• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Question regarding staff travel pass

Status
Not open for further replies.

so_nervous

I start my conductor training on Monday and have just received in the post my staff privilege card.

I just wondered how it works as I will be getting a train on Monday morning, do you just board without buying a ticket, or do you still need to get one from a ticket person?

Do not want to get it wrong on my first day as a trainee!

The journey Ill be making is with the TOC I will be working for.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

causton

Established Member
The pass gives you 75% off Anytime fares (i.e. not Off-Peak, Advances, etc) in the class shown in the corner of your ticket (presumably STD - Standard Class - i.e. not First Class!)

People who joined the railway a long time ago get free travel "boxes" to fill in on their passes, however as a new starter (TOCNE) you will not unfortunately.

However, whatever TOC you work for will almost certainly give you free travel on their own services, you should probably have a separate pass for that issued by your company! If you don't yet, I would carry any company documentation with your details on, as surely any ticket inspector would not give a penalty fare to their own staff members on their own service :P

spurs4life

Your staff pass is your ticket so you can just get straight on to the train no problem.

so_nervous

The pass gives you 75% off Anytime fares (i.e. not Off-Peak, Advances, etc) in the class shown in the corner of your ticket (presumably STD - Standard Class - i.e. not First Class!)

People who joined the railway a long time ago get free travel "boxes" to fill in on their passes, however as a new starter (TOCNE) you will not unfortunately.

However, whatever TOC you work for will almost certainly give you free travel on their own services, you should probably have a separate pass for that issued by your company! If you don't yet, I would carry any company documentation with your details on, as surely any ticket inspector would not give a penalty fare to their own staff members on their own service :P

Thanks for the information, the card I am describing is a Northern Rail pass, so am I right in thinking I will receive something else to show when buying tickets for other TOCs?

I just feel a bit nervous about boarding a train with no ticket Monday morning haha!

causton

Established Member
Thanks for the information, the card I am describing is a Northern Rail pass, so am I right in thinking I will receive something else to show when buying tickets for other TOCs?

I just feel a bit nervous about boarding a train with no ticket Monday morning haha!

Ah okay. If it has a Northern Rail logo on it, it will most definitely be the free travel one.
The other one for 75% off travel... IIRC has the National Rail logo in the corner, says "TOC Privilege Travel Card" on it, and says "NOT VALID FOR FREE TRAVEL" in a corner in bold.

And it'll be fine, many people board trains without tickets in Northern-land from what I've heard ;)

nomis1066

Your new employer should've told you what your travel entitlements are. I suspect you are entitled to free travel on all the trains operated by the TOC you have just joined. And you may well also be entitled to some deals on trains operated by other TOCs that are, overall, owned by the same company. For example, I believe Southern people can get travel deals on London Midland trains.

Good luck as you start your railway career.

BestWestern

Established Member
Hello, and congrats! :)

To clarify; you should have been issued several items. The one with a Northern logo on it is your free travel pass, presumably valid on all Northern trains. You just need to show it when you travel, unless you are in uniform in which case you highly are unlikely to need to produce it, but carry it always. You should have the option of obtaining passes for a long term partner and any dependant children too, it's long winded but management will explain it all.

You should also have a PRIV card, likely to be grey and red. This is what entitles you to discounts elsewhere. There are no boxes to fill in, you just show it when you buy your tickets. There should also be a photo ID card which goes with it, to prove who you are. If you haven't had that one yet don't panic, you will do.

Hope that makes things a little clearer.

Last edited:

so_nervous

Hello, and congrats! :)

To clarify; you should have been issued several items. The one with a Northern logo on it is your free travel pass, presumably valid on all Northern trains. You just need to show it when you travel, unless you are in uniform in which case you highly are unlikely to need to produce it, but carry it always. You should have the option of obtaining passes for a long term partner and any dependant children too, it's long winded but management will explain it all.

You should also have a PRIV card, likely to be grey and red. This is what entitles you to discounts elsewhere. There are no boxes to fill in, you just show it when you buy your tickets. There should also be a photo ID card which goes with it, to prove who you are. If you haven't had that one yet don't panic, you will do.

Hope that makes things a little clearer.

Thank you! That does make sense. I haven't had my first day yet, have just been sent the Northern Rail card in the post so I thought I'd ask here and not make a fool of myself on my first day!

Are the cards valid for peak services?

FGW_DID

Established Member
Should be valid on all services, usually the only restrictions are that you travel in the class indicated on the pass and if busy and paying passengers are standing you must give up your seat.

driver9000

Established Member
Thank you! That does make sense. I haven't had my first day yet, have just been sent the Northern Rail card in the post so I thought I'd ask here and not make a fool of myself on my first day!

Are the cards valid for peak services?

Your pass is valid at all times. Your pass is not valid until your first day of employment.

Your 'Priv' should arrive after 1 months service.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Take your traniing commencement letter with you -(if it makes you feel better) but you should be absolutly fine. Congratulations on joining one of the World's finest clubs - the railway ...

Monty

Established Member
It might be worth mentioning that your ATOC priv pass, the one that gives you a 75% on the other TOCs is only valid for leisure use only and shouldn't be used to travel to or from work.

westbrom

What if 2 toc`s operate on the same routesuch as Wolverhampton to Birmingham,london midland and virgin both do the same one,if you worked for London midland do you only get free travel on their trains?

driver9000

Established Member
What if 2 toc's operate on the same routesuch as Wolverhampton to Birmingham,london midland and virgin both do the same one,if you worked for London midland do you only get free travel on their trains?

Unless there is an agreement to use another operators services you are restricted to free travel on your TOCs services.

TOCDriver

Some TOC's (and guards) are more accommodating than others if truth be told. Certainly in my limited experience of using it. They are a bit of a lottery when you venture from your own TOC's services.

Last edited:

Beveridges

Established Member
Some TOC's (and guards) are more accommodating than others if truth be told. Certainly in my limited experience of using it. They are a bit of a lottery when you venture from your own TOC's services.

Using other TOCs services for free is a right mixed bag. I can't say I've had too much success with Virgin, although I've done 70 odd mile trips on TPE for free.

Many work colleagues say they have been to London Euston and back with Virgin for free in First Class with all their family as well! Holding nothing more than a Northern pass! With permission of the guard of cause.

When I last tried to use a Virgin train with my Northern pass the guard charged me the really high 'any time' fare! Thank F**K I was only travelling 10 mile. I can say that from my experience Virgin staff treat off-duty Northern rail staff like members of the public and expect us to pay and comply with all their restrictions, yet they just get on our services when they want and use them for free!

Last edited:

Established Member
Welcome to the railway!

You'll get 'official' travel on your own TOC but you'll get 75% off the MOST EXPENSIVE FARE with another TOC.

Have a quite word with the guard if you can find him/her. The majority are like me, the best. But be warned there are few who have swallowed the fares manual and their company's mantra that we are all enemy's.

Stuart-h

Off track slightly what about people who work track side?

I work for an agencey who works on the railway. Is there any sorts of discounts that can be applyed at all?

Established Member
Off track slightly what about people who work track side?

I work for an agencey who works on the railway. Is there any sorts of discounts that can be applyed at all?

Similar to Network Rail, they will not get the PRIV passes.

Stuart-h

Fair do's
Ive got an id badge from the agencey I work for. Would that surfice at all?

Established Member
Fair do's

Officially, you are not entitled to free travel, unless the agency has an agreement with a TOC (e.g. if your company was doing work on behalf of that TOC, they sometimes give staff free travel for the duration of the contract).

Unofficially, you could ask the guard if they would accept you on the train. However, there was a recent post in the forum where someone who was employed by G4S on a Northern Rail contract was stopped without a ticket even though the guard had given permission, so in the end in might not be worth it.

driver9000

Established Member
Fair do's

As a post-1996 member of p/way staff you are not entitled to any free/discounted staff travel. Even Network Rail staff don't get travel facilities.

My ID card makes the consequences for misuse perfectly clear so you have to question is bunking a free ride really worth it?

Last edited:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
If i may just appear into the room like a pauper at a feast to point out that some of us, despite working full time on the railway, get no travel allowances what so ever :cry: ( am not bitter or anything! ;))

Clip

Established Member
Fair do's

As others have said it really depends on who you bump into - some of us treat everyone as one of us but then others dont. Always best to ask politely at first and if you get a no, then buy a ticket and dont feel hard done by.

Stuart-h

As others have said it really depends on who you bump into - some of us treat everyone as one of us but then others dont. Always best to ask politely at first and if you get a no, then buy a ticket and dont feel hard done by.

Thats fair enough. I dont have a problem buying tickets.

TOCDriver

Network Rail staff are well and truely shafted in all honesty. I do feel sorry for them in this regard.

Status
Not open for further replies.