• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Provides announcements within 2 minutes when the train comes to a stop between statio

Status
Not open for further replies.

najaB

Veteran Member
Quite surprised that during refurbs or on new stock a wireless system...
I think that it's not happened as driver to guard communications is classed as safety critical, so wired systems are preferred over wireless ones that have the potential to be scuppered by a flat battery at the worst possible time.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GarethJohn

How about a train that is held outside a station because it is 5 minutes early. Passengers can see the time and (should) know when it is due to arrive, especially at its last stop.

Most passengers don't clutch a timetable in their hands throughout the journey and will have an extremely vague if any idea on what time the train should get into the Stations they are not using. So if its held outside any station it's handy to know.

philthetube

Established Member
Accepting that there are times when it is not practical, normally to make a P.A. saying we are currently being held at a red signal, because of early running, or whatever, takes 10 seconds and could normally be done before contacting the signaller or whoever. It reassures passengers and costs nothing. Not everyone knows when a train is due to arrive and little things like this help to make a journey pleasanter for some.

antharro

I'm gonna break the mould. While I appreciate regular announcements when a train has been stopped for a while, it does annoy me on the tube when the T/Op decides to immediately get on the PA as soon as the train stops in a tunnel. Trains do stop from time to time in-between stations, whether they're in a tube tunnel or on the ECML. Anyone who uses a train knows this.

So an immediate announcement is not required. In the specific case of the tube, if the train's held at a red signal and it doesn't clear within 30 seconds, then sure, make an announcement saying you're going to find out what's going on (if you haven't already been told), then make another announcement within a minute even if you haven't heard anything back. Making an announcement as soon as the wheels have stopped moving is just too much, imo.

Two minutes on the mainline seems appropriate, and SWT usually do this as well as regular updates.

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
I'm gonna break the mould. While I appreciate regular announcements when a train has been stopped for a while, it does annoy me on the tube when the T/Op decides to immediately get on the PA as soon as the train stops in a tunnel. Trains do stop from time to time in-between stations, whether they're in a tube tunnel or on the ECML. Anyone who uses a train knows this.

Don't forget that a good chunk of the passengers at times might be tourists, for whom it might be their first time ever on a subway/tube/underground train

redbutton

Shouldn't they have contacted or been contacted by their control and/or the signaler by the time a train has been brought to a stand at a red for 20mins+?

Not in London. Around here, the signallers almost never proactively contact you unless there's something they need from you.

timbo58

Agree with Flamingo it's been policy on GW for at least 10 years IME.

If you are ridiculously busy doing tickets it can be a few minutes before you realise you're stopped longer than is normally expected at some signals however and I certainly wouldn't want to be making a PA whilst waiting at a 'regular signal' before joining the mainline as you'd be doing it day in/day out!

Nicks

TfL is very keen that apology/reassurance PAs are routinely made by train Operators as required between stations when the train has stopped and there is an extensive mystery traveller survey on trains checking that this happens.

FordFocus

If I'm held for more than 2 minutes I make an announcement as per company policy. Occasionally this cannot be done as I maybe in the middle of a lengthy discussion with the signaller or control.

Flamingo

Established Member
Sometimes passengers want too much information - once, I had to hold a train for an ambulance as I had a lady who was very ill, and as she was (fortuitously) sitting beside a PA point, I was able (between assessing her level of consciousness) to make three or four announcements in 15 minutes giving estimated arrival time of ambulance and evacuation.

Walking through the train afterwards, I was roundly abused by a male for not saying exactly what was wrong with the lady as he had a right to know why he was being delayed, and just saying "an ill passenger" was, according to him, showing a flagrant disregard for everybody who was being delayed...

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Theres tossers in every walk of life

Re too much info, I think wer all given the security stuff to much and on TFL the constant reminders about how using contactless is a tad grating but Im with the boffinss, keep us well informed

Haig paxton

Theres tossers in every walk of life

Re too much info, I think wer all given the security stuff to much and on TFL the constant reminders about how using contactless is a tad grating but Im with the boffinss, keep us well informed

No. In the good old days passengers sat there and shut up. Trains stop at signals and passengers should expect that. People didn't ask as many questions even in the late 90s but now expect too much. We pander to their needs or "rights" too easily.

theironroad

Established Member
Trains start they stop they have to slow down a speed up, it doesn't need a running commentary from crew. Yes, maybe after a few minutes or when being considerably delayed, but not constant commentary.

Camden

Established Member
Think such specific rules are more of a nuisance than anything. People should be kept informed, but staff should be able to know when and how often according to circumstance. When I hear announcements, I brace myself for a bit of a wait and this has caused unnecessary angst once or twice as to whether I'd get to my destination on time. When actually the train rolled on just a minute or so after the announcement was made. People expect to hear announcements when there is a problem, not when it's just it's a minor issue of no consequence.

Flamingo

Established Member
Think such specific rules are more of a nuisance than anything. People should be kept informed, but staff should be able to know when and how often according to circumstance. When I hear announcements, I brace myself for a bit of a wait and this has caused unnecessary angst once or twice as to whether I'd get to my destination on time. When actually the train rolled on just a minute or so after the announcement was made. People expect to hear announcements when there is a problem, not when it's just it's a minor issue of no consequence.
I will frequently see a pager message that gives the potential for delays, decide to say nothing as it is far enough away to have sorted itself before we get there, and it usually has....

Status
Not open for further replies.