driving stuff lol

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SkinnyDave

Established Member
Indeed! Straight out of school and straight in to silly season! Nothing like getting thrown in at the deep end ey!! ;)

Ditto...
Due to pass out September but not getting put in link until December which may give me a chance to go out with DI or manager when it's bad

TDK

Established Member
Ditto...
Due to pass out September but not getting put in link until December which may give me a chance to go out with DI or manager when it's bad

I would stall it as long as I could by taking my annual leave, leaf fall is not for the feint hearted or for new drivers to be honest. You cannot predict all the time when it is going to be bad. I had a lovely slide from 90mph just the other day but braked the train early as it was raining - good job I did to be fair.

Last edited:

SkinnyDave

Established Member
Not got a choice TDK it's in diary :o

I have had some "fun" recently on class 158s after showers on an otherwise stunning day coming down from 90mph

I do have a week off in Autumn but manager has said they will come out with me during the season

Last edited:

TDK

Established Member
Not got a choice TDK it's in diary :o

I have had some "fun" on class 158s after a showers on an otherwise stunning day

In leaf fall it is the seat of your pants and it's not fun :) Get in the habit of checking weather forecasts, wind and rain spells danger

SkinnyDave

Established Member
In leaf fall it is the seat of your pants and it's not fun :) Get in the habit of checking weather forecasts, wind and rain spells danger

Hence the " around the word fun lol

It doesn't half shudder when WSP is doing it's thing

TDK

Established Member
Hence the " around the word fun lol

It doesn't half shudder when WSP is doing it's thing

The worst sound is silence and a slight crackle as the wheels lock and start sparking, speedo to zero and oh **** factor, then afterwards you get the bang, bang, bang of the flats when you get going again :)

455driver

Veteran Member
The worst sound is silence and a slight crackle as the wheels lock and start sparking, speedo to zero and oh **** factor, then afterwards you get the bang, bang, bang of the flats when you get going again :)

Despite it being against the driving policy I always release and (when the speedo jumps up) re-apply the brake and hope the WSP cuts in, I have had an 8 coach 455 in an all wheel slide (for a few seconds), that was 'fun' and
I still ended up in emergency (in line with policy) and coming up in a heap when the main res had dropped off! :lol:

SkinnyDave

Established Member
Soon to be an ex455 driver?????

Are you gracing a TOC in the Greater West with your presence?? ;)

Aivilo

Funny as cadence braking used to be taught. Regardless of all the gadgets and gizmos I'd still say what 455 driver does would work

W230

Established Member
Funny as cadence braking used to be taught. Regardless of all the gadgets and gizmos I'd still say what 455 driver does would work
Likewise though at my TOC they've been very clear they don't want us doing it. Found last year if it locks in step 2 it'll normally be ok in step 1 so as long as I've braked early enough then it's manageable. Timetable ends up going out of the window anyway when it's really bad.

But then again only had one leaf fall season and I guess some are worse than others... :lol:

Aivilo

From what I hear because of policy's it's easier and safer to stick it in an if all else fails then emergency atleast that way the download will show you don't what the TOC requires

455driver

Veteran Member
Soon to be an ex455 driver?????

Are you gracing a TOC in the Greater West with your presence?? ;)

No comment, but I have got my pasty order in! :lol:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

It does, the WSP works the same way as the ABS does on a car, by comparing the rotational speeds of the wheels and any wheel (or axle on a train) which is rotating slower than the others will have the air pressure released until it is spinning at the same rate as the other wheels/axles. Unfortunately if all wheels/axles lock up then the WSP/ABS will assume that the train is stopped and so wont do anything, the result is no braking, no control and once the brakes are released the wheels will make that familiar thud thud thud we all know and love so well! :lol:
If that happens on a car (ABS or not) we are taught to release the brakes and reapply them (if no ABS then you do this very quickly several times, cadence braking as Aivilo has stated above) so I do the same with the train as I would do in an ABS equipped car and give the WSP a second chance by releasing and reapplying the brake which is normally enough to get the WSP to work effectively. If all the wheels are locked and you put more braking in then you will just grind flats on the wheels and not slow down which is not good.

I have had several downloads where I have used this action and have never been pulled for it so they must be happy with it despite it being against policy.

Established Member
Anyone have experience with WSP that is not functioning correctly, such as activating when there is no rain/drizzle, leaf fall or contamination on the railhead?

TDK

Established Member
No comment, but I have got my pasty order in! :lol:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

I have had several downloads where I have used this action and have never been pulled for it so they must be happy with it despite it being against policy.

Until you have an over run or SPAD then the book will be thrown at you

455driver

Veteran Member
Until you have an over run or SPAD then the book will be thrown at you

I have had one stop short in emergency where I did my normal release and re-apply but it still wasnt having any of it so back onto policy so into step 3, still nothing then into emergency, two two the guard etc, sit back and fold my arms and wait to see what happened when we arrived at the station, then a coupie of hundred yards the red, and fifty yards after that the level crossing. The train ran out of air before that and it pulled up in a heap two coaches short of the far end of the station.
Nothing was said about my release and re-apply so I questioned it and he replied that it was the right thing to do and they are looking to change the policy so we can have one go at re-applying the brake but several years later nothing has happened about it yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.