• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway jobs and inflation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clip

Established Member
And so begins yet another 'greedy railstaff' thread! :roll:

Really? 4 posts in and you deduced that from a young lad just enquiring about whether pay rises were kept up with inflation and whether or not the same applied for Network Rail.

Yet you with your infinite wisdom and foresight have deduced that this is a 'greedy railstaff' thread? I am amazed, especially because for no reason whatsoever you and another poster have gone on the offensive for no reason whatsoever about issues that had nothing to do with the OP in question.

Grown men carrying on with a massive chip on their shoulder should really know better. Answer the lads question and move on, is it really that difficult to do just that without whinging like school girls.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

notadriver

Established Member
With respect Clip I think you know as well as I do there have been some very emotive threads around rail staff salaries in the past - so naturally some are more defensive than others.

Clip

Established Member
With respect Clip I think you know as well as I do there have been some very emotive threads around rail staff salaries in the past - so naturally some are more defensive than others.

There have been, But that does not justify bringing it into every bloody thread going. The lad wanted an answer - nothing more, nothing less. You or anyone point out to me where it descended into a 'greedy railstaff' bashing thread by anyone else apart from those who got too defensive and ill eat me hat and delete my account.

notadriver

Established Member
I think thats a bit unfair simply because that means if some nasty comment is said about rail staff or their jobs or salary and they respond, then automatically they are accused of being defensive.

Beveridges

Established Member
Yes, true, I've been accused of being defensive more than enough times on here when someone dared post a nasty comment about my job (usually ill-informed at that)

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
I just think it is crazy that we live in a country where the masses have been tuned to think that pay "rises" which are below the rate of inflation is how it should be.

Clip

Established Member
I think thats a bit unfair simply because that means if some nasty comment is said about rail staff or their jobs or salary and they respond, then automatically they are accused of being defensive.

And where was this nasty comment made in this thread exactly? Before some people got all precious?

Yes, true, I've been accused of being defensive more than enough times on here when someone dared post a nasty comment about my job (usually ill-informed at that)

Again, please point out to me where the OP made any sort of nasty comment other than asking if railpay rises kept up with inflation or if Network Rail pay awards did too?

It must be there because toys have been thrown out of the pram and you are both insinuating that someone has made such comments. But alas I can not see anything in the first 3 posts before someone got on their high horse and started it all off?

Just point it out, and ill let it lie. It cant be that difficult can it?

A-driver

Established Member
And where was this nasty comment made in this thread exactly? Before some people got all precious?

Again, please point out to me where the OP made any sort of nasty comment other than asking if railpay rises kept up with inflation or if Network Rail pay awards did too?

It must be there because toys have been thrown out of the pram and you are both insinuating that someone has made such comments. But alas I can not see anything in the first 3 posts before someone got on their high horse and started it all off?

Just point it out, and ill let it lie. It cant be that difficult can it?

To be fair, this forum comes under regular troll attacks aimed at staff and so as soon as pay, unions etc are mentioned it's usually only a matter of time before all the trolls come out and start with the mindless staff attacking.

I think that comment was pre empting this. I have to admit I read the OP as going down the staff bashing route and am impressed this thread has stayed so civil so long. It's sadly all too common on this website for troll to claim rail staff are underworked, overpaid, lazy and poor at their jobs and so it's hardly surprising that people became defensive so quickly!

I'd let it lie if I were you.

Clip

Established Member
To be fair, this forum comes under regular troll attacks aimed at staff and so as soon as pay, unions etc are mentioned it's usually only a matter of time before all the trolls come out and start with the mindless staff attacking.

I think that comment was pre empting this. I have to admit I read the OP as going down the staff bashing route and am impressed this thread has stayed so civil so long. It's sadly all too common on this website for troll to claim rail staff are underworked, overpaid, lazy and poor at their jobs and so it's hardly surprising that people became defensive so quickly!

I'd let it lie if I were you.

Im well aware what happens on this forum thanks - I do read and post on it, this may have passed you by somewhat.

Why pre empt it and how could you ever have made out that the OP was going down that route? He asked a simple question - nothing more nothing less. Why can that not be answered sensibly without our resident little princess throwing her toys out of her pram for no reason whatsoever.

Ill tell you why this thread stayed civil for all of 3 posts and thats because people were respectful to the OP and answered what he was asking. Shame post 4 messed the whole thread up isnt it.

Go and give him a cuddle to calm him down would you. And dry your eyes whilst you're at it too.

GB

Established Member
455driver may have got the wrong end of the stick, but your posts do this thread no favours.

ANorthernGuard

Established Member
The trouble is history on the forum suggests quite strongly that as soon as wages are mentioned that the underlying Anti Staff attitude from a minority (and a small minority at that) rears its ugly head. Maybe 455 Pre-empting it was jumping the gun a bit but I don't want to have to defend my wages for the umpteenth time. Thats why I haven't commented. and in response to the OP's original question wages tend to go up in line or at the cost of some (so called) perk may be above.

A-driver

Established Member
Im well aware what happens on this forum thanks - I do read and post on it, this may have passed you by somewhat.

Why pre empt it and how could you ever have made out that the OP was going down that route? He asked a simple question - nothing more nothing less. Why can that not be answered sensibly without our resident little princess throwing her toys out of her pram for no reason whatsoever.

Ill tell you why this thread stayed civil for all of 3 posts and thats because people were respectful to the OP and answered what he was asking. Shame post 4 messed the whole thread up isnt it.

Go and give him a cuddle to calm him down would you. And dry your eyes whilst you're at it too.

Can't quite work out how you can get quite so upset and offended by a post, perhaps ignore it if it is going to wind you up so much.

There's actually a lot more to life than nitpicking peoples posts on a train spotting forum. Calm down a bit.

Clip

Established Member
Can't quite work out how you can get quite so upset and offended by a post, perhaps ignore it if it is going to wind you up so much.

There's actually a lot more to life than nitpicking peoples posts on a train spotting forum. Calm down a bit.

Really? It seems thats pretty much a hobby on here - nit picking others posts.

If we're going to pre empt things then , does that mean cos I have a ncie butchers block of knives at home I am going to go out and stab someone just because it has happened before? No.

And you're right GB, my posts do not help, they were perfectly written to not help the situation to show how stupid this thread quickly became after only 3 posts before someone was perfectly stupid in what they wrote for no reason.

The simple fact is, is that none of you should have to feel like you have to defend your wages on here after the first 238756134 threads about it. Its quite an odd concept, granted, but if you ignored it and let those who have a chip on their shoulder about what you or anyone else on the railway gets paid then the threads will die a death very quickly.

There is no need to bite, there is no need to pre empt anything either.

The lad asked a question in all innocence, there is nothing to pre-empt, just answer and move on. Its rather simple you know.

A-driver

Established Member
Yes - the op asked a question and you seen to have boiled over about it! Not a big deal, if calm down a bit if I were you.

1e10

Just to clear up any confusion, I asked here because I am currently in education and looking at my next options. There are endless opportunities any routes to take for someone in my position so I wanted to find out some more here.

Sorry if anyone took offence to my post and seen it as bashing your wages. You all do wonderful jobs and deserve every penny you get, it's a shame other industries in this country don't appreciate their staff as much as the rail industry does in respect to wages/remuneration.

Thanks all for the responses given :)

the 'average' wage quoted at 26k is the Median average wage ...

as for ' no one i nthe North earns the average wage ' - other than Teachers, Health professionals ( nurses, midwive,s Paramedics , phyisos, OT etc) , a lot of 2nd line managers in many settings (

TDK

Established Member
the 'average' wage quoted at 26k is the Median average wage ...

as for ' no one i nthe North earns the average wage ' - other than Teachers, Health professionals ( nurses, midwive,s Paramedics , phyisos, OT etc) , a lot of 2nd line managers in many settings (

And railway staff ;)

Beveridges

Established Member

Nothing the OP said

455driver

Veteran Member
Really? 4 posts in and you deduced that from a young lad(1) just enquiring about whether pay rises were kept up with inflation and whether or not the same applied for Network Rail.

Yet you with your infinite wisdom and foresight have deduced that this is a 'greedy railstaff' thread? I am amazed, especially because for no reason whatsoever you and another poster have gone on the offensive for no reason whatsoever about issues that had nothing to do with the OP in question.(2)

Grown men carrying on with a massive chip on their shoulder (3) should really know better. Answer the lads question and move on, is it really that difficult to do just that without whinging like school girls. (4)

(1) How do I know its a young lad posting the question?
(2) Where have i gone on the defensive?
(3) Look in the mirror for who has the chip on their shoulder.
(4) Oh grow up! :roll:

I am actually quite surprised how on track this thread has remained but now you have joined in it has descended into the gutter.
You are the one with the chip on the shoulder sunshine (maybe you should ask to change the second letter in your username to reflect the fact ;)) and need to go and get some stress relief so let me know your bank details and i will send you £100 to spend on a lady of your choice*.

* I can afford this as my pay rises have been ahead of inflation due to the surrendering of conditions! ;)

455driver

Veteran Member
1E10 Sorry if my earlier post upset you half as much as it did Chip oops I mean Clip, it wasnt intended but threads like this normally go straight into the 'why are they getting a payrise when I dont, they must be greedy' direction.

This one hasnt much to the credit of most of the posters and basically the answer is that because the railstaff have strong unions (with most staff being members of said unions) they are able to negotiate decent payrises normally (but not always) aided by the staff accepting changes to their conditions of service which mean that the company can get more work out of the staff helping them get back some of the payrise in increased productivity.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
You earn far too much money! ;)

I would just like him to go and get £$+%#? and I dont mind paying for it! ;):lol:

notadriver

Established Member
I'll clip ooops i mean chip in for that too 455driver. Might mellow him out a little.

455driver

Veteran Member
He is allowed to have a dig because I know him (and he wont buy me a coffee if I upset him ;)), you are not so sod off!

carriageline

Established Member
Them drivers are on easy money, we all know that the decisions are made by, and the railway is ran by the signallers ;)

Beveridges

Established Member
An easy job does not always mean easy money. If a job is not challenging then boredom can become very difficult to deal with.

455driver

Veteran Member
I'm fairly certain 'jay_g' was joking actually...

He was!

Of course just because the signalman sets the route it doesnt mean the driver will move the train, or that the guard will give the driver the tip, or the fitter fix the brake fault which would otherwise mean the train wouldnt move etc etc.

Anyway you look at it we all have to pull together in the same direction to make the (railway) machine work.

TDK

Established Member
He was!

Of course just because the signalman sets the route it doesnt mean the driver will move the train, or that the guard will give the driver the tip, or the fitter fix the brake fault which would otherwise mean the train wouldnt move etc etc.

Anyway you look at it we all have to pull together in the same direction to make the (railway) machine work.

Similar to Formula 1 the driver always gets the glory and the others are just not noticed ;)

SkinnyDave

Established Member
Similar to Formula 1 the driver always gets the glory and the others are just not noticed ;)

Red Bulls 4 championships have a lot more to do with Adrian Newey than the driver :) I digress

Status
Not open for further replies.