• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

RealTimeTrains website

spark001uk

Established Member
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

louis97

Established Member
Noticed a few anomalies lately, regarding return workings. This one today for example:

2P59 https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/G60898/2021-01-04/detailed#allox_id=0
Went into booked platform at pmh (4).
Alloxed 444018+444008
Then forms (booked back out of p4):
2P78 https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/G60912/2021-01-04/detailed#allox_id=0
Alloxed 444045+444012
Something not quite right?
This is the normal diagram, so nothing has been switched around.

The arriving service platform number isn't in black, so it isn't the actual platform number the service used.

Dibbo4025

The arriving service platform number isn't in black, so it isn't the actual platform number the service used.
In this case the platforms are right but the allocation for 2P78 is wrong - in TRUST as 4018+4008 same as 2P59

spark001uk

Established Member
It doesn't really matter which platform, the diagram of 2P59 continues with 2P78. The allox differed before they even ran.

Tom

The data that SWR send over had a number of set swaps in it but the final position was as is reflected on RTT.

2P78 shows
1am 444012+444029
7am 444006
9am 444045+444012

2P59 shows
1am 444029+444012
7am 444006
9am 444012+444045
5pm 444018+444008

It may have been that the allocation on P78 was subsequently changed after the point at which RTT starts disregarding allocation messages from SWR. The way that interface works means that portions of services start disappearing off X hours after operation, which would generate a new full allocation message for that train, but leaves trains only partially allocated the day after.

Paul_10

Noticed there seem to be some errors as alot of stations on the Barrow in Furness line for example are now showing as no report where that was not the case previously.

Same goes for other lines like the Cumbrian coast, tyne valley line, seems to be at stations which only report timings on a less exact detail level. Hope that makes sense.

Edit: adding a link too show what I mean. https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/S04427/2021-01-18/detailed#allox_id=0

Halish Railway

Established Member
Noticed there seem to be some errors as alot of stations on the Barrow in Furness line for example are now showing as no report where that was not the case previously.

Same goes for other lines like the Cumbrian coast, tyne valley line, seems to be at stations which only report timings on a less exact detail level. Hope that makes sense.

Edit: adding a link too show what I mean. https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/S04427/2021-01-18/detailed#allox_id=0
RTT have been having problems sourcing data for a few days now. I’d imagine that this trend has been common on other lines.

Freightmaster

Established Member
RTT have been having problems sourcing data for a few days now. I’d imagine that this trend has been common on other lines.
No reports from TRUST (i.e. manually signalled lines) were available due to data issues yesterday.

It's all fixed now though - here is the same train today:

MARK

No reports from TRUST (i.e. manually signalled lines) were available due to data issues yesterday.

It's all fixed now though - here is the same train today:

MARK
Hi Mark, Unfortunately still cant any SWR units on RTT this morning - would those data issues affect them and looks like the problems
still exist unless a reboot is necessary ? I admit I'm no IT expert.

Pleased to say that SWR units are now accessible on RTT...

Last edited:

Tom

Just an unfortunate few days with different upstream systems falling over at different times, really. The primary SWR allocations source (there are two for SWR) doesn't link to the train reporting system and was a separate failure that started yesterday and fixed this morning.

martin2345uk

Established Member
What's the difference between Path and Line, under Route? Here I assume UTH is Up Thames Haven, and UT is Up Tilbury, which are both lines the service goes over, so what's the distinction?

Screenshot 2021-01-19 194816.png

Tom

'Path' means the line that the train is/was on prior to the location.
'Line' means the line that the train will be/is on after the location.

Sorry to say that no SWR units available on RTT this morning and showing limited data being received. Hopefully this can be fixed like it
was yesterday.

pdeaves

Established Member
Someone send me this one, I'd be surprised if it fit anywhere

Ha, ha. Board at Fratton, walk through to the front of the train, alight at Waterloo without anything moving. (Obviously some glitch somewhere as unit numbers are repeated).

py_megapixel

Established Member
While I'm glad all these allocations are appearing, I would far prefer the TOC's efforts be put into producing some kind of open API for this rather than working with just one provider.

That said, it's better than not being able to find them at all, and I'm sure it will save the customer service teams on Twitter an awful lot of hassle responding to tweets from trainspotters...!

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I was just looking back through the thread and spotted this comment from the beginning of March:

It has taken about a year to get to this point so don't expect to see any more operators anytime soon barring a sudden opening of the flood gates from the industry and all operators dropping their allocations suddenly.

I mean perhaps "opening the flood gates" doesn't quite describe what's happened but we're at the point in less than a year where a vast swathe of services (perhaps even the majority?) now have unit allocation data with just a few holdouts!

Tom

While I'm glad all these allocations are appearing, I would far prefer the TOC's efforts be put into producing some kind of open API for this rather than working with just one provider.
Such an API does exist - but not open for various reasons including ownership. However, it's not reliable and various bits of data simply don't appear in it: some TOCs don't appear at all in it and others have most of their fleets missing. The TOCs are not that bothered about contributing to it as it's not within their world purview and up to 12 months ago few had a reason to be interested in it. There are various bits going on behind the scenes around improving but there are numerous problems around data ownership, data access, etc, and need to be resolved. The emergency (+remedial) measures agreements are making this easier.

It's worth pointing out that the now open data back in 2012 was made available to a select band of people in 2011 and into 2012 before it was made fully open, and there were public domain services using it before the releases.

RTT uses 6/7 different feeds to deliver all the operators, so it's not a simple "here's that singular API which solves all the problems" solution.

I mean perhaps "opening the flood gates" doesn't quite describe what's happened but we're at the point in less than a year where a vast swathe of services (perhaps even the majority?) now have unit allocation data with just a few holdouts!
Just over a third of services in raw numbers and distance travelled. Nowhere near half.