• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Reading improvements milestones

Status
Not open for further replies.

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Yet if due to overcrowding someone accidentally got pushed infront of a train and died FGW would be slammed for letting people on platform.
While its not ideal, for me in this situation FGW did the right thing.

Of course we don't want people falling onto the line - I meant whether FGW could have avoided having to use platform 10 as the main platform for the up main, given that the number of people using it is a given and the way that the station works were done meant that the hoarding couldn't really be moved much until P11 is complete.

Thanks for the info swt_passenger - as I suspected, it would have needed quite a lot of extra work doing. Shame since, as noted in the article, it gives a bad impression to the big opening of the new station, on the users whose voice is the loudest.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

A number of Up fast trains are using platform 15 while the temporary platform 10 is the only designated Up fast platform.

I'm guessing this will continue when the new platform 11 comes into use (at the end of August) and platform 10 is closed for rebuilding?

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
.......Shame since, as noted in the article, it gives a bad impression to the big opening of the new station, on the users whose voice is the loudest.

The important thing to note is that the project is still a long way from being finished.
Only 7 new and rebuilt platforms have been completed.
There are still 8 platforms to be rebuilt, refurbished or finished off.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
A number of Up fast trains are using platform 15 while the temporary platform 10 is the only designated Up fast platform.

I'm guessing this will continue when the new platform 11 comes into use (at the end of August) and platform 10 is closed for rebuilding?

I suspect that after the August bank holiday weekend the newly opened P11 will be a bit more practical than the current P10, because the present hoarding line, particularly at the London end, is biased well over towards the P10 side, rather than running exactly down the middle of the island, IYSWIM.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Of course we don't want people falling onto the line - I meant whether FGW could have avoided having to use platform 10 as the main platform for the up main, given that the number of people using it is a given and the way that the station works were done meant that the hoarding couldn't really be moved much until P11 is complete.

Sorry that was aimed at the article not you that comment. I think the station is restricted and FGW probably did their best. Isn't it Network Rails responsibility for pathing?

FGW_DID

Established Member
Mr Wilson said: “There are basic customer service things that First Great Western is not getting right and to be honest they haven’t got them right for a long time. My impression is they are not investing enough in staff training and staff support.”

It would seem Mr Wilson is just using this as an excuse to bash FGW, what has staff training and support got to do with the platform 10 issue?

What he really means is that ' it's not fair that I can't run down the escalator at the last minute, risking my & fellow commuters safety because some nasty FGW upstart has put a cordon across the top and won't let do what I want! I have to be on that platform otherwise I have to wait another 3 days before the next fast train to Paddington, I couldn't possibly travel on one of those awful Turbo contraptions!'

I travel into Reading every morning during the peak and alight on said platform, it's not ideal but stopping people at the top helps the passenger flow & loading. As most people have said, it's only temporary, Mr Wilson should be glad there are trains running through most of the platforms whilst work is being carried out.

Wait till its finished, then if its just as *****e, then you can moan & whine to your hearts content (somehow he strikes me as the sort of person who will, regardless!)

RobShipway

Established Member
I visited the new Reading station over last weekend and as much as it is very nice, it seems to me that the only toilets are on platform 7, but there does seem to be toilets for the Disabled in a building to the west end of platforms 8 & 9, but no toilets for the rest of the population.

Surely with having 1 - 15 platforms, there should be a toilet block in the islands between each of the large platforms i.e 8 - 15 and should also be some toilets at the end where you have platforms 4, 5 & 6.

Surreyman

I visited the new Reading station over last weekend and as much as it is very nice, it seems to me that the only toilets are on platform 7, but there does seem to be toilets for the Disabled in a building to the west end of platforms 8 & 9, but no toilets for the rest of the population.

Surely with having 1 - 15 platforms, there should be a toilet block in the islands between each of the large platforms i.e 8 - 15 and should also be some toilets at the end where you have platforms 4, 5 & 6.

Toilets on platforms 12-15.

aleph_0

Platforms 4-6 are next to the original concourse, which also has toilets.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Surely with having 1 - 15 platforms, there should be a toilet block in the islands between each of the large platforms i.e 8 - 15...

There will be, they are quite clearly shown as part of the plans for the buildings that they have not started yet, on P8/9 and P10/11 they will both be at the London end.

It is NOT FINISHED yet.

TEW

Established Member
There's toilets on 12/13 and 14/15 in the buildings at the country end, they're not that big but they're better than nothing.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
There's toilets on 12/13 and 14/15 in the buildings at the country end, they're not that big but they're better than nothing.

On a recent visit ALL the toilets were out of action.
In such cases I would recommend a short walk to John Lewis for spotless facilities. :idea:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Looked at the alterations to the platform 10 hoardings, there's definitely more of a gap at the bottom of the escalators at the London end, but because of the level differences it has introduced a few yards of additional concrete steps along the length of the platform, ie facing towards the track.

Needless to say, people were using these new steps as seats, :roll: at around lunchtime. There seemed to be little or no staff interest in getting people to spread out along the platform - I expect they do this in the peaks though?

I'm not too sure about this bit, but there might also be an additional gap in the hoardings near one of the lifts?

TEW

Established Member
In such cases I would recommend a short walk to John Lewis for spotless facilities. :idea:

The ones on 12/13 and 14/15 are hardly big. There's only one urinal and one cubicle in the gents so it can't take much to put them out of action.

Ironside

I cycled under the cow lane bridges yesterday and saw some progress.

The main difference is the second or northern set of bridges. At the southern end of the northern bridges 1-2 tracks worth of old bridge has been removed. At the Northern end of theses bridges there appears to be a new section of bridge wide enough for two lanes and another similar sized tunnel next to it. What seems strange to me is the bridge only has a clearance of 3m rather than the normal 5m for new bridges.

Just found a short article with a picture of the work.

http://www.railtechnologymagazine.com/Rail-News/another-hurdle-cleared-on-reading-project

Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
The main difference is the second or northern set of bridges. At the southern end of the northern bridges 1-2 tracks worth of old bridge has been removed.

Yes, that girder bridge carried the western access route to the depot that I suggested could easily be removed in an earlier post (#139). I still expect that will be the limit of progress on Cow Lane until the new viaduct is built, and the up and down mains can be rerouted, to allow demolition of the remaining section.

joeykins82

Last edited:

Rich McLean

Established Member
Does anyone know what platform WoE Down trains now leave from at Reading. Haven't used the station since before the Easter blockade?

Buttsy

Established Member
Does anyone know what platform WoE Down trains now leave from at Reading. Haven't used the station since before the Easter blockade?

Mainly 7 at the moment, but could go from 8 or 9 if any issues. XC go south from 8-10 generally.

Mainly 7 at the moment, but could go from 8 or 9 if any issues. XC go south from 8-10 generally.

At some point, platform 7 will be out of use for some time whilst it is dug up, re-built and extended outwards towards a new platform 7 track alignment.
The new track is to be laid closer to the alignment of the old (now removed) through road.
The remainder of the transfer bridge staircase structure on 7 can then be completed to blend in with that platform's new canopies.
IIRC, WoE services will use 8 to 11 whilst this work takes place, assuming 10 will be back in use by the time this happens? (n.b. the new platform 11 will be delivered before then).

Is it me, or is platform and station work now progressing at a glacial pace, compared to the time period prior to the transfer deck opening at Easter?
Platform 11 seems to be taking an age to finish.

Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
The new track is to be laid closer to the alignment to the old (now removed) through road.

In fact the finished platform tapers over the length of P7. At the country end there is practically no build out at all, at the London end it is as you say widened out to where the old through line was.

There was a line painted on the ballast showing the eventual alignment a few weeks ago, not sure if it is still visible since the sleepers were dropped...

I'm told that P10 will be out of action for about 5 or 6 months once P11 opens. They'd have to start the P7 work well before the spring to meet the announced completion date.

Last edited:

Ironside

Is it me, or is platform and station work now progressing at a glacial pace, compared to the time period prior to the transfer deck opening at Easter?
Platform 11 seems to be taking an age to finish.

definitely seems to be a reduction in pace unless it's more complicated than it looks. Maybe now that they can only work on one platform at a time there is only room for a small workforce or it's cheaper this way.

Still, it's a nicer place to wait for your train that is now delayed somewhere else on the network.

SigTester

From what I understand at the end of the Summer (late August), over a 100 hour possession, a "temporary" platform 7 will be built at the London end of the Station extending underneath the Signal Gantry. This will have a platform edge against the new road approximately along the alignment of the previous centre road, I also understand that Plat 6 will also be taken out of use, with the temporary platform extending back over the platform 6 line in order to provide more room. This will allow the remaining length of Platform 7 to be taken out of use at western end and the "permanent" extension out towards the new alignment to take place. Also, as mentioned previously, Plat 10 will be taken out of use for re-building and Plat 11 brought into use.

Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
The temporary P7 is mentioned in the latest edition of the station news, although there's no details about where it will physically be the above sounds logical.

They've also shed some light on the timescales for P10's rebuild - in one of the articles they say this was originally not due for completion until December 2014, but they now expect to bring it forward by 10 months to Feb 2014, which fits in with the CP4 milestones as published.

(The significantly different dates were debated by mr_moo and myself back on page 7 of this thread...)

davetheguard

Established Member
I'm looking for a website with lots of photos of the station architecture as it was before the rebuilding. Is anyone aware of such a site?

I think the new station, overall, is a vast improvement, but it would be nice to have a few pictures of how it was on the computer.....

steevp

I'm looking for a website with lots of photos of the station architecture as it was before the rebuilding. Is anyone aware of such a site?

Could do a search on Flickr - there are lots of railway photos on there (and other stuff too) - search for tags

David Goddard

Established Member

As long as you come and have a cup of tea (or better still breakfast) while you are there then that is absolutely fine!

gwr4090

Any news on when the current ban on railtours and specials through Reading is due to finish ?

Status
Not open for further replies.