• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Public Station Pianos.

richa2002

Established Member
I'm in two minds. He does seem to go out looking for trouble and I don't trust the way he sometimes uses click bait titles referring to "pretty girls" or "teens". At the same time though, if it exposes ludicrous beliefs such that Chinese laws/customs have any validity in the UK, or that stating "we're in Britain, not China" as a rebuttal, is something "you can't say" in the words of the policewoman, that is worth knowing about and addressing.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

robspaceman

Speaking as a pianist who sometimes likes to play a bit of Schubert or Chopin on station pianos when I’ve a spare moment… this attention seeking monetising boogiewoogie YouTube nob is in danger of ruining it for everyone.

jon0844

Veteran Member
I assume that because he's now so (in)famous, people are going to go to him to get publicity. In some cases, I wouldn't even be surprised if it wasn't an organised collaboration to bring in more views and revenue.

It's a real shame that the end result is going to be the removal of these pianos. The area wasn't supposed to become a YouTuber studio. Although I think it's currently closed until they open the new office building, Google has a YouTube studio just over the road for content creators to use.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
". At the same time though, if it exposes ludicrous beliefs such that Chinese laws/customs have any validity in the UK, or that stating "we're in Britain, not China" as a rebuttal, is something "you can't say" in the words of the policewoman, that is worth knowing about and addressing.

Yes, the policewoman probably needs a bit of re-training in this instance.

I assume that because he's now so (in)famous, people are going to go to him to get publicity. In some cases, I wouldn't even be surprised if it wasn't an organised collaboration to bring in more views and revenue.

It's a real shame that the end result is going to be the removal of these pianos. The area wasn't supposed to become a YouTuber studio. Although I think it's currently closed until they open the new office building, Google has a YouTube studio just over the road for content creators to use.

He plays piano, he records it, people watch. I don't see the problem.

alex397

Established Member
It does make me laugh that these people supposedly didn’t want to be identified, so stand in front of a camera waving red Communist flags and argue with the people filming, rather than just quietly slipping away. And then have the cheek to get their personal security guards over (a.k.a BTP) just for some added drama.

The piano has now supposedly been taped off with St Pancras security standing by, as the piano undergoes ‘maintenance’. Although this is only being reported by the tabloids such as the Daily Mail, so obviously that could just be a load of rubbish.

Established Member
I really like this chap's piano skills, however as a person I find him quite odious.

That said, the Chinese lady who confronted him is perhaps unfamiliar with the rules in the rest of the world and deserves cancellation of her visa for making such draconian demands in a western country.

One potential avenue of complaint is this chap operates his hobby as a business. A business or commercial entity recording members of the public should be compliant with GDPR, including when filming.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Anyone who features in one of his videos on YouTube could make a request to YT to be hidden or removed, but this whole thing looks like a set up.

At the very least, if there are complaints/claims made on a video, it will likely be demonetised. I wonder if that might refocus some minds.

Plus there's the issue of recording commercially on private property.

St Pancras isn't a studio or theatre.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
He isn't squeaky clean in his behaviour by any means, and some of the things he says/does are clearly provocative in nature. I don't think he was being racist, but was being ignorant regarding the flag, and was clearly looking for trouble by making such comments.

However, the people who go up to him demanding not to be filmed have no right to do so; their actions were counterproductive and nonsensical, and they are clearly very confused about UK law. Some of the things they say are nonsensical, e.g. being on a "tight schedule" (then why are they staying?!)

They could have avoided being filmed by simply leaving the area; they have attracted more attention to themselves by acting in the way they did. Clearly there are cultural differences, but they also seemed pretty unhinged and lacking any sense of logic or common sense.

The police officer acted inappropriately and made incorrect statements; I don't blame her as an individual, but clearly she is lacking the necessary training in this area of law.

Overall it's a victory for the pianist as he has exposed appalling behaviour by the individuals who put themselves in front of the camera demanding not to be filmed, and he also exposed the awful knowledge among some police officers, as well as generating many more views than he would have otherwise had.

Flying Snail

Established Member
The idea that any of these were ignorant tourists unfamiliar with UK law simply does not hold up to scrutiny, especially as these Chinese nationals have been identified, none are tourists, they all are UK resident and one has been employed by a UK taxpayer funded organisation that appears to be heavily linked to the Chinese communist party, not to mention has been pictured at various events with very senior Tory party members.

It is all very bizarre and while undoubtedly a boon for this pianist's youtoob fame index, at least in the short term, it is hopefully a nail in the coffin of these stupid station pianos that are just becoming a free performance space for social media fame merchants rather than random members of the public.

Sadly this sort of escalation is inevitable with this type of use as people desperate to feed their fame-whore narcissicism will do anything for some more clicks.

alex397

Established Member
it is hopefully a nail in the coffin of these stupid station pianos that are just becoming a free performance space for social media fame merchants rather than random members of the public.
I certainly hope not. Most of the time when I walk through St Pancras, they are used by ordinary people who arn’t filming themselves and it often cheers me up hearing people play.
So, I’d hate to see the removal of these pianos across the UK just because of a YouTuber and some communist drama queens.

chazi898

I have played a few public pianos before, albeit only once was on a station (Stafford i think it was). I have walked past the St Pancras piano a few times and would've loved to play that piano, such a shame they corden off these things.

D Williams

I think we should accept that doing or saying anything at all nowadays carries the risk of offending the entitled minority or, even worse, the representatives of a totalitarian state to which we are in thrall. It's always reassuring to see the british governments political police coming down hard on this sort of irresponsible behaviour from an individual who has forgotten we no longer live in a free society. George Orwell was right.

Established Member
I'm in two minds. He does seem to go out looking for trouble and I don't trust the way he sometimes uses click bait titles referring to "pretty girls" or "teens". At the same time though, if it exposes ludicrous beliefs such that Chinese laws/customs have any validity in the UK, or that stating "we're in Britain, not China" as a rebuttal, is something "you can't say" in the words of the policewoman, that is worth knowing about and addressing.

I think we should accept that doing or saying anything at all nowadays carries the risk of offending the entitled minority or, even worse, the representatives of a totalitarian state to which we are in thrall. It's always reassuring to see the british governments political police coming down hard on this sort of irresponsible behaviour from an individual who has forgotten we no longer live in a free society. George Orwell was right.

I completely agree with both of the above posts. An absolutely ridiculous intervention, which perfectly demonstrates how the police in London have their priorities completely wrong. Not that those of us who live there need any reminding of that, of course!

Travelmonkey

any kind of art intalation can be troublesome for pianos I often find mydself twinkling the ivorys at Derby/St Pancrass & Euston, also a good way to see people far more tallented than me playing a piano, ultimatley in this media landscape you get those who push it like the "auditors" who set out for a reaction from authority, ultimatley there will be clowns and kids but it's the virtue of a public asset even visual an art piece i filmed recently offended because I failed to include a trigger warning, Art is subjective but we cannot be drawn to grey drab manoteny removing something engaging.

although it's a bit hard for my monkey to play he's only got little arms

*photo of the monkey plush in a rucksack facing Derby's Station piano*

Attachments

• 20231022_123634.jpg
    20231022_123634.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 47

Oldgaloot

"An absolutely ridiculous intervention, which perfectly demonstrates how the police in London have their priorities completely wrong."

I feel a bit sorry for the police on this one. It's hard for individual officers to keep up with all the current sensivities. Even Mark Rowley seems a bit troubled from time to time - "from the river to the sea......". But then some people do behave in what seems a deliberately provocative manner. If you don't want to be fllmed, get out of the way.

jon0844

Veteran Member

Description: Brendan Kavanagh's video filmed at St. Pancras Station and the demands to stop filming raise questions as to what is a public place - this is more complex than you might think! Let's get into it.

Purple Train

Established Member
Agreed, such a shame. While I agree that they've stopped being something for the general public to enjoy and have been monopolised by individuals such as the gentleman in question here, as I've said before, it adds a human touch to a railway world that is all too often corporate and faceless. They are one of the few things that distinguish passengers (or usable "customers" to use modern railway-speak) from herded cattle.

(Although someone needs to wash the pencil marks off the Derby piano, the letters are on the wrong notes!)

chubs

Apparently it was just condoned off whilst working on the lifts, reports on Reddit that both pianos accessible and in use again.

Not sure how long it's been like this but the St Pancras website now specifically addresses filming the pianos:

greyman42

Established Member
Yes, the policewoman probably needs a bit of re-training in this instance.
Surely the policewoman should of had a basic knowledge of the law from her earlier training?
Saying to the gentleman "You can't say that" is ludicrous.

Russel

Obviously there is more to this than we've seen in the video, but Brendan, looking at some of his other videos, does seem to attract trouble, so let's not be too quick to jump to his defence.

greyman42

Established Member
Obviously there is more to this than we've seen in the video, but Brendan, looking at some of his other videos, does seem to attract trouble, so let's not be too quick to jump to his defence.
Why is it obvious?

Fisherman80

The guy is playing a piano.......so what! I wish we had more people like him. I've watched a few of his videos and apart from one or two incidents he generally brings a smile to people's faces who may be having a bad day.
I think Mr Kavanagh handled the whole thing with extreme restraint because that situation could have got very nasty indeed.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The idea that any of these were ignorant tourists unfamiliar with UK law simply does not hold up to scrutiny, especially as these Chinese nationals have been identified, none are tourists, they all are UK resident and one has been employed by a UK taxpayer funded organisation that appears to be heavily linked to the Chinese communist party, not to mention has been pictured at various events with very senior Tory party members.
Thanks; in that case my view is much more on the side of the pianist.

It's also great these people have been exposed; they entirely brought this upon themselves.

And here is a screenshot in case the video ever gets taken down:

1706124186328.png
screenshot1.jpg
screenshot2.jpg

No doubt they will be recognised at events in future, as they have managed to make themselves famous!

Last edited:

Energy

Established Member
According to the Evening Standard, the group wanted to record a greeting for Chinese New Year (explains the flags) and had waited around 40 minutes (explains them saying they are on a tight schedule). They didn't realise he was live-streaming and were asking him not to record them, I still think that they don't quite get that in the UK anyone can record anyone.

Brendan Kavanagh doesn't help himself calling them Japanese (I doubt it's an innocent mistake, they are holding Chinese flags...), and calling the flag a communist flag seems like him poking the bear for a bigger reaction. His subsequent circuit around the media is him making hay while the sun shines. Since they are UK residents, not tourists, I side with Brendan - they should know that anyone can record anyone in a public space and I don't understand why they didn't put the flags away and as a quick "Hi, how long will you be on the piano?".

Apparently it was just condoned off whilst working on the lifts, reports on Reddit that both pianos accessible and in use again.

Not sure how long it's been like this but the St Pancras website now specifically addresses filming the pianos:

Looking at archive.org, that page has been there since at least March 2023 and has not changed.

Network Rail (on behalf of HS1 Ltd.) is quite reasonable, with impromptu filming being OK but commercial activity (what Brendan Kavanagh does) should be applied for to ensure that the piano is still available to the public

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Brendan Kavanagh doesn't help himself calling them Japanese (I doubt it's an innocent mistake, they are holding Chinese flags...)
If you watch this video you can see why it may be an innocent mistake, as the producer for the group said that he is making something for Japanese TV, and also refers to the pianist being Japanese. Brendan actually starts the video by saying they are Chinese but the producer ‘corrects’ him by saying “Japanese, even.”

The video which is allegedly filmed just before the interaction is even more strange, as it shows him being quite friendly and cordial with some of the group which he later has an argument with…

Russel

Why is it obvious?

Because we don't know how much of the video he filmed at the time made it into the Youtube video, we don't know how much was said off camera etc...

To take this at face value and assume the video portrays 100% of what happened on the day is simply naïve.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Time to just ban this weird freak from network rail and toc property.
How does he manage to cause this to happen or is it just unlucky?

The thing is the Chineese people end up being more on TV by coming over and interacting than if they had left things alone.

I wonder if the Police will ask for the video to be taken down, given it is a police matter and they asked them to stop filming and they didn't comply.

Flying Snail

Established Member
How does he manage to cause this to happen or is it just unlucky?

The thing is the Chineese people end up being more on TV by coming over and interacting than if they had left things alone.

I wonder if the Police will ask for the video to be taken down, given it is a police matter and they asked them to stop filming and they didn't comply.

They can ask all they want but it would be pointless, they have no power to compel him to remove it. Besides, it has spread far and wide seeing as he has been on dozens of mainstream and web outlets milking his brush with the commies complete with clips of all the juicy bits. If the did try to "silence" him it would be perfect fodder for another round of publicity and yet another egg on face moment for the Met.

trebor79

Established Member
"An absolutely ridiculous intervention, which perfectly demonstrates how the police in London have their priorities completely wrong."

I feel a bit sorry for the police on this one. It's hard for individual officers to keep up with all the current sensivities.
Police officers shouldn't be concerned with cultural and social sensitivities. Their job is to enforce the law and catch people who break the law. If someone is offended by someone else stating a matter of fact such as "We are in Britain, not China", that is not a breach of the law and is not a police matter.
View attachment 151057

No doubt they will be recognised at events in future, as they have managed to make themselves famous!
Is it just me who finds it ironic that one of them is filming them objecting to being filmed?