• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rambling Roebuck... (Trip Reports)

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
Adumbrated Trip Report for London, 28/2 to 2/3 2018

(I ran into an old friend - Hi Rob - yesterday, who said he was looking forward to my trip report. I'm a bit busy at the moment, so some snippets will replace the usual verbosity...)

Megabus down to London. Well done, for minimising the disruption due to the weather, by hiring in extra coaches and drivers. Arrived about 30 minutes late which was excellent in the circumstances.

SWR - some good fun picking up shacks and 456s. I do like the 707s, which recharge phones twice as fast as anything else I've tried.

GWR - 387s quite good fun, and comfy. Must be frustrating to have your main line blocked by burst Heathrow tat at frequent intervals...

London Midland - well done for getting me home on the Friday. Compared with 2+3 pacers, 350/2 aren't bad at all.

GNR. 313s seem impervious to Eastern Beastliness, with a pretty full service being run. And thanks for making sure I got several winners.

Chiltern. Thanks for being kind to the idiot who hadn't realised the 11:36 from Paddington no longer stops at Ruislip :oops:

Thameslink/Southern - decent attempt to run a sevice. 700s could do with plug sockets.

South Eastern. Rubbish - if Southern can run a service, why the inwards towel-throwing??

St Helier. Thought it was my thousandth shack (NR). However Cwmbran must have been so forgettable that I forgot it, so No. 1000 turned out to be the bleak and windswept Sutton Common instead...:oops:

Rest-up hostel. Friendly and clean. Would stay again.

(Football haters look away now....)

Wembley Stadium - who built the thing on top of a hill with the next high ground to the East being the Urals! Still trying to thaw out!

Rochdale, Tottenham, both players and fans. Well done - two great games and the better team just about won 6-1....:D

That's it!

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Keith Jarrett

Adumbrated Trip Report for London, 28/2 to 2/3 2018

(I ran into an old friend - Hi Rob - yesterday, who said he was looking forward to my trip report. I'm a bit busy at the moment, so some snippets will replace the usual verbosity...)

Megabus down to London. Well done, for minimising the disruption due to the weather, by hiring in extra coaches and drivers. Arrived about 30 minutes late which was excellent in the circumstances.

SWR - some good fun picking up shacks and 456s. I do like the 707s, which recharge phones twice as fast as anything else I've tried.

GWR - 387s quite good fun, and comfy. Must be frustrating to have your main line blocked by burst Heathrow tat at frequent intervals...

London Midland - well done for getting me home on the Friday. Compared with 2+3 pacers, 350/2 aren't bad at all.

GNR. 313s seem impervious to Eastern Beastliness, with a pretty full service being run. And thanks for making sure I got several winners.

Chiltern. Thanks for being kind to the idiot who hadn't realised the 11:36 from Paddington no longer stops at Ruislip :oops:

Thameslink/Southern - decent attempt to run a sevice. 700s could do with plug sockets.

South Eastern. Rubbish - if Southern can run a service, why the inwards towel-throwing??

St Helier. Thought it was my thousandth shack (NR). However Cwmbran must have been so forgettable that I forgot it, so No. 1000 turned out to be the bleak and windswept Sutton Common instead...:oops:

Rest-up hostel. Friendly and clean. Would stay again.

(Football haters look away now....)

Wembley Stadium - who built the thing on top of a hill with the next high ground to the East being the Urals! Still trying to thaw out!

Rochdale, Tottenham, both players and fans. Well done - two great games and the better team just about won 6-1....:D

That's it!

Another forum member manages to sneak up (or down) the Wall of Death without giving me enough notice to roll out the red carpet! The abridged report though definitely gives a good flavour of your activities. And well done for managing to get shack number 1,000 in the book, even if it was the competition just down the road.

Last edited:

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
23/3/18 - Northern Roving part 1.

The day started with a rather noisy run over to Bradford on 150134. A walk across the city, 333014 up to Keighley, then an unexpectedly spiffingly refurbed 150274 to a winning shack at Hellifield.

Nice cafe here, but only time for a coffee before 158872/794 pitched up for the long haul through to Carlisle (scenic and interesting as far as Appleby, but a bit dull down the Eden Valley).

A beer break at the William Rufus (weird choice of name, did the original ever get to Carlisle?) then an hour's pleasantly raucous shovage from 37403 through to a winning shack at Parton.

Sadly, the Dollywood-on-Sea theme park had yet to be built here, therefore 30 minutes was spent sheltering from the breeze and admiring the view of the Isle of Man, Galloway, Cairnsmore of Fleet and lots of wind turbines before winner 68017 turned up to trundle me back to Carlisle. As the LHCS set was being taken out of service here, I sourced some chips and regrouped.

The next Euston was a few minutes late, but was a bonus walk-on winner in 390156. This was taken to Oxenholme, then a short ride on a poorly-sounding 185130 up to Kendal. This looks well worth exploring, but I only had time for a raid on the off-licence for some mintcake before returning to Oxenholme on the same sickly unit.

Next came a decent run down to Preston on 221106, then Brucie (RIP) Bonus number two, with winner 185144 (only two more to go) turning up to take me to Salford Crescent.

Whatever turned up here to take me to Manchester Vic was so dull it remained unrecorded, but traction back to Rochdale was semi-detatched dogboxen 153351/359.

A pleasant, relaxing day.

Last edited:

Keith Jarrett

Mr Roebuck

https://www.jdwetherspoon.com/pubs/all-pubs/england/cumbria/the-william-rufus-carlisle tells us that it was William Rufus, son of William the Conqueror, who restored Carlisle to the English kingdom. Rufus entered the city through Botchergate. The long-demolished gateway has given its name to today’s street – Botchergate. So hopefully this answers your question and you'll now bank the additional knowledge for your next quiz night!

Back to the bashing, and sounds like a great day out. By the sounds of things, 37403 was on form keeping you awake before the joys of Parton brought you back to reality.

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
Mr Roebuck

https://www.jdwetherspoon.com/pubs/all-pubs/england/cumbria/the-william-rufus-carlisle tells us that it was William Rufus, son of William the Conqueror, who restored Carlisle to the English kingdom. Rufus entered the city through Botchergate. The long-demolished gateway has given its name to today’s street – Botchergate. So hopefully this answers your question and you'll now bank the additional knowledge for your next quiz night!

Back to the bashing, and sounds like a great day out. By the sounds of things, 37403 was on form keeping you awake before the joys of Parton brought you back to reality.
Ah yes, forgot about Rufus commissioning Edgar the Atheling to go and sort out Donald Bain. A good way of getting a potential rival out of the way, and also stopping him teaming up with Robert Curthose/Henry (later the) 1st/Robert of Belleme in Normandy...

Day 2 is today, so heading off imminently to the wilds of...;)

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
Been out today, and had forgotten I hadn't finished the Rover report.

Will do that first, hopefully tomorrow! :)

Established Member
Another great read Mr Roebuck and look forward to the rest. 37s and 68s for haulage, by christ, I'm getting a severe case of Green Eyed Move Envy here.

Reading everyone's reports ain't helping either, it's a bit like having a fear of flying but sitting down to watch Air Crash Investigation the night before you fly off to Benidorm for a fortnight. I just can't help myself.

As for the History lesson, I'll bow down to your superior knowledge guys.

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
Running later than a 142 on the Flying Scotsman, here's some more North Wezt Roving from March... :)

Second day of my Rover was Wed 27th March, with the plan being to head back to Cumbria. Tram 3031 up the hill to the station, then 158793 from Rochdale to Manchester V was a decent enough start, then it was rattle and roll time on 142055/046 (dual Mersey discomfort) up to Preston, and mixed pair 156423/153315 up to Lancaster.

I was quite pleased with 185139 on the trip through to new shack Dalton, as it was recorded as dud but whatever move I was on to score it has been mislaid. I was less pleased at Dalton to find a train had been cancelled, although it was a pleasant enough spot to wait for the 185 to return for a run to new shack Kents Bank - a lovely, quiet rural spot.

From here, due to the cancellation, it was a long run round the coast on 156461, all the way to a new shack at Harrington (bleak and misty), where I intercepted winner 68018. This was taken through to Corkickle, for a spot of Tunnel Thrash courtesy of 37403, to Carlisle.

Here, I was in time to intercept the Glazgow to Newcastle service, which produced winner 156502, taken to new shack Brampton. Which is in the middle of nowhere. However 156484 rescued me and returned me to Carlisle without too much drama.

Basically straight home from here - 350408 (for the wifi) to Preston, mixed mediocrity with 150119/142062 to Victoria and 158755 for the nth time up to Rochdale.

Last edited:

Established Member
Later than a 142 on the Flying Scotsman. Brilliant line.
As usual.a good read Roebuck. I still need to get over n do the cats on the Cumbrian Coast. All this new timetable shenanigans, cancellations and strikes, has kinda put me off risking going out for the Cumbrian turns sadly. I remember the days when the summer timetable was eagerly anticipated by us all. How would they cope adding extra trains to and from the likes of Yarmouth, Newquay, Eastbourne, Scarborough and Blackpool on a Saturday.
Mental really.

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
Thanks, guys. Here's day 3!

29 March 2018 - North West Rover day 3 (on a Northern strike day)

OK, so 2 days left of validity on rover and 2 days to use them. Unfortunately, Northern had a strike day today. What to do??

First was a walk up to Rochdale station, then my first use of bay Platform 4 here, with 142028 + 142012 trundling me down to Manchester Victoria. Not much happening here, but 185143 was my savior, with a fast trip over to Liverpool, where non-Northern services were available. Time for a shack-scratching mini-frenzy, then.

Downstairs to the Low-level and 508143 took me through to Shack 1, Wallasey Grove Road. Here, I took the short amble back to Shack 2, Wallasey Village, for the same unit back to Birkenhead North. 507030, which I thought was a winner, but turned out not to be, took me through to Shack 3 at Leasowe for a PNB, then 507006 to (4) Hoylake, the same unit back to (5) Meols, dud 507021 to (6) Manor Road before winner 507028 back down to Bidston, where I changed for the Borderlands line and good old Great Western, noting however that the stations on the West Kirby branch were all pleasant and tidy.

First chariot was 150252 to Shack 7, Neston - where I picked up some grub from the handy supermarket. Then 150242 up to (8) Upton - not much here, but not a long wait. The same unit was taken back down to (9) Hawarden Bridge, which has a big bridge and a spiced-up ned wandering round - fortunately not on the track. 150252 soon returned, though, and I headed up to Bidston. Time to cross the river, now, and see if any more winners were out on the Northern Line....

The reappearing 507006 took me to Moorfields, dud pair 507015/008 to Sandhills, no obvious winners were about - so I set off to clear the shacks on the Ormskirk line. First up was 507033 to Shack 10, Old Roan, then pair 508124/137 to (11) Orrell Park, solo 507017 back to (12) Aintree (sad to see the remains of the former excursion platforms used for the Grand National (and British Grand Prix, if you're old and/or a quizzer)), then 507007 + 508114 up to (13) Aughton Park, my final required (open) shack on the branch. The same pair took me back to Moorfields, then dud 507012 round the corner to Lime Street, and I decided to head for home.

Upstairs, therefore, and an EMT service with a 156 (of which is still need a few) was awaiting departure. Sadly, 156403 was dud, but it thrashed along fairly gamely behind 158783 to Manchester Piccadilly. Here, I logged on to the free wifi at the Accessorize shop on the concourse to check for trains home. And found there were none, due to the strike. What to do? Bus? Tram? Walk along the Rochdale Canal towpath??

The answer was - None of These!. Friday 30th was a bank holiday, my rover was therefore valid from midnight, so an overnight won. Half past eight is a bit early for an overnight, though, so first was a fill-in move for a completely random shack. 185127 spun me back to Liverpool South Parkway, where I went downstairs. I then took 507020 up to Shack 14, Brunswick - my last Merseyrail shack west of the Mersey. 507008 took me back to Liverpool South Parkway, where I had an anxious time as the last train back to Piccadilly was shown as "delayed". Fortunately, this only amounted to 15 minutes or so, and 185145 returned me safely to Piccadilly, before the midnight witching hour. Now at this point I had no money - however my salary was due in the bank on 30/3/18. From past experience it normally becomes available at about 1am, however this time it had appeared when I made a hopeful check of the ATM at 00:18. And, my unused holiday pay for the 2017/18 financial year had been added. Bingo!

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
It's been a long time coming but here, finally, is Day Four of the North West Rover.

The early morning of 30th March 2018 saw me at Manchester Piccadilly, with a tax rebate to spend. Like Baldrick, I formulated a cunning plan… :)

First up was some kip. This Friday was Good Friday, hence my Rover had no time restrictions applying. And TPE run overnight services across the Pennines. So 185134 was taken on a run to Leeds (via Castleford), for a 20 minute break and then 185136 back again. An hour or so festering at Piccadilly, then serial stalker 350407 inevitably turned up for the run to Carlisle on the first Glasgow service of the day.

I grabbed breakfast here, then bought a return to Glasgow. Voyagers are marginally less rancid than Pendolini, and have more plug sockets, so 221118 was chosen for the run up to Glasgow Central.

First thing here was to acquire the local roundabout ticket for the day. Then for some South Side Shack Scratching. Winner 320314 took me to (1) Crosshills, then dud 314209 to (2) Pollokshields East, winner 314211 to (3) Mount Florida, dud 320314 to (4) Queens Park, winner 314210 to (5) Whitecraigs, 320413 to (6) Muirend, dud 314203 to (7) Patterton and 314210 to (8) Williamwood, thus completing the Cathcart Circle and Neilston branch Shacks.

I then had a walk, 20 cold minutes uphill to (9) Clarkston, where I just missed a train and then had a sense of humour failure when dud-from-Monday 156502 turned up to take me in to Glasgow.

Time for lunch, so winner 380021 took me to Paisley Gilmour Street for a Wetherspoons Fish and Chip dinner, then dud 314214 back, and I decided to switch to the low level and the North of the Clyde.

Nothing going West for 10 minutes when I arrived at the Low Level of Central, so dud 318252 was taken to Argyle Street, then winner 318254 heading dud sister 318265 to (10) Yoker. Another winner in 318255 took me to (11) Garscadden, then 320308 made it three-in-a-row to (12) Clydebank.

Time for a walk again, via the shopping centre and up the hill to (13) Singer. From here, it was dud 318270 to Hyndland, where I stepped back one service to dud pair 334040 + 334025 to (14) Charing Cross (Glasgow), equally dud 334014 to (15) High Street and returning newly - dud 320308 to (16) Barnhill.

Time to start working my way back to Central, now, and winner 318266 was welcome for the trip to (17) Bellgrove. Dud 318256 followed up through to Hyndland, whence dud 334005 led winner 334032 for the insect leap to Partick and a final winner in 320307 appeared for the run back to Central.

Upstairs here, grab some grub, and settle back on the inevitable 350407 for the long ride home.

Not a bad day, but in hindsight I should have chased 314s rather than shacks.

And so ended the Rover - 4 days to complete and six months to write up!

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
That was a nice little trip out my friend, and you even bagged a Spoons i've yet to visit!
Cheers Rob. Scored the Barum Top in 'Fax on Saturday - cold cooked breakfast - scheit.

And further Spoons score today, The Ash Tree in A-U-L.

Last edited:

Skymonster

Established Member
Oooo - collecting Spoons, that's a new one on me, but maybe one I could be very tempted to take up.
And all these places in Jockland - I must get my head around those sometime. Good reading about your voyage...

Keith Jarrett

Oooo - collecting Spoons, that's a new one on me, but maybe one I could be very tempted to take up.

There's plenty of folk on here who "collect" Spoons. OK I have a few to my name (47 to be precise, including a couple of closed ones) but I can think of at least one illustrious soul of this parish (noddy) who has nigh on the lot if not all of them. My tally will increase once I give up being a wage slave and have a great deal more of that valuable commodity called free time

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
A Spin for the Solstice.

A tax rebate, and six days off. What to do - London. Two nights Travelodge booked at Feltham, but no suitable cheap advances meant the slow train to and from Crewe to keep costs down.

So the morning of the 21st saw me heading up to the station on Tram 3019, down to Victoria on 156443+150205, across to Piccadilly on 3007/3017 and down to Crewe on 175007, consuming a meal deal from Boots enroute.

350260 was the first winner of the trip, as far as Stafford, then 350107 was the first annoying dud of the trip taking me down to Euston. Here, I did my usual get-out-of-the-station-for-a-cig-whilst-heading-somewhere-useful trick of walking across to Euston Square. Met to Great Portland Street, then two Hammersmith trains running at a 1 minute headway meant that Ladbroke Grove and Goldhawk Road were soon scored, clearing the Circle/Hammersmith Shack.

Dropping down outside Goldhawk Road I discovered a busy thoroughfare, with many buses heading west. I always like a bus ride in London and so jumped on the 237 for a ride to Gunnersbury, confirming on the way that Turnham Green does indeed have a rather pleasant green. Back on N the rails, and back on the S8? stock down to Richmond. From here, I headed Feltham wards, with duds 456023/455872 leading winner 455739 as far as Twickenham, then annoying dud pair 458811/818 out to Feltham, where a polite ginger Australian lad soon had me booked in to the Travelodge.

Back to the rails, and the theory was to head east, to pick up some shacks and possibly the odd 315. So firstly it was winning pair 458510/458517 to Clapham Junction, then solo running winner 377130 in to Victoria. From here it was the District Line to Upminster, with 8 winners and two duds taking me to and from the new shacks at Bromley-by-Bow, Upton Park, Upney and Elm Park. Dud 315807 then took me up to Romford, where the fun started.

And almost immediately stopped. There was a farce due to a broken train at Maryland, and delays and cancellations were rife. Winner 315851 and dud 315844 took me to Ilford, and winner 345011 (the first of these I'd sampled) as far as Stratford, where I decided to cut my losses. The tube was working well, so I did a linear bash to Bank, stepping back one service at each intermediate station, scoring 13/16 on bits of Central line stock in the process.

From here I headed south. A winning Northern pair took me to London Bridge for a pnb, then 465019/465187 were sampled for the short run to Waterloo East. I then went over to the main station, where I spotted a flight of winners due to leave in succession. So it was 455867/455721 to Earlsfield, 456001/455855/455717 on to Wimbledon, then 455707/455724 on to a shack score at Tolworth.

I had a look at buses from here, but there seemed nothing sensible, so I waited for the 455s back to Wimbledon, then struck fairly lucky with 455716/455912/456014 back to Clapham Junction. Then homewards, with 707023 to Wandsworth Town, 707019/707008 to Richmond and 458510/517 reappearing for the last leg to Feltham.

Last edited:

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
A case of out of the black and firmly into the reds, sounded like a very good day there, I eagerly anticipate the 2nd part.
Thanks LSG.

Should be updating the report on Thursday or Friday next week - a week off before Christmas = 7 days on over New Year...

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
22/12/18 - London Day 2

The day began well with required mobile phone chargers 707007/027 appearing to take me in to Clapham Junction - I didn't muck about stepping back at Richmond as SWT had industrial action that day. Instead I decided on a quick spin on Southern. Another winning pair in 377433/124 took me out to East Croydon for a Minor spot of Shack scratching.

This started with more winners in 377610/626 as far as Purley Oaks, then the run of winners came to an end as 377615’s partner was 377703 for the third time (and still the only 377/7 I've had) as far as South Croydon. Incidentally, for those who just like “watching the trains go by”, both Purley Oaks and South Croydon are good for watching the expresses go past. This idyll was ended by 455818, which took me back to East Croydon, then 377162 to Clapham Junction and 377440/131/161 (I wasn't sad, ‘cos two out of three ain't bad) into Victoria.

Downstairs to the tube here, for a winning pair on the Victoria line up to Finsbury Park, for a 313 hunt. First, though, was a shack score, with duds 313037/018 up to Winchmore Hill (which, as observed outside the station during a smoke break, is quite steep) whence 313060 and winner 313027 rescued me for a run back to Alexandre Palace.

A very necessary pnb was taken here (along with a lager, which rather defeats the object) at the pub across the road. The presence here of various Arsenal fans in fancy dress (and a couple of Burnley fans who, being good Northerners, eschew such nonsense) reminded me that time was getting on, so after watching 08441 doing a spot of carriage marshaling at the South end of Bounds Green depot I headed off on 313059 and winner 313056 to Old Street, a required shack by virtue of my having visited Essex Road twice in the past having forgotten where I'd been!

Back to the Underground now, specifically to pick up the five shacks needed on the Edgware branch of the Northern Line, which on closer inspection had more HB than the Pencil Museum at Keswick. So I set off Norrard, calling at Belsize Park and Brent Cross on the way to Burnt Oak, then Hendon Central and Hampstead on the way back. And a very pleasant session it was too - I do like the overground bits of the Underground, while 8/10 Northern half-sets were winners.

I returned to Tottenham Court Road, having no record of previous visits there which were in the early 80s, then changed to the Central Line, going to Liverpool Street via a step back at Chancery Lane (visited Oct 1994, but unrecorded also) in order to score 6/8 of Central quarter sets.

Upstairs at Liverpool Street, 345xxx on both waiting Shenfield services, so I decided on a 12-car 321 rake on a Sarfend Vic service, walking along it to check for winners. 321424 at the back was good, 321431 in the middle likewise; however 321402 at the front was the first one I ever has, from Rugby to Birmingham New Street back in 1993! I used the run to Stratford to make up my mind what came next.

Option 1 was to remain on the train, buy a Zone 6 to Prittlewell return, and score the latter shack (and possibly others on my return) as well as Roots Hall whilst watching Rochdale get their annual beating by the Shrimpers. Fun, but cold and expensive. And after freezing at Wembley last February, I was wary...

Therefore Option 2 was taken - clear the DLR shacks.

My route was Stratford; Pudding Mill Lane (short overall roof reminded me of Bad Ems in Germany, but nothing like as scenic); Langdon Park (which has an adjacent park); Poplar (junction designed by kid with wooden starter train set); East India (prosperous businesses); West Silvertown (high on a viaduct); Canning Town (important Interchange, first visit here was on a 313 from North Woolwich); Custom House (Interchange for Crossrail, due to open in the year 2525); Royal Albert (no sign of Pub); Beckton Park (no sign of Park); Gallions Reach (no sign of tall ships); Cyprus (too dark to see the Troodos Mountains); Prince Regent (no Blackadder or Baldrick) and Royal Victoria (who wouldn't have been amused reading this, albeit she did score the GWR kettle “Phlegethon” from Paddington to Slough or Windsor in 1839).

Here, I departed the DLR for a while, having noticed some intriguing swaying lights! I walked across to the Emirates Airline terminal, but a flight to Dubai being out of my price range, I settled for scratching some new cable, across the water to the Dome.

I do like cable cars. Not as much as chairlifts - nothing beats the sound of silence several hundred feet above an Alpine Valley, broken only by the “kudunk, kudunk, kudunk, KUDUNK” as you pass a pylon. But the Emirates Airline is still a good wheeze, although daylight had just about faded. Anyway, I enjoyed it, as did half of the couple from the environs of West Bromwich who shared Cabin 15 with me for the trip. I suspect, however, that the greenish complexion of his partner meant that their return trip was by another route.

As was mine - down to the Jubilee Line for a half winning set back to Canning Town. And back to the DLR, this time calling at Blackwall (more office blocks); Poplar again; Canary Wharf; South Quay (office canteen opposite the viaduct doing a good trade); Island Gardens (visited the old station, presumably this one is new since its underground) and Cutty Sark, where I went for some grub (Fish and Chips at a nice cafe round the corner, and found out that, purely because I could have gone but didn't, Rochdale's last minute goal gave them their first win at Southend since about 1985… :) )

Replete, I returned for the last leg of my DLR quest. Back under the Thames, via Mudchute (rusty rails on the bay platform), Heron Quays (good view of Canary Wharf station's layout) Canary Wharf again itself and finally completing the DLR shacks at the home of the tenor bell immortalised in rhyme for her indecisiveness, Bow Church, arriving their on a winning pair of units which brought my DLR red pen total for the day to 33.

Flushed with success, I now became blase and got it wrong. Specifically I turned right instead of left outside the station,nearly revisited Pudding Mill Lane and eventually arrived at Bromley-by-Bow for the second time in 24 hours. Never mind, a quick trip west scored me Bow Road, then it was eastbound to visit Plaistow, East Ham and finally my penultimate District shack at Dagenham Heathway (incidentally, not bad for watching the passing C2C trains, had it been daylight - and also not bad were the four winning S8 stock Pairs involved). The next pair though were dud, so taken to Barking to sneak a winning 357.

357042 “Essex Princess” duly obliged, as far as West Ham, then I was tempted by winning pair 357002 “Essex Explorer” and 357202 “Essex Lady” heading east, so killed two birds with one stone and went as far as Dagenham Dock for a final shack scratch of the evening. Dud 357039 “Essex King” then took me back to Fenchurch Street.

Here, I attempted to find Tower Hill underground, but somehow found Monument instead. Two more dud S8 Pairs took me to Richmond, via a change at Earls Court, then strike-struck SWR took me back to Feltham with last winner 456002 dragging 455866/712 to Twickenham and familiar duds 458518/511 completing the day. I returned to the Travelodge and crashed out, immediately.

I totted up 76 winners and 32 shack scores at the time, and am not going back through the above to recount!

Day 3 will follow.

shredder1

Established Member
A Spin for the Solstice.

A tax rebate, and six days off. What to do - London. Two nights Travelodge booked at Feltham, but no suitable cheap advances meant the slow train to and from Crewe to keep costs down.

So the morning of the 21st saw me heading up to the station on Tram 3019, down to Victoria on 156443+150205, across to Piccadilly on 3007/3017 and down to Crewe on 175007, consuming a meal deal from Boots enroute.

350260 was the first winner of the trip, as far as Stafford, then 350107 was the first annoying dud of the trip taking me down to Euston. Here, I did my usual get-out-of-the-station-for-a-cig-whilst-heading-somewhere-useful trick of walking across to Euston Square. Met to Great Portland Street, then two Hammersmith trains running at a 1 minute headway meant that Ladbroke Grove and Goldhawk Road were soon scored, clearing the Circle/Hammersmith Shack.

Dropping down outside Goldhawk Road I discovered a busy thoroughfare, with many buses heading west. I always like a bus ride in London and so jumped on the 237 for a ride to Gunnersbury, confirming on the way that Turnham Green does indeed have a rather pleasant green. Back on N the rails, and back on the S8? stock down to Richmond. From here, I headed Feltham wards, with duds 456023/455872 leading winner 455739 as far as Twickenham, then annoying dud pair 458811/818 out to Feltham, where a polite ginger Australian lad soon had me booked in to the Travelodge.

Back to the rails, and the theory was to head east, to pick up some shacks and possibly the odd 315. So firstly it was winning pair 458510/458517 to Clapham Junction, then solo running winner 377130 in to Victoria. From here it was the District Line to Upminster, with 8 winners and two duds taking me to and from the new shacks at Bromley-by-Bow, Upton Park, Upney and Elm Park. Dud 315807 then took me up to Romford, where the fun started.

And almost immediately stopped. There was a farce due to a broken train at Maryland, and delays and cancellations were rife. Winner 315851 and dud 315844 took me to Ilford, and winner 345011 (the first of these I'd sampled) as far as Stratford, where I decided to cut my losses. The tube was working well, so I did a linear bash to Bank, stepping back one service at each intermediate station, scoring 13/16 on bits of Central line stock in the process.

From here I headed south. A winning Northern pair took me to London Bridge for a pnb, then 465019/465187 were sampled for the short run to Waterloo East. I then went over to the main station, where I spotted a flight of winners due to leave in succession. So it was 455867/455721 to Earlsfield, 456001/455855/455717 on to Wimbledon, then 455707/455724 on to a shack score at Tolworth.

I had a look at buses from here, but there seemed nothing sensible, so I waited for the 455s back to Wimbledon, then struck fairly lucky with 455716/455912/456014 back to Clapham Junction. Then homewards, with 707023 to Wandsworth Town, 707019/707008 to Richmond and 458510/517 reappearing for the last leg to Feltham.

A good report, I love London, always so much to do. On keeping costs down, why don`t you use the hostels, especially if you are like me, up and out early and late back at night. I recently stayed in the Safestay hostel at Holland Park, Kensington, a nice area and great hostel, part of a chain I use across Europe, £11 to £15 for a night and a 5 minutes walk from Holland Park underground station, very central.