• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

RailUK First Class Lounge Guide

sonic2009

Established Member
I took a picture of the new lounge at Birmingham if you would like it it's from the outside though.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Seacook

The pictures attached are the interior of the new (temporary) lounge at New Street. Note the rather cheap looking white plastic chairs in the second shot.

Please feel free to use any or all of them.

Attachments

• NewBHM Fc Lounge1.JPG
    NewBHM Fc Lounge1.JPG
    538.8 KB · Views: 127
  • New BHM Fc Lounge2.JPG
    New BHM Fc Lounge2.JPG
    562.8 KB · Views: 128
  • New BHM FC Lounge3.JPG
    New BHM FC Lounge3.JPG
    553.8 KB · Views: 115

Ascot

Established Member
The pictures attached are the interior of the new (temporary) lounge at New Street. Note the rather cheap looking white plastic chairs in the second shot.

Please feel free to use any or all of them.

Many thanks, lounge updated. I personally prefer the temporary one to the old one.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Are we still missing pictures for the NXEA lounges? If so I will try and sort them out in the next couple of months.

Bungle73

On Moderation
I'm in the Edinburgh EC FC Lounge ATM, and I'm the only one in here! Also they appear to have run out of non-decaf coffee. :(
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
There weren't any signs to the FC Lounge. I had to ask someone.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
There weren't any signs to the FC Lounge. I had to ask someone.

Yes I recall from my last visit it's a pain in the backside to find. I did locate one sign but it was on the opposite side of the station so not much use in actually finding the place beyond pointing you in the general direction!

furgus2

Apologies if this has already been mentioned but I was in Newcastle today and noticed that the Lounge is currently closed. The door is boarded up and a printed notice says the Lounge is closed due to a broken door. It gives no indication as to how long the closure will last.

Death

Established Member
Re; Brum (Temporary) FC lounge:
I'm going to be taking my first FC journey with VWC in about a months time to try out the FC facilities for myself. Although my FC ticket is an FES/FDS Advance EUS-BHM on 1G23, it's part of a three ticket journey that'll be issued FNB-WAT (Std SVR), EUS-BHM (1st FES/FDS), and BHM-DBY (Std SVR).
  1. Now of course, I'll be entitled to use the FC lounge at Euston...But as I'm making a connection at New St and not completing my journey there, am I also entitled to use the FC lounge at Brum as I'll have arrived on an FC ticket? :?:
  2. I have a vague idea of the new station layout and an NR-published guide to the changes, but how would I go about finding the FC lounge at BHM? :)
    (Bear in mind that I havn't used the station since the new concourse was opened, so for all intents and purposes I don't know the station layout at all.)
Many thanks for any gen! <D

Butts

Veteran Member
I'm going to be taking my first FC journey with VWC in about a months time to try out the FC facilities for myself. Although my FC ticket is an FES/FDS Advance EUS-BHM on 1G23, it's part of a three ticket journey that'll be issued FNB-WAT (Std SVR), EUS-BHM (1st FES/FDS), and BHM-DBY (Std SVR).
  1. Now of course, I'll be entitled to use the FC lounge at Euston...But as I'm making a connection at New St and not completing my journey there, am I also entitled to use the FC lounge at Brum as I'll have arrived on an FC ticket? :?:
  2. I have a vague idea of the new station layout and an NR-published guide to the changes, but how would I go about finding the FC lounge at BHM? :)
    (Bear in mind that I havn't used the station since the new concourse was opened, so for all intents and purposes I don't know the station layout at all.)

I was at New Street this morning and the Lounge was well signposted on the overhead "road signs" :o

Ascot

Established Member
Thanks for the post re Newcastle. Please keep us informed when it is open. I will be going through the guide on Sunday/Monday and updating everything.

You can use the Birmingham Lounge as an arrivals lounge. Best way is to exit at the Standard Class end (B end) and the lounge is by the stairs to Platform 3. Don't go up the A end as you'll need to exit and re-enter "airside".

trainophile

Established Member
I'm booked on a Hereford-BHM-Stafford-Lime St 1st Class journey. Am I right in thinking that I won't be allowed in the lounge at BHM as my connection from there is XC, then Virgin from Stafford?

Seacook

I'm booked on a Hereford-BHM-Stafford-Lime St 1st Class journey. Am I right in thinking that I won't be allowed in the lounge at BHM as my connection from there is XC, then Virgin from Stafford?

You need to have a first class ticket valid on a Virgin train to or from the station to gain admittance. Your ticket is valid for Virgin services as far as Wolverhampton before changing to XC or LM to Stafford. (Assuming that you do not hold an advance or TOC-specific ticket for XC or LM from BHM.)

trainophile

Established Member
Sorry, should have said it IS an Advance, with timed trains BHM-STA and STA-LIV. Looks like I won't be able to inspect the new lounge at BHM then :(. Oh well, I only have 24 minutes there anyway, so no worries.

ramitamimi

I love those VT branded glasses at the lounge at New Street ,are they used anywhere else?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 109

trainophile

Established Member
I wasn't over-impressed with the new New Street lounge last weekend. It felt more "waiting room" than lounge, and there was nothing but a few rather unexciting biscuits for refreshments, with the usual drinks of course.

Also it may have been my imagination but it seemed that the chaps on the desk scrutinised my ticket for ages with a dubious look on their faces, before letting me pass. Got the impression they are not very happy with punters on Advance tickets.

If it wasn't that the toilet in there is free I probably wouldn't bother again! (I'm assuming that IS the finished version, not a work in progress?).

ramitamimi

I thing FGW lounge in Paddington ,is the best on the network ,this is a menu I found today ,if anyone is itrested...

PS I was allowed in with my Advance Virgin Trains ticket EUS-MAN ...

PPS I ve got some pics from VT lounges in Euston ,Manchester ,New Street , International,should I upload them?

Attachments

• IMG_1453.jpg
    IMG_1453.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 154

broadgage

I like the lounge at Paddington, but it is the only one that I use regularly so I cant compare it with others.
Do I read the menu correctly, that free wine is now back ? Most welcome if so as I thought this had been stopped, and it was only on Fridays anyway IIRC.

gord

This may be a stupid question that I'm 99% certain of the answer to, (which is no!)

Tomorrow I'm going from Paddington to Bristol.

I'm going out advanced standard but coming advanced back first class on the same day. Am I right in thinking that I can't access the lounge before I leave Paddington as my outward ticket is a standard? Or will I be able to because I have a first class ticket for that day? (The return journey from Bristol later that evening) Hope that makes sense!

I assuming I won't be able to use it before I go...but thought I'd ask!

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I've been using the lounge at Kings Cross a bit recently (thanks to EC's recent sale on lounge passes). It now closes earlier - 2125 Mon-Fri and 2015 at weekends.

gord

Just to answer my own question from yesterday. Thought it would do no harm asking at the lounge at Paddington. The lady was very lovely and said I could come in even though I had an outbound standard ticket because my return first class ticket was on the same day.

Very impressed...miles above the Euston lounge.

tsr

Established Member
I love those VT branded glasses at the lounge at New Street ,are they used anywhere else?

Yes. In my house, but without the Virgin logo*! You could probably buy some and make a transfer if you so desire... :p I may be able to forward you the manufacturer's details! ;)

*Thus proving I am a counterfeit Beardy. Obviously.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Just to answer my own question from yesterday. Thought it would do no harm asking at the lounge at Paddington. The lady was very lovely and said I could come in even though I had an outbound standard ticket because my return first class ticket was on the same day.

Very impressed...miles above the Euston lounge.

That's excellent service, and not the first time I've heard it. I wonder if they would be a bit restrictive if you had a journey to make later in the day which obviously would not give you enough time to use the lounge, but I doubt they would go that far.

Muzer

Established Member
We have some Virgin Atlantic cutlery in our house - it was this beautiful metal cutlery made for first class, then 9/11 happened so they had to sell it all off ;)

Deerfold

Veteran Member
We have some Virgin Atlantic cutlery in our house - it was this beautiful metal cutlery made for first class, then 9/11 happened so they had to sell it all off ;)

We have some rather nice BA cutlery bought around the same time.

Back on topic, I've been enjoying using the loung at Kings Cross as I now have an annual East Cost lounge pass.

I did notice that the closing times are a little earlier than noted here - 2125 on Mondays - Fridays and 2015 at weekends.

Ascot

Established Member
Many thanks for the updates. Towards the end of next week I will be going through the lounge and refreshing the times and lounges.

Last edited:

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
As promised in May ;), lounge pix at Liverpool St and Ipswich.

Note that the Ipswich lounge has a TV but no drinks. The Liverpool St lounge is unstaffed and is outside the barrier, not on the paid side.

Attachments

• DSC07783.jpg
    DSC07783.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 73
  • DSC07786.jpg
    DSC07786.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 68