Public Misconceptions!

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by Ferret, 24 Mar 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. table38

table38 Established Member

Of course, another advantage of driving is that when you get there, you have a car :)

2. DaveNewcastle

DaveNewcastle Established Member Fares Advisor

I find that often is a disadvantage!
    I'd have to find somewhere to park it. In the centre of London a car is the last thing I'd want to be burdened with!

I agree. And that opportunity may be to use the value-added time in a non-productive manner such as sleeping.

Another misconception about rail travel vs road is that if your car journey is delayed by an hour or so, then you are delayed and it may have carried a cost. Delay Repay on a train may result in £100 or so of Rail Travel Vouchers.
    In the event of the unthinkable (a serious accident with injuries) the Railways have insurances and compensation mechanisms which can be a lot more helpful than the motor industry with disputes between insurers, a written off car and perhaps no replacement (experiences may differ).

Last edited: 1 May 2012
  3. table38

I agree, I rarely drive into central London either, (although parking is fairly straight-forward if not expensive), but considering other destinations, what if your plans change... what if you've got a lot of luggage... or a lot of shopping some of which you can take back to the car and carry on... if you don't fancy the pub round the corner for lunch, you can drive out somewhere nice... if you are running early, you can sit in the car and wait...

And of course, you can't miss the last train home :)

(Having said that, I'm fickle... for regular trips, I usually drive until I get fed up, then I try the train for a while, then get fed up with that and drive again!)

4. Solent&Wessex

Solent&Wessex Established Member

I wouldn't drive into London either, but then the train service to London is different to everywhere else. Newcastle to Liverpool, Birmingham to Leeds, Edinburgh to Manchester and many other similar non London journeys require special feats of endurance, especially on Sundays.

5. ert47

ert47 Member

It once took me just over 9 hours to get from South London to Lincoln once...

Mind you - i did get the coach from London to Nottingham... Just to find there were no trains running between there and Newark so another long coach journey... ._.

6. Wyvern

Wyvern Established Member

That's the problem - it isnt. What with incomprehensible fares, threatening notices on the platform, complicated and slow ticket machines and then standing for hours.

<(<D

7. MarkyMarkD

MarkyMarkD Member

Buy your ticket online (as I nearly always do) or from the nice simple ticket machine (for local journeys at least) and there's no problem!

I'll concede "standing for hours" (well maybe 40-45 minutes) but only if travelling in the morning peak into London from here - the rest of the time I always get a seat.

8. bignosemac

bignosemac Established Member

Not travelled Off Peak with CrossCountry then? Far from unusual to be standing for long periods of time particularly Friday and Sunday afternoons.

9. MarkyMarkD

MarkyMarkD Member

No, I am pretty fortunate to never travel anywhere with CrossCountry. ;)

10. Robinson

Robinson Member

I find CrossCountry are generally pretty easy to avoid for my journeys. Other than that, just things like arriving in plenty of time, being on the platform ready when the train pulls in, having luggage ready etc. are just a few ways passengers could help themselves if they wanted seats.

11. CaptainHaddock

CaptainHaddock Established Member

Generally I find forcing my way to the front and elbowing other passengers out of the way (especially pensioners and families) is the best way to guarantee a seat.

12. island

island Established Member

The return half of an off-peak ticket from A-B has the same restrictions as the outbound half of an off-peak ticket from B-A.

13. barrykas

barrykas Established Member

As any fewl knows, the best way to ensure a seat on a train is to be the Driver or Guard on said train. :lol:

14. table38

The best way to ensure a seat is to travel on the 15:34 Ellesmere Port to Helsby train, which I had all to myself last Saturday :)

15. Andrew Nelson

Andrew Nelson Member

Far too sensible.

Tho' it is (acording to GM travel) valid to Salford Crescent and change there.
    --- old post above --- --- new post below ---
    No to mention that an "Adult" is sombody over the age of majority, 18 in the UK.
    Or that "Second Class" even exists anylonger?
    Chatham has Trains on Christmas Day and Boxingday?

16. silverfoxcc

silverfoxcc Member

MarkyMarkD

Re your earlier post on standing car costs. I tend to agree, BUT i use the car most days. Unlike the train, and i was just comparing one specific journey by rail as opposed to the same by car, Which years ago MAY have been cheaper and more convienient by Rail both in cost and time, but nowadays with short arsed trains running instead of ones where you could get a seat, i do not want to take the risk of having to stand ,possibly both ways. And if i am delayed on the road , i have, unless i am on a Motorway, which on my journey i am not, i have Sat nav and an atlas which will enable me to chooose another route pretty quickly. and not vouchers for the same thing to happen another time. I am pro rail but the buggers that run them are not. I used to travel to most away games by rail. Footex brilliant and cheap, but now you are herded worse than cattle and treated by all plod as vermin ( except two BTP plod at Derby who got us off the station so we could grab a meal.) The local West Mid Gestapo insisted on all the away fans getting on the next train out!!!!! Despite the tickets not being valid on it. Idiots!

Oh and what bright divot decided to have drop off only at KX. I had to park 10 mins away to carry the cases for my wife, instead of the 'good old days' where there was a short term car park outside the GN hotel. Having said that the gate guy Ebenezer at KX kindly let me through, oh No bloody platform tickets now!!! and the train manager? who i am going to commend to East Coast were both credits compared to the fat arsed cats who get obscene bonuses for the good work these guys do

Rant over

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.