• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway General Knowledge.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
It's been a day or so since we had a guess on this one, so I'm going to give you the outstanding answer.

It's the Shrewsbury, Oswestry & Chester Junction Railway; Martinsh has the floor, having got three out of six (well, five) right.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

krus_aragon

Established Member
It's the Shrewsbury, Oswestry & Chester Junction Railway; Martinsh has the floor, having got three out of six (well, five) right.

Ooh, that's a railway name I really ought to have remembered.

I guess I need to re-read my reprint of Edward Parry's Railway Companion from Chester to Shrewsbury (1849). Having quickly checked, it does mention it as one half of the Shrewsbury & Chester Railway Company, but it certainly didn't stick properly in my mind...

Calthrop

Established Member
Hearty thanks rendered to you, gracious Count Martinsh.

If I were to ask something about Ireland or (directly) narrow gauge, I'd expect to get merciless "stick" from you: so, question as follows.

Please name one venue in each of England, Wales and Scotland; where horse-haulage of passenger workings survived on a regular basis, into the 20th century. (Looking for "proper" railway or [quasi]-rural tramway scenes, as opposed to municipal tramway undertakings.)

Calthrop

Established Member
Spot-on ! Yours to harness your horse to the tram- or "dandy car", and get the right-away for the next question.

Calthrop

Established Member
I'll go again, if I may.

Which railway undertaking has or has had passenger workings named: Sunlander, Inlander, Midlander, Westlander, and (decidedly smaller fry) Savannahlander and Gulflander?

Calthrop

Established Member
martinsh, sport, shall we give 'em another hint? As indicated, the location is Australia; but that country comes in various different parts, with various different railway administrations. Hopefully the syllable which is common to all the passenger workings' names, will offer a pointer.

krus_aragon

Established Member
Australia had flitted through my mind, but the Savannahlander was pushing me toward Africa, and the Gulflander only brought to mind the Persian Gulf.

Having taken a look at a map of Australia and found the Gulf of Carpentaira, I'll take a guess that we're looking at Queensland. Is there a "Queensland Railway"?

Calthrop

Established Member
Too right, cobber: Queensland Rail, run by the Queensland state government, operates an extensive 3ft. 6in. gauge system covering wide areas of the state. The question's various named passenger services -- which tend, under those names, rather to "come and go" -- Sunlander: north up the coast, Brisbane to Cairns. Inlander, Midlander, Westlander: running far westward into the interior from Townsville, Rockhampton, and Brisbane, respectively. Savannahlander: railcar job nowadays essentially for tourists, running inland from Cairns. Gulflander: a goofy one-working-each-way-weekly railmotor service on the physically isolated Normanton -- Croydon line, indeed a little way inland from the Gulf of Carpentaria.

krus_aragon , your floor.

krus_aragon

Established Member
Something a little nearer home then:

Which tourist attraction has a bus and a cable car as its main competition for passengers?

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Name 5 manufacturers of BR first generation DMUs, besides BR themselves
I’ll go for:
Park Royal,
Cravens,
Metro Cammell,
Wickham,
Gloucester RC&W?

Last edited:

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Metro Cammell
Cravens
Pressed Steel
Birmingham RC&W
Gloucester RC&W

EDIT - Damn, beaten to it!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Metro Cammell
Cravens
Pressed Steel
Birmingham RC&W
Gloucester RC&W

EDIT - Damn, beaten to it!
Snigger. Hopefully that trip to the East Lancs Railcar gala last year wasn’t in vain...

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Thanks Martinsh.
Keeping to the theme then.
Can someone give the classes of seven BR built 1st generation DMUs?

krus_aragon

Established Member
This might be troublesome, as they first received TOPS numbers based on individual carriage types, and then again as sets. Working on the latter, i can recall:

Class 101: lingered in North Wales/Manchester for a long time
Class 108: Used on specials to Amlwch in the 90s
Class 121: The Cardiff Bay Bubble
Class 122: Long-distance variant of the 121?

Edit: Or were you after names, like Derby Lightweight, Derby Heavyweight, AEC Railcar, etc?

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
This might be troublesome, as they first received TOPS numbers based on individual carriage types, and then again as sets. Working on the latter, i can recall:

Class 101: lingered in North Wales/Manchester for a long time
Class 108: Used on specials to Amlwch in the 90s
Class 121: The Cardiff Bay Bubble
Class 122: Long-distance variant of the 121?

Edit: Or were you after names, like Derby Lightweight, Derby Heavyweight, AEC Railcar, etc?
I was more after TOPS classes that were made in BR works ie the Derby lightweight 108 like you mentioned.
Should’ve been clearer sorry