• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

RailMiles - Mileage Engine is back!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finfanero

Hi,

Has anyone any ideas when Rail Miles will be accepting new members.

I have emailed Tom C without any success or reply.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
I have just contacted Tom and he has informed me that he has had to suspend new accounts again following the fix of an error in the database, as the issue has returned again. He expects it to be a month before he can accept new customers again.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Spoke to Tom, briefly, via Twitter earlier, he's working on fixing the errors to get RMME going again, and is also working on getting RailMiles 4 done. That's been in the pipeline for a long time now, so I'll be glad to see it finally arrive!

He said that once RM4 is done, which should be by the end of February, then new subscribers can be done again.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
One thing I don't quite understand is how come RMME is working for subscribers but not for non-subscribers? Does RM3 use a different RMME engine internally to the public version?

Tom

One thing I don't quite understand is how come RMME is working for subscribers but not for non-subscribers? Does RM3 use a different RMME engine internally to the public version?

Yes. Different server. Separation of concerns is a good software design practice! :)

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
"Separation of concerns"!? Blimey that is a blast from the past. You are reminding me of my software project management module from my degree.

Hope things are all fixed soon.

mbreckers

Anyone know when RailMiles will be back up, been trying to sign up for a while now but its always "more information will be available soon"

Seconded! All this googling, engineers line refs, quails and OS mapping just for mileage is tiring :P

crehld

Established Member
Seconded! All this googling, engineers line refs, quails and OS mapping just for mileage is tiring :P

I for one have enjoyed the challenge of looking up mileages in a track atlas and doing the calculations. :P

theblackwatch

Established Member

There are books out there that contain all the mileages in an easy format - no need to use Quail!

postye

Anyone know when RailMiles will be back up, been trying to sign up for a while now but its always "more information will be available soon"

Ive been trying for a year to sign up without success - first I got a load of emails with ticket numbers saying it was progressing but no responses to emails - now nothing

gswindale

Is a little strange.

If you've got a "live" account; then you can renew without too much difficulty.

If you haven't; then it does seem to be a problem.

mbreckers

I've gave up on this tbh, I know the guy that runs it has/had other commitments (education etc.) but I dont think its gonna appear to new users anytime soon.

It's a shame cause I want to be able to use that site, but it seems its never going to be

Tom

The reason why you can't sign up as a new member is because the database engine will not physically let me set up new accounts (it crashes when determining the appropriate username tag for a user).

The reason why you can renew as an existing user is because this problem doesn't exist.

RM4 (although RM5 actually, as I was never satisfied with RM4) will return for new signups, along with the mileage engine, at the end of this month. Signing up will be automatic through a registration page and payments will be through debit or credit card only - Visa/Mastercard/Amex.

andyb2706

Me too, it is a right pain trying to figure out the mileage via the sectional appendix, Tom be prepared for an influx of new members :D

Techniquest

Veteran Member
And for a megaton of people using RMME again, I know two people on this forum have an absolute ton of stuff to look up that I simply haven't had time to do for them!

andyb2706

Thats it!! I've finally given up trying to figure out the mileage via the Sectional Appendix, it reminded me of those books I mentioned in a post on another thread " if you want to go here go to page...., or if you want to go here go to page...."

Trying to figure out the mileage for the North East I'm having to jump pages a half dozen times for a simple journey of Darlington to Middlesbrough:mad:

Long return the saviour that is RailMiles.

I've given up with the sectional appendix and find that perusing quails is far easier. The downside to this is that my Eastern quail has taken a battering since RM4 went down and it's dropping to bits...

Another trick I use is to simply type your journey into google (e.g. Darlington - York) and follow it up with the word 'railmiles'. I can then nip in and out of peoples railmiles account and find the mileage data!

Looking forward to RM5!

andyb2706

I've given up with the sectional appendix and find that perusing quails is far easier. The downside to this is that my Eastern quail has taken a battering since RM4 went down and it's dropping to bits...

Another trick I use is to simply type your journey into google (e.g. Darlington - York) and follow it up with the word 'railmiles'. I can then nip in and out of peoples railmiles account and find the mileage data!

Looking forward to RM5!

Thanks for this tip, although a lot easier than the sectional appendix it is still a bit of a pain trawling through the entries to find the one you are looking for.

It's the end of the month, I've just pitched my electronic tent outside the doors of RailMiles website waiting for them to open for business so I can be one of the first to join, hope I don't have to wait too long :)

Status
Not open for further replies.