• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Reading Buses to operate some local buses in Slough

Status
Not open for further replies.

overthewater

Established Member
Do theses buses have leather seats or wifi etc? that might be enough to push off Courtney

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Non Multi

Do theses buses have leather seats or wifi etc? that might be enough to push off Courtney
Going from the artist's impression they might use the Scania Omnicities that they had (or similar) on the Vodafone Newbury route/s. They should focus on cheap fares and frequency to get bums on seats, First did little of either in Slough. Fancy seats, USB, WIFI is of little comfort if the next bus is over 45 minutes away. I'd expect Thames Valley to have contactless payment, which First still don't do here.

Courtney have had very little interest in Slough, with only the hourly councils supported route 53 (Bracknell Forest, RBWM, Bucks CC) to Wexham Park Hospital that bypasses Slough town centre.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Between 2001 and 2004 I lived on the route of the 76 Maidenhead - Slough via Burnham (which then became the 5). I'd have loved to have been a regular user, but it started after I needed to be at the station to commute to London and finished before I returned in an evening. They doubled the frequency with the introduction of the 5A along a slightly different route, but didn't expand the operation earlier or later. They've now shortened the route so it no longer serves the area I lived in.

When I lived there they had recruitment notices up looking for drivers, with no evening or Sunday work required (which suggested they had no interest in running any more buses at those times). One bus on the 76 took a different route between Maidenhead Bridge and Burnham to serve a local school. There was no mention of this in the timetable. Even after I mentioned it.

There were a handful of innovative routes paid for by other organisations. First's promotion of them was dismal.

Non Multi

...I'm a little surprised RB might be going with large single deckers (as seen on the preview of their new livery), given it may take time to persuade potential customers to use buses again. Courtney mostly use Solos/Solo SRs or similar for Maidenhead, Windsor and Bracknell.
Looks like they will be using Solos then... Solo SRs leased from Dawson Rentals... that were previously leased to Courtney!

MartRDG-tweet-TVbus-11-1-18.jpg
source: https://twitter.com/MartRDG/status/951491148283072512

Non Multi

An update: Royal Borough of Windsor & Maidenhead have secured replacement contracts for routes 10/11 and 15 for when First withdraws after 20th January - operator to be announced later (although Martijn Gilbert has confirmed on his Twitter feed that it isn't Reading Buses).

Press release: www3.rbwm.gov.uk/news/article/213/replacement_bus_routes_will_better_connect_communities

TL;DR:
The routes were procured by Heathrow with the RBWM council and its highways partner Project Centre:
  • Route 2 (Courtney buses) starts 30 January 2018 and now run from Dedworth, via Windsor, to Slough.
  • Reading Buses ('Thames Valley') will also operate a Route 2, commercially from Dedworth, via Windsor, to Slough.
  • Route 10 (Courtney) starts 20 January 2018 and now run from Dedworth, through to Heathrow Terminal 5, via Windsor, Datchet, Sunnymeads, Wraysbury and Poyle.
  • Route 15/15A (Courtney) starts 20 January '18 and now run from Maidenhead through to Taplow, Dorney, Eton Wick, Eton and Slough.
Personally, I'll benefit from being able to travel to Windsor from Taplow (by walking over the Windsor bridge from Eton), without going via Slough or Maidenhead using the extended 15/15a.

Anthony ross

I'm beginning to think that the only reason Courtney are operating the 2as well is they could possibly feel threatened by reading buses operating into there area

Non Multi

I'm beginning to think that the only reason Courtney are operating the 2as well is they could possibly feel threatened by reading buses operating into there area
The route 2 that Courtney will run was a contract awarded by Heathrow/Windsor & Maidenhead council, presumably as part of the package of new financially supported bus routes. RB management felt that a commercially operated route 2 would be a viable proposition for their new Slough operation.

I think both operators are here to stay, but the Heathrow funding will eventually dry up for the supported routes (as it normally does over time). When that happens, I'd expect Courtney to withdraw their 2, if RB are still running route 2 commercially.

Hophead

Established Member
Not so sure the Heathrow funding is short-term. They have every incentive to reduce the airport's carbon footprint and traffic impact. Ensuring that airport-based staff have public transport options will certainly form part of that.

Staff working at Gatwick can buy a reduced rate local Travelcard, for which I presume the airport provides a subsidy.

Wirewiper

Interesting that the 10 will now operate to Windsor and Dedworth instead of Slough. I am sure this recreates a link that was withdrawn several years ago.

Wirewiper

Blimey, that's a real shift-changeover-times-only service for Heathrow!

I assume the Bracknell journeys are purely live positioning journeys (Courtney are based in Bracknell these days) rather than a serious attempt to compete with the 702.

Whilst I appreciate the desire for it all to be operated as economically as possible, the resulting timetable is rather bitty and I suspect that Reading Buses, if they operate a clockface timetable on their route 2, will pick up a lot of custom.

Non Multi

Personally, I'll benefit from being able to travel to Windsor from Taplow (by walking over the Windsor bridge from Eton), without going via Slough or Maidenhead using the extended 15/15a.

Had a look at the new timetable, 2 direct buses out and 2 back to Dorney and Eton (for Windsor), 6 days a week. I'm happy with that.

317 forever

Established Member
At this rate Berkshire will soon be a Reading Buses / Courtney duopoly. The most likely exceptions are Arriva and maybe Carousel services to/from High Wycombe.

Non Multi

The competition on Route 2 will be fascinating: a highly regarded operator that's got minimal experience of the local area, versus an established local operator that has had no previous interest in operating commercially on the route.

---

Preview of the Thames Valley livery, Solo SR:
Thames_Valley_livery_Jan201.jpg

source: twitter.com/MartRDG/status/952305527769456641

Last edited:

overthewater

Established Member
I know where the smart money would be going, and its not the established local cowboy....

317 forever

Established Member

Hornet

Had a look at the new timetable, 2 direct buses out and 2 back to Dorney and Eton (for Windsor), 6 days a week. I'm happy with that.

Lunch in the Palmers Arms, or a short walk up the road to my old drinking hole at the Pineapple, for a dinner time drink, when i'm next home then. Beats the Moon & Spoon in Slough. Result.:D

Anthony ross

Even with council support on the 2 Courtney must be feeling the pressure of another operator coming to there area

Wirewiper

Lunch in the Palmers Arms, or a short walk up the road to my old drinking hole at the Pineapple, for a dinner time drink, when i'm next home then. Beats the Moon & Spoon in Slough. Result.:D

There doesn't seem to be any facility for people in Dorney and Eton Wick to go shopping or visit appointments in Maidenhead, unless they go the long way round via Slough.

I would have had all buses operating back and forth by the same route, rather than a panhandle. Bath Road doesn't need more buses.

Wirewiper

Non Multi

There doesn't seem to be any facility for people in Dorney and Eton Wick to go shopping or visit appointments in Maidenhead, unless they go the long way round via Slough.

I would have had all buses operating back and forth by the same route, rather than a panhandle. Bath Road doesn't need more buses.
It's not ideal, but there's the opportunity for Eton Wick and Dorney residents to shop at the various retail parks on the Bath Road, west of Slough town centre without the need to change bus. It's an improvement on the supported 63/68 'country route', a legacy service probably from the NBC Alder Valley MAP era (explained in this link).

I'd disagree with you on the 'Bath Road doesn't need more buses', 3 buses per hour on route 4 (Maidenhead-Slough) would be a big improvement. But with First in Southampton in charge, it's more likely to go the other way!

Non Multi

Thames Valley buses - times & fares: http://www.reading-buses.co.uk/thamesvalley/

I'm surprised that they're only running 1 bus per hour on the 2. I can't see many folks waiting around for a Thames Valley route 2 with Courtney's half-hourly offering, even with Courtney's non-clockface timetable. The fares on the 5 are comparable with First's, which is slightly disappointing, IMO. There's limited value in a 'day ticket' without the expansive network of routes as there is in Reading.

RB should bring back the hourly 191 (Slough - Windsor - Ascot - Bracknell), to compliment the 702. IIRC, First (run from Southampton) withdrew the 191 and nearly withdrew the 702 from Bracknell in return for losing the bus war against Courtney. Courtney didn't want to take it on when they won. Even in the early 2000's it was a regular and frequent double deck route. All gone.

Non Multi

I cant see this adventure lasting long.
I wouldn't write off Reading Buses, or Courtney for that matter. They seem to be here to stay. Remember, it's the lilac buses that are disappearing.

The main fact that you should take from the Route 2 'bus war' is that RB are quite prepared to run bus routes commercially in Slough, not just the Slough Council contracts. First's management in Southampton have no one to blame but themselves when RB and Courtney poach their passengers.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I wouldn't write off Reading Buses, or Courtney for that matter. They seem to be here to stay. Remember, it's the lilac buses that are disappearing.

The main fact that you should take from the Route 2 'bus war' is that RB are quite prepared to run bus routes commercially in Slough, not just the Slough Council contracts. First's management in Southampton have no one to blame but themselves when RB and Courtney poach their passengers.

Quite - I'm just glad that this time there's a chance of someone picking up the pieces after First withdraw.

Busaholic

Veteran Member

I see on another thread (First Kernow) that First in Southampton are withdrawing from all school/college services in that area, so another retrenchment.

Non Multi

I see on another thread (First Kernow) that First in Southampton are withdrawing from all school/college services in that area, so another retrenchment.
It's quite a sorry situation. First Berks (Beeline) increased its profits last year, yet they're shrinking the business and seem committed to 'managed decline'. Sad.

Wirewiper

Courtney Buses is operating an interim timetable on the 10 only from 20th to 28th January, as the 2 is not withdrawn until a week later. It isn't clear if the 2 changes on the 29th (which is a Monday so would make sense) or the 30th! Courtney Buses and Reading Buses both state that they will be operating the 2 from the 30th - while First says "withdrawn from Friday 29th January!". Monday 29th could be interesting in Dedworth ....

Also First makes no mention of any replacement services - for the 5, it merely says "to travel along the Bath Road, please use service 4."

Status
Not open for further replies.