• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Proof reading for a 'Guide to Fares & Ticketing' (formerly 'Fares FAQ') required

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
We're looking for volunteers to do some proof reading (preferably people who are employed in the rail industry and are knowledgeable about fares, ticketing & routeing) for a document that will be a guide to fares, ticketing & routeing (working title at present: Fares FAQ).

There will be 10 sections:

• Routeing
  • Smart Cards (including Oyster)
  • Ticket types & conditions
  • Excesses, upgrades & Supplements
  • Multi journey tickets
  • Discounted fares
  • Integrated fares
  • Legal
  • Transactions & compensation
  • Disputes
It's not complete yet, but most sections should have the first draft complete within the next couple of weeks.

If you are interested, please reply here (or send me a PM). If you're only interested in specific section(s) please state which one(s).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

soil

Established Member
Are you writing this yourself, or with others?

Have you proof-read your OP? :lol: It is not clear whether you want:

people employed in the rail industry, who are knowledgeable about fares, ticketing & routeing

or
people employed in the rail industry and
people who are knowledgeable about fares, ticketing and routeing

or maybe just

people knowledgeable about fares, ticketing and routeing, whether employed in the rail industry or not.

Bayum

Established Member
I can proof-read for grammar, spelling and punctuation if you'd like?

The teacher in me wants to anyway... It'll be an education on both sides.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
preferably people who are employed in the rail industry and are knowledgeable about fares, ticketing & routeing :)

Hope that clarifies!

And no, it's certainly not just me writing it!

Bayum

Established Member
preferably people who are employed in the rail industry and are knowledgeable about fares, ticketing & routeing :)

Hope that clarifies!

And no, it's certainly not just me writing it!

Yorkie, it still implies that you would prefer to have proof readers who work on the railway.

I don't know if that is your intention, but it doesn't differentiate between working on, or being knowledgable about fares. Do you want people who are knowledgeable about fares? Or just railway workers who are knowledgeable about fares?

Monty

Established Member
I'd be more than happy to do some proof reading for you Yorkie, especially the Legal and Penalty Fares & Prosecutions sections. :)

MetroDriver

Yorkie, it still implies that you would prefer to have proof readers who work on the railway.

I don't know if that is your intention, but it doesn't differentiate between working on, or being knowledgable about fares. Do you want people who are knowledgeable about fares? Or just railway workers who are knowledgeable about fares?

It seems absolutely clear to me Bayum, that the preference is for working within the industry and having the knowledge... :roll:

lyndhurst25

Established Member
Who is this Frequently Asked Questions aimed at? Railway staff, enthusiasts or the general public?

If it's the general public then I'd be careful in just using people from inside the railway industry to proof read. The problem being that they'll often allow the use of jargon because of their familiarity with it. It just doesn't stand out to them as being potentially unintelligible to the man on the street. For example "you can excess your fare" may be understood by rail workers and fares geeks, but to members of the public would better be written as "you can pay the difference".

cuccir

Established Member
lyndhurst25:1205020 said:
Who is this Frequently Asked Questions aimed at? Railway staff, enthusiasts or the general public?

If it's the general public then I'd be careful in just using people from inside the railway industry to proof read. The problem being that they'll often allow the use of jargon because of their familiarity with it. It just doesn't stand out to them as being potentially unintelligible to the man on the street. For example "you can excess your fare" may be understood by rail workers and fares geeks, but to members of the public would better be written as "you can pay the difference".

Yes, but that would imply that the best bet would be to ask somewhere other than here - perhaps the MSE forums? Of course they may have already thought of thIs!

Last edited:

Yew

Established Member
I'm happy to proof read stuff, can't say I will be much help, but I suppose I might be able to pick out any paragraphs that could be confusing to someone just getting into fares.

trc666

I would also be more than happy to assist with this, especially in regard to ticket types, Oyster and Penalty Fares / Prosecutions.

michael769

Established Member
I'd be happy to give things a once over, from a "can someone who knows only a little about ticketing follow this?" point of view ;) and I'd be happy to give the legal and prosecutions bit the once over too.

RJ

Established Member

I don't think it's a bad idea. There are some people on here who are very knowledgeable indeed, but have no idea on how to communicate appropriately with anyone but those who have a similar level of knowledge. I certainly think amongst some that there is an element of being wanting to be seen to know the most/everything, rather than assessing the needs of the person seeking assistance and posting an appropriate response. This is the kind of thing that probably puts people off asking for help.

For example, recently, someone simply asked if they could travel from A-B via C. In response, someone gave a full and unabridged rundown of how to use the NRG to find the answer. Understandably, the person was confused. All that was required was a quick "no" and a brief explanation why, which makes sense. It's not uncommon to see this kind of thing happen on here. People shouldn't have to feel like they need to possess a huge amount of knowledge before asking a simple question. So why do some people's replies make this the case? I'm certain that the FTR section is not trying to be exclusive or cliquey so perhaps this sort of thing should be reined in?

Many railway staff have first hand customer service experience so are well placed to understand how to communicate with a variety of customers, whether they be knowledgeable or travelling on the railway for the first time. lyndhurst25 made a good point about the use of jargon. In my time, not one person who wanted an excess asked for an "excess." They'd ask for an upgrade, an extension or just to change the ticket. It's fair to say that very few people actually know what an excess fare is.

The combination of input from knowledgeable people and good customer service perspective from those with experience I feel would be great for a fares FAQ. Some people have both skills, some have more than one than the other. Although that said, I hope that veritable and publicly accessible sources are being used to compile the information, i.e not The Manual!

Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
This is close to completion, and is due for launch on Monday 7 January 2013.

If anyone has some time in the next week to do some proof reading before we launch, please either send me a PM or reply to this thread, thanks :)

cjp

This is close to completion, and is due for launch on Monday 7 January 2013.

If anyone has some time in the next week to do some proof reading before we launch, please either send me a PM or reply to this thread, thanks :)

Should you feel you need a view from "The Man On The Clapham Omnibus" on your guide I have some time - but I am not offering as a pundit on these matters.

THE MAN makes his appearance in the decision of Lord Justice Greer in the 1932 case of Hall vs Brooklands Auto-Racing Club.

I would like to think it will be excellent and informative but fear it might be a widely read as the National Conditions Of Carriage rather than appeal to and be read by us on the Omnibus as light reading.:cry:

But of course I could be wrong and it is an illustrated guide it could be a best seller :D....

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
I would like to think it will be excellent and informative but fear it might be a widely read as the National Conditions Of Carriage rather than appeal to and be read by us on the Omnibus as light reading.
I must say that the general tenor of the work has been well established for some months now, and so, if it is not to the taste of the good passengers of Clapham, then I guess tha now is not the time to re-configure its intended audience. The previous title of a "Fares F.A.Q." probably establishes its technical rather than chatty style. Sorry.

However, some of us also contributed to an earlier work, subsequently abandoned, with more accessible "Beginner's Guide to Ticketing" and if your fear is borne out following publication, then we could always re-visit that work.
But in the meantime, I suggest that we all reserve our judgement until we have the opportunity to read it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.