• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rapid deployment driver - Freightliner

Status
Not open for further replies.

ANDYLEEDS

I have just seen freightliner on their careers website have posted a new train driver role. I am just wondering if anyone knows more about the role than just the job advert says?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheEdge

Established Member
From what I've heard through the jungle telephone these are a very highly paid driving position (85k+extras) but its almost like being on call, sent wherever, whenever for however long they need you at very short notice.

Well paid but they want blood.

ANDYLEEDS

From what I've heard through the jungle telephone these are a very highly paid driving position (85k+extras) but its almost like being on call, sent wherever, whenever for however long they need you at very short notice.

Yeah I imagined they'd want to get their moneys worth put of you. It's a shame on the all the adverts on the website that they don't have an email to get anymore info on it.

sargentsiri

Contact Matthew Workman, head of operations (north) according to an advert I have seen. I do have a contact number for him but PM it you would like that, as I'd rather not display on a forum

Tyrion

Contact Matthew Workman, head of operations (north) according to an advert I have seen. I do have a contact number for him but PM it you would like that, as I'd rather not display on a forum
I have phoned him with no reply as yet.

Yeah I imagined they'd want to get their moneys worth put of you. It's a shame on the all the adverts on the website that they don't have an email to get anymore info on it.
It’s a 2 year contract and at end you can either extend or go back to base depot on heavy haul conditions.

Last edited:

Class2ldn

Must admit I have been looking at the similar role for gbrf , this one has different locations so im wondering if the areas you'd go to would be a bit more limited if there's different drivers around the country.
If anyone finds out more can you pm me please or similarly if you have any info on the gbrf role too.

ANDYLEEDS

Must admit I have been looking at the similar role for gbrf , this one has different locations so im wondering if the areas you'd go to would be a bit more limited if there's different drivers around the country.
If anyone finds out more can you pm me please or similarly if you have any info on the gbrf role too.
That's what I was kind of thinking as well, theoretically they can send you anywhere but if there is a guy at a closer depot they send them, so for instance the Ferrybridge one could be more yorkshire and north east based

Tyrion

Hiya,

There are just using the locations so they can post the vacancies but it is near enough identical to the GBRf one. If they don't have any work for you for a few weeks you would be a heavy Haul driver at your nearest location..

ANDYLEEDS

I think between the two companies I'd go with freightliner as I believe it's still final salary pension with them and not with gbrf. Although I'm not totally sure.

Class2ldn

Yeah but after 24 months what if they want to put you back on 25k less as a HH driver, not going to go down too well is it.

Signal_Box

GB are trying to sell a very similar role. Railway tramping without the lay-bys and crapping in a plastic bag !

ExRes

Established Member
Yeah but after 24 months what if they want to put you back on 25k less as a HH driver, not going to go down too well is it.

If it didn't go down too well then it means that the person hasn't read the job description, it's pretty clear what could happen after two years so that's a major consideration for people to think about on applying

Tyrion

On the guff that he sent that's the deal.
You can either continue as a RDD or go on FL HH conditions they are up front on that.
You are on the HH salary from the start the other £25k is made up of allowances.

Signal_Box

I do wonder how you’d be expected to retain huge amounts of route knowledge across significant areas of the network?

driver9000

Established Member
I do wonder how you’d be expected to retain huge amounts of route knowledge across significant areas of the network?

From what I understand they want Drivers to babysit trains inside possessions where route knowledge isn't needed. Sounds like you'll be living out of a suitcase permanently in uniform.

Class2ldn

On the guff that he sent that's the deal.
You can either continue as a RDD or go on FL HH conditions they are up front on that.
You are on the HH salary from the start the other £25k is made up of allowances.
Made up of what though? Gbrf is 74k and 15k allowance so not sure what they'd need to spend 25k on or whatever the difference from base salary is

Last edited:

Tyrion

I do wonder how you’d be expected to retain huge amounts of route knowledge across significant areas of the
Made up of what though? Gbrf is 74k and 15k allowance so not sure what they'd need to spend 25k on or whatever the difference from base salary is
is the GBRF one not a 41 hour week hence the bigger basic?

he said it was lodge allowance, di and assessor iirc

ExRes

Established Member

Maybe it's made up of what Freightliner think they need to offer, if it's financially viable for them then that's what they'll pay, what GBRf offer is of no consequence

Class2ldn

Well it is in a way when its a similar job.
Always good to compare to see what works out the better package.
The pension is a bonus for a start at freightliner

Established Member

AIUI HH is mid £50s basic, so maybe they felt they needed to offer a bigger increase to compete with similar mobile roles elsewhere?

The pension is a massive benefit, though, compared to (say) ROG who have previously offered roles like this for big money but no pension.

Ayahusca

You'd have to be nuts or using it as a last chance saloon, like going to ROGs etc. You'd be in the same hotel as the current SVG (special volunteer group) drivers who are earning over £100k doing exactly the same job with better t&cs. For the most part it would be lodging at Acton to cover Mendip work around London, Sussex and Anglia.

Mbay

You'd have to be nuts or using it as a last chance saloon, like going to ROGs etc. You'd be in the same hotel as the current SVG (special volunteer group) drivers who are earning over £100k doing exactly the same job with better t&cs. For the most part it would be lodging at Acton to cover Mendip work around London, Sussex and Anglia.
What is the SVG?

Status
Not open for further replies.