• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Proposed new SWT services for Yeovil, including Pen Mill via Westbury/Frome

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
I think it depends on how Westbury/Frome/Cary are priced. If it is to Paddington, then these services do not scoop the current revenue up. But if it is to "London" then they can collect a proportion of it, even if they end up running as empty stock.

It also puzzles me why so much is made of these services being "run anyway for route retention reasons". How often do SWT ever get diverted via Westbury, and certainly not by Frome (surely if diverted they would use the avoider). But anyway, for driver knowledge route retention you surely don't need to run a whole 3-car dmu, do you? The crew could just ride along in the cab of existing services.

Some of the moves via Westbury also avoid single line conflicts between Salisbury and Sherborne.

I notice that South West Trains have 'warmed up' some of the empty workings into Reading as well.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D1009

Established Member
SWT get diverted via Westbury a good few times a year. It will be comparable with GW being diverted via Honiton, I think.

GW fairly regularly go via Honiton with 1C99 & 1A40 (Sleepers).
Other than the sleepers, I don't think there has been any diversions of GWR services via Honiton for engineering work for quite some time. The only recent occasions I can think of are because of flooding, mainly between Tiverton Parkway and Exeter. SWT going via Westbury has been more frequent.

jimm

Established Member
Other than the sleepers, I don't think there has been any diversions of GWR services via Honiton for engineering work for quite some time. The only recent occasions I can think of are because of flooding, mainly between Tiverton Parkway and Exeter. SWT going via Westbury has been more frequent.

Depends how you define quite some time. There were scheduled HST diversions every Sunday in February last year because of engineering work on the route via Taunton.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
There's a whole load of alterations to the original "Yeovil Jn & Pen Mill" plans in a new track access application that has just appeared. Both additions and deletions with respect to the former service pattern, it's quite difficult to get a handle on what will happen in May now, even with earlier TAA open as well...

HY03; 1 new Summer Saturday service from Weymouth to Yeovil Junction, 2 new Summer Saturday services from Yeovil Junction to Yeovil Pen Mill, 2 new Summer Saturday services from Yeovil Pen Mill to Yeovil Junction, 1 new Summer Saturday service from Yeovil Junction to Weymouth and 1 new SX Off-Peak from Waterloo to Yeovil Junction. 1 new SX peak service from Yeovil Pen Mill to London Waterloo, 1 SX peak service cancelled from Yeovil Junction to London Waterloo, 1 Summer Saturday service cancelled from Weymouth to Salisbury, 1 Summer Saturday service cancelled from Salisbury to Weymouth, 1 SX off-peak service cancelled from Waterloo to Yeovil Pen Mill and 1 SX off-peak service cancelled from Yeovil Pen Mill to Yeovil Junction.

http://www.networkrail.co.uk/browse... 22 - closes 20 april 2016/64th sa form p.pdf

jamesr

Appendix 1 in the link seems to suggest that a unit will run from Weymouth at 1210 to Yeovil Junction, then shuttle to Pen Mill a couple of times, before forming a return working to Weymouth, rather than running Weymouth to Salisbury and back.

I think this is probably filling time between a Waterloo - Weymouth morning run (via Yeovil) and return in the evening, timed for beach goers. That line has been full to capacity for years on (sunny) summer Saturdays, looking forward to seeing whether this goes some way to addressing the issue.

Taunton

Established Member
I think this is probably filling time between a Waterloo - Weymouth morning run (via Yeovil) and return in the evening, timed for beach goers. That line has been full to capacity for years on (sunny) summer Saturdays, looking forward to seeing whether this goes some way to addressing the issue.
I wouldn't say the "line" has been full to capacity at all, what has been full is the minimalist formations put out on the service. A generation ago 6-car multiple units, and hauled trains even longer, were standard. Nowadays formations are a fraction of that.

D1009

Established Member
I wouldn't say the "line" has been full to capacity at all, what has been full is the minimalist formations put out on the service. A generation ago 6-car multiple units, and hauled trains even longer, were standard. Nowadays formations are a fraction of that.
No, if the line was full to capacity the additional SWT services wouldn't be able to run. To be fair GWR do strengthen their trains in the summer, and for the last couple of years an HST has gone down there on Saturdays.

Parallel

Established Member
No, if the line was full to capacity the additional SWT services wouldn't be able to run. To be fair GWR do strengthen their trains in the summer, and for the last couple of years an HST has gone down there on Saturdays.

Indeed - The local west units work up to five carriages in high summer to/from Weymouth. Even some of these trains can be full and standing, especially during the summer holidays! I believe five is the limit due to issues with platform lengths at various stations between Weymouth and Bristol Temple Meads where local door isn't suitable. It's always fun when they've stuck a 150/1 slap bang in the middle of a 153 and a 150/2 and people can't hear/didn't listen to the carriage they need to alight from at local door stations!

I used the HST a few times last summer to Weymouth. It was lightly loaded most of the time. I think the service half an hour before scoops up most of the passengers unfortunately. That said, when the line was closed between Bath and Bradford Junction last summer, the HST IIRC ran from Bristol to Swindon, then to Trowbridge and onwards to Weymouth. Was very busy by Frome!

70014IronDuke

Established Member
Appendix 1 in the link seems to suggest that a unit will run from Weymouth at 1210 to Yeovil Junction, then shuttle to Pen Mill a couple of times, before forming a return working to Weymouth, rather than running Weymouth to Salisbury and back.

Indeed - the service can be seen at the end of he new SWT timetable.
http://www.southwesttrains.co.uk/uploads/1605ptt20.pdf

The mid-day shuttles between Pen Mill and Jcn are advertised as connecting with GWR trains too.

I think this is yet another example of real entrepreneurial effort by SWT to exploit possibilities previously ignored.

I realise this is, for now, only a summer Saturday service for about 18 weeks or so in the year, but wonder, could it possibly be a precursor to more regular connecting services between the Weymouth line and the LSW main line via Yeovil Jcn and Pen Mill - if, that is, stock were to become available? A big if, I suppose.

Kite159

Veteran Member
On those shuttles where it is due to call at the intermediate stations (Weymouth to Yeovil in the morning, Yeovil to Weymouth in the afternoon) would that be the first time SWT has dealt with request stops?

(I noticed in the new timetable, the Sunday evening Salisbury Expresses will call at Andover come May)

*makes a plan to visit Weymouth on the 2nd bank holiday in May*

70014IronDuke

Established Member
Have their been any reports as to how the Summer Saturday service has worked out?

On at least two occasions I have looked, the afternoon Yeovil PM to Weymouth SWT service has been cancelled - due to crew issues, according to RTT.

Naturally, the 16.55 ex Weymouth was also then cancelled on those days. It started only at Yeovil PM. Such a move must have left anyone hoping to travel from, say Weymouth to Teplecombe in a pretty pickle.

Last edited:

Parallel

Established Member
On those shuttles where it is due to call at the intermediate stations (Weymouth to Yeovil in the morning, Yeovil to Weymouth in the afternoon) would that be the first time SWT has dealt with request stops?

I used the early afternoon SWT Weymouth - Yeovil Junction service a few weeks ago. Thornford, Yetminster and Chetnole were mandatory stops!

Have their been any reports as to how the Summer Saturday service has worked out?

On at least two occasions I have looked, the afternoon Yeovil PM to Weymouth SWT service has been cancelled - due to crew issues, according to RTT.

Naturally, the 16.55 ex Weymouth was also then cancelled on those days. It warted only at Yeovil PM. Such a move must have left anyone hoping to travel from, say Weymouth to Teplecombe in a pretty pickle.

Oh dear. Not helpful - Especially as SWT currently have discounted SWT only tickets for the route between Weymouth and Salisbury via. Yeovil...

70014IronDuke

Established Member
I used the early afternoon SWT Weymouth - Yeovil Junction service a few weeks ago. Thornford, Yetminster and Chetnole were mandatory stops!

How were the loadings? Did anyone stop on the train to Yeovil Jcn, apart from yourself?

Oh dear. Not helpful - Especially as SWT currently have discounted SWT only tickets for the route between Weymouth and Salisbury via. Yeovil...

ie the SWT tickets would not be accepted on the following GWR service to Pen Mill? That would be the HST set - which would probably have the space to accommodate the SWT passengers, perhaps?
(Of course, they would then have to wend their way to Jcn using the bus, I presume. Not an easy option with two-three kids in tow munching Weymouth rock :) )

TEW

Established Member
I was at Weymouth one Saturday when the 1655 to London Waterloo was cancelled. 2 double decker buses were provided instead and left pretty much full.

embers25

Established Member
When did the weekday Waterloo to Weymouth via Castle Cary and Yeovil Junction start running. It must be the first train to call at Yeovil Pen Mill twice in one trip! Interstingly it comes back straight away at 1156 so whilst they sell £10 tickets on it from Salisbury you can't use it for day return!

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
When did the weekday Waterloo to Weymouth via Castle Cary and Yeovil Junction start running. It must be the first train to call at Yeovil Pen Mill twice in one trip! Interstingly it comes back straight away at 1156 so whilst they sell £10 tickets on it from Salisbury you can't use it for day return!

May Timetable

berneyarms

Established Member
May Timetable

Not the ones on Monday to Friday!

These are only recent.

The 07:50 Waterloo to Salisbury has been extended to Weymouth via Westbury Yeovil Pen Mill, Yeovil Jctn (takes a connection off the 08:20 from Waterloo and 09:25 from Exeter), Yeovil Pen Mill (again), arriving at Weymouth at 11:34.

It departs Weymouth at 11:56 for Waterloo via Yeovil Pen Mill and Yeovil Junction, departing there at 12:52 via Gillingham and taking up the path of the 13:47 from Salisbury to Waterloo.

Last edited:

70014IronDuke

Established Member
Not the ones on Monday to Friday!

These are only recent.

The 07:50 Waterloo to Salisbury has been extended to Weymouth via Westbury Yeovil Pen Mill, Yeovil Jctn (takes a connection off the 08:20 from Waterloo and 09:25 from Exeter), Yeovil Pen Mill (again), arriving at Weymouth at 11:34.

It departs Weymouth at 11:56 for Waterloo via Yeovil Pen Mill and Yeovil Junction, departing there at 12:52 via Gillingham and taking up the path of the 13:47 from Salisbury to Waterloo.

Talk about introducing a service by stealth!!!!

How long has this been running? It's not even advertised in SWT's own timetable

https://www.southwesttrains.co.uk/plan-your-journey/timetables/download-timetables/

This new service is a huge improvement in local connectivity to the area.

a) It gives passengers from Westbury (and environs) and Castle Cary a morning train with access to Yeovil Jcn directly - and hence onwards to Crewkerne Honiton, etc (OK, the connection time is not good, but heck, saves changing to a bus or taxi)

b) It gives passengers from off the LSW a good morning access to Weymouth - with connections to Poole and Bournemouth

c) the return gives a mid-day service from Weymouth (and Bournemouth etc) directly onto the LSW main line for onward travel.

excellent news. Does anyone know how long this will operate? Summer only or beyond?

Hat's off to SWT. I hope this proves a success, but why don't they advertise it more?

EDIT: These trains did not run yesterday, but are in RTT for tomorrow.

Possibly just for the Weymouth Carnival?

Last edited:

embers25

Established Member
Talk about introducing a service by stealth!!!!

How long has this been running? It's not even advertised in SWT's own timetable

https://www.southwesttrains.co.uk/plan-your-journey/timetables/download-timetables/

This new service is a huge improvement in local connectivity to the area.

a) It gives passengers from Westbury (and environs) and Castle Cary a morning train with access to Yeovil Jcn directly - and hence onwards to Crewkerne Honiton, etc (OK, the connection time is not good, but heck, saves changing to a bus or taxi)

b) It gives passengers from off the LSW a good morning access to Weymouth - with connections to Poole and Bournemouth

c) the return gives a mid-day service from Weymouth (and Bournemouth etc) directly onto the LSW main line for onward travel.

excellent news. Does anyone know how long this will operate? Summer only or beyond?

Hat's off to SWT. I hope this proves a success, but why don't they advertise it more?

EDIT: These trains did not run yesterday, but are in RTT for tomorrow.

Possibly just for the Weymouth Carnival?

Only today and tomorrow so Carnival is probably right but still impressive.

70014IronDuke

Established Member
Only today and tomorrow so Carnival is probably right but still impressive.

I wonder if this is more of an experiment than a genuine attempt to help travelling passengers for the two days? After all, if you don't advertise an unusual service like this, you are not going to get that many passengers, are you? People just are not going to be there waiting for the train.

It would be an unusually helpful train if it ran regularly. At least the morning service. I've since noted that it provides a useful connection (20 min wait) at Westbury with the 08.49 from Swindon.

this means anyone from Swindon/Melksham can get to Weymouth roughly half a hour before the regular 10.37 GW departure, despite the deviation to Yeovil Jcn.

Intriguingly, this train also provides a neat, 10m connection at Castle Cary to feed into the 09.06 ex Paddington-Plymouth. Given the poor service from Westbury westwards in the morning (like, er, one train :cry:), this would prove very useful if introduced on a daily basis.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

SWT have also put on a (very) late return to Salisbury. (The 15.50 ex Waterloo extended down to Weymouth via Pen Mill. )

I was clearly wrong yesterday thinking this was an experiment with no effort to attract passengers. They wouldn't go to the trouble of four extra trains for that. Presumably the services show up on on-line bookings.

Is this a first for such relief services? Just two days, of course, but interesting that SWT are eager to exploit possibilities.

Veteran Member
The evening trains also call at the halts (Chetnole etc) - obviously hoping for local traffic for the evening.

Anyone know whether there has been publicity locally? It shows in the OJP.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
All these"Yeovil extras" are presently considered experimental, they are not actually required in the next franchise spec in the long term.

This note appears on the train service provision spreadsheet:

LE1 Experimental service only. Bidders must provide the December 2015 service level between these stations until December 2018. Any service may be extended beyond YVJ until this date. From the December 2018 timetable onwards bidders must consult with DfT on the provision of any service in excess of one train per day in each direction between Yeovil Junction and Yeovil Pen Mill.
(In case anyone is planning on any long term ideas to use them for routine travel...)

Kentish Paul

I thought they stopped being request stops a while back. Every train (GWR) i've used over the last 2 years has automatically stopped at these stations.

Status
Not open for further replies.