• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Reading Buses to operate some local buses in Slough

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
It's quite a sorry situation. First Berks (Beeline) increased its profits last year, yet they're shrinking the business and seem committed to 'managed decline'. Sad.

The way I read it was that they increased their Operating Profit largely because they'd reduced their mileage, and their staff, before the passenger numbers fell away quite dramatically.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Robertj21a

On Moderation
Yes, because drivers, fitters and support staff potentially losing their jobs is something to cheer about, clearly. :rolleyes:

I doubt that fresh jobs are difficult to find in the Slough/Heathrow area. You never know, the actions of First may well do them all a favour.

Non Multi

The way I read it was that they increased their Operating Profit largely because they'd reduced their mileage, and their staff, before the passenger numbers fell away quite dramatically.
I'm assuming management at First knew the September 2016 changes had already increased profitability before they committed to axing their 2, 5, 10/11, 15 this winter.

Reading the local news articles online (Slough Observer, Slough Express), it seems First went looking for financial support from the borough councils (RBWM, Slough) for the struggling routes, but their requests were ignored - why would they require support when the business is profitable.

Last edited:

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
I'm assuming management at First knew the September 2016 changes had already increased profitability before they committed to axing their 2, 5, 10/11, 15 this winter.

Reading the local news articles online (Slough Observer, Slough Express), it seems First went looking for financial support from the borough councils (RBWM, Slough) for the struggling routes, but their requests were ignored - why would they require support when the business is profitable.

Business being profitable is different from routes or journeys being viable.

Surreyman

Yes, because drivers, fitters and support staff potentially losing their jobs is something to cheer about, clearly. :rolleyes:
I accept your point but given Sloughs location and staff turnover I don't think it is very valid in this instance.

Non Multi

Business being profitable is different from routes or journeys being viable.
They had a near monopoly on bus services in Slough. From Saturday, that's gone.

Retain a few poor performing routes, deal with the viability issues and keep competition out... Or do you axe the routes, and let into Slough two successful rival operators, one of which has already driven you out of two nearby towns in the last 15 years?

Wirewiper

First made a decision to pull out of Bracknell, but to say they were "driven out" is probably overstating it somewhat.

Surreyman

They had a near monopoly on bus services in Slough. From Saturday, that's gone.

Retain a few poor performing routes, deal with the viability issues and keep competition out... Or do you axe the routes, and let into Slough two successful rival operators, one of which has already driven you out of two nearby towns in the last 15 years?
The 2 rival operators are taking up routes under contract to Slough Borough Council, First are giving up these routes which they currently operate on a commercial basis, this is now a universal practice across the UK. (A cynic might say it follows a predictable path, Operator announces cuts/Service withdrawals, usually, (but not always) The 'Public' protests via local media, sometimes local councillors or MPs make a noise, the local council makes some noises and, depending on funding and local politics, puts out tenders to provide a contracted replacement service).
I would think that the days of First acting 'strategically' to keep competitors out of an area/geographically defined market are long gone, First need to wring the last penny of profit out of their operations.
First Bus March 2017 financial results, show most off their subsidiaries making an operating profit and then in most cases making a hefty contribution to the DB pension scheme, a sensible strategy although possibly one that they may not in reality have had much choice in.

Non Multi

The 2 rival operators are taking up routes under contract to Slough Borough Council, First are giving up these routes which they currently operate on a commercial basis, this is now a universal practice across the UK. (A cynic might say it follows a predictable path, Operator announces cuts/Service withdrawals, usually, (but not always) The 'Public' protests via local media, sometimes local councillors or MPs make a noise, the local council makes some noises and, depending on funding and local politics, puts out tenders to provide a contracted replacement service).
I would think that the days of First acting 'strategically' to keep competitors out of an area/geographically defined market are long gone, First need to wring the last penny of profit out of their operations.
First Bus March 2017 financial results, show most off their subsidiaries making an operating profit and then in most cases making a hefty contribution to the DB pension scheme, a sensible strategy although possibly one that they may not in reality have had much choice in.
Not quite, Reading Transport's (T/A Thames Valley buses) route 2 is being run commercially (possibly due to a minor misunderstanding with Windsor & Maidenhead council!). Courtney's new contracts are with Windsor & Maidenhead (RBWM), Reading Transport's are with Slough for 6 months.

I'm looking forward to the new operators in town, more choice, more buses, better routes, competitive fares. I know bus wars aren't universally liked, but High Wycombe has had one for years, and fares seem cheaper there.

overthewater

Established Member
Heathrow Airport provided funding for the service, primarily for the benefit of Heathrow workers.
A few questions:

* How long is the funding for?
* Is the daytime journeys commercial?
* Would Reading buses keep an close eye on Courtney journeys to see if its worth while running commercial?

Non Multi

A few questions:

* How long is the funding for?
* Is the daytime journeys commercial?
* Would Reading buses keep an close eye on Courtney journeys to see if its worth while running commercial?
I would expect the information to be provided online by the Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead in the next 12 months or so, including the total funding provided by the council for each route. The old First Berks route 60 (routes 15 & 10/11 before being split in 2 in 2017) was given roughly £45k in subsidy together with Slough Council and Heathrow. I expect at the very minimum Courtney's Route 10 to be financially supported by Heathrow.

Looks like Courtney have had their short notice registered route 2 (Dedworth - Slough) refused by the local traffic commissioners (source: Traveline South East). VOSA site says route 2 starts on the 12th March '18 (although it may not be accurate). If true it's a right old mess, Thames Valley's hourly route 2 wins the bus war by default!

From what I've read, Reading Buses is primarily looking for contracted bus routes.

overthewater

Established Member
TC can be right gits ;) but if there is already another company running a route and there competition then TC will refuse it.

Wirewiper

Apparently Reading Buses Scania OmniCity no. 2 is transferring from Newbury to Slough for route 2. It will be losing its "Jet Red" vinyls but will gain Thames Valley route 2 branding on its base red livery. Presumably one of the Solos (195-198) will substitute when the Scania isn't available.

Non Multi

Apparently Reading Buses Scania OmniCity no. 2 is transferring from Newbury to Slough for route 2. It will be losing its "Jet Red" vinyls but will gain Thames Valley route 2 branding on its base red livery. Presumably one of the Solos (195-198) will substitute when the Scania isn't available.
As seen in Bracknell, 8/1/2018: www.flickr.com/photos/128470593@N05/38739312785/
It's no great surprise when the first TVB livery illustration used a red OmniCity (see post#30).

overthewater

Established Member
So if the passengers like Thames Valley I take it there might stick with them. I wonder if Thames will be looking to improve it?

Anthony ross

Hopefully if there gamble pays off then I think we could see quite a expansion of the themes valley fleet

Non Multi

Did it follow route 2? or 7? or to the airport?
I don't know (as I've only seen the tweets) and they don't say where they went. Unless there's routes with low tree branches, the only local height restrictions that I know of are the minor roads that go under the Great Western main line. I don't think any of their current routes here (except 702 and the route 200 Legoland shuttle) require double deckers.

Non Multi

Reading Buses have finally realised they need to provide a 'Thames Valley Buses' Slough & Windsor network day ticket, like the RB 'SimplyReading' (£4) equivalent. Priced at £4.50 adult, £2.70 child and is on sale from next week. First Berks' 'FirstDay Slough' equivalent is £5.50 adult, £3.50 child. TVB network ticket boundary is still TBA. Much cheaper than the £7 (!) RB 'Network' ticket.

Wirewiper

I don't know (as I've only seen the tweets) and they don't say where they went. Unless there's routes with low tree branches, the only local height restrictions that I know of are the minor roads that go under the Great Western main line. I don't think any of their current routes here (except 702 and the route 200 Legoland shuttle) require double deckers.

Reading Buses have said they will extend route 2 to Legoland during the Summer months. I would expect that to be double-decked especially during School Holiday periods.

Wirewiper

I saw Reading Buses Enviro200 no. 132 in Slough Bus Station yesterday, it was parked up at the back but its display was set for route 5. It is in plain white with no fleetnames so presumably a temporary loan to Slough.

Wirewiper

Reading Buses has deregistered its jetred 101 route in Newbury and cut the 102 to off-peak hours, commencing Monday 19th February. This has indirectly released the Scanias for Thames Valley - other Newbury-based vehicles are filling in in the interim. Weavaway routes 1a/1c cover pretty much the same territory as the 101/102.

Non Multi

Reading Buses have said they will extend route 2 to Legoland during the Summer months. I would expect that to be double-decked especially during School Holiday periods.
I presume they will use the open topper on route 2, as First used an open top Routemaster on the 200 a few years back.

Volvodart

Established Member
Bus registration details
Registration number PH0005856/201
Licence Number PH0005856
Variation number 1
Status Cancelled
Service number. 2, tv2
Service type Normal Stopping
Start point Slough
Finish point Dedworth
Via Windsor
Date received 12 Mar 2018
Effective date 08 May 2018
End date
Supported by subsidies? No
Local authorities covered by route Slough Borough Council
Windsor & Maidenhead Borough Council
TAOs covered by route West of England

overthewater

Established Member
That was very short lived, is there a replacements? The other company cant have put a dent in the service already?

Status
Not open for further replies.