• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Reading improvements milestones

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
More photos here - bottom of the page - taken yesterday (Good Friday).

Good pictures. Didn't take them long to smash up the old bridge, did it?
It doesn't look like the Reading I knew in the 90s.
The new bridge looks rather clinical and, well, airport-like.
Complete with forbidding gate-line.
No doubt it will look more homely when a few coffee bars have been installed!

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
And how is the "big slew" going?

If you check out webcam 02 tab 2 and zoom in to the top of the page you can see much of what's happening to the east end layout:

http://www.lobstervision.tv/nrreading02#

Quality isn't that brilliant but I'm sure it will give a reasonable idea of progress - I'm assuming that slewing and connecting the relief lines is the priority over the next couple of days, as they have the rest of the week to realign the mains across to the route through P9/10.

I believe the work at the far west of the site is not so much a slew across as bringing into use a temporary running junction beyond the new depot, (Whitehouse Jn?). The up and down mains will be using the existing relief lines all the way along past the viaduct worksite for the next year or so.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Earlier in this thread there was some discussion about whether or not the eastern underpass could be double tracked.

I happened to pass it at slow speed yesterday and noticed that at trackbed level they have installed fairly substantial concrete reinforcement along both sides, extending out from the bottom of the walls, which suggests that the width achievable at track level might have been seriously reduced in comparison to the original width.

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Just been through the station and it's amazing how much has changed since Thursday! The old bridge is all but gone, all the bridge supports, stairs and brick structures on the platforms have been levelled. At the eastern end of the station so much track is gone it looks more like a roadworks! A veritable hive of activity.

Also suprised to see the north entrance open- thought this would be on Tuesday.

TEW

Established Member
Very strange using the new bridge today, likely to be the quietest it will ever be. Only a handful of people around, all of them just having a look round, and engineers looking at the squeaky escalators.

Andrewlong

Very strange using the new bridge today, likely to be the quietest it will ever be. Only a handful of people around, all of them just having a look round, and engineers looking at the squeaky escalators.

Is it me or were the escalators on south side very slow?

Andrewlong

Standard setup on most new escalators seems to be that they run at a slow speed and increase to full only when someone steps on.

We will soon see from tomorrow when the commuting public start using the escalators in anger. North side escalator even taller and when I used it yesterday it took an eternity to get to the top!

SigTester

Was there yesterday and witnessed the last of the red-brick 1920's buildings being demolished between the old 5-8 Platforms. The remainder of the footbridge comes down next weekend. I understand the widening of platform 7 (i.e. to face the current through road) is not happening until late summer.

David Goddard

Established Member
Been up to Reading this evening having been away for the weekend and was amazed by the progress. Hard to recall how it was, and only been changed for three days!
Had a good walk round but light failing quickly so only got a few decent photos. All being well will be one for the first train at about 0330, then the up sleeper just after 0400. Too cold to venture out again for the first train but will get down later in the week.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Small blip on the horizon this morning...
from NRE:
Over-running engineering works and a signalling problem are causing disruption near Reading. There is also a broken down train near Goring & Streatley

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Standard setup on most new escalators seems to be that they run at a slow speed and increase to full only when someone steps on.

and by the sound of it equally standard in as much as in the last 12 to 18 month Notwork Rail seam to have purchased a job lot of dodgy ones from some shonky supplier and they give endless bother from day one! See multiple comments on recent installations at KGX and EDB for proof!
It would appear if these are already squeeking that a similar situation exists here and doubtless at Bam New Street too?0given how much these projects cost and given the qualitty of other equipment e.g. The now standard Stanna lifts appearing everywhere youd think they could get this correct?

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
We will soon see from tomorrow when the commuting public start using the escalators in anger. North side escalator even taller and when I used it yesterday it took an eternity to get to the top!

fiver says theyl all be opperating as fixed staircases by 19:00 :)

SigTester

Chaos this morning at the station. Not because of the overrunning problems BUT because even though there is a new CIS (Customer information System) on the platforms and on the new passenger bridge, the information conflicts between the two and also the automatic - announcements. Why don't they turn off the auto generated displays on the platforms and just have manual announcements, with the correct summary screens working, I do not know. The station may be new, but there is still no co-ordinated back-up when things go wrong. There are platform staff who have not been briefed and just look up at the platform indicators the same as everyone else, even though they display trains long since cancelled.......FGW GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER....It is not your fault the trains are distrupted....BUT IT IS YOUR FAULT YOU DO NOT RELAY THE INFORMATION TO YOUR PASSENGERS....!!!!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Chaos this morning at the station. Not because of the overrunning problems BUT because even though there is a new CIS (Customer information System) on the platforms and on the new passenger bridge, the information conflicts between the two and also the automatic - announcements. Why don't they turn off the auto generated displays on the platforms and just have manual announcements, with the correct summary screens working, I do not know. The station may be new, but there is still no co-ordinated back-up when things go wrong. There are platform staff who have not been briefed and just look up at the platform indicators the same as everyone else, even though they display trains long since cancelled.......FGW GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER....It is not your fault the trains are distrupted....BUT IT IS YOUR FAULT YOU DO NOT RELAY THE INFORMATION TO YOUR PASSENGERS....!!!!

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I was rather lucky this morning that my flight from Thailand arrived from the west of Heathrow and I had a window on the right side to get a picture.:D
http://www.flickr.com/photos/40172673@N03/8613423822/in/photostream/
That was around 0650 this morning from around 5000ft above Reading.

That's an amazing picture at an angle through layers of plastic!
It's similar to one I took on a September evening in 1993 on a balloon trip over Reading (see attachment).
That has archive value now with all the changes.

Attachments

• 1992C-80b-95P81-reading-station-balloon-23sep93.jpg
    1992C-80b-95P81-reading-station-balloon-23sep93.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 156

dysonsphere

That's an amazing picture at an angle through layers of plastic!
It's similar to one I took on a September evening in 1993 on a balloon trip over Reading (see attachment).
That has archive value now with all the changes.

Bet you were popular with White Waltham and Heathrow theres not much height around there for ballons and a lot of PPL follow the railway to White Waltham. Sorry about the thread drift.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Bet you were popular with White Waltham and Heathrow theres not much height around there for ballons and a lot of PPL follow the railway to White Waltham. Sorry about the thread drift.

There was a light northerly.
We took off from King's Meadow just north of the main line, crossed the railway and town and ended up in a wheatfield in Hampshire!
I took pictures crossing the M4 but they are just boring.
I didn't notice any planes so maybe LHR was landing from the east at that time.
What was especially lucky for the railway picture was that the westerly sun lit up the layout through the station and way out west past the triangle.
At one point there was a bright flash as all the polished rails reflected the sun as we passed the critical angle.
People on the other side got good pictures of the prison...

mr_moo

fiver says theyl all be opperating as fixed staircases by 19:00 :)

Two of four on the south side were closed off at lunchtime today (all four were operating this morning). Broken or just switched off due to light footfall I do not know, but not a good omen!

As for progress, here's some more pics, taken this morning. It's a huge change!

Attachments

• DSCN8686.jpg
    DSCN8686.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 149
  • DSCN8682.jpg
    DSCN8682.jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 135
  • DSCN8674.jpg
    DSCN8674.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 139
  • DSCN8670.jpg
    DSCN8670.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 132
  • DSCN8669.jpg
    DSCN8669.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 130
  • DSCN8666.jpg
    DSCN8666.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 130
  • DSCN8663.jpg
    DSCN8663.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 133
  • DSCN8655.jpg
    DSCN8655.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 131

SigTester

This is an email sent to FGW today......any comments welcome....... "As a regular user of Reading Station I would like to congratulate you on the wonderful new facilities opened today. However, I have an observation about the new platform A / B designations on 12-15 and the corresponding ( or not) Customer Information provided for departing trains. This morning I awaited a local service to Maidenhead on platform 15 at the "B" end only to find the three car train stop in the "A" end and this evening on return there were many passengers waiting on the "A" end of Platform 13, but we stopped all the way down at the "B" end. On closer inspection, and talking to a FGW driver, I note that there are 2,3, 4 etc "car stop" indicators along the platform, which would imply this will always be the case. i.e. London bound "local" trains (not HST which is spread over the whole platform, although the re is the opportunity to announce First class at the "A" end and Standard class at the "B "end) will always leave from the "A" end and Oxford bound trains will always leave from the "B" end. If this is the case why not announce it or indicate on the screens, that way you would avoid a lot of passengers having to unnecessarily hike up and down the platform. Previous Reading only had one staircase, so this was not an issue, but required additional sign age regarding GOLD, PINK and BLUE areas on the platform. But now a passenger needs to make a choice "A" end or "B" end and the CIS should direct them to the correct end. This can only improve your on-time running and also make better use of the facilities for passenger dispersal. I await your response eagerly. As an aside I note the the platform staff booklets do show A or B.....So why don't they tell people that...my experience today, was they did not know. I would appreciate a reasoned response."

Domeyhead

If it is purely a passenger aid (with no implication to run two services in opposite directions simultaneously) it sounds sensible and easily implemented.

TEW

Established Member
The A and B end issue was resolved today. When I passed through at around 10:00 the staff had just altered all Turbo services so they were shown as departing from A or B ends as appropriate. The CIS was going a little crazy announcing all the platform alterations.

Surreyman

Surfing the 'Net, have read confusing & contradictory info on when the various platforms are due to re-open.
Initially I thought P8-11 were due to re-open early on monday 08/04/2013.
Have found some (confusing) info which says variously that 8 & 9 only re-open on this date, 10 & 11 to be rebuilt and not re-opening until sometime in summer? or all of 8-11 rebuilt?
P7 I think, is due to be rebuilt extended out, completion date??
Another source says 'All track in and around Reading station will be replaced except P1 & 2', so presumably P3 track replaced?
Would appreciate any accurate info if you have it!

aleph_0

Based on this map:
http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/...ion Improvements/FGW-Reading-Station-Map.ashx

I thought that from Monday all platforms, except 11 and 3, would be in use. I'd assume that work on other platforms would be done systematically (so once 11 opens, they'll close, say, platform 10 instead).

Platform 7 is indeed scheduled to be built out. My understanding (not the best source, but based on the comments to this article: http://www.therailengineer.com/2013/01/08/reading-remodelling-takes-shape/ ) is that platform 7 will reopen on Monday, and close at a later point, when platforms 8-11 are all in use.

Last edited:

mr_moo

All platforms except 3 and 11 are due to re-open next Monday.

Platform 11 will remain out of use until the August bank holiday when P10 will close and P11 will open. It will then be re-built to the new alignment and re-open at Christmas 2014.

P7 will also go out of use in the August bank holiday for the widening to start. It will re-open sometime in Nov/Dec 2013. I don't know the exact date.

Re renewals, yes, P3 is to be replaced. It's already out of use. It will be relayed late this year and recomissioned at Christmas.

Status
Not open for further replies.