• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rambling Roebuck... (Trip Reports)

ash39

Established Member
Good stuff, nice to meet you today. I knew you were on our 319 to NLW but didn't realise you'd joined us on 175009 as well!

Similarly to you, I was some way off the pace in terms of winning the challenge, but I had a good red pen day on a personal level.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
Good stuff, nice to meet you today. I knew you were on our 319 to NLW but didn't realise you'd joined us on 175009 as well!

Similarly to you, I was some way off the pace in terms of winning the challenge, but I had a good red pen day on a personal level.
Cheers. I'll do another one idc. Has a South Pennines Day Ranger one been done in the past?

Sounded like a good day in Manchester :)

It wasn't bad, but boy was it cold!

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
Not much to report recently.

Did a GM Ranger and picked up a couple of shacks in Moses Gate and Orrell (+55 at the latter, pouring very cold rain, but a very pleasant cafe five minutes to the north helped pass the time). Then went to the Piccadilly/Stockport area in search of a winner, but nothing about.

Then last Saturday an out-and-back to Peterborough for a quiz, with the inevitable 158863 taking me there, and 158788 (last had 15 years earlier, from Manchester to Nottingham) back.

Kite159

Veteran Member
I'm surprised you didn't escape Orrell by using a bus to Wigan. Handy Co-Op located a few minutes walk away as well, but agreed it isn't the nicest place to hang around when cold (due to the station being in a cutting).

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
9/2/18 - "It stuck to diagram, then".

Regular readers of this section of the forum will know that the noble Lord Spoon Goon of this parish has recently been chasing a certain locomotive, finally tracking it down on 8/2/18 according to his excellent trip reports. This inspired me to change my plans for this Friday, and chase it myself, as it was also a notable gap in my list of haulages.

So the morning saw me up at an early hour, and walking across Rochdale for a bus to Bolton. The reason for this is that a Lancashire Day Ranger is not valid on weekdays until 08:45, and 08:45 at Rochdale is not much use if you want to be in Preston at 10:00! So a bus it was; and First Manchester threw out 37431 for this - still going strong, unlike its English Electric numbersake...

The bus deposited me at Bolton at 08:50, and the Ranger was purchased. First move of the day was the obvious one, up to Preston on 156459 + 156441. Signal delays south of the station caused a slight twinge of anxiety, but we arrived only a couple of minutes down, so a swift trip outside for a ciggie, and a glance over the wall to platform 6 served to confirm that a certain loco had, indeed, stuck to diagram.

Quietly boarding the Mark 2 behind the loco, I awaited the off. And it was a good "off", with power being put down quite hard as winner 37424 (none of this 558 nonsense here) set off for the Cumbrian Coast. Alas, my Ranger was of the Lancashire variety, so after a good run up the WCML, pauses and raucous starts at Lancaster and Carnforth, and a good view of most of the West Coast Railway Company's fleet at the latter, I got off at Silverdale, end of Lancashire and therefore the end of the line for me.

Still, at least it was a required shack. And had a barrow crossing. And was quite pleasant in the cold, wintry sunshine for a few minutes until 156444 turned up to return me to Carnforth. Here, there was a connection into the Leeds train, so I dived through the subway and boarded 144001, for a trip to another required shack at Wennington. This was pleasant, with a nice bridge and river, fine views across to a snow-capped Ingleborough, and two signs on the road which seemed to suggest the station is actually in Tatham. But it was also bloody cold, so 142068 was a welcome sight to return me to Lancaster.

By now I was starving, and decided on a trip to Wigan 'Spoons for fish and chips. High mileage 350407 whisked me swiftly back there, and suitable sustenance was swiftly sought. Then, back to the station and 319364, which was going to take me to a shack score at Thatto Heath, but ran behind time so the connection was missed, therefore I remained on to Huyton.

Back from here on 319365 for another try then. This deposited me nicely at winning shack St Helens Central, but the information screens here suggested a cancellation and some delays, so I adjourned to the Royal Alfred across the road for a Bud Light. Beer consumed, I returned to the station and decided to head straight to Liverpool, with 319386 doing the honours.

Downstairs to the Wirral Line, and the first three trains didn't produce a winner, so dud 507008 on the third took me round to Central, and then equally dud 507021 took me out to Kirkby, for a shack score. But not a line score, despite its status as a terminus - the line being scored in the early 1970s on a first generation DMU, from Bolton to Liverpool Exchange!

The train I took was deliberately chosen to connect with the Wigan train, and here a glorious surprise awaited me. None other than the recently transferred and very winning 150124, freshly up from cider country and with all traces of mangel-wurzels removed and a strong smell of clean upholstery. This was taken through to a winning shack at Upholland - cold, not much there, but only 15 minutes before 150111 + 142039 returned me westward to another winning shack at Rainford.

This is a much nicer place (as it ought to be, sharing a name with an Egghead as it does) with a nice pub (The Junction) which had excellent Doom Bar and also sold Lion Bars. So nice, in fact, that I abandoned plans to return via Wigan and waited an hour for the next Kirkby train, which was curiously formed of 150147 and 156441, the latter for the second time today but with a different partner. They were also about 12 minutes late.

However clouds have silver linings, etc, and the late running pair meant my connection from Kirkby was another winner in 508136. This was taken to Moorfields, dud 508117 round the corner to Lime Street, and a nice connection on to 185149 for a fast run across Chat Moss to Manchester Victoria. Where I arrived in time to pick up my stalker for the day, 156441, and its partner in crime 150147, which had trundled all-stops from Kirkby in the interim, for a trip to Castleton and some Lilleys Fruity Cider to end the day...:)

That was a decent day out, fraught at first until the 37 was scooped in, then a relaxed tour of the County Palatine, with three winners and six new shacks being fair reward for the usual leisurely effort.

Next up, the ELR gala next week (hopefully). 56006 is a potential winner, and my plans are to have a do on everything running.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Ooh 56006 is very much required! Gutted I don't have the funds to do it, what with spending money this morning on travel for my forthcoming holiday!

A most productive day for you there, and 37424 is needed here. I haven't had a 37 in many months!

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
Ooh 56006 is very much required! Gutted I don't have the funds to do it, what with spending money this morning on travel for my forthcoming holiday!

A most productive day for you there, and 37424 is needed here. I haven't had a 37 in many months!
Just had the news this morning that 56006 is poorly, and won't make next week's gala...:'(

Well Mr Roebuck I also got off 37424 at Silverdale and also (obviously) returned via 156444. I didn't fancy the connection onto the 144 at Carnforth so went to Lancaster instead. I did notice it was held so presumably it's a booked connection so therefore the norm. Perhaps you were the chap occupying the small shelter with myself and the young lady? Or maybe the polite chap who let me onto the 156 before him?

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
Well Mr Roebuck I also got off 37424 at Silverdale and also (obviously) returned via 156444. I didn't fancy the connection onto the 144 at Carnforth so went to Lancaster instead. I did notice it was held so presumably it's a booked connection so therefore the norm. Perhaps you were the chap occupying the small shelter with myself and the young lady? Or maybe the polite chap who let me onto the 156 before him?
Possibly the latter. I stayed out of the shelter. Brown jacket and black woolly hat...:)

The connection at Carnforth is booked, I think. Certainly both trains are timetabled to spend six or seven minutes there.

Established Member
Glad I inspired you Roebuck, even more so when you roped in 37424 too.
Certainly a very productive day, on the units and shacks.

Enjoy the ELR gala. Tried to get time off for it but couldn't engineer the time off sadly.

djpontrack

That was a good day out with a few interesting destinations. I too was on 37424 from Preston. I had got it earlier from Carnforth to Preston and then after a quick trip to McDonald's, I took it all the way to Barrow.

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
16th February 2018 - Fareway to Heaven?

Another Friday, another day off. So another trip out, naturally.

Today's target was shack-clearance par excellence. Any winners would be a bonus! First up was a trip to Spoons for a sausage breakfast roll, then off to the bus station to acquire a GM Wayfarer (a nice, flimsy thing, specifically designed not to work the barriers at any station). Then tram 3087 up the hill to Rochdale station, for a smart connection onto 158755 for a spirited run to Victoria (14 minutes, start to stop, not bad at all!) Tram 3006 then trundled me across town to Piccadilly, where a newspaper and water were acquired.

The first train of the day started 11 minutes late (awaiting driver), which rather pleased me as I had a decent fester at my first shack. And it was a lovely day for a bimble through the Peak District with winter sunshine enhancing the scenery. There were still traces of snow on the tops as we traversed the Hope Valley, picking up and setting down many cold hikers enroute.

Arriving at Grindleford, I paused on the bridge to watch 66538 rumble through on a cement train, then hit the local (and extremely popular) station cafe, for coffee and a cake. Then I returned to the station, watched 185117 head to Manchester, then superstalker 158863, with 156470 as ballast, heading for Nottingham, before 150150 returned from its brief visit to Sheffield and collected me again. Returning westwards, the cement trucks had already been taken up the branch at Hope, so 66538 had joined its fatter colleagues 66608 and 66614 in the sidings.

Half an hour or so later, I departed the train at New Mills Central (visited several times in the mid-eighties bashing 31s!), then girded my loins for the walk across town to the second new shack of the day, New Mills Newtown. Down a steep slope, across a footbridge, then turn right through a mill car park, cut through the back streets and bear right - 12 minutes, a record for an overweight middle-aged smoker...:)

And what turned up here? None other than freshly-dud and still polished 150124, running a minute early and therefore taken through to shack 3, Chapel-en-le-Frith. A sign here apparently said "Home of Frodo", until I looked more closely, then it was over the level crossing to pick up 156424, for a downhill run to the two-hourly served shack 4, at Middlewood. Now some stations have inappropriate names - Alexandria serves a Scottish council estate, rather than a bustling seaport; The Berney Arms was not a Berni Inn; Blackpool Pleasure Beach isn't enjoyable, except by masochists - but Middlewood more than lives up to its name, being in the middle of an, erm, wood! :) Anyway, I scratched a bit of the erstwhile Macclesfield to Marple Rose Hill route for walkage whilst crossing to the other platform.

156483 made a timely arrival, on my last foray of the day up the Buxton line, shack 5 being Whaley Bridge. Which has a nice old-stylee footbridge, and also a defunct pub called the Jodrell Arms, which made me smile in view of my plans for the rest of the day. Someone with a greyhound got off here - about the fourth one I'd seen today. Obviously the dog of choice in Derbyshire. Anyway, the PIS here indicated four coaches for the return, so presumably 150124 had picked up a partner in Buxton...

...it had, arriving with 150204 attached. This also appears to have been refettled recently, being very pleasant inside. The pair were taken to Stockport, as it was Now Time for Something Completely Different. "Hola! ¿Dondre este servicios, senor?" is included at this point in order not to disappoint those who, contrary to tradition, were expecting a Spanish Inquisition :) Arrival at Edgeley was on time, enabling a +4 onto the 15:17 to Crewe to be made with ease.

323235 was the steed for this, which was on time, however a late running pendo wanting to overtake caused a diversion into Platform 1 at Alderley Edge (common from the North, not so usual to depart south over the crossover, though) before a peaceful run across the flatlands and past the definitely-not-defunct Jodrell Bank (which incidentally seemed to be pointing towards Whaley Bridge rather than far distant galaxies) as far as shack 6 at Goostrey.

This is a rather remote and peaceful location, at least until 70015 blatted through Trafford Park bound, on a liner. A 175 rattled south, a squirrel ran across a tree branch opposite me, then a light appeared at Holmes Chapel (the line is dead straight, and the next station is clearly visible), indicating that 323237 was on its way to rescue me - and as it arrived 70006 blatted through southbound, again on a liner.

It was only a short leap on 323237, as Chelford was also a required shack. 29 minutes here, so I had a walk, noticing enroute that the old sidings south of the station (a former oil or bitumen terminal?) are now a housing estate. There's more here than at Goostrey, including a Chinese greengrocers/convenience store, where I found a bar of chocolate and bag of crisps lurking among the pak choi. Returning to the station, a couple of pendos whizzed past, then 323236 took me through to Holmes Chapel, where I'd been before.

In comparison with the previous two, this is a thriving metropolis, with an uber-posh looking pub called The Swan right next door. However I only had a plus 14 here so, shockingly, desisted on this occasion, instead awaiting 323229 to take me north to my penultimate new shack of the day, at Handforth.

Much more suburban hereabouts, but a +6 meant that The Railway Hotel was spotted but not visited. Anyway, it serves Robinsons beer which is, imho, rancid! Then 323230 became the fifth of the class for the day, with a run out to Alderley Edge, stopping in the correct, up, platform this time. Fifteen minutes here gave time for a smoke and a mooch, then time for the last shack. Or so I thought. Winner 319384 (when did that come north?) turned up on the direct service to Manchester, so was caned in to Wilmslow! :)

A stroll through the subway here, and 323236 (returning from Crewe) sped me swiftly to the last new shack of the day, the awkward and limited service Styal. This was quiet and deserted (one other person got off) and I was glad that my fester was no more than 13 minutes. It was another repeater for the day, 323235, which eventually took me back to Wilmslow and civilization.

Cross platform interchange here, and potentially one of Beardie Branson's finest, of which a still need a few. But not 390013, which rolled me through the darkness back to Piccadilly. Then to the trams. 3006 to Victoria. 3092 to Oldham Mumps (baled due to lack of wifi, and finishing sudoku). 3064 + 3088 to Shawn Crompton. 3087 home.

Not a bad day at all, if a tad cold!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Looked like a good couple of trips there.
Shame about 56006, should still be a cracking gala though.

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
Been tempted by the Megabus. £14 return Manchester to London, leaving in the small hours of Thursday morning, arriving back Saturday afternoon. Commodities brokers are already stockpiling red ink in preparation...:D

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
Been tempted by the Megabus. £14 return Manchester to London, leaving in the small hours of Thursday morning, arriving back Saturday afternoon. Commodities brokers are already stockpiling red ink in preparation...:D
And then bowled out, not to say blown away, by last night's football result...:)

OK, so Megabus possibly sacked (certainly the outward journey!), accomodation booked (£21 for two nights, excellent value, single room at hostel on the New Kent Road).

Journey down will be via coach IF Rochdale FC offer free or heavily discounted travel; otherwise its bouncy-bouncy on a super-off-peak 350 from Stoke...

Up the Dale!

Kite159

Veteran Member
Just be careful Megabus doesn't have a policy of automatically cancel the return leg if you are a no-show on the outward leg. £10.50 a night for a single room is excellent value for London, might I ask which hostel (so I can keep it in mind for future)?

(and hopefully you don't end up on a luxurious 350/2 from Stoke to Euston)

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
Just be careful Megabus doesn't have a policy of automatically cancel the return leg if you are a no-show on the outward leg. £10.50 a night for a single room is excellent value for London, might I ask which hostel (so I can keep it in mind for future)?

(and hopefully you don't end up on a luxurious 350/2 from Stoke to Euston)
Will check with Megabus, but probably irrelevant anyway, I think I'll do the Stoke option in any case as a return is £1 more than a single, and a Rochdale supporters club coach is festooned with more anoraks and cheese sandwiches than any spotters special that's ever run.

Hostel is the Rest Up, on the New Kent Road - nearest station/tube Elephant and Castle.

Established Member
Enjoy the Wembley experience, was a great result and a few more coins in the clubs coffers from the replay.

A few winners on both fronts again, as usual an excellent read, must admit I had a chuckle at.....and now for something completely different, however I was expecting the next unit was a dead parrot.:D

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
Enjoy the Wembley experience, was a great result and a few more coins in the clubs coffers from the replay.

A few winners on both fronts again, as usual an excellent read, must admit I had a chuckle at.....and now for something completely different, however I was expecting the next unit was a dead parrot.:D
Cheers LSG.

Need to source a ticket for the match (£10 - nice one Spurs:) ). Transport will be the 350 option from Crewe.

Just had a look at off peak fares from London to Cambridge - very tempted by an Anglian day of shack and 37407 (if its not burst yet) scratching on the Friday...

Keith Jarrett

Meanwhile, back on the ranch ....

Seriously, the New Kent Road will not be the same again following your visit. If you are using E&C tube, the Northern Line exit will save you traversing the ex-roundabout to access the NKR. Likewise, the speediest exit from E&C Thameslink will be via Elephant Road and not the shopping centre (unless your swinging by Tesco). ER runs alongside E&C Thameslink on the easterly side. As for supplies, there is a very quiet Sainsburys on the NKR at the junction with Elephant Road.

Enjoy the trip and we'll look forward to all the gorey details of your antics.

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
Meanwhile, back on the ranch ....

Seriously, the New Kent Road will not be the same again following your visit. If you are using E&C tube, the Northern Line exit will save you traversing the ex-roundabout to access the NKR. Likewise, the speediest exit from E&C Thameslink will be via Elephant Road and not the shopping centre (unless your swinging by Tesco). ER runs alongside E&C Thameslink on the easterly side. As for supplies, there is a very quiet Sainsburys on the NKR at the junction with Elephant Road.

Enjoy the trip and we'll look forward to all the gorey details of your antics.

Thanks for the local gen, Keith. Very useful re Sainsbury.

You may wish to warn your neighbours that my provisional thoughts include making a visit to St Helier some time on Thursday evening (thinking of doing my missing shacks on the Sutton roundabout last that day, as can easily finish at the Elephant!)