• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway General Knowledge.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
A pure guess so I’m quite pleased with that.
Next question (in a very different direction):

Three class 47s, but can you tell which company made them?
9157B03A-77D4-4860-8580-F1B437BF0C74.jpeg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I am strongly tempted to say "Brush", but... more seriously...

OK... errr... these models have obviously been very heavily detailed, which makes me suspect the answer may be that the starting point was one of the less well detailed manufacturers. So I'll say they're modified Hornby examples.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I am strongly tempted to say "Brush", but... more seriously...

OK... errr... these models have obviously been very heavily detailed, which makes me suspect the answer may be that the starting point was one of the less well detailed manufacturers. So I'll say they're modified Hornby examples.
I like your thinking but I can tell you that none of them are Hornby.
In fact they are all different makes, I’m hoping someone or yourself can guess which one is which make...

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I've been well away from modelling for years now, and I'm not sure which companies are manufacturing them these days, but I'll hazard a guess and say that 406 is Hornby and 521 is Lima. No idea about 636 - Heljan?

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I've been well away from modelling for years now, and I'm not sure which companies are manufacturing them these days, but I'll hazard a guess and say that 406 is Hornby and 521 is Lima. No idea about 636 - Heljan?
Merry Christmas Gus!
None of them are Hornby but one is Lima and one is Heljan.
Unfortunately you got them wrong though. ;)

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I like your thinking but I can tell you that none of them are Hornby.
I missed that bit.

I shall defer to those with more up-to-date knowledge. I have to say that my teenage efforts at repainting and detailing 47712 fall well short of the standard displayed in the photograph above. (I bought it in mint condition and boxed too - I might have been better off leaving it as is and flogging the damn thing on Ebay...)

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
I'm also well away from modelling, but a company that I remember making models for a good while was Rivarossi - I think that's nearly the correct spelling?

The other company that was heavily involved at that time - and still is, I think, was Peco, but I don't think that they made locos.

Anyway, that's my two'pennorth!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I’m going to give the answer and leave it open floor.
The Intercity one - Bachman
Large logo - Lima (still a decent looking model although I put the numbers on the wrong end)
NSE 47521 - Heljan

Gus was closest but got them the wrong way round.
Happy Christmas all.
Open floor

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Okay, here goes: what do Harrogate, Cambridge and London Blackfriars stations have in common?

Because I'm not going to be around for the next few days, I'll give you the answer to this as no-one has got it yet. The answer is that all three stations won their categories in the 2017 National Rail Awards -
Harrogate: Medium Station
Cambridge: Large Station
London Blackfriars: Major Station.

I referred to the "missing category" (Small Station, won by Bicester Village) in the Station Association topic, which is why I didn't include it in the question.

It's an open Awards Ceremony .... !

Calthrop

Established Member
The Baltic States have recently featured prominently in the Forums' just-plain General Knowledge Quiz. Here's a railway question re that part of the world.

In the three Baltic States' "First Independence" period (approx. decades of 1920s and '30s): where their railways were not narrow gauge, two of the three predominantly used the 1520mm / 1524mm / 5ft. gauge; the other one, 1435mm / 4ft. 8-and-a-half in. Which was the 1435mm "odd one out"?

theageofthetra

On Moderation
During WW1 the Germans changed many lines in Latvia to standard gauge which would have been in situe during at least the beginning of this era.

Calthrop

Established Member
You're warm, but not quite there. They did that thing to an even greater extent, elsewhere in that general part of the world.

Calthrop

Established Member
Lithuania was the one with mainly standard gauge, though Latvia did have some. Estonia didn't have any (I don't think)

Open floor if correct

Right -- Lithuania it was. German-occupied for most of World War I -- the occupiers converted the rail system to standard gauge. On gaining independence, Lithuania opted to stay standard-gauge -- one would speculate, because of its being the southernmost Baltic State, most contiguous to standard-gauge realms further west. Latvia was mostly Russian "5ft."gauge, but indeed had some standard gauge -- in the south of the country, connecting with the Lithuanian system. Correct, no s/g in Estonia -- between the World Wars, Estonia's (quite comprehensive) rail system was about half "5ft.", half 750mm.

As directed, open floor.

Calthrop

Established Member
As it's open floor -- one for the last day of the year. Which English line closed to passengers -- and the majority of it, to all traffic -- exactly 55 years ago; in circumstances as follows? The last trains had to contend with very heavy snow -- with the line's opening a century-odd before, having been similarly beset with awful climatic conditions, "railway weather" was a local figure of speech for such conditions.

Calthrop

Established Member
Was it the Stainmore line ?

Not that one, I'm afraid -- Stainmore much too far north, and closure date wrong by roughly a year. The line which is the correct answer did also, however, feature high moorland areas.

Calthrop

Established Member
Hint: the line which I'm seeking as an answer, had at one time a subsidiary terminal branch (abandoned a round half-dozen years before the "answer line"), which was remarkably tortuous and twisty, and ran up through high and wild country.

Calthrop

Established Member
Pre-grouping there were six railway companies which ran trains in both England and Wales. Name them.

London & North Western; Great Western; Cambrian; Midland; Great Central; Shropshire & Montgomeryshire Light.

Calthrop

Established Member
If, prior to 1951, you were travelling by rail -- main lines, most direct route -- from Bombay to Madras (in modern parlance, Mumbai and Chennai respectively): over the lines of which railway companies would you travel?

Calthrop

Established Member
Hint: pre-1951, this journey would have involved travel by two different railway companies with fine and sonorous names dating from the previous century; which at different dates in '51, became parts of the nationalised Indian Railways -- boringly called the Central, and Southern, Railways.

Calthrop

Established Member
Re the two companies referred to: as far as I'm concerned, please use whatever "search" facilities... both of said old companies have been referred to by name on RailUKForums: the "Central" one in "Photography Sites, Blogs & Videos", and the "Southern" one in "Railway History & Nostalgia".

Calthrop

Established Member
Seems that this one isn't going anywhere... the Indian pre-nationalisation railway companies concerned were: main line south-east out of Bombay belonged to the Great Indian Peninsula Railway: north-west out of Madras, to the Madras & Southern Mahratta Railway (division point between them, was Raichur).

Open floor.