• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Reading improvements milestones

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unclepete

Hi All,
Now the Easter work is over, can anyone advise what's left to do platform wise & the timescales involved?

thanks,

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Buttsy

Established Member
I also notice that the signage is poor regarding the location of the toilets 'train side'.

Ironside

Hi All,
Now the Easter work is over, can anyone advise what's left to do platform wise & the timescales involved?

thanks,

Posts numbers 90-95 list the info you want, to summarise old platforms apart from 1 and 2 will be rebuilt over the next 18 months.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Hi All,

Finish off P11 as a through platform, lay track and open as up main loop. Happening between now and the August BH weekend.
Close P10 when P11 re-opens, re-lay track to final position and then rebuild the platform edge out to its final position, at higher level to correspond to P11 section already built. I reckon about 6 months work from August BH weekend, although it was earlier suggested it would take much longer.

Close P7 to rebuild it out to be a couple of metres wider. Roughly where the up main through line was, but not exactly. Starts in autumn some time, up to about 6 months work. Includes resurfacing of currently out of use P3.

Resurface P8 and P9, renew copings etc, extend P8 at west end to match P9. This will be done in sections, with 5 car train length limit at certain times. Not sure of current dates.

Complete London end canopies, and platform building work on all of platforms 8-11. Add platform canopy to P7, and final section of main roof up to the transfer deck to align with newly widened platform. (That's the reason for the white plastic sheeted side of the new southern stairs/escalator area - it's still only 3/4 the width of the final building.)

Upgrade surfaces/copings of platforms 1 and 2, and fit their new canopies. Should be possible to do this without a long closure - as was done with the 'southern' platforms, the old 4A/4B. (I'm told the foundations for their canopies are being progressed already, under those temporary boards on the platform surface.

Build new canopy over the open area in vicinity of P4, 5 & 6 where old lift, stairs and escalators will be removed.

All to be complete by Easter 2014, supposedly.

However the latest edition of NR's 'Reading Station News' leaflet does say that all station work will be finished February 2014 - how this works out if P10 is supposedly not finishing until Dec 2014 I leave open to question...

Last edited:

Unclepete

Finish off P11 as a through platform, lay track and open as up main loop. Happening between now and the August BH weekend.
Close P10 when P11 re-opens, re-lay track to final position and then rebuild the platform edge out to its final position, at higher level to correspond to P11 section already built. I reckon about 6 months work from August BH weekend, although it was earlier suggested it would take much longer.

Close P7 to rebuild it out to be a couple of metres wider. Roughly where the up main through line was, but not exactly. Starts in autumn some time, up to about 6 months work. Includes resurfacing of currently out of use P3.

Resurface P8 and P9, renew copings etc, extend P8 at west end to match P9. This will be done in sections, with 5 car train length limit at certain times. Not sure of current dates.

Complete London end canopies, and platform building work on all of platforms 8-11. Add platform canopy to P7, and final section of main roof up to the transfer deck to align with newly widened platform. (That's the reason for the white plastic sheeted side of the new southern stairs/escalator area - it's still only 3/4 the width of the final building.)

Upgrade surfaces/copings of platforms 1 and 2, and fit their new canopies. Should be possible to do this without a long closure - as was done with the 'southern' platforms, the old 4A/4B. (I'm told the foundations for their canopies are being progressed already, under those temporary boards on the platform surface.

Build new canopy over the open area in vicinity of P4, 5 & 6 where old lift, stairs and escalators will be removed.

However the latest edition of NR's 'Reading Station News' leaflet does say that all station work will be finished February 2014 - how this works out if P10 is supposedly not finishing until Dec 2014 I leave open to question...

Hi swt passenger, many thanks for that update. A great help in understands the next few months.

Surreyman

Discussed in previous post - 'All track-work except platforms 1 & 2 replaced'
Is this because the track in these platforms is relatively new?
Also, given that Newbury & Basingstoke will be electrified in the next few years, I assume platforms 1-3 will eventually be equipped with 25k v OHLE?

FGW_DID

Established Member
I noticed today, the stanchions for the OLE have started to appear on the west curve at the Reading West Jn end.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I'd suggest a possible reason is that the P1 and P2 tracks just don't need re-aligning at all, as there's no expected adjustment of those platform's positions or changes to their lengths. So if there's no other obvious reason to renew the rails and sleepers outside of the normal timescales they might as well be left as is.

Regarding electrification, I thought the timescales were such that Oxford and Newbury to Reading were to be done together? Whatever the dates, I doubt P1,2 and 3 would be treated any differently to the rest of the station, normal operating flexibility requirements would require all of P1,2 and 3 to be available for EMUs from the Westbury line, whatever the normal timetabled usage. In any case, I'm sure it's been said somewhere that the whole station and depot area will have its electrification completed independently of the overall plan, in other words it will be a finished 'island' of electrification that cannot be reached by electric stock because there are massive gaps in all directions...

nlogax

Established Member
I noticed today, the stanchions for the OLE have started to appear on the west curve at the Reading West Jn end.

How far east do the masts stretch now? Last I saw was the Easter cab video that placed them up to the Suttons Park gas holders, just before the A3290 bridge at TVP.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
It's a couple of weeks since I was along there but I don't think it has changed much. As I said in the above post (that may have crossed with your reply) I reckon the Reading Station Area project has added the electrification in their area only, and there'll be a boundary roughly wherever the eastern limit of the track alterations is - likewise in the Tilehurst direction eventually. Outside those boundaries I wouldn't expect any activity until the factory train (or trains) come on line...

nlogax

Established Member
Yep, those replies definitely crossed. Thanks for the info, that's what I suspected. Reading will be surreal for a little while as an 'electric island'.

steevp

I was through there every day last week and there doesn't appear to be anything else done on the eastern side. Some extra work has been carried out in the new depot -not sure of the terminology - but a lot of progress has been made on the wires and fittings that go between the supports (at right angles to the rail)

Ironside

A sign has now gone up in the public underpass preventing cycling. As I predicted the tunnel is not quite wide enough for two cycle lanes and pedestrians to manage. A real shame they did not build a tunnel wide enough for both.

Buttsy

Established Member
A sign has now gone up in the public underpass preventing cycling. As I predicted the tunnel is not quite wide enough for two cycle lanes and pedestrians to manage. A real shame they did not build a tunnel wide enough for both.

I think it's more down to cyclists bombing it down the slopes either side and turning into a 90 degree blind corner without seeing or thinking about pedestrians (depending on type of cyclist...)

Ironside

I think it's more down to cyclists bombing it down the slopes either side and turning into a 90 degree blind corner without seeing or thinking about pedestrians (depending on type of cyclist...)

I think it's clear that no consideration was given to cycle infrastructure or they would not have put in a 90 degree blind bend corner because of the obvious consequences you mention.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
... A real shame they did not build a tunnel wide enough for both.

They didn't actually build a 'new tunnel' though - they mostly just overhauled the existing subway, except for the furthest north section where it widens out. They increased its usable width by about 50% compared to the old setup, which had a partition wall down the centre, but they retained about 25% on the west side which was reserved for station electrical and mechanical services.

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

I think it's clear that no consideration was given to cycle infrastructure or they would not have put in a 90 degree blind bend corner because of the obvious consequences you mention.

The blind corners are not permanent. The north entrance will be approached directly from the Vastern Rd direction, and the south entrance will eventually lead out into a large open space (where the demolition work is paused until the portakabins are removed).

Last edited:

Ironside

They didn't actually build a 'new tunnel' though - they mostly just overhauled the existing subway, except for the furthest north section where it widens out. They increased its usable width by about 50% compared to the old setup, which had a partition wall down the centre, but they retained about 25% on the west side which was reserved for station electrical and mechanical services.

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

The blind corners are not permanent. The north entrance will be approached directly from the Vastern Rd direction, and the south entrance will eventually lead out into a large open space (where the demolition work is paused until the portakabins are removed).

Ok so it's probably fair to say that Network Rail have done a good job of reusing the old tunnel and covered the requirement to have a public right of way across the station. It's just a shame that a cycle path could not have been included, which is probably Reading Borough Councils fault more than NR.

BrownE

I think it's clear that no consideration was given to cycle infrastructure
As has been mentioned above, the subway was only refurbished and the 90 degree turn is temporary. The costs of making the subway larger would have been huge (assuming it's possible) - specially when the Vastern Road bridge (now) has designated cycle/bus lanes.

There are other bits of good news for cyclists
  • Cow lane bridges will have cycle lanes (though one of the old ones still needs removing - I believe scheduled for the May bank holiday)
  • 350 cycle 'spaces' at the station
  • Dedicated bus/taxi/cycle lanes to serve the station
  • The new Vastern Road layout will "support pedestrian and cycle access".

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Cow lane bridges will have cycle lanes (though one of the old ones still needs removing - I believe scheduled for the May bank holiday)

The Cow Lane girder bridge' could come out anytime now, as its tracks (the disconnected western access to the triangle sidings) have been removed, but the remaining brick arch underbridge (and that is the main obstacle) is still carrying the up and down main lines (the old reliefs). Can't see the latter being taken out until the mains are transferred to the new viaduct - perhaps by May 2014?

Parham Wood

I have a few questions on the track changes as a result of my first trip in a couple of years through the station. Could not see the answers elsewhere in the time I had to look.

1. There seems to be a blanket speed restriction over the whole station. Is this going to remain until work progresses further? I expected to run into the station a little faster on the down main to Bristol, although there is obviously a lot more work to do.

2. Are the up and down Bristol lines aligned correctly through the station and on the approaches? I could not tell when on the down main and on the up main we got diverted into platform 15. The down main obviously needs realignment near Tilehurst where it swings sharply to join the old alignment. When is this planned?

3. What are the intended speeds on the Bristol main lines through the station? I suppose as nearly all trains stop at Reading high speed through the station is not so important. Will trains be able to run at speed up to the main line platforms and just do a routine service brake to enter the platforms or will there be a mile or more of slowish running due to the alignment?

Finally full marks to all involved. It is a massive project to do and keep trains running.

JamesRowden

Established Member
I have a few questions on the track changes as a result of my first trip in a couple of years through the station. Could not see the answers elsewhere in the time I had to look.

1. There seems to be a blanket speed restriction over the whole station. Is this going to remain until work progresses further? I expected to run into the station a little faster on the down main to Bristol, although there is obviously a lot more work to do.

2. Are the up and down Bristol lines aligned correctly through the station and on the approaches? I could not tell when on the down main and on the up main we got diverted into platform 15. The down main obviously needs realignment near Tilehurst where it swings sharply to join the old alignment. When is this planned?

3. What are the intended speeds on the Bristol main lines through the station? I suppose as nearly all trains stop at Reading high speed through the station is not so important. Will trains be able to run at speed up to the main line platforms and just do a routine service brake to enter the platforms or will there be a mile or more of slowish running due to the alignment?

Finally full marks to all involved. It is a massive project to do and keep trains running.

This image on the link shows is a diagram of the track through Reading station once the work is completed:

http://richardwillisuk.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/stn-phases1.jpg

It shows that the speed limit through platforms 8-11 is planned to be 50mph although through platforms 9-10 100mph 'is achievable subject to future signalling improvements'.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
This image on the link shows is a diagram of the track through Reading station once the work is completed:

It shows that the speed limit through platforms 8-11 is planned to be 50mph although through platforms 9-10 100mph 'is achievable subject to future signalling improvements'.

If these are the final speeds, they do not even match those before the changes.
The Reliefs had a 75mph limit through the station (old p8/9, new p9/10) until recently (mainly used by through freight trains) .

D1009

Established Member
If these are the final speeds, they do not even match those before the changes.
The Reliefs had a 75mph limit through the station (old p8/9, new p9/10) until recently (mainly used by through freight trains) .
In my memory the speeds on the main lines have never been more than 80. It is correct that the relief lines used to be 75, but realignment of the main lines mean this is no longer possible.

Parham Wood

Thankyou for the diagram. I had seen it before but did not realise speeds were on it. The speeds seem reasonable on the basis most trains will stop. It does beg the question why are they not upgrading to 100mph through 9-10 now.

Nice slow approach on the up from Westbury (30mph) but I guess they did not have much room for anything else. It looks like a Westbury will not be able to run into platform 11 while there is a train arriving or leaving platform 10 to avoid the danger of any overrun collisions. Presumably there will be a signal near the 30/40 mph change to allow trains to reach this point and wait for clearance.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I guess the "future signalling improvements" is ERTMS. In the meantime it's probably a case of sacrificing maximum speed for the few non-stopping trains in order to space the signals more closely to minimise headway.

D1009

Established Member
Unless this has changed recently, the IEP timetables currently under discussion require 2 fast trains per hour non stop Paddington to Bristol Parkway. The recent article in Modern Railways suggested that the main lines through Reading will be aligned to allow 100 mph, but that the signal spacing will limit the speed to 90. I believe the plan is that the current blanket 40 mph will apply until the work is completed and the new flyover is commissioned.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member

The down main east of the station into and through platform 9 is in its final alignment. The up main is on a temporary alignment through the station until platform 10 is rebuilt (after August) but it only has to move a few feet to get alongside the down main and be finished.

West of the station the new main lines will be built on the new viaduct and ramps which will be broadly just south of the previous main lines. The general idea is that the structures will be built where the existing sloping embankment side is, and there'll be a significant gap between the two pairs of tracks, (ie the mains and reliefs) this will allow more space for the flyover boxes, and the various junctions connecting the west curve, the festival (XC underpass) line, and the new eastern feeder curve to the reliefs.

So there'll have to be a permanent slew from the west end of P9/10 to get the mains further over to the south than they were before, starting about where the present Westbury line junction is.

But I don't think any of the final major west end track realignment will happen until well into 2014, if not 2015.

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
There's complaint in the local press about the state of platform 10:

Since the station re-opened and four new platforms opened after the Easter break, furious commuters have been complaining they cannot get on to Platform 10 for the fast trains to London.

Ongoing works to the platform means it does not have the capacity for the crowds and people are being held at the top of the escalators.

Mr Wilson said: “If they knew the main through platform to London had work still going on while others had been completed, surely the sensible thing to do was to route the trains to the platforms which could take the most people rather than hold commuters at the top of the escalators.

“Commuters aren’t very happy with First Great Western.”

He said matters were not helped by the lack of helpfulness of the FGW staff.

Mr Wilson said: “There are basic customer service things that First Great Western is not getting right and to be honest they haven’t got them right for a long time. My impression is they are not investing enough in staff training and staff support.”

Network Rail worked over the Easter period to open new platforms and install the huge new pedestrian bridge with escalators to each platform as part of the multi-million pound improvements to the rail network around Reading.

Mr Wilson said: “It’s not a good advert for a new station where we have invested £850 million if this sort of thing is going on.”

James Davis, a spokesman for FGW said yesterday: “The width of Platform 10 at Reading Station has been restricted while work to bring more platforms into use continue.

“To help ease congestion at peak times we have been asking customers getting on trains from Platform 10 to wait on the passenger bridge to allow customers to get off the train safely before boarding the train themselves.

“Work to widen access on to the platform to avoid this situation started last week.

“It was completed over the weekend and was open to passengers from this morning.”

Reasonable points and it certainly has been crowded (not sure how much wider it is now, I didn't even notice that it had changed!). My question is whether there was an alternative to this situation - i.e. could an alternative pair of platforms have been used for the up main until P11 was completed? Also to what extent are FGW responsible - I would have they wouldn't have had much say over the order of building works?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Reasonable points and it certainly has been crowded (not sure how much wider it is now, I didn't even notice that it had changed!). My question is whether there was an alternative to this situation - i.e. could an alternative pair of platforms have been used for the up main until P11 was completed? Also to what extent are FGW responsible - I would have they wouldn't have had much say over the order of building works?

I see they refer to 'widening the access', not 'widening the platform'. It might mean they've just made the gaps in the hoardings longer, ie along the length of the platform. A major constraint is that the levels of the new P11 and the temporary P10 are quite different, (nearly a foot?) and they've used ramps and barriers that have reduced the circulating area that could have been provided if they weren't worried about trips and falls and stuff...

With hindsight perhaps they could have had another phase of temporary layout, with 7 and 8 for down trains and 9 and 10 for up trains, but with 9 the primary platform.

But that would have needed a temporary track layout east of the station, and quite significant alterations west of the station, all for just a few months.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
There's complaint in the local press about the state of platform 10:

Yet if due to overcrowding someone accidentally got pushed infront of a train and died FGW would be slammed for letting people on platform.
While its not ideal, for me in this situation FGW did the right thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.